PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft UK spending £4 million on Assassin's Creed 3 marketing

catkiller97
09-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Ubisoft UK spending £4 million on Assassin's Creed 3 marketing (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370630/ubisoft-uk-spending-pound4-million-on-assassins-creed-3-marketing/)

Sequel to receive 'biggest marketing push ever' from publisher

Based on the strength of the IP and the success of previous entries, Assassin's Creed 3 stands a good chance of being one of the most successful games of 2012. Ubisoft UK isn't planning on coasting on past successes however, and is reportedly spending £4 on marketing the sequel.

anik_lc
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
http://images.vg247.com/current//2012/09/acIII.jpg

Ubisoft wants that Christmas number one spot. The publisher has set aside over £4 million for its Assassin’s Creed 3 ad campaign, the biggest marketing spend in the company’s history.

FIFA 13 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 are expected to do battle for the Xmas throne. Ubisoft’s seriousness at pushing AC3 means a third contender has arrived.

Visitors to this week’s Eurogamer Expo may have noticed a pretty significant advertising campaign that sweeps across Earl’s Court train station. Expect to see more adverts in various London Underground stops and online.

“Assassin’s Creed 3 is the culmination of three years’ hard work from a team which is at the top of its game,” senior brand manager Matt Benson discussed with MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/4m-war-chest-for-assassin-s-creed-iii-ad-assault/0103681).

“Our spend is in excess of £4m across marketing and trade activity, which is the largest amount we have ever committed for an Assassin’s Creed campaign.”

AC3 will arrive in North American consoles on October 30, followed by Europe on October 31. The PC release comes on November 20 and 23 respectively, with the Wii U edition showing itself on November 18 and 30.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/28/ubisoft-to-spend-4-million-on-assassins-creed-3-marketing-campaign/

MT4K
09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Merged threads :D.

Chariflame
09-28-2012, 12:45 PM
"...and is reportedly spending £4 on marketing the sequel."

4 quid? Wow, that's really breaking the bank. :P
In all seriousness, that's pretty great. I always get butterflies in my stomach when I see a billboard or advert for an AC game.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
;)

Least this year people shouldn't be worried about not seeing any adverts ;)

deskp
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM
wow, the game propably wont even sell 4 million copies in the uk

Mr_Shade
09-28-2012, 01:00 PM
wow, the game propably wont even sell 4 million copies in the uk
I think you may be surprised.. ;)

IceHot100
09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
No Idea, why FIFA and Call of Duty are the top contenders? FIFA? seriously? they make annual releases with little significant imrprovements. And AC3 shouldn't be compared to these worthless games. It deserves much more!

almostmorning
09-28-2012, 01:24 PM
"These Britains are crazy!" [Asterix]

lightlamp
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
When i was watching the dark knight rises in the UK the Rise trailer was shown and that was back in July. It will be interesting to see what the marketing is about to Appeal to the UK i don't think it would be wise to show Connor killing redcoats

De Filosoof
09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Fifa and CoD....Ha.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
When i was watching the dark knight rises in the UK the Rise trailer was shown and that was back in July. It will be interesting to see what the marketing is about to Appeal to the UK i don't think it would be wise to show Connor killing redcoats
well as said many times - everyone [apart from the native Americans] in the game is european, with most being from England, it's only much later in the game - or the Native Americans - are they classes as 'American'

So - it's a very similar game to others in some respects..

So TLDR, everyone apart from the Native Americans, is kinda from England / Europe anyway.. so I personally can't see the problem - Connor is a equal ops killer - he is just killing the templars and fighting injustice - no matter the side ;)

lightlamp
09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
well as said many times - everyone [apart from the native Americans] in the game is european, with most being from England, it's only much later in the game - or the Native Americans - are they classes as 'American'

So - it's a very similar game to others in some respects..

