PDA

View Full Version : AC3 & Batman combat similar?

InfamousQ1987
09-01-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/17/assassins-creed-iii-combat-inspired-by-batman-arkham-asylum/

What are your thoughts on this? I always thought batman haf great combat. Simple, but really fun when you learn everything. Anyways what do you guys think...good decision or bad?

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 02:53 PM
MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE !!!

Best decision they ever took. Did you play Sleeping dogs ? The combat there is also inspired by Batman and its fantastic, probably addictive too. What makes Batman so catchy is its Attentiveness, different colors mean different reactions, different buttons.

The downfall of AC`s original formula in hand-to-hand combat was that it used the same formula as armed combat and that didn't really work..

So yes, definitely great news..Nice find;)

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Best decision they ever took. Did you play Sleeping dogs ? The combat there is also inspired by Batman and its fantastic, probably addictive too. What makes Batman so catchy is its Attentiveness, different colors mean different reactions, different buttons.

The downfall of AC`s original formula in hand-to-hand combat was that it used the same formula as armed combat and that didn't really work..

I just finished the sleeping dogs demo on ps3 ,,, Great combat !
And wonderful news and from the dev diary episode 2, the combat looks great ! .

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I just finished the sleeping dogs demo on ps3 ,,, Great combat !
And wonderful news and from the dev diary episode 2, the combat looks great ! .
msh kda ?:p

I suspected it from the short shots of Hand-to-hand Combat, definitely looked like Batman, but I just couldn't get myself to believe it xD

BBALive
09-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Yes, it's definitely inspired by Arkham City combat, though it still seems to be different enough to avoid being called a clone.

kudos17
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, it's definitely inspired by Arkham City combat, though it still seems to be different enough to avoid being called a clone.

I don't see the similarities, honestly. Arkham Asylum and Sleeping Dogs are all about countering, combos, and fluidity.

AC3 seems to be about jamming X or Square haphazardly until you kill something, countering once in a while, then going on a killing spree akin to Brotherhood and Revelations. Oh, and maybe breaking a defense here or there.

I hope I'm wrong, but... let's just say I've played Sleeping Dogs recently, and boy, THAT is fun melee combat. AC3 looks fun too, but seems to require much less skill. You should not kill everything in one hit. You should be quick and effective, but insta-killing everything is so... ridiculous. In Sleeping Dogs, a well-skilled player could down an enemy very quickly, but it took a few well-placed punches. In AC3, all you have to do is kill someone, than just keep pressing the attack button to insta-gib everyone else.

Like, look at the same combat trailer. The moment where Connor slices at a soldier with his tomohawk than quickly finishes him off buy pulling him down by the neck is awesome. Or when he beats someone down (punch right, then hit, to the kneck, to the groin... etc etc) looks fantastic. And it's quick, like you'd expect of an assassin. But stabbing one guy, rolling around and stabbing the next, jumping and stabbing the next... that does not look as cool, IMO.

rileypoole1234
09-01-2012, 04:54 PM

This! This indeed!

HisSpiritLives
09-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't see the similarities, honestly. Arkham Asylum and Sleeping Dogs are all about countering, combos, and fluidity.

AC3 seems to be about jamming X or Square haphazardly until you kill something, countering once in a while, then going on a killing spree akin to Brotherhood and Revelations. Oh, and maybe breaking a defense here or there.

I hope I'm wrong, but... let's just say I've played Sleeping Dogs recently, and boy, THAT is fun melee combat. AC3 looks fun too, but seems to require much less skill. You should not kill everything in one hit. You should be quick and effective, but insta-killing everything is so... ridiculous. In Sleeping Dogs, a well-skilled player could down an enemy very quickly, but it took a few well-placed punches. In AC3, all you have to do is kill someone, than just keep pressing the attack button to insta-gib everyone else.

