PDA

View Full Version : Is Rockband officially dead?

mbarsott
09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I asked a friend that went to the US to buy me a midi adpater for RB, so I could learn RB songs. Apparently every store he asked said the game and all accessories had been discontinued and nobody plays it anymore.

rchiav
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't think you're going to see a lot of new, in store sales for Rockband. There are still a lot of people who play it though.

The MIDI adapters are less than $20 on Amazon. Not sure much you'd get killed for shipping though

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-Midi-PRO-Adapter/dp/B00409SOD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347309877&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+band+midi+adapter

SeattleSauve
09-10-2012, 11:57 PM
As long as they are releasing DLC it remains alive for me :) But yeah, Amazon is still stocking the Midi adapters, and you can always get the game on xbox live (and I assume on the equivalent PS3 service).

mbarsott
09-11-2012, 01:17 AM
I don't think you're going to see a lot of new, in store sales for Rockband. There are still a lot of people who play it though.

The MIDI adapters are less than $20 on Amazon. Not sure much you'd get killed for shipping though

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-Midi-PRO-Adapter/dp/B00409SOD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347309877&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+band+midi+adapter

Thanks for the hint... I just checked it and Amazon won't ship electronics to Brazil. I have the game already. I may have it sent to a friend and then have him send it to me.

Braintrust18
09-11-2012, 04:17 AM
I asked a friend that went to the US to buy me a midi adpater for RB, so I could learn RB songs. Apparently every store he asked said the game and all accessories had been discontinued and nobody plays it anymore.
Yeah that stuff was hard to come by 1 to 2 years ago. They released a new game called Rockband Blitz that doesn't use instruments. So it isn't dead dead. I think they are waiting till the new consoles come out. The recession has lengthened the shelf life of the current generation of consoles. So the wait is longer than normal.

GleepEyebiter
09-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Hard to call it dead when they're still releasing at least three DLC tracks every single week, and the RBN folks are releasing half a dozen more tracks each week (for Xbox that is, less on other platforms). They have a base of almost four thousand songs now I think. The hardware was always the weak point in the RB3 cycle, since Harmonix didn't produce any of it themselves and had to depend on other companies doing it for them. The MIDI Pro Controllers were ridiculously scarce for awhile there.

At any rate, I'm still happily playing my e-drum kit for hours on end with RB3 pro drums. I've got about 1600 songs to choose from there, versus the vastly smaller library currently available for Rocksmith.

SeattleSauve
09-13-2012, 06:09 AM
At any rate, I'm still happily playing my e-drum kit for hours on end with RB3 pro drums. I've got about 1600 songs to choose from there, versus the vastly smaller library currently available for Rocksmith.

Yeah, I think anyone who has an e-drum kit should get Rock Band 3 (only $20 on xbox live, and the midi adapter is just over $20 on Amazon). It's amazingly fun to play that game on a real kit. With the cymbals charted, it's just fun as heck - insane amount of songs too.

I get people hating on the plastic guitars, but plugging in a midi drum kit to the game (or even a midi keyboard for their keys charts) is truly another story altogether.

JPS2K5
09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
It's dead to me.... Selling my TD-12 kit and will go full guitar/bass :p

SFenton
09-13-2012, 02:51 PM
It's dead to me.... Selling my TD-12 kit and will go full guitar/bass :p

Mother of God that's a nice kit.

Brick235
09-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I've recently been looking into this. I have a Yamaha DTXtreme kit I got a while back and only recently found out you could use some with RB3. Still trying to find out if it will work with this kit for sure. Anyone know?

SFenton
09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Does it have MIDI OUT?
If yes:
Yes.
If no:
Probably not without extensive workaround.

Brick235
09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes, it has MIDI out. Sweet, I guess I'll invest a little into this. Now I have to figure out how to position my kit so it's facing the TV. I really need a bigger place.

GleepEyebiter
09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
This is what I'm using for RB3 drum playing. I started out with a low end e-kit, and over time I wound up replacing/upgrading every bit of it. Gibraltar rack, Pintech triggers, and Alesis DM10 brain. Lots of fun for the dead game. ;)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/460176_190749737703466_602660058_o.jpg

Brick235
09-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Wow, that is impressive. Well, I just ordered the game and adapter so we'll see what happens. Where do you move all that stuff when you wanna watch TV? Lol.

JPS2K5
09-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Wow, that is impressive. Well, I just ordered the game and adapter so we'll see what happens. Where do you move all that stuff when you wanna watch TV? Lol.

