PDA

View Full Version : Desmond's face model

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 07:34 PM
So he doesn't have the same face model anymore? And he didn't have the same model in Revelations? I find that hard to believe. If somebody could find a pic of Desmond's face from the gameplay vids of ac3 that'd be much appreciated.

Sarari
10-06-2012, 07:50 PM
He's got the face he had in AC1 again. A little different though.

dewgel
10-06-2012, 08:04 PM
He's got the face he had in AC1 again. A little different though.

If anything, he'll have the same as Brotherhood. That was his best face. And it was more mo-capped than ever before. (Aside from Rev, which was a mistake in it's own)

But yes, Desmond will be looking very Brotherhoody in this game.

http://www.ubiworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Desmond_poster_EDIT-small.jpg

My computer won't let me put the image in, and it could be considered a spoiler, but that'll be Desmond's face this time around. A little bit more detail, a bit more hair.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I liked the ac1 face best. It was the most detailed, but wasn't mo-capped well.

dewgel
10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I just wish they'd stay consistent. I can understand time goes on and technology improves, and we need better graphics e.g. mo-cap, but to change the shape of his head so many times. Same as Ezio, he had a very long face in ACII, then in Brotherhood he had a peanut head and a smaller chin / lips (This is seen much better thanks to the better mocap when using the Florentine Nobleman outfit in cutscenes, his expressions are so much different)

Then Revelations. Wut da fuq..

Jexx21
10-06-2012, 08:36 PM
If anything, he'll have the same as Brotherhood. That was his best face. And it was more mo-capped than ever before. (Aside from Rev, which was a mistake in it's own)

But yes, Desmond will be looking very Brotherhoody in this game.

http://www.ubiworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Desmond_poster_EDIT-small.jpg

My computer won't let me put the image in, and it could be considered a spoiler, but that'll be Desmond's face this time around. A little bit more detail, a bit more hair.

That looks like Revelation's face, just without the beard.

Calvarok
10-06-2012, 08:42 PM
There was a leaked off screen picture of desmond. He looks like a way more detailed brotherhood desmond. The guy in the interview who said they're not using the same model as inspiration for the face is wrong, it's still him. The aC1 desmond was strange looking, IMO.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't get it. I think Desmond looked really good in ac1. His face changed in every ac game since. I hate that we are able to refer to the ac1 face or the revelations face and there be a widely recognized difference. I wish they'd keep a consistent face on every character. Des, Ezio, and Altair weren't the only ones. Caterina Sforza, Claudia, Lucy, and more, and now William, Rebecca, and Shaun. They all change and it makes it hard to stay immersed when the characters' faces keep changing.
Edit:What leaked picture? The one with Bill, Rebecca and Shaun?

Jexx21
10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
The changes really aren't that enormous, in fact, I don't really notice any changes to Shaun or Rebecca (beyond her hairstyle).

ApexMandalorian
10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
That looks like Revelation's face, just without the beard.

Yes, the AC3 Desmond looks like the Revelations one without the beard, but his face is sorta drawn in, like the AC1 face.

AC1: http://oi41.tinypic.com/2jg5yd0.jpg

AC3: http://imageshack.us/a/img835/3365/ac3desmondhead.jpg

The ACB face looked stupid. Chubby Ezio Cheeks, Chubby Desmond Cheeks lol.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
/There aren't any hd pictures of Des yet, well, none of his full face. And if there are, please show me.
Edit: Just saw your edited post.
Although we can't see his full face, I think it looks like he has an overbite, or his jaw is pushed back from his upper teeth. /Not sure if there is a difference.

ApexMandalorian
10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
There aren't any hd pictures of Des yet, well, none of his full face. And if there are, please show me.
Edit: Just saw your edited post.
Although we can't see his full face, I think it looks like he has an overbite, or his jaw is pushed back from his upper teeth.

Yeah, it's like they went back to the AC1 face and made it more detailed. The facial features are similar.

Upon comparing them, yeah, it's like the AC1 face. Definitely not like the ACB face. Really, it's not like the ACR face either. The cheeks aren't the same.

And are we still not allowed to post up this AC3 Desmond pic? Cuz I really want to post up a side by side comparison so that it's clear what I'm talking about. Because the face is clearly modeled after the AC1 face. Even the hair is curly like the AC1 hair, unlike the clean haircut of the ACR model.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 09:15 PM
No, we can't post it yet.