Like, look at the same combat trailer. The moment where Connor slices at a soldier with his tomohawk than quickly finishes him off buy pulling him down by the neck is awesome. Or when he beats someone down (punch right, then hit, to the kneck, to the groin... etc etc) looks fantastic. And it's quick, like you'd expect of an assassin. But stabbing one guy, rolling around and stabbing the next, jumping and stabbing the next... that does not look as cool, IMO.

Tottaly disagree with you, combat in AC3 looks like soo much fun.And yes in batman and sleeping dogs combat is interesting and fluid but you dont need much skill for it either

kudos17
09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Tottaly disagree with you, combat in AC3 looks like soo much fun.And yes in batman and sleeping dogs combat is interesting and fluid but you dont need much skill for it either

I'd say you need more skill for it. You need to know what attacks work, what don't. In terms of Sleeping Dogs, you need to know which combo breaks the defense of a certain enemy-archetype, when it's better to counter or attack, proper positioning for environmental finishers. For Arkham Asylum, it's basically flowing around right to time your attacks so that you pretty much hit everyone without being hit.

In AC, it's really simple. Hit attack button until you kill something, then move around and instantly kill everything else. Maybe, MAYBE, you have to break a defense of a heavy or something once in a while. And grab a meatshield here or there. But otherwise, that's really it.

I'm not saying it isn't fun. I had plenty of fun in Brotherhood and Revelations with the combat. But the lack of complexity in the combat makes it LESS fun for me than AA or SD.

HisSpiritLives
09-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I'd say you need more skill for it. You need to know what attacks work, what don't. In terms of Sleeping Dogs, you need to know which combo breaks the defense of a certain enemy-archetype, when it's better to counter or attack, proper positioning for environmental finishers. For Arkham Asylum, it's basically flowing around right to time your attacks so that you pretty much hit everyone without being hit.

In AC, it's really simple. Hit attack button until you kill something, then move around and instantly kill everything else. Maybe, MAYBE, you have to break a defense of a heavy or something once in a while. And grab a meatshield here or there. But otherwise, that's really it.

I'm not saying it isn't fun. I had plenty of fun in Brotherhood and Revelations with the combat. But the lack of complexity in the combat makes it LESS fun for me than AA or SD.

Trust me ,combat is wayyy more interesting in AC3 than pervious titles.

dewgel
09-01-2012, 09:43 PM

There was also no punishment for sitting there with R1 held and bashing square (counter) constantly. In Arkham, if you just button bash your combo won't go up. You've got to time it.

You'll still mow through the enemies in Arkham by button bashing, but it feels more rewarding and you start doing fancier moves the higher your combo.

MangoCookies
09-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Yayy, I love the Arkham combat in Batman!! Simple, yet so entertaining!! One of the many reasons why Arkham Asylum and City made it to be GOTY.

BBALive
09-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Sleeping Dogs and Batman takes no skill either. It just takes longer due to the lack of instant-kills, which doesn't mean it takes more skill. Your description of AC3's combat can also be used to describe the combat in Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs (mash the attack button while countering once in a while), yet we both know there's more to it than that.

AC3 has combos, just like Arkham City
AC3 lets you use tools at any time, just like the gadgets in Arkham City
AC3 has counters (yes, I know, AC has always had counters), just like Arkham City.

I don't know if it's possible to deny the fact that they're going down the AA/AC route.

Seems to me that you're just complaining about kill-streaks, which is a legitimate complaint.

HisSpiritLives
09-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Sleeping Dogs and Batman takes no skill either. It just takes longer due to the lack of instant-kills, which doesn't mean it takes more skill. Your description of AC3's combat can also be used to describe the combat in Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs (mash the attack button while countering once in a while), yet we both know there's more to it than that.

AC3 has counters (yes, I know, AC has always had counters), just like Arkham City.

I don't know if it's possible to deny the fact that they're going down the AA/AC route.

Seems to me that you're just complaining about kill-streaks, which is a legitimate complaint.

That is what i was talking about.

kudos17
09-01-2012, 11:50 PM

But it's different. The Arkham series is faster. Batman is flipping all over the place, countering and attacking, all the while evