PDA

View Full Version : Uke-Smith

JTCoop
10-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I know, I know. This could reasonably be considered hi-jacking the entire forum, but since Moe already raised the subject (here - , I figured I'd share this with the group:

I was in my local GC on Saturday afternoon picking up my new-used Gretsch hollowbody (pics soon) and I noticed that my local GC is offering free UKELELE lessons every Saturday monring in October.

Not sure if this is nationwide, but I would imagine so. Hey, I've never had the slightest interest in becoming the next Don Ho, but what the heck? Could be cool. I'm planning to check it out. And, if history is any guide, there's an excellent chance I'll be celebrating HNUD in the near future. . .

oldmrwhite
10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Does someone need to own a ukelele? Or do you think one could practice on theirs?

JTCoop
10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Does someone need to own a ukelele? Or do you think one could practice on theirs?

You know, I meant to ask that question when I was checking out, but my son forgot to have them ring up his replacement tremelo bar so we had to do that transaction, and I was kinda excited about the new guitar. . . plus, my wife and daughter were waiting for me to pick them up at Kohl's so I just got a little distracted and forgot.

I'll see if I can get that answer for you today.

CrazedRacer
10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I think someone in the CAG Rocksmith thread mentioned that the guy at GC said you could bring your own or they would lend you one from the store to play on...

JTCoop
10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I think someone in the CAG Rocksmith thread mentioned that the guy at GC said you could bring your own or they would lend you one from the store to play on...

That may vary from store to store. My local guy said he "thought" we'd need to bring our own. But, what the heck? I'm going to show up just to see what's happening. They can't be that expensive. Maybe I'll buy one.

I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind this - although it seems to me they might have run this promotion early in the summer. . . I think of ukes being sort of a summer/beach kind of instrument.

WiiDaLoser
10-09-2012, 05:13 AM
I know this was more of a PSA post about a freebie. But I SOOO want to see uke support in Rocksmith.

Doesn't have to get the full-on treatment. Don't bother with note-tracking; just give us scrolling vid for uke songs along with the ability to slow down the speed. I'd settle for a lick or two every month

Never played uke before but did my first class the other day and I'm already shopping for a model. Too much fun and really easy to use, especially coming from guitar

JTCoop
10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I missed the class this Saturday, so I'm hoping this is a recurring class and not something that builds from week to week. . . WiiDaLoser??? Any feedback on the class???

I've got a bid in on a uke this week. Just waiting to see if I "win" it. ("Winning" an auction just sounds wrong to me. You don't really "win." You just spend more than everybody else. To me, that's more of a loss. . . )

WiiDaLoser
10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I missed the class this Saturday, so I'm hoping this is a recurring class and not something that builds from week to week. . . WiiDaLoser??? Any feedback on the class???

I've got a bid in on a uke this week. Just waiting to see if I "win" it. ("Winning" an auction just sounds wrong to me. You don't really "win." You just spend more than everybody else. To me, that's more of a loss. . . )

Felt it was a good experience. Instructor is a guitar teacher so it's not like they pulled someone from the storeroom to teach us. And they provide ukes if you don't have one.

He quickly asked what experience we each had with fretted instruments and went from there. Taught us a couple ways to strum and the best place to strum. Learned how to play two songs and the four chords used in those songs. Best part of the class is using the uke with some structure. It really gives you a good idea if you'll like it or not.

I got hooked which is why Im looking for a uke. Was gonna go basic (like kala dolphin or mahalo u30), but decided to go with a midrange starter (something like lanikai concert 21c or anuenue soprano). Gonna stay away from a/e models since I don't want to bother with plugging in. What are you lookin at?