ApexMandalorian
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
No, we can't post it yet.

Ok. Judging from the facial features, it looks like it's more like this:

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/c/ca/Desmond_face_models_by_Michel_Thibault.png

Which is a lot closer to the AC1 Desmond and to the original model for Desmond.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I think so. From what little of him we can see in the picture and in gameplay, he looks like in that picture you just posted.

pacmanate
10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
So he doesn't have the same face model anymore? And he didn't have the same model in Revelations? I find that hard to believe. If somebody could find a pic of Desmond's face from the gameplay vids of ac3 that'd be much appreciated.

Not really if you think about it. They started development right after AC2 and they used Ezios brotherhood model for initial animations. Which means that they would have Desmonds AC:B face to work on.

ACfan443
10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Philippe: Because the one from Revelations, I would say look at a picture of Alex Amancio [former Assassin’s Creed Creative Director], and they’re really, really similar. I would call him more classic Desmond. So the Desmond that we’ve had from the very beginning, in all of the games except for Revelations, is based on an underwear model in Montreal, who I think is Jean Paul Gaultier’s [French fashion designer]... I think one of his favourite models or something like that. So yeah, we don’t use him anymore, but...

He says that since Revelations, they no longer use Francisco as Desmond's face model (AC1, 2, B) I don't know if that's true, but if it is, (like I said before) then I'm really p***** off.

ApexMandalorian
10-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Not really if you think about it. They started development right after AC2 and they used Ezios brotherhood model for initial animations. Which means that they would have Desmonds AC:B face to work on.

Seems like they used the AC1 face though. The Desmond faces degraded in quality. AC1 is higher quality than AC2 face. AC2 face is higher quality than ACB face. It looks like they went back to the first face. But that's weird though, because Philippe says that they don't use him anymore, yet the face looks more like his.

JCearlyyears
10-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I really hope that Philippe guy has no idea what he's talking about and that they do still use Francisco. I don't see why they wouldn't still use him. What sense is there in changing your character's face model?

andreja110s
10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
There allready is a picture of Desmond... With William, Shaun and Rebecca...

ACfan443
10-06-2012, 09:58 PM
There allready is a picture of Desmond...

Yes, it's already been linked on the first page (the new leaked one)

^that's what confuses me though, in the gamespot Australia demo (for the brief moment we we saw him) and the new screenshot, he actually looks like AC1, 2 and B Desmond. But Phillippe said they don't use the old model anymore? I really hope he was wrong.

ApexMandalorian
10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
There allready is a picture of Desmond... With William, Shaun and Rebecca...

And that Desmond looks like an HD AC1 Desmond. So I think either Philippe was wrong, or they made a decision to go back to him, or he just means that Fransisco doesn't "work" for them anymore. Doesn't mean they still can't use and improve the AC1 face. Because the comment could just mean that he doesn't do anything for them anymore, not that Desmond doesn't look like him.

LightRey
10-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Same model, new scan. /thread

ACfan443
10-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Same model, new scan. /thread

Not what Philippe said...

Calvarok
10-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Not what Philippe said...
He also said that the Revelations face was a different person's scan. Which was incorrect. Multiple Revelations devs said that they got Fransisco to come in and rescan.

I think he just made a mistake. It can happen, with hundreds of interviews every day.

ApexMandalorian
10-07-2012, 01:50 AM
He also said that the Revelations face was a different person's scan. Which was incorrect. Multiple Revelations devs said that they got Fransisco to come in and rescan.

I think he just made a mistake. It can happen, with hundreds of interviews every day.

I think he made a mistake with that Revelations comment, because the Revelations face looks NOTHING like Fransisco. That face looks more like Clive Owen than Fransisco.

rileypoole1234
10-07-2012, 02:04 AM
I'd say the AC3 Desmond looks the most like the guy he's modeled after.

Calvarok
10-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Regardless of what you think, the revelations face was created with the aid of a rescan from Fransisco.

SixKeys
10-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Regardless of what you think, the revelations face was created with the aid of a rescan from Fransisco.

True, I think it was mostly the lighting and the limitations of the old engine that made him look so different.

Evenesque
10-07-2012, 02:51 AM
All I know is that ACR's faces had Desmond using Adam Sandler face, and it was ugly as hell.

