PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot (Movie)

Laphin
09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
While "The Patriot" was a great movie to watch (even though depictions weren't accurate at all in American Depiction, it was cool to watch Gibson fight with a tomahawk at some points.

Do you guys know any other good Revolutionary War movie depictions that were fun to watch?

Escappa
09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Not really a revolution-movie, but I really think that ''the last of the mohicans'' is a VERY good movie, and reminds about both ''the patriot'' and AC3.

Locopells
09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Have a read:

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/american-war-independence-three-films

The trouble with The Patriot, I always felt, is that, unlike Braveheart (which is telling a legend, albeit one based on real people), it is claiming to be realistic. You gotta wonder what Mel Gibson had against us at the time...

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Have a read:

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/american-war-independence-three-films

The trouble with The Patriot, I always felt, is that, unlike Braveheart (which is telling a legend, albeit one based on real people), it is claiming to be realistic. You gotta wonder what Mel Gibson had against us at the time...

To be honest though, aside from that one evil ***** that killed Heath Ledger's character, they didn't show the British as sadistic monsters. I seem to remember that a number of Captain Evil *****'s soldiers were vocally opposed to his brutal methods. You gotta figure though, in any war movie made by the victors of the war in question, they're going to be biased. It's got nothing to do with American anti-British sentiment.

rileypoole1234
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
To be honest though, aside from that one evil ***** that killed Heath Ledger's character, they didn't show the British as sadistic monsters. I seem to remember that a number of Captain Evil *****'s soldiers were vocally opposed to his brutal methods. You gotta figure though, in any war movie made by the victors of the war in question, they're going to be biased. It's got nothing to do with American anti-British sentiment.

I don't thing it's biased I think it's just incredibly unrealistic.

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't thing it's biased I think it's just incredibly unrealistic.

It is. And, well, so is Assassin's Creed :p

projectpat06
09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
True the movie may not have been as realistic as it should have been but every movie needs a good villian. Gibson's character was against the war at first and it was ultimately the british antagonist's (based off of Sir Tarleton's reputation from the patriot side) cruelty that drove him to fight for the Patriots. The movie does a great job depicting the British soldiers as gentleman serving their country and doing their duty. It shows the flaws of men on both sides. Hollywood does the same bias depiction of the South in Civil war media so to my fellow Brits I wouldn't take too much offense to it. It would be cool to see a movie from a british soldier's POV for a change. Get Guy Richie to direct it. All his movies are mint.

As for last of the Mohicans, it's a little dated but still a great movie to get you pumped for this game. Takes place during the French and Indian War. Good soundtrack too.

Laphin
09-14-2012, 01:59 AM

Well, Mel Gibson wouldn't have had anything against anyone at the time because he didn't write, direct, or make the film.. he was only an actor. Being a performer myself, when you're an actor, you don't have any say on how you perform in a movie, you just do what the director says, and that's how it works. He acted out his character as he was told to do, and that's about it.

Locopells
09-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Kidding mate, I've no idea how much, little or otherwise, he had to do with production.

NOLA_Assassin
09-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Funnily enough, I never heard of the Patriot until people started claiming AC 3 was going to be like that. lol

The John Adams tv show is very well done, it doesn't focus on all aspects of the Revolution but it's still a very good insight into of the founders.

Blind2Society
09-14-2012, 07:51 AM
The John Adams tv show is very well done, it doesn't focus on all aspects of the Revolution but it's still a very good insight into of the founders.

It focuses on the politics, which is a side most people don't hear about. It was a great show none the less.