That's one of the reasons I'm selling..... I guess it's time to make the living room look like a linving room again :rolleyes:

SeattleSauve
09-14-2012, 06:53 AM
I have a TD9-kx2 kit in my media room, it's just in the corner of the room, so doesn't get in the way. I might send out a pic, doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles as that TD12 kit though.

Brick235
09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Just looked at some vids for pro drums and the track list. I have to say, I'm getting excited to try this out. They have so many songs, it's ridiculous. I don't see why drums couldn't be the next step for rocksmith. Seems like a logical progression. Has anyone used a midi guitar with RB3? Is it lame? Seems like a shame to only play along with drums to this, but I'm not going back to plastic guitar.

JPS2K5
09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I have the 'real' Squier for RB. Never really got into playing more than easy mode though... It's already my 2nd one actually, first I imported and sold within 3 weeks, because I was playing drums for 4-5 hours a day, and didn't get around to it. Bought another one 6-7 weeks ago when RS came into my sights, just to warm up a bit I guess.

It's not really lame, I guess I just heard the music too many times while playing drums.... RS will be my premium choise, already bought a Fender and bass I will buy shortly.

GleepEyebiter
09-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I can't say that I mind "only" playing RB3 with pro drums, considering that I tend to do that for 2-4 hours each sitting. That's nice also because my girlfriend can play along with me on plastic guitar, whereas she probably won't be playing along in Rocksmith anytime soon. Regarding where I put the drum kit when not playing, I actually drag the whole rack over to the side of the room where it sits by a window. And now of course I have a bass guitar and amp sitting on the other side of the room, when not playing Rocksmith. LOL.

I did briefly try the Fender Squier MIDI guitar. It works pretty well, but I abandoned it because I really wanted to play bass and simulating bass by ignoring the bottom two strings wasn't very satisfying.

allstarsniper
09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
When I can get the cash I would love the have a good electronic drum kit to play RB3 with. It would definitely get me to buy more of the DLC songs I think right now I might have just over 200 songs. I would like to get more though, of course.

Brick235
09-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Good advice from everyone who responded. Think I will skip the MIDI guitar and save the cash.

SFenton
09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Rocksmith is way better for real guitar play. I've nothing against the Mustang/Squier- I bought a Mustang for full price upon launch and still use it occasionally- but Rocksmith is where the true fun lies.

Brick235
09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Just got RB3 and midi adapter last night. Haven't had a chance to play the game but I hooked it up to my drums and it works, so I'm psyched. Trying to play along with an ipod is ok but it gets a little old pretty fast.

SeattleSauve
09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, here's my drum setup for RB3...

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii596/SeattleSauve/Rocksmith Weekly/IMG_5876.jpg

Brick235
09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Nice set up, Seattle. Still haven't gotten around to repositioning my set so I can see the TV. Hoping to get around to it this weekend. Any tips on using that adapter or is it pretty straight forward? I see you can reassign some of the pads. My set up is identical to yours. Yamaha DTXpress IV. Same number of pads.

HadOne2Many
09-20-2012, 03:08 PM
You guys have some nice stuff! Are those drum kits quiet? If one of my boys decides to be adrummer I'd rather get them something they can play with headphones instead of a full blown drum set.

This is what I have:
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/guitar-hero-world-tour-drum-kit-picture.jpg

I haven't even touched it in at least 2 years though. I do still play Rock Band pretty often though. I have one of the Wooden Strat replicas with the 5 buttons, a Mustand and a keyboard with midi that I use. Depending on how much I've drank and who I'm playing with I switch between those.

I can say though that if I have one of those awesome drum kits I'd have to build a platform up on some casters to roll it around, my wife would never let me leave it in the middle of the room.

cws78
09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I would love to get one of the pro drum kits to play RB3 on I have almost 800 songs and I still pick one up for the pro guitar every now and then.

Brick235
09-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Some e-kits have rubber pads which are basically silent, while the better kits have more realistic drum heads for better feel. If you want peace and quiet, go with the rubber set up.

GleepEyebiter
09-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I still have a Guitar Hero World Tour drum set around here somewhere. That's what I started out with, and being annoyed by its limitations was what prompted me to eventually get an e-drum kit. I upgraded from the GHWT set to an OSP DD-502 MKII kit, and then gradually upgraded everything until there was nothing left from that kit. I broke a lot of e-cymbals along the way before finally settling on Pintech Visulites, which are basically unbreakable (though I did just need to replace the trigger on my ride cymbal after a year or so of use).