ApexMandalorian
10-07-2012, 04:40 AM
I'd say the AC3 Desmond looks the most like the guy he's modeled after.

You must be blind.... Look at the pic I posted showing the different age tests. Compare that to Desmond's looks in AC1 and AC3. Look at the jaw structure, look at the cheeks. The head shape of the Brotherhood and Revelations heads isn't even like Fransisco. Take a look at this pic, and see how the head shape changed from game to game:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8NBzyVNjAdZAAIhHSVUfRWUNLt6Ht6 exomGgUrL2GTDZGfQbsgg

Take a look at this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GcH4pitLKVc/T6-WTfdH6AI/AAAAAAAAAvE/3e-dUPdnqqM/s1600/Desmond+e+Randez.jpg

And take a look at this [SPOILERIFIC]:

http://imageshack.us/a/img404/2910/desmondfaces.png

And, once again, look at this pic which looks like Francisco:

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/c/ca/Desmond_face_models_by_Michel_Thibault.png

There is a point where you have to be honest and admit that regardless of what Ubisoft has said is the case, the AC2, ACB, and ACR models of Desmond Miles are MODIFICATIONS of the AC1 head to make it look LESS like Francisco. Calvarok, regardless of what you may have heard, the ACR head does NOT look like Francisco. So whoever said it was a rescan was either mistaken, or whatever they used to "rescan" Francisco was terribly, terribly flawed.

@SixKeys: It isn't lighting that makes it look different. It's the fact that they have been altering the head since AC2. Besides AC3, AC1's Desmond is the closest to looking like Francisco.

Evenesque
10-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Who IS that guy anyway?

ApexMandalorian
10-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Who IS that guy anyway?

You mean Francisco Randez? French-Canadian fashion model who modeled Desmond/Altair in AC1.

Moultonborough
10-07-2012, 05:19 AM
I just find this a bunch of nit picking. Yes, it's a little odd. But how does what he looks like affect game-play, Answer: it doesn't. As long as he has good controls it doesn't matter to me at all.

InfamousQ1987
10-07-2012, 05:29 AM
I just find this a bunch of nit picking. Yes, it's a little odd. But how does what he looks like affect game-play, Answer: it doesn't. As long as he has good controls it doesn't matter to me at all.

Party pooper :P

ApexMandalorian
10-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Well the thread isn't about gameplay. Why does every discussion have to be about gameplay? What matters to you may not matter to other people. And vice-versa. And, last time I checked, this thread isn't about what does or doesn't matter to you. And, if the look doesn't matter to you, then why even post in this thread?

ACfan443
10-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Continuity plays a major part in gaming and character immersion. You have a character which you've known and played as for 3 games, you don't expect them to suddenly have an appearance overhaul. Revelations' face was hideous. I hated it whenever the sequence ended and you had to return to animus island, just because I didn't want to see Desmond's face.

BeCk41
10-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Ubisoft... I don't ask you for much, just BRING BACK HIS BEAUTIFULNESS.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx1kisUqfX1qev7i1o2_1280.jpg

phil.llllll
10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Ubisoft... I don't ask you for much, just BRING BACK HIS BEAUTIFULNESS.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx1kisUqfX1qev7i1o2_1280.jpg

Amen! I'll never understand Ubi's decision to keep playing with the main characters' faces. It definitely doesn't help with establishing a character -- especially with someone like Ezio, who was highly regarded, not just for his personality, but because he had a distinct look. Of course, that didn't stop them from sending him off looking like how I'd expect his stunt double to look. Honestly, can anyone imagine any other major game series this? I can't, because no other company has been dumb enough to do it this gen. Just picture, say, Nathan Drake being unrecognizable from game to game. Completely ridiculous.

the ACR head does NOT look like Francisco.

This. I seriously can't see how anyone could argue otherwise... though these forums have surprised me before. Personally, I don't think the AC2/B models look like him either - even though, yes, if one looks they can see the evolution of the model from AC1-2. Still, looks nothing like the guy.

PaCmAn0894
10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
All game models look different from each other.

phil.llllll
10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
All game models look different from each other.

True for the AC series anyway -- which has already been established here.

Assassin_M
10-07-2012, 05:22 PM
We can safely say that the new Desmond is an Upgrade of AC I (except with the head looking more like Francisco)

Judging by the Pic and snippets of gameplay from loading screens..