PDA

View Full Version : Connor's Outfit is Authentic to the Period

Saqaliba
10-03-2012, 04:26 AM
So it turns out that the clothes Connor is wearing are historically accurate to the period and not just a stylization of the Franchise ‘hoodie’ superimposed onto the period.

The particular hooded jacket he wears is called a Hooded Capote Buckskin Jacket.

Connor would have been what was known as a métis person, which is person belonging to mixed heritage of Indigenous (Native American) and European ancestry due to the intermarriage of the various French and British fur traders with the various Native American groups (such as the Iroquois Mohawk). The word métis is the French for ‘mixed blood’, in which case, Connor would have been an Anglo-métis, having a British father and Mohawk mother.

The métis were usually animal trappers who dealt in pelt preparation and fur trading for the Hudson Bay Company. We know Connor has a loophole snare animal trap in his tools. The métis traveled on foot or by canoe. Starting to sound familiar?! The métis hunters were especially known to wear their iconic hooded capote coat, which was a white coat with a hood, often with tassels on the shoulder! They were white specifically for better camouflage amidst the snow in which they were hunting.

The term capote was originally used for a number of coats but only over time became associated with the woolen, hooded coat developed by the Hudson Bay Company. The coats were warm and designed to withstand the ice and harsh winds of the environment and so they were often constructed using animal hides. They extended to the knees and flared at the bottom to allow the wearer greater leg movement whilst running. And in some parts it was customary for the métis hunter to even wear a red sash!

I believe Connor’s coat is a cross-design between 3 types of the métis clothing of the period. The hood of the hunter’s capote. Connor’s hood is detachable, and when it is removed the jacket literally becomes the métis’ ‘red river’ coat or buckskin jacket, follows after the style of the Franco-European regimental fashion of the period:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1847/connorjacket.jpg

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/metis/metis_coat-1.jpg

Thus Connor fits perfectly into the culture of the métis hunter and fur-trader of the 18th century which perfectly fits into the garb of the Assassin franchised ‘hoodie’. So that the people of the era would not see him as an Assassin, but would just assume he is another métis fur-trader.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4233/metishunter.jpg

tre289
10-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Amazing information gathering/research skills.

A good educational post :P

Nice work, was a fun, and interesting read.

rileypoole1234
10-03-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm not sure Ubi was going for this exactly, but this is good information that I had never heard before. Connor's garb actually might not have been THAT out of place after all. It certainly explains the hood. I think the overcoat may just be an altered colonial style overcoat, but Ubi could certainly have meant it to be a metis red river coat exaclty as you've said. Nice find, I would have never though of this.:D

kriegerdesgottes
10-03-2012, 04:48 AM
huh I did not know this. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Saqaliba
10-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Ubi probably did go for the colonial style over-coat, but note that the métis themselves 'borrowed' this colonial style for their own culture. A good mixing of Native and European which kinda defines them as a mixed-blood culture. Also note that Connor is chastised as such in the game by the people in the towns. The will probably call him: Half-breed, Bois-Brûlés or Bungi

Ubi have expressed that this game is about Freedom v.s. Slavery etc. But I think Connor himself will capture the idea of the Noble Savage which was that was popular in the Enlightenment philosophy (specifically Rousseau, who was popular in the Lodges of Freemasonry) of the time period. It cannot be stressed enough how influential some of the dogma of the Iroquis peaceful ways actually influenced the doctrine formed by the Founding Fathers of America. Some of the very ideas of government where a direct result of the Founding Father's dealings with the Iroqouis. I am guessing that in the game, this is through the personage of Connor.

Turul.
10-03-2012, 04:55 AM
great find! I was always skeptical with their design choice. so glad it was authentic and purposeful!

xXRyzonXx
10-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Great Post!

It does make sense that the people would see him as a fur trader, and it makes it less "flashy obvious assassin"

Saqaliba
10-03-2012, 05:10 AM
I might add that Alex H. Has mentioned twice that they were aware of the hooded white robes of the fur traders at the time. I find it strange that they wouldn't make the connection to the half-Native/half-Europena fur-trading group. Thus, I think that it was the reason Connor was chosen to be an Anglo-métis intentionally. It fits perfectly. He is a minority group. The clothing fits in with the Assassin's hood. The fur-hunter thing goes perfect with the setting and helps with his character as an isolated predator type fellow.

