PDA

View Full Version : Reward update : No more level up at every 5 levels

Barra_Cuda
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
From patch notes, this concerned me.

"Reward update : No more level up at every 5 levels, now more important rewards at the end of every solo campaign mission. "

Is there going to be more campaign mission? as this did not even come up to 1000 seals completeing what is there. Are you spreading it more over levels?

Gloignar
09-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I fear/believe that this is just a way of earning more money, the removed the lvl 5 bonus so that more people will buy seals.

Of course there will be some more campain missions in the future, but never enough to compensate for the loss of the every lvl 5 bonus AND the 50 seals less at every lvl up...

Sad that this will probably make this a 'pay to win' kind of game...

Also, btw, the prices are WAY to high.. I would have to pay I believe 40 dolars for those 32 backs (3000 seals), but I will never get 4 of every card in those 32 boosters, so I'm paying the price of a full game (like Might and Magic Heroes 6), but I will not have access to all the content (all the cards), I would probably have to invest around 200 dolars to have 4 of every card (specialy because there is no way to buy single cards)....I don't see how that is fair...

Love the game, but I don't like the path that they seem to be taken... I was REALY happy with the system of the closen beta where you could get real competitive decks (I was top 40) playing for free, now I believe that this will not be possible anymore... or there must be A LOT more of campains (like one new campain every week)...

Mryth01
09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I fear/believe that this is just a way of earning more money, the removed the lvl 5 bonus so that more people will buy seals.[...]

I agree fully and it doesnt help, just as You pointed out, that those micro-transactions aren't that micro at all.

r3tsa
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Well yeah, i basically find playing somewhat pointless.

Narkon27
09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
This is the idea behind every ccg game out there. To gain access to the full game you have to pay a lot more than you would for a PC or a board game. I haven't played the game yet because I didn't make it to the closed beta, so I'm not sure how much it would hurt the game a bonus every 5 levels.

As someone who played MtG for more than 10 years (I quit 3 years ago) I agree with you that most online ccgs that cost a lot often fail after 1-2 years. Just look at all the mmos the last 5 years which turned to a fremium direction after trying monthly subscriptions or similar methods. What many games offer lately is a way to play the game for free, but you need to invest a lot of time to enjoy the game. So it comes down to "time vs cost", which in my opinion is a fair trade.

Now, M&M universe is one of my favorites and I'm sure many other players feel the same, so I'll have to give it a try before I decide if I'll keep playing or not.

lukas721
09-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Let's try compare to MtG on-line pay to play, pay to customise your deck, pay and not sure to win. Let's be honest all on-line TCG, CCG are same.
Here we can play for free, have boosters for free in good amount, and can try to fight for win.
I'm playing TCG, CCG, LCG for over 10 years and lost so much money on it and I can say I have or had decks or pretty good level but talking about having all cards x4 to make any deck?
PPL I think you don't know what are you saying and here you want this possibility for free? (Santa Claus is coming to town). Rethink it making it in mind that for example some cards in MtG cost over 30$ (1 piece), 1 deck come with total price over 200$ (60 cards). Here you want over 200 cards (4 cards each type) for 200$?
You found wrong hobby mate TCG, CCG are expensive if wana be in top you need cash and not some but loads, here I hope to be decent level for free and top for some investment, will see if it works, because i refuse to pay as in MtG on-line same amount of $$$ for virtual cards as for real cards, time will show.

r3tsa
09-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I dont get it, how both of you can be so stupid that you gave up your consumers rights. Oo

lukas721
09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
r3tsa, you are more use to mmo's not TCG's that is why you see ubisoft move as downgrage but I see it as move forward on TCG's market. It's as simple as it is.

They after CBT could say all medals will be cash only.

Le.Rancord
09-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Well, this was clear actually and I find it ok, as long as the auction house comes.

Gloignar
09-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Let's try compare to MtG on-line pay to play, pay to customise your deck, pay and not sure to win. Let's be honest all on-line TCG, CCG are same.
Here we can play for free, have boosters for free in good amount, and can try to fight for win.
I'm playing TCG, CCG, LCG for over 10 years and lost so much money on it and I can say I have or had decks or pretty good level but talking about having all cards x4 to make any deck?
PPL I think you don't know what are you saying and here you want this possibility for free? (Santa Claus is coming to town). Rethink it making it in mind that for example some cards in MtG cost over 30$ (1 piece), 1 deck come with total price over 200$ (60 cards). Here you want over 200 cards (4 cards each type) for 200$?
You found wrong hobby mate TCG, CCG are expensive if wana be in top you need cash and not some but loads, here I hope to be decent level for free and top for some investment, will see if it works, because i refuse to pay as in MtG on-line same amount of $$$ for virtual cards as for real cards, time will show.