So TLDR, everyone apart from the Native Americans, is kinda from England / Europe anyway.. so I personally can't see the problem - Connor is a equal ops killer - he is just killing the templars and fighting injustice - no matter the side ;)
Yeah i know but i don't think the average person who would see any of these ads will know that. I fear a lot of people will just see a tomahawk go through a redcoat and they will think "wtf is this im not buying this"

Mr_Shade
09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah i know but i don't think the average person who would see any of these ads will know that. I fear a lot of people will just see a tomahawk go through a redcoat and they will think "wtf is this im not buying this"
well if they know who a redcoat is.. they may know it was a civil war [english] but fought on foreign soil ;)

If not, I'm sure there will be enough info about for them to read closer to launch, or pointed out on forums elsewhere ;)

Turul.
09-28-2012, 02:36 PM
tryingto compete with fifa and CoD black ops?

with a game thats already been called "anti-british"?

silly move ubisoft

anik_lc
09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
;)

Least this year people shouldn't be worried about not seeing any adverts ;)

There's already loads of AC III media, much more than previous AC. I hope this will not impact on reviews. :)

POP1Fan
09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
No Idea, why FIFA and Call of Duty are the top contenders? FIFA? seriously? they make annual releases with little significant imrprovements. And AC3 shouldn't be compared to these worthless games. It deserves much more!

Because football is a way of life in UK. They are very proud of it.

NOLA_Assassin
09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
No matter what you think of the games, you cannot deny they sell very well.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Well Fifa - is already out.. so that won't be a major concern for the game's release - however christmas sales may ;)

As to COD - different game type as is fifa - and there's room for all in most peoples game collection.

Sushiglutton
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Is that a lot? What is the typical AC UK marketing budget? For Blops/Fifa? I mean it's roughly equivalent to a hundred thousand copies. Doesn't sound that hard to sell more than that thanks to marketing. But what do I know lol.

ACfan443
09-28-2012, 04:04 PM
AC3 is innovation
COD and FIFA are copy&paste with a lick of cheap paint.
I really hope this marketing strategy pays off and AC3 sells millions. I can't wait to see the adverts on tv :D

freddie_1897
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I live in England, FIFA is very popular here, but not with me, i know a lot of people buying it. however, BLOPS 2 is not, a lot of the people i know who have bought all previous CoD games aren't buying black ops 2. i don't think its going to go as well as expected

lukaszep
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
£4 million, is that all? The way marketing has been going lately, not even a month before launch I would have guessed higher.
But I guess that is quite a lot to spend on the UK marketing, as it's tiny compared to the US and the rest of Europe.

Serrachio
09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
£4 million, is that all? The way marketing has been going lately, not even a month before launch I would have guessed higher.
But I guess that is quite a lot to spend on the UK marketing, as it's tiny compared to the US and the rest of Europe.

You also have to take the exchange rate from dollars to pounds sterling into consideration. Since £1 is around $1.60, that's about $6.4 million.

pacmanate
09-28-2012, 05:11 PM

God knows why.

Ubi are going to say compete with Fifa and CoD because they are big games. CoD always sells more every year and Fifa does sell pretty well. I think AC3 will surpass Fifa sales but not CoD. Too many people play it. Heck even I do but thats not the point.

projectpat06
09-29-2012, 06:31 AM
I wonder how much they are going to spend on Marketing state side. I don't know how much marketing has been done the UK, but I imagine we'll all be seeing more frequent marketing especially commercials as the holiday season gets closer. The hard core fans and innovator class buyers won't need much marketing to convince them. Instead it will be there to attract the other types of buyers when competing with other game producers for the holiday demand.

MetalCreed
09-29-2012, 06:49 AM
around 600k pre orders in the USA for the 360/PS3 versions of the game.
Then there's Canada, Europe, Australia, other countries, as well as Nintendo gamers and PC gamers buying the game.

It'll sell more in Europe/Asia/Canada than in the U.S maybe as ironic as it is..Halo 4 and CODBOII are above AC3 in pre-orders in the United States.

Best of luck to Ubisoft :D

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 07:46 AM
4 Million pounds...

I could pay fully for my college and then apply for a PHD, get a nice car, nice house, A Dog, A new Stove, A Fridge...Oh Assassins Creed ? Yeah.. ah.. well... best of luck, Ubisoft

MetalCreed
09-29-2012, 07:59 AM
4 Million pounds...

I could pay fully for my college and then apply for a PHD, get a nice car, nice house, A Dog, A new Stove, A Fridge...Oh Assassins Creed ? Yeah.. ah.. well... best of luck, Ubisoft

It's odd how you mention a fridge and a new stove :o