PDA

View Full Version : Why change what works?

DiamondBlade_R
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
So I'm a bit concerned about the fact that they decided to change the button layout for AC3. More specifically, I'm concerned about the decision to change the free-running buttons and get rid of the low profile\high profile system. It's always worked well in previous AC games, and I've always liked the fact that you could just press 2 buttons and free-run smoothly - so why change it now and why complicate things unnecessarily? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Aphex_Tim
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Imo i think it's partly because the free-running was a little too easy. You had almost no input, you just hold a couple of buttons and Ezio/Alta´r did the rest.
I think this new control scheme will make the free-running a bit more challenging. At least that's what i hope.

ProletariatPleb
10-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Imo i think it's partly because the free-running was a little too easy. You had almost no input, you just hold a couple of buttons and Ezio/Alta´r did the rest.
I think this new control scheme will make the free-running a bit more challenging. At least that's what i hope.
0_o HOW?!?! It makes it even easier, only have to hold 1 button now.

rileypoole1234
10-01-2012, 09:56 PM
A change was long overdue. I'm happy about the change, Connor to me seems too quick and agile to use the same button layout. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but I do.

DiamondBlade_R
10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
The thing is that I feel the free-running is such a basic aspect of AC, that it doesn't need to be challenging. Just comfortable and natural.

Aphex_Tim
10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
0_o HOW?!?! It makes it even easier, only have to hold 1 button now.

I thought i read somewhere that jumping is done manually now.
Also, it makes it easier to control the camera while free running.

xXRyzonXx
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Because if they didn't change anything, it would be the same game all over again.

Mr_Shade
10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
change is good..

embrace and rejoice ;)

LightRey
10-01-2012, 10:27 PM
It had its limitations. Besides, as Mr_Shade said, change is good.

deskp
10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
What button is free running now? i liked using right trigger/r2

LoyalACFan
10-02-2012, 12:10 AM
What button is free running now? i liked using right trigger/r2

It's still the same, only you don't have to hold X/A to run up buildings and such. That way, your thumb is free to control the camera.

Personally, I always just held the trigger with my middle finger and moved the camera with my index finger. But I guess this way will be easier for those with smaller hands than me.

projectpat06
10-02-2012, 12:24 AM
I thought i read somewhere that jumping is done manually now.
Also, it makes it easier to control the camera while free running.

Connor will automatically jump just like in previous games where you pressed R1 and X. Now it's just R1. The automatic jumping is basically the safe jumping from tree to tree or from roof to roof, but you can also press X to jump off of things buildings, rocks or tree. It's basically the unsafe jump from what I've gathered. For instance in the fort demo, the person who kept making connor jump off the rock face was probably hitting x.

Jexx21
10-02-2012, 12:24 AM
It's still the same, only you don't have to hold X/A to run up buildings and such. That way, your thumb is free to control the camera.

Personally, I always just held the trigger with my middle finger and moved the camera with my index finger. But I guess this way will be easier for those with smaller hands than me.

Wow, no wonder free-running is easier on the PC.. you can always move the mouse when free-running, so thus being able to move the camera...

Lol.. so this change was essentially unneeded for the PC set up.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Wow, no wonder free-running is easier on the PC.. you can always move the mouse when free-running, so thus being able to move the camera...

Personally, I don't really need to use the camera that much anyway while free-running, since... y'know... I have to see where I'm going.

Jexx21
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I use it a lot so I can jump from a certain spot to another spot, that an sometimes I don't want to see where I'm going.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 12:34 AM
"Only have to hold 2 buttons"
Umm, you still have to hold two buttons to have the same freeunning as before. Only trigger is actually an alternate movement mode.

rileypoole1234
10-02-2012, 12:38 AM
"Only have to hold 2 buttons"
Umm, you still have to hold two buttons to have the same freeunning as before. Only trigger is actually an alternate movement mode.

What?

twenty_glyphs
10-02-2012, 12:41 AM
I like the sound of the new controls, though obviously I'll have to actually try them before I know for sure. I almost never found the need to jog over sprinting in any previous game, so I was always holding down both buttons. The new scheme sounds like it simplifies that. Plus Alex Hutchinson said in an interview a while back that the new scheme also let you do other things while sprinting, such as pressing the B button to pick up weapons or pressing X while in full sprint to assassinate. Previously, I always had to let go of A to press X to assassinate or B to tackle while running, which slows you down for a brief moment and was awkward.

I thought the puppeteer face button concept was interesting in the first game, but I think the previous games have pushed that concept to its breaking point. I'm glad they're changing it now. It felt like the "primary hand, secondary hand" system was wearing thin, and there wasn't enough functionality for the "head" button to justify taking up a face button. I think that concept really limited updating the combat system, so I'm glad they've just changed it now. I probably prefer buttons being mapped to general actions instead of body parts, since actions can be more similar than the assortment of things you might perform with the same body parts like your feet. For example, Revelations and AC3 seem to make the B button a general "interact with the world" action. So now you always press B to interact with shops, interact with mission givers to start their mission, and to synchronize with viewpoints.

