PDA

View Full Version : Health does regenerate in combat and Connor is practically invincible

pacmanate
10-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Watching all these newer AC videos from E3 onwards with the new health bar has made me realise something, something I will only say now as it is pretty much confirmed now I guess.

Health DOES regenerate in combat, I don't care what the developers say... I have seen the health regenerate slowly or fast depending on how much health you have left. This annoys me as no regeneration in combat is better than slow regeneration.

Also, Connor is practically bulletproof! In one of the Making of videos they say how the caliber of bullets in the American Revolution were 3x as big as bullets used in military today. So why is it that Connor can take two shots from around 4 metres away in the back and only lose the smallest fraction of his health.

This is just a minor rant, it annoys me :| There is one explanation, to make sure the developers don't die when showcasing the game. My arguement to this is why not just make the health not deplete then like in past demos. I would like a straight answer.

BBALive
10-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Watching all these newer AC videos from E3 onwards with the new health bar has made me realise something, something I will only say now as it is pretty much confirmed now I guess.

Health DOES regenerate in combat, I don't care what the developers say... I have seen the health regenerate slowly or fast depending on how much health you have left. This annoys me as no regeneration in combat is better than slow regeneration.

Also, Connor is practically bulletproof! In one of the Making of videos they say how the caliber of bullets in the American Revolution were 3x as big as bullets used in military today. So why is it that Connor can take two shots from around 4 metres away in the back and only lose the smallest fraction of his health.

This is just a minor rant, it annoys me :| There is one explanation, to make sure the developers don't die when showcasing the game. My arguement to this is why not just make the health not deplete then like in past demos. I would like a straight answer.

Save your judgements for when you play the full version, as things like damage and health regen may be tweaked for expos (and things of that nature) so that players don't die in combat. They don't have the luxury of being given a tutorial, so they're being thrown straight in with a brand new combat system.

One thing I will say is if they made bullets do realistic amounts of damage, then you'd be getting killed in one hit. A lot.

Subject J80
10-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Why can't you just wait until the final game? What's the point of this thread? The complaining on this forum is annoying at times.

Assassin_M
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Take a Deep breath, Pac

DavisP92
10-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Save your judgements for when you play the full version, as things like damage and health regen may be tweaked for expos (and things of that nature) so that players don't die in combat. They don't have the luxury of being given a tutorial, so they're being thrown straight in with a brand new combat system.

One thing I will say is if they made bullets do realistic amounts of damage, then you'd be getting killed in one hit. A lot.

Actually I just saw in the eurogamer expo vid in a different thread and there were two redcoats lined up ready to shoot and the guy playing saw it and tried to run and was shot. He barely lost any health.

BBALive
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Actually I just saw in the eurogamer expo vid in a different thread and there were two redcoats lined up ready to shoot and the guy playing saw it and tried to run and was shot. He barely lost any health.

Annnnd how does the relate to my post? I said 'if' they made the damage realistic, which they obviously won't, since it'd be broken.

ACfan443
10-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think I saw health regenerate in the gamespot austalia demo

EscoBlades
10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Health didn't regen in combat in the preview build i played. In fact i died...quite a few times.

DavisP92
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Annnnd how does the relate to my post? I said 'if' they made the damage realistic, which they obviously won't, since it'd be broken.

lol oops, meant the guy under you. :P

Health didn't regen in combat in the preview build i played. In fact i died...quite a few times.

what you died in an AC game!!! you're not an assassin. lol jk, but seriously that's a good thing, I can't wait to see how challenging AC3 is. My question is now that health regenerates out of combat does that mean that doctors don't make an appearance in AC3 or are they strictly for poison"

l Khasim l
10-06-2012, 02:38 PM
In the EB games expo footage in another thread on this forum Connor fights a bear in the woods, and he (Connor, not the bear :P) gets hit ONCE, and it takes away 90% of his health. I am pretty sure that the game will not let you get stabbed 10 times with a bayonet and shrug it off.

The thing I am concerned by, however, is whether the musket volleys from lined up soldiers will kill you instantly. They should, but I doubt they will, bad players would cry too loud.

deskp
10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I've ehard several times that the devs say healt regens slowly in combat.

I don't like dyeing in games so i'm fine.

Azurefeatherfly
10-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I've ehard several times that the devs say healt regens slowly in combat.

I don't like dyeing in games so i'm fine.

Alex Hutchinson said that if you do not need to use the cover system in a third person shooter, then the game is broken. By the same token, if the player cannot die from being on the opposite end of a sharp edge, then something is wrong.

It is the one part of the game's job to try killing the player, it is up to the player to use the tools given by the developers to avoid being killed by either fighting or running away.

Jexx21
10-06-2012, 03:22 PM
not you too pac...

raptor41tr
10-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm sure the final game will be harder than it looks.

pacmanate
10-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Ah so the demos shown are tweaked to help the devs not die? Thanks for clearing that up. If you died it must be hard :P Just makes me wonder why they just have it so health doesn't drop at all.

Edit: Also I hardly ever complain! If I ever complain it's normally about Ubisofts weird marketing techniques. All I wanted to know for certain was the health regeneration.

