PDA

View Full Version : Any Cougar to Warthog converts here?

Worf101
09-30-2012, 11:56 PM
As some of you may know I've been flying this sim with a modded "UberCougar" for years. Halls effects sensors in the throttle and stick and machined aluminium gimbals in the stick. It has served me well BUT with the modded stick, the springs keep snapping. It's just a simple unadulterated fact. I used titanium replacemnt springs last time and I'm flat out tired of doing that all evening chore again and again... I'm effin' through soooo I've decided to go "Warthog". All the reviews have been top shelf on it and I can at last stop having to do maintenance on my HOTAS. I'd like to know the following:

1. How hard is it to program for the Warthog vs. the Cougar as far as IL2 is concerned?

2. I have gameport Simpeds. I've heard that you can use the base of the Cougar for the pedals and use the Warthog for everything else... this true?

3. Does the Hog "work" in IL-2? How bout ROF?

Thanks in advance...

Worf

Bearcat99
10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
@ $430+ I would recommend either a X-52 Pro or a CH Fighter/Combat stick and either a CH throttle quadrant or throttle.. my 2 cents..

Look Here @ SHQ
(http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3648237/Searchpage/1/Main/363337/Words/warthog/Search/true/Re_HOTAS_Warthog_Re_Review.html#Post3648237)

Sillius_Sodus
10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
The CH stuff is definitely good kit, I have the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals and they are rock solid.

That said, they are a bit 'old school' in that they don't have any sliders or rotaries and they don't do FFB. Other than that they should get along with the Simpeds.

Tully__
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
2. IL2:1946 and its predecessors will handle up to four USB controllers, the cougar base with gameport simped pedals plugged in would count as one. That means you can connect up to three more and it'll work fine. The only complication is that the sensitivity setup in the game only works for the first controller listed in windows game controllers so you'll need to use IL2Sticks or IL2JoyControl (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021) for easy sensitivity adjustments if your primary flight axes aren't on the first controller (or do it mandraulically in the conf.ini file if you're up to that).
To my knowledge neither utility has been updated for some time so it's possible they wont handle some of the new axis assignments in the last couple of versions. They should still handle the primary flight controls, but if they don't the mandraulic method is described at http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=261 It's an old article but the basics should still be valid.

Bearcat99
10-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Does the Warthog have the gameport connection or is that the old Cougar?

Worf101
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Does the Warthog have the gameport connection or is that the old Cougar?

Nope the WH is all USB and DirectX compatible. The big problem, which I'll have an answer for I suppose, if if you want to used Rudder Pedals in their "TARGET" software you have to have them hooked up to your old Cougar base and run em through that in order to use them and see them in the software. I was planning on doing that anyway. But the reviews are pretty universal that the WH is a VAST improvement over the Cougar and the TARGET software is almost as revolutionary. We'll see. I picked one up brand new for under $430.00 and that's a LOT less they started out.

Worf

Bearcat99
10-02-2012, 09:48 PM
OH you got it already? Great see you tonight.. I had a rough day today..

Worf101
10-03-2012, 02:00 AM
OH you got it already? Great see you tonight.. I had a rough day today..

Nope, not GOT, just ordered... I was on last night just to talk but I was all alone... sob....

Worf

Worf101
10-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Well the Warthog is here! Here's my observations and tips.

1. Well packaged kit. Looks good and is VERY heavy.

2. Dowloaded latest software from the net. Firmware, drivers etc. All upgraded easily.

3. You need desk real estate. Throttle is big, stick isn't to bad. Throttle will "stay put" if you loosen the drag on the body. The stick was moving so rather than screw it into my desktop I bought some industrial strength spring clamps from the Hardware store and just snipped em on.

4. Programing softare called "TARGET" is pretty powerful but the manual, though well written, could've used some simple examples or tutorials. I'm picking it up and have everything I want "mapped" BUT some keys aren't working as well as they should.

5. Tonight I'm going to switch out the new joystick handle with the one from my old UberCougar as they are interchangeable.

6. My Simpeds work with the Warthog by hook and crook. They're gamepad pedals, I plugged them into the old base of my UberCougar and stuck it under the desk. The TARGET software sees it and allows me to work with it easily.

7. I may be able to fly online by this weekend.

Worf

Bearcat99
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
God news maybe I'll see you tonight..