Having said all that, I still wonder what the controls are for Eagle Vision/Sense in AC3. Pushing the left thumbstick button was incredibly awkward.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 12:47 AM
What?
Hold Rt and A, you move as before. Hold just RT, and you vault over and slide under things, and you don't run up walls or jump off ledges. Alternate moe. So really, iif you want you can play the game the same way. You'll just be able to do less.

dxsxhxcx
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM

and they say if we want to play AC3 on PC we should play with a controller... :p

Jexx21
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Actually Calvarok, I believe you still climb walls if you don't hold down jump.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Hmm. We'll see. I don't mind Eagle vision being on the thumbstick. You shouldn't have to be moving while you activate it and I don't find it awkward at all.

rileypoole1234
10-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Actually Calvarok, I believe you still climb walls if you don't hold down jump.

Yes, this is what I thought.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I specifically remember that they said one of the reasons was so that you would want to use just RT was so you didn't run up the edge of a doorway if you ran through it and brushed the frame.

Jexx21
10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
maybe that's just something the fixed in the free running system.

Evenesque
10-02-2012, 01:54 AM
How is reducing the run function from more buttons to less buttons more complicated?

You're mistaking depth for complication, and ironically, oversimplifying your argument about complicated combat to the point where it doesn't make any sense.

tre289
10-02-2012, 04:10 AM
So I'm a bit concerned about the fact that they decided to change the button layout for AC3. More specifically, I'm concerned about the decision to change the free-running buttons and get rid of the low profile\high profile system. It's always worked well in previous AC games, and I've always liked the fact that you could just press 2 buttons and free-run smoothly - so why change it now and why complicate things unnecessarily? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I have an odd way of utilising a controller when playing a video game... Let me share with you why I already know I will love these controls as opposed to how they used to be.

Any time I play an AC game, or even any game that has a sprint feature reall.. take GTA as another example.. I always always always have to have my hand on the a button wch is basically "he even faster button" While trying to play AC, hold the right trigger, and hold A to run (It's just how I have to play) Using the right thumbstick to try and move the camera is really annoying and painful on the fingers. This causes me to have to play with my right middle finger on the right trigger, bending my right index finger down to hold the A button, and keeping my right thumb still on the camera controls.

Sometimes I like to jump manually, but sometimes I like the game to jump when appropriate. Regardless, I always run with that a button, I like moving fast, but I also need a quick camera movement.
Running long distances in the AC games becomes a real pain on the fingers while trying to hold right tirigger, A, and maintaining camera controls.

Evenesque
10-02-2012, 04:40 AM
I have an odd way of utilising a controller when playing a video game... Let me share with you why I already know I will love these controls as opposed to how they used to be.

Any time I play an AC game, or even any game that has a sprint feature reall.. take GTA as another example.. I always always always have to have my hand on the a button wch is basically "he even faster button" While trying to play AC, hold the right trigger, and hold A to run (It's just how I have to play) Using the right thumbstick to try and move the camera is really annoying and painful on the fingers. This causes me to have to play with my right middle finger on the right trigger, bending my right index finger down to hold the A button, and keeping my right thumb still on the camera controls.

Sometimes I like to jump manually, but sometimes I like the game to jump when appropriate. Regardless, I always run with that a button, I like moving fast, but I also need a quick camera movement.
Running long distances in the AC games becomes a real pain on the fingers while trying to hold right tirigger, A, and maintaining camera controls.

If I had to play an AC game like that I just wouldn't play the game.

Also, why can't you just...not move the thumbstick? I mean I get why, but is it really that important? When you're running that fast you have to see where you're going.

I do understand however that I did something like that in Red Dead Redemption a lot, mostly because you had to manually steer the horse on the trails and I wanted to see around the turn as I was taking it, so I spent a lot of time playing RDR with my left index finger on the right thumbstick so I could move the camera. Not nearly as awkward as what you're doing though....

tre289
10-02-2012, 05:47 AM
If I had to play an AC game like that I just wouldn't play the game.

Also, why can't you just...not move the thumbstick? I mean I get why, but is it really that important? When you're running that fast you have to see where you're going.

I do understand however that I did something like that in Red Dead Redemption a lot, mostly because you had to manually steer the horse on the trails and I wanted to see around the turn as I was taking it, so I spent a lot of time playing RDR with my left index finger on the right thumbstick so I could move the camera. Not nearly as awkward as what you're doing though....

Yes, this is how I played Red Dead Redemption as well. I COULD not use the camera controls... but I don't enjoy playing using the auto camera all of the time, I'm the type to pretty much always be using the camera to look around, and maneuver it as I'm moving in the best angles. It's just my control/play style, I very much dislike not using the camera :P

HorTyS
10-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Why change what works? I think it's because they can improve upon what works & make it better. I mean, if you had an old tube television & someone said they'd give you an HDTV at a price you could afford, wouldn't you? Just because something 'works' doesn't mean it couldn't be made better.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
"When you're running that fast why should you need to see where you're going?"

Think about that. Not seeing where you're going means the difference between stumbling into a crowd and being caught, or jumping off a building to your death. Camera control when sprinting means more precise sprinting. Which is good.

imonthenet
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Being able to utilise the camera while freerunning is a dream come true. I know a lot of people have said you only need to look forward to see where you're going, but I thonk the feature will be a handy addition while treerunning, allowing me to spot alternate routes while still moving, instead of 'run along the branch, stop, look left, jump' I can 'run along the branch while looking left, jump'

Also the new control scheme allows for the 'safe' freerunning mode, which means no more frustrating moments being 'yanked' in a direction I did not intend and falling to my death