I don't agree at all with what you are saying...

Paying a lot for a TCG/CCG is diferent, because you get a phisical product (cards) of high quality, so yeah, they are not so cheap (of course the production costs are a lot lower then they sell it for... but thats with everything...), but in digital games you gain nothing... your cards can be changed in future patches, and if they decide to drop the game (not a succes) you lost everything, you will not even be able to play it with your friends anymore (this would be possible in a physical game).

So the prices HAVE to be very diferent... As far as I know, in MTG online you where actualy able to exchange your online cards for physical ones, so then yes, you can charge the same price for them as for physical cards because at any moment you can change. But in a game that is only online the prices should be a lot lower.

Take a look at Shadow Era, another great online tcg, there you can actualy buy 4 of every card for about 40 dolars... and you can already make very good decks with like only 10 dolars... because if this nearly all players have invested some money in the game, because you get a lot for your money. (I have spended money on it)...

Anyway, just think that the prices are wrong... and I fear that if they keep this prices they wil have like only 5-10% of the people that play actualy spending money on the game, and everyone that does not will not have real chances at the top and will get bored soon, and the game will die out.... (and yeah, i have seen this happen with a lot of online games that charges high prices...) It starts nice, some people invest, they become the top, the free players get borred of losing and start to stop playing, there are less and less new players so less money, the develpment team is reduced so less updates/new cards, the top get borred of no innovation and the game dies the slowly..

I really hope this does not happen with this game, so far I like it a lot, but I think they should invest more in the free to play model, making it real microtransactions would probably give more money then a few bigger transactions...

r3tsa
09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
r3tsa, you are more use to mmo's not TCG's that is why you see ubisoft move as downgrage but I see it as move forward on TCG's market. It's as simple as it is.

They after CBT could say all medals will be cash only.

It isn't, and you failed with your deduction i never disgraced myself with a mmo(rpg?)[i guess that's what you meant]). No idea why you it as i step forward, that not even TCG, just CCG when you must lose more money to get what you need, hell not even paying gives a guaranteed situation that you will at some point end up with 100 cards useless for you. As your reference to MtG, i don't get it, how can you compare physical card game to online CCG which one in definition should cheaper(the same goes for MtG:O, the game should just die for forcing player to but a right to use psychical card instead of letting them to choose for his own a buy cheaper only online card).

lukas721
09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Gloignar, some I agree some not, about card exchange in MtG on-line virtual-real I didn't knew.
Ubi must make some action and I see in future market or auction house coming but not so fast, because of market trends. First sell as much then make market to exchange cards and all are happy because ppl with cards playing free can make 1 good deck. Later make expansion to force ppl buy etc.
Fear is if they don't make market and let price on this level when expansion comes out, because now it wont be so big pay to win, but if they wont allow players to have new cards in other way than cash will be fail.

PS: "Take a look at Shadow Era" I intend to take a look, because never heard about this game before.

Mryth01
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Gloignar (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1327535-Gloignar), I approve of Your post 100%. I wanted to write almost the same thing.
From what I understand, 5-10% of people paying for free to play is actually pretty high, even Ubi said in some article about piracy that usually the in the free to play model on average 3% pays and uses microtransactions.

Lukas721, You should try Shadow Era, they do a good job with their prices.

As a person that spent way too much money in real TCG (Magic, YGO, **** those money sinkers), I really hope they do something about both time/gold ratio and price points for microtransactions.

Btw why are the 'levels' necessary? I dont see the point in any progression here, unless to slow down the time/gold ratio the more you play (more levels = more required xp).

MarcusVespacian
09-14-2012, 12:36 PM

You are missing out one big point here.
The difference in the MTG card game is those cards of the different editions are collector's items aswell and grow in worth over the years. can't say that for a digital online cards where the game prolly will be off from marktet again in few months.
faster if the prices stay that high cus most ppl aren't that ******ed to pay them i guess.

Barra_Cuda
09-14-2012, 01:38 PM
I think that making a decent deck should be within the realms of not paying anything and not take too much time (just so enough people play, and keep playing), then after that can maybe make an excellent deck after alot of play, or pay to speed that up.
One thing to think about is how much poeple would pay, I certainly will not want to pay huge amounts and certainly not more than a normal box game. Think of this, how many poeple would think to get a pretty good deck, hell its only 5-10 euros! I do that. and how many would say 40-50 euros? nah no thanks.