It singles him out and yet gives him a place in the universe. He is neither patriot or loyalist, he is an Anglo-métis - the Noble Savage. It also fits into some of the prophecies of the Mohawk mythology of a savior of the nation coming from outside the tribal heritage. The one associated with the eagle.

NOLA_Assassin
10-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Did these guys use bows or firearms, or just traps?

Evenesque
10-03-2012, 05:47 AM
How do you know Connor's hood is detachable? In the homestead videos it's just pulled down behind his head.

Saqaliba
10-03-2012, 05:56 AM
They used bows, guns, traps, spears, tomahawk. Same as connor. Connor's hood is detachable, it is a buttoned on hood, but we have never seen it detached, only pulled down.

dewgel
10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
It definitely only pulls down and up. In the Eurogamer demo at Fort Wolcott, just before he leaves his rowboat, he pulls it back up.

Jexx21
10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Dewgel, the hood is detachable, Connor just probably never detaches it.

And I guess Connor.. *gasp* could be real!

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Dewgel, the hood is detachable, Connor just probably never detaches it.

And I guess Connor.. *gasp* could be real!

So put up a screenshot or something that shows the hood being detachable. Or a quote from a dev. Because, like others, seems like the hood is NOT detachable.

Jexx21
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
No, the hood isn't detachable in-game, the hood is detachable if the costume was real. >.>

NewBlade200
10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Did these guys use bows or firearms, or just traps?

They probably used traps most the time as it's too much trouble to hunt an animal constantly when you could just wait for it to step on a carefully placed trap. They then would have cut it's with a throat. They may have used bows to kill an animal that survived, but got injured. They may have also used guns if they had the money

Eskaminzim
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Great post, man. Very informative!

Eskaminzim
10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
So put up a screenshot or something that shows the hood being detachable. Or a quote from a dev. Because, like others, seems like the hood is NOT detachable.

He's not saying he will ever detach it ingame! He's saying the're buttons on his hood, which means it's detachable, but that doesn't mean he'll actually detach it.

Kulgrim
11-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Finish sequence 5 when Connor first dons the robes the Hood is detached. No screen shot needed you can watch it in full cinematic glory.

shobhit7777777
11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks for posting OP and good research work :)

Knowing this makes the Assassin experience more believable for me and hence more immersive. Thanks again

Caeser_of_Rome
11-05-2012, 12:36 AM
You guys know that the outfit is a Early Colonial French uniform right? They just added some stuff.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-05-2012, 01:01 AM
This is awesome! I always believed that despite the white and red standing out that all the outfits were more or less still acceptable for each time period and setting. During the first ganme, Altair's robes perfectly blend with the priests of course but also just the style of clothing back in. Plus everyone was wearing white and red: Templars, Assassins, Priests, etc. Then ACII is set during the renaissance when people were wearing ridiculous outfits all the time as TYPICAL clothing -- look at the doctors! Beaks! haha but seriously -- fine. Then Connor's also fits. Even Desmond's white hoodie is fine because would you really do a double take on someone wearing a white hoodie? I see them everywhere haha

Pr0metheus 1962
11-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I'd like to agree with the OP, but as a person who has done research on the clothes of the period, Connor's jacket looks nothing like anything that would have been worn during the period. People of the period did wear hooded coats - that's about the most you can say about it.

Rob327
11-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Well i respect the OP's opinion but we need more choices in the Campaign. I doubt very much there was anyone at Valley Forge or at the Boston Tea Party looking like this Connor character. They have to give you more realistic Unlocks. A Patriot Uniform, a Colonist, a Redcoat, Haythams Uniform, Washington (that'll probably come DLC), Daniel Boone something. The game just doesn't feel right having you play a character that looks like a mix of a marvel comics superhero and big bird. In fact i'm actually shocked they don't give you the different choices. Just seems strange.