SleezeRocker
10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Because Connor gains Power Pellets when he kills Bears and wolves and make Hawke into a boss! All for you pacmanate!

Lol im messing, I honestly wouldn't know since im trying not to watch the videos for AC3 so I can leave myself more awe-d but my guess...perhaps there is certain upgrade(s) that has to do with Health Regen? I mean i've read before that we don't get special armor (or any armor for that matter?) so perhaps we get perks for Connor? Idk for all I know, doing well in those hunting missions gain you the baility to resist bullet damage and/or recover fast? I don't know i'll find out in 24 days :D

rileypoole1234
10-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Well there you go, health doesn't regenerate and you can die. Is thisenough for you?

Obviously they change things for when you see them on gamepley videos or when people play them at conventions. Would you really want to see the player being killed over and over again when you're watching a gameplay video?

pacmanate
10-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Well there you go, health doesn't regenerate and you can die. Is thisenough for you?

Obviously they change things for when you see them on gamepley videos or when people play them at conventions. Would you really want to see the player being killed over and over again when you're watching a gameplay video?#

If you read my reply you would of seen I said thanks for clearing it up. And I also said if it regenerates for devs why not have it so they are invincible like the E3 demo.

misterB2001
10-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Alex Hutchinson said that if you do not need to use the cover system in a third person shooter, then the game is broken.

No he didn't. He said if you have a shooter that requires a cover system in order to survive in the way the makers intended, then bring out an easy mode where the cover system is pointless to use, the the game is broken.

GreatBeyonder
10-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I wonder if its anything like "Altair was never hit IRL, the Animus simply glitches due to desynchronization."

AssassinGame1
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I know right. Hopefully the game wont be TOO EASY

Evenesque
10-06-2012, 07:08 PM
First of all, they told us a long time ago that health regenerates to 50% in combat and then stops. It regens back to 100% out of combat. I don't know what you think you saw, but make sure that wasn't it before you cry foul.

Secondly, you've seen demos where 1) They haven't told you what difficulty he's playing on, 2) demos have a set amount of time to them when they're being shown to the public and it's not unfathomable to make the assumption that damage values and whatnot have been tweaked so you're not spending your precious 20 minutes being dead all the time and then going and writing about how the game is balls hard. Developers want people to play the game and focus on the stuff you can do when you're alive, as opposed to the nothing you do when you're dead.

Various members from Ubi, Hutchinson specifically, as well as many press previewers have said the combat is harder than previous entries, especially when it's your first time using it. All of these videos of random people playing a canned demo are playing it for the first, perhaps second time, and they're gonna be ****. Ubi knows this, therefore it would make sense to not let the game kill all of them for 15 out of their 20 minutes. When the game releases, they won't care, and it could be normal and hard as hell because people at home have oodles of time. Or they just change the difficulty.

And if none of that's true, I suggest not buying the game at all if you're going to try to get yourself killed all the time, focusing on a game mechanic rather than enjoying the piece of artwork Ubi crammed onto the disc you're using to play it.

Lass4r
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Guys, stop being so butthurt every time someone complains about something, it's a legitimate concern.

I'm sure that we can believe Esco though =)

Eskaminzim
10-06-2012, 07:46 PM
first of all, they told us a long time ago that health regenerates to 50% in combat and then stops. It regens back to 100% out of combat. I don't know what you think you saw, but make sure that wasn't it before you cry foul.

Secondly, you've seen demos where 1) they haven't told you what difficulty he's playing on, 2) demos have a set amount of time to them when they're being shown to the public and it's not unfathomable to make the assumption that damage values and whatnot have been tweaked so you're not spending your precious 20 minutes being dead all the time and then going and writing about how the game is balls hard. Developers want people to play the game and focus on the stuff you can do when you're alive, as opposed to the nothing you do when you're dead.

Various members from ubi, hutchinson specifically, as well as many press previewers have said the combat is harder than previous entries, especially when it's your first time using it. All of these videos of random people playing a canned demo are playing it for the first, perhaps second time, and they're gonna be ****. Ubi knows this, therefore it would make sense to not let the game kill all of them for 15 out of their 20 minutes. When the game releases, they won't care, and it could be normal and hard as hell because people at home have oodles of time. Or they just change the difficulty.

And if none of that's true, i suggest not buying the game at all if you're going to try to get yourself killed all the time, focusing on a game mechanic rather than enjoying the piece of artwork ubi crammed onto the disc you're using to play it.

^ this!

MetalCreed
10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Nope. You do realize this takes in the American Revolution right? People use muskets as their primary weapon now.

bluetoes1
10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
First of all, they told us a long time ago that health regenerates to 50% in combat and then stops. It regens back to 100% out of combat. I don't know what you think you saw, but make sure that wasn't it before you cry foul.

Secondly, you've seen demos where 1) They haven't told you what difficulty he's playing on, 2) demos have a set amount of time to them when they're being shown to the public and it's not unfathomable to make the assumption that damage values and whatnot have been tweaked so you're not spending your precious 20 minutes being dead all the time and then going and writing about how the game is balls hard. Developers want people to play the game and focus on the stuff you can do when you're alive, as opposed to the nothing you do when you're dead.