BoromiRofGeo
09-14-2012, 07:21 PM
i agree with o.p.
i loved the way and feel of closed beta, i could play and level up and win seals only based on my OWN skill.
sadly, this now became pay to win game, and it saddens me a lot.
i really hope they will rise the bar of tribute seals on lvl up......

tenimurau
09-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Also, btw, the prices are WAY to high.. I would have to pay I believe 40 dolars for those 32 backs (3000 seals), but I will never get 4 of every card in those 32 boosters, so I'm paying the price of a full game (like Might and Magic Heroes 6), but I will not have access to all the content (all the cards), I would probably have to invest around 200 dolars to have 4 of every card (specialy because there is no way to buy single cards)....I don't see how that is fair...

I am expert on card games, I have played tons of them online from mgt and yo3 to dozens of " free" card games out there and it all piles up to this : Money
So far I looked at the prices and thought this game was CHEAP, compared to most those games. Lets just say few hundrates aren't enough to even play decently without insane luck on them.

Also do keep in mind that you keep the cards for rest of the games duration which might be ten years or more, if you dive it down to lets say : spend 40 now nothing for next year it rolls down arround 3 bucks a month, way less than most mmos or even retail games. Besides Ubi's not freebie game company, they want their extra buck =)

I support the prices AS LONG AS they don't get out of the hand as the tend to in most games.

Gloignar
09-15-2012, 09:18 AM
I am expert on card games, I have played tons of them online from mgt and yo3 to dozens of " free" card games out there and it all piles up to this : Money
So far I looked at the prices and thought this game was CHEAP, compared to most those games. Lets just say few hundrates aren't enough to even play decently without insane luck on them.

Also do keep in mind that you keep the cards for rest of the games duration which might be ten years or more, if you dive it down to lets say : spend 40 now nothing for next year it rolls down arround 3 bucks a month, way less than most mmos or even retail games. Besides Ubi's not freebie game company, they want their extra buck =)

I support the prices AS LONG AS they don't get out of the hand as the tend to in most games.
Sad to hear that you just accept extreemly high prices like this as normal... it is because of people like you, that just accept high prices, that game companies still get away with extreemly high prices..

Yeah, indeed, if you pay the 40 dollars will have the cards for the next year.. but you still are FAR from having all the cards you need... specialy if you have a little of bad luck you might only get 1 or 2 rares that you actualy need... so you have to invest a lot more.

And now imagine that after 1 year they see that the game is not giving any money and they decide to stop working on it.. or worse, they actualy just turn the servers off... you will have lost the money, because you have NOTHING..

Now in other games, that you buy, like Might and Magic Heroes, even if UBI stops working on it, you still got your game and you can play it, you get all the options in the game, and for the same price...

Here you might with 40 dolars MAYBE be able to build one very good deck, but what if you want to try the other factions? There goes another 40/80 dollars... on normal games with the initial price you got everything..

If you think this is cheap, take a look at Shadow Era.. there for around 40 dollars you can buy 4 of every card in the game, they also have a ingame merchant where you can sell and buy cards of choice to make it easier to get the right cards for your deck, I have NEVER see anyone in my more then 1 year active on that game complaining about the prices, here people already complained in the first days of open beta... and everyone that plays SE normaly spends some money on the game, because there, with max 10 dolars you can build a good deck, with 20 dollars you can build like 5/6 very good decks.. and with 40, every possible deck...

Anyway, I really hope UBI takes a look at the prices, because as they are right now I would never spend money, because I would just not feel I'm getting any real value out of it.. And I believe I'm not the only one..

But tenimurau if you are rich and don't mind spending a lot of money, that's fine but don't act as if this are good prices..... because there are people like me that have rent to pay, bills to pay, study to pay for... so yeah, for me 40 dolars is a lot..

MD78
09-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Here you might with 40 dolars MAYBE be able to build one very good deck, but what if you want to try the other factions? There goes another 40/80 dollars... on normal games with the initial price you got everything..

That's the point! Development isn't complexer than in other games and for online upkeep and maintenance there're much cheaper paying methodes, as a lot of browser games proof (even though there are also a lot of bad examples).

sacranin
09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Shame on you ubi. Go find some idiots who will pay for this incomplete junk.

Noetherian
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
It seems to me that the prices are reasonable. Playing the campaign was enough to buy some booster packs and since many players have relatively common decks, I can win some random duels for more gold even with a cheap deck. Yes, I understand that I won't have a tournament-viable deck for a long time if I don't spend money, but that's okay. I can have some fun with the game and if I enjoy it, I will spend money on it.

The issue is that the developers need to make money some how to continue to support the game (add more cards, etc). If most people play for free, and the people who do pay only pay a 20-40 euros, then the game will fail. In order to support a business model where many people enjoy the game for free, the developers need to have some way to extract a lot of money from people who are willing to pay. I think the current model is reasonable ... there may be better business models possible, but making a complete set of cards inexpensive will not be successful for the company.

Oh, and I've played Shadow Era. Yes, their prices are cheaper, but the game is (in my opinion) much less fun to play. Sometimes you get what you pay for.