PDA

View Full Version : The biggest mistakes about the AC series

connor_bg
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
As a player since the first game came out i've noticed that there are some things that doesn't need to be included and won't make the gameplay smoother. I've saw other people complain about those too. Here is a list:

First and most annoying thing for me- Why would you have a button bind for sheathing a weapon during combat when the weapon itself can be sheathed when just choosing it from the weapon's button bind or the inventory. I saw this option is brought back in AC3. And i don't see how sheathing a weapon when it is chosen as current primary weapon can be helpful...

Second- The same button is binded to grab a weapon from the ground. I hated this in ACR since instead of grabbing an enemy you take weapons from the ground during a fight... I know Ezio must be moved during the process of grabbing for you to avoid taking weapon from the ground, but that is not guarantee that he won't take the weapon instead of grabbing and leave his defence wide open for hits..

Third- I don't know how the movement controls are changed, but i hated in the previous games that when you play singleplayer and you freerun, when you tap jump while high profile Ezio will jump manually during free running, but in the multiplayer this option was not available. Why should it not be? I almost always fail at my freerun sequences in the multiplayer, because imagine that you are reaching the end of a rooftop and you release the button for freerunning so you can tap it back for manual jump, instead of doing that the game detects that the freerunning button is released and you fall to the ground instead jumping on another building as it will detect it in the singleplayer.

TinyTemplar
10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
imagine that you are reaching the end of a rooftop and you release the button for freerunning so you can tap it back for manual jump, instead of doing that the game detects that the freerunning button is released and you fall to the ground instead jumping on another building as it will detect it in the singleplayer.
Yes, and it always looks so stupid, ecpecially when you running away from the enemy :(

kriegerdesgottes
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I have said this a couple times now but the only thing I hate that has been implemented into the series is being desynched for being caught by guards. That is ******ed. If you want to make the game more stealth oriented (which AC was not necessarily made for) then you don't punish people for NOT being stealthy. You give the player the option of how to take out a target but you make it difficult to be stealthy and make it difficult to go in rambo style. I prefer to do a mix of both but I get desynched for it and it makes me want to throw my controller out the window.

connor_bg
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I have said this a couple times now but the only thing I hate that has been implemented into the series is being desynched for being caught by guards. That is ******ed. If you want to make the game more stealth oriented (which AC was not necessarily made for) then you don't punish people for NOT being stealthy. You give the player the option of how to take out a target but you make it difficult to be stealthy and make it difficult to go in rambo style. I prefer to do a mix of both but I get desynched for it and it makes me want to throw my controller out the window.
This actually. I tought about including that issue too. Looks like they've tried to make it stealth/assault which kind of made the game a two headed snake, which controls one body, at least this is how i see it from what i've played since AC2. But i don't think that the desynch should be considered as such a problem in this game since it has checkpoints. But they must have optimized it, it is the same company that made the most legit stealth game- splinter cell where the ai responded better to possible threads in the restricted areas.
From few view points- The game must punish you lightly for detection in this game with the final mission results without any desynch. From another point the desynch should stay so the player can polish his skills and to catch up with Connor's memories (which is the game's valid point). From third point (my personal best) is the game should let you countinue after you are being detected, but if you are not satisfied with the stealth interuption the game should allow you to restart the last checkpoint if you prefer to recieve full final score, this would allow for the veteran players to go for a challenge and the newcomers to beat the game with just wanting to track the game's story.

kriegerdesgottes
10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
This actually. I tought about including that issue too. Looks like they've tried to make it stealth/assault which kind of made the game a two headed snake, which controls one body, at least this is how i see it from what i've played since AC2. But i don't think that the desynch should be considered as such a problem in this game since it has checkpoints. But they must have optimized it, it is the same company that made the most legit stealth game- splinter cell where the ai responded better to possible threads in the restricted areas.
From few view points- The game must punish you lightly for detection in this game with the final mission results without any desynch. From another point the desynch should stay so the player can polish his skills and to catch up with Connor's memories (which is the game's valid point). From third point (my personal best) is the game should let you countinue after you are being detected, but if you are not satisfied with the stealth interuption the game should allow you to restart the last checkpoint if you prefer to recieve full final score, this would allow for the veteran players to go for a challenge and the newcomers to beat the game with just wanting to track the game's story.

I agree that there should be an affect of being caught when you are trying to be stealthy but ripping the player out of the game and making them do it again is ludicrous and ridiculous. The assassins are supposed to ADAPT. That was dropped in the first game as well. If the assassin is caught that means you run or fight your way out! That is what you do. The game making you start over is just stupidity.