Regarding acoustic noise, it depends. Mylar heads are fairly loud. Mesh heads are basically silent. Rubber cymbals are pretty quiet. The Pintech Visulite cymbals, which are formed from acrylic, make a fair amount of noise.

Any tips on using that adapter or is it pretty straight forward? I see you can reassign some of the pads..
You should be able to assign MIDI notes for each trigger individually, so you can have it received in Rock Band as whatever you like. I wound up wanting crash cymbals on both the left and right sides of the kit for instance, and I have different sounds assigned to them but they use the same MIDI note so Rock Band receives them identically.

JTCoop
09-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Are those drum kits quiet? If one of my boys decides to be adrummer I'd rather get them something they can play with headphones instead of a full blown drum set. . . . I can say though that if I have one of those awesome drum kits I'd have to build a platform up on some casters to roll it around, my wife would never let me leave it in the middle of the room.

Yes, with rubber trigger pads, e-kits are tolerably quiet. You will hear the tap-tap-tapping of sticks on the pads, but that's nothing - unless you live in an apartment, in which case you'd want to have a nice, thick rug to absorb the vibrations. They travel through the rack and if you're playing on a bare wood floor the reverberations generated below can be quite noticeable. At any rate, I wish I had one of these when I was a kid. I always had to quit playing around 9:00PM when my dad went to bed. (I'm not complaining - he was a saint putting up with me playing a live kit 2 hours or more every night!) I highly recommend them. Plus, you can get some pretty useful learning tools built-in, to include metronomes and record functions, and it's very handy to be able to change the entire sound of your kit with the push of a single button. The money you'd save on latin percussion instruments alone would more than pay for an e-kit!

E-kits are very easy to move. Unless you got an exceptonally large one, most are easily picked up with one hand and carried. (You may need to disconnect the pedals and carry them separately, but that's no big deal.) Unlikely you'd need (or want) a rolling platform.

SeattleSauve
09-21-2012, 04:14 AM
The mesh heads I have on my kit are really quiet. Quieter than the stock RB kit by far.

My room is in the basement, so I can whail on these in the middle of the night without waking anyone up. Good times :)

armoury_R1
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM
My first rhythm game was GH3, so when GH:WT (GH4) came out, I was utterly intrigued by the thought of playing drums. Still have the drum kit, and it occasionally comes out when gaming with friends, in of all places the office conference room... (after hours, of course). But after a good go on a drum career in GHWT, I found that at the end of the day, I really just wanted to be a guitarist, even if at that time it was on 5-button. So personally I've hardly played drums since.

Then Rocksmith came along... (and, to be fair, RB Pro Guitar)

Brick235
09-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Finally got a chance to try out some songs with my e-kit. It's fun, but what a learning curve. Not used to the different colors, symbols and layout. Gonna take a lot of practice. Had to turn all my 2 zone pads around so things would register. Still trying to figure out which cymbals to use since I have 4 including the hi hat. What a song catalog, though! I'm wishing RS had at least 30 songs that RB3 has.

Brick235
09-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Nice set up Seattle. Figured I'd post a pic of mine. Got some tweaking to do. Doesn't feel quite right yet.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/bretb310/ekit_zps4643c30b.jpg

SeattleSauve
09-22-2012, 03:33 AM
What a song catalog, though! I'm wishing RS had at least 30 songs that RB3 has.

These things put together are also pretty cool:
- There are almost 4000 songs available
- Most of these (pretty much all formal DLC) have pro drum support
- Exports for Lego, Green Day, RB1, RB2, AC/DC are all really cheap and have Pro Drums
- Just this week they announced a massive sale where 1,100 of their legacy DLC is on sale for $1 per track... (see here (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231797)for more info)

-

Brick235
09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
These things put together are also pretty cool:
- There are almost 4000 songs available
- Most of these (pretty much all formal DLC) have pro drum support
- Exports for Lego, Green Day, RB1, RB2, AC/DC are all really cheap and have Pro Drums
- Just this week they announced a massive sale where 1,100 of their legacy DLC is on sale for $1 per track... (see here (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231797)for more info)

-

Thanks for the info Seattle. Never had RB2 and didn't play RB1 that much so I have a lot of songs to buy. I'll def take advantage of this sale. There goes my milk money for the week. :D