PDA

View Full Version : Historical Inaccuracy in Assassin's Creed 3

andre982d
09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Bluecoats, Continental Army in 1773 ?

The Continental Army was established by the Continental Congress on June 14, 1775.

http://imageshack.us/a/img40/7308/dco02.jpg

TinyTemplar
09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
How did you know that it's 1773 year?

Calvarok
09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Assassin's Creed is not 100 percent historically accurate, nor is it meant to be. They cheat when they need to, for story or gameplay. And those soldiers are probably not meant to be officialy part of the army at that point in time. It's funny that you made a topic with such a sweeping subject, and only gave one exampe.

eagleforlife1
09-29-2012, 09:02 PM
How did you know that it's 1773 year?

The Boston Tea Part took place on December 1773.

pacmanate
09-29-2012, 09:02 PM
If I am honest this does not affect me. An ant crawling on my hand affects me more than this!

TinyTemplar
09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
The Boston Tea Part took place on December 1773.

Yeah, I've just figured out what video it was)

Alpha_SOLDIER_X
09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Really? You're nitpicking about THIS!? It's the french army.

LoyalACFan
09-29-2012, 09:37 PM

At the Boston Tea Party???

Alpha_SOLDIER_X
09-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok, Maybe that is an inaccuracy, but it very well could be some British hating french people who just happen to be at the dock, and they dressed up at the Boston tea party anyways.

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 09:51 PM
How do you know that's the continental army? And if they were, why would they be fighting Connor, he's helping them...

LoyalACFan
09-29-2012, 09:53 PM
How do you know that's the continental army? And if they were, why would they be fighting Connor, he's helping them...

They're not fighting him. In fact, they're not even looking at him, they're just kind of hangin' out while he kills a Redcoat.

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 09:56 PM
They're not fighting him. In fact, they're not even looking at him, they're just kind of hangin' out while he kills a Redcoat.

I see that now. And it's not like in 1775, when the army was officially made, all of a sudden the soldiers magically donned Blue Coats all at the same time, like they'd never existed before. I think 2 years before it's official founding is well within reason to see a precursor force. The marines were around for decades before they were actually called Marines.

eagleforlife1
09-29-2012, 09:58 PM

It bothers me. I am such a fan of AC because it connects with history and I love history.

there76
09-29-2012, 10:01 PM
They are colonial militia men.

Here are some reenactor of militia men of that time period.
http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/image-files/patriots-day-4.jpg

Calvarok
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
It bothers me. I am such a fan of AC because it connects with history and I love history.
As said, they KNOW about these sorts of things. They have extensive research when making each game. If they're historically inaccurate, it is almost always because it makes the gameplay work better, it makes the story easier to follow, or they didn't have the resources to be totally accurate.

GreatBeyonder
09-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I believe blue was the traditional color of most local militias before they formed the CA.

kudos17
09-29-2012, 10:41 PM
I bet I can nitpick harder. Fort Wolcott, as featured in a later level, wasn't named that till after the Revolutionary War.

Oh, and the fact that there wasn't any substantial killing AT ALL during the Boston Tea Party, yet Connor and pals seem to be massacring Redcoats by the dozens. Though, admittedly, the Templars could've covered up that in the history books, like they covered up the fact that there was a freakin' Assassin there.

SteelCity999
09-29-2012, 10:48 PM
They do have to make some adjustments so that gameplay is easier. The colonists didn't really have uniforms until later in the war, if at all in some areas. You have to accept that the bluecoats are just locals and are not affiliated with the British.

Calvarok
09-29-2012, 11:04 PM
I bet I can nitpick harder. Fort Wolcott, as featured in a later level, wasn't named that till after the Revolutionary War.

Oh, and the fact that there wasn't any substantial killing AT ALL during the Boston Tea Party, yet Connor and pals seem to be massacring Redcoats by the dozens. Though, admittedly, the Templars could've covered up that in the history books, like they covered up the fact that there was a freakin' Assassin there.
Yes, and that actually falls in line with the rolling out of propaganda at the time. It was really coming into its own, and in real life for all we know there was a lot more killing than was reported. As for things like the fort, that's just one of those htings they do to make things more familiar for the player. Such as the Byzantines not actually being called that, but instead the "eastern Roman empire".

They wanted them as enemies to be distinct from Rome, where the player had just spent the last game.

This way, players who knew abut theo fort beforehand can easily understand where they are. AC is not meant to be a replacement for a history book, as Corey May said, but to give you the basic flavour of the time and put you in the midst of key events.