PDA

View Full Version : whats the best guitar or string or pickups for this game

rapetheland
09-26-2012, 05:02 AM
it seems to miss notes when im tuned in drop d

rcole_sooner
09-26-2012, 05:09 AM
This is a common issue among new guitarists, and even experienced guitarists (like me). Use a lighter touch, and be sure you are pressing straight down.

I sometimes will tune a little flat, if I seem to always be fretting sharp, but it is better to just adjust my fingering pressure and style.

The best guitar, strings, and pups, is all a matter of personal taste.

I use a variety of 2 of the 3, but I do always use GHS Boomer strings in both 9s and 10s. Others use a wide variety of strings.

Vector_Shift
09-26-2012, 05:12 AM
I have a cheapo guitar, and it doesn't like drop D. Sometimes if I play one fret too low it will register, but then it sounds awful. If I want it to work well, I have to go to the precision tuner like 5 times every time I switch tunings. If you want something that works well, you're probably gonna have to pay more (than I did).

rcole_sooner
09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Good point, Vector_shift.

I do go through the precision tuner, at least twice, during retuning, as the first pass will leave the previous strings out of tune (i.e. the low E string).

Also I will stop the string from vibrating before being accepted, even in the precision tuning, if it is not dead on. Adjust tuning on it and repeat. Even the precision tuner leaves a lot of space either side of in tune.

"Better" guitar or not, it just takes a lighter more precise touch with detuned "floppy" strings. I think it gives us all trouble to some degree, we just get used to it with practice.

randomas
09-26-2012, 11:53 PM
The only thing (gear wise) that will make a difference is having a fixed bridge rather than a tremolo bridge.

C.Linton
09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
The only thing (gear wise) that will make a difference is having a fixed bridge rather than a tremolo bridge.

It doesn't have to. I use a Strat with a tremelo, and it makes no difference whatsoever, as I don't use the tremelo, the bridge is effectively "pinned" to the body having added two extra springs.

Braintrust18
09-27-2012, 04:43 PM
You will want a fixed bridge guitar with 6 strings. (tremmelo could make tuning harder, extra strings take more work to mute). The game uses 21 frets at max. If you buy a guitar online it may need to be setup by a luther. This should cost about $20 and may take a few hours to a few days depending on the luthers schedule. So include that in your cost comparison.