TinyTemplar
10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I like the idea of full synchronization. You are allowed to go any way you want, but it's rewarded if you repeat ancestor's actions. I think it quite reasonable.

TinyTemplar
10-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I like the idea of full synchronization. You are allowed to go any way you want, but it is rewarded if you repeat ancestor's actions. I think it's quite reasonable.

LoyalACFan
10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I can understand having some missions where you get desynched for getting spotted (i.e. when you're trailing or eavesdropping on someone) but it has definitely been over-implemented, particularly in Brotherhood. Getting desynched for getting caught with my blade an inch from my target? Yeah, no thanks.

NewBlade200
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Their biggest mistake was dropping Jesper Kyd

Layytez
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
The biggest mistake about the AC series ?..................ACR.

TinyTemplar
10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Getting desynched for getting caught with my blade an inch from my target? Yeah, no thanks.

I don't like desynchronization too, it's boring solution :(

hadarm18
10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
yep in brotherhood it was so annoying to get desynced while detected 1 inch from your target

connor_bg
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't see the 1 inch detection to be different in AC3. Ubi was like- "Oh we did this, we changed this, we made that from scratch nothing..."

kalo.yanis
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM

My favourite missions were exactly those. I loved how they actually made me plan my approach.

TinyTemplar
10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
The biggest mistake about the AC series ?..................ACR.

Well... collecting flowers for Sophia was kinda fun)

D.I.D.
10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I can understand having some missions where you get desynched for getting spotted (i.e. when you're trailing or eavesdropping on someone) but it has definitely been over-implemented, particularly in Brotherhood. Getting desynched for getting caught with my blade an inch from my target? Yeah, no thanks.

How about this instead?

You killed the target but the death was incredibly noisy: the target screamed, or broke something as he fell and then the area immediately floods with more soldiers than you can safely fight, forcing you to use your agility to escape. If you try and win, you keep them busy but you'll be likely to lose a lot of health. If you run and climb, you can escape immediate danger but the soldiers will raise the alarm throughout that mission's area and you will be in severe trouble constantly.

I think a lot of people would quit to the last checkpoint at exactly the point where the game would currently call a desync anyway, but maybe the outcome would please people who want a more logical consequence to being spotted?

In case it's not obvious, I love the pure stealth missions and I wish there were more of them, so if anything's going to change then I would hope the devs find a way to keep the stealth rather than ditch it.

kriegerdesgottes
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I want to be able to sneak into a place and maybe take a few guards out rambo style if I have to. I want to have the OPTION to adapt if necessary like the assassins are supposed to. So if there is a target, I should be able to sneak in and take guys out sometimes stealthily sometimes maybe not so much but if I do get caught then the guards should come running in in huge numbers and at that point, I can run and try to blend in to the crowd or I can kill everyone. Neither of those options should be made too easy. That is how it should be. That is how is was meant to be from the beginning. Not this oh well Ezio did it this way so if you get caught an inch away then the game throws you out and you have to try again. That is so dumb. I hate that so much. When I replayed Brotherhood, I realized that that was the main reason that I didn't like it near as much. The game itself was decent but that crap just ruined the game for me because of how much it was implemented.

D.I.D.
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
So if you want a realistic response from the game's AI, would you welcome a situation where some guards break off to run and get help while others attack you directly?

I think that would be a good compromise, so that in order to correct your mistake you'd have to be careful about prioritising your targets. I could even imagine some players who are into 100% stealth deliberately creating a fight early in a stealth mission in order to allow some guards to alert everyone in the building, and then give their stealth game an even bigger challenge.

zainzombie
10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
It has to be how they gave away "Lucy was a templar" in a stupid DLC. I think it could have been a huge revelation for AC3 in Desmond's part. They should have made a big deal about it as it was a pretty big surprise regarding one of the most important character in the series.

kriegerdesgottes
10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
So if you want a realistic response from the game's AI, would you welcome a situation where some guards break off to run and get help while others attack you directly?

I think that would be a good compromise, so that in order to correct your mistake you'd have to be careful about prioritising your targets. I could even imagine some players who are into 100% stealth deliberately creating a fight early in a stealth mission in order to allow some guards to alert everyone in the building, and then give their stealth game an even bigger challenge.

Yes that sounds great. Because that opens options like running or standing their and fighting your way through. Both of those are wayyy better than just being desynched because of how you played it. I can't believe anyone would like that.