Various members from Ubi, Hutchinson specifically, as well as many press previewers have said the combat is harder than previous entries, especially when it's your first time using it. All of these videos of random people playing a canned demo are playing it for the first, perhaps second time, and they're gonna be ****. Ubi knows this, therefore it would make sense to not let the game kill all of them for 15 out of their 20 minutes. When the game releases, they won't care, and it could be normal and hard as hell because people at home have oodles of time. Or they just change the difficulty.

And if none of that's true, I suggest not buying the game at all if you're going to try to get yourself killed all the time, focusing on a game mechanic rather than enjoying the piece of artwork Ubi crammed onto the disc you're using to play it.
Ubisoft have never said health regenerates in combat, or even that it regenerates to 50%. They have only ever said it does not regenerate in combat, at all. Do you have any links or anything to back up your point? Because I know that Ubisoft have never once said it regenerates, even to 50%.

Evenesque
10-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Ubisoft have never said health regenerates in combat, or even that it regenerates to 50%. They have only ever said it does not regenerate in combat, at all. Do you have any links or anything to back up your point? Because I know that Ubisoft have never once said it regenerates, even to 50%.

I will have to hunt for it, but I pose the same question to you in the meantime.

Evenesque
10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1323996/assassins_creed_3_dev_talks_new_combat_regen_healt h_map_size_bomb_crafting.html

http://youtu.be/MBk8Dgw6_UA?t=3m16s

I was half correct. The 50% I got from a demo video that I can't find from Boston where he got shot by a firing line, ran, and his health went back up to 50% and then stopped, but I think that was him exiting combat, and then re-entering. But yes, connor's health does regenerate, just not while he's in combat.

ACfan443
10-06-2012, 10:12 PM

No one from Ubi ever said health regenerates up to 50% during combat. Alex numerously stressed that health will not regenerate at all during combat. Also they never said combat will be harder. Alex was actually asked this and he said something like 'you have to be able to chain your kills well/press the right buttons to get a satisfying kill' I think he also said that making it harder would put off newcomers

mattscat16
10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Why can't you just wait until the final game? What's the point of this thread? The complaining on this forum is annoying at times.
god this is so true

SixKeys
10-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Stepping out of my 'going dark' mode for a sec to give my 2 cents (SPOILERS AHEAD):

I was at a Dutch games con today where I got to play AC3 (avoided getting into open conflict on purpose because I was more interested in exploring and climbing) and to see several other people play the game while waiting in line. Health did NOT regenerate during battle in the demos that were available (Sequence 6, Lumberjack Rescue, some naval mission and some Frontier and Boston stuff). In fact people kept getting their asses handed to them repeatedly by the guards. Many times I found myself mentally screaming at the players to just run and hide as it was the only way health would start regenerating. Almost every single player I watched died at least once as a result of open conflict or animal attacks in the Frontier. (Avoiding wolf attacks seems to not be as easy as it looks in the E3 Frontier demo.) Make of that what you will.

I was a little disappointed that getting shot by the firing squad doesn't take away 90% of your health, only a sizeable chunk (like 1/3 or 1/4 of the health bar). It seemed to be possible to avoid their bullets by running around, at least sometimes. If you get shot by a firing squad two or three times, you're dead, but not if you get shot just once. Basic enemies still take Connor on one by one instead of teaming up, but they're a lot faster and more aggressive. The most dangerous enemy was some kind of captain of the guard with a blue coat and a hat similar to the one Connor wears in the Colonial Assassin outfit. He could get on horseback and shoot at you from a distance, like the horseback guards in ACB, and his bullets seemed to do more damage than regular guards'. Getting into a fight with that dude was bad news, even for the guy who played the demo for us on stage.

Guards will no longer bother throwing rocks to make you fall when you're trying to escape by climbing, they will just shoot you down. Multiple times. The longer it takes you to climb up the wall, the more you get pelted with bullets. That's an easy way to get yourself killed.

pacmanate
10-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply ^ :D

Soulid_Snake
10-06-2012, 11:18 PM

* argument

adarwinter
10-07-2012, 12:51 AM
i assume that in the final game health won't regen. UBI has said numerous times that it won't and it will be a rare case where such an important statement will be told if it isnt final.

and yeah - i bet ppl died often when trying the game for the first time. that's almost obvious that ppl used to AC games will die often as the combat is different in how it treats the defensive aspect of it. however im pretty sure that anyone who played batman games or sleeping dogs will not have too many problems, and im also sure that after you play the game for a few hours it only becomes easier since i doubt that the game will become really challenging at it's later half. it's AC , after all. it's an easy franchise with no difficulty settings. UBI aims that most ppl will finish their games to leave a good taste and if there is no difficulty settings in AC3 than obviously it means that the game is set on "easy" mode.

i just want the game to give me an option to play it a second time and have a more challenging experience than the first. with no difficulty settings and no armor upgrades i can avoid doing it's a slim chance i will find a way to play the game a second that and making it harder somehow.
i hope the counter icons can be taken out. maybe THAT's how i can make combat harder the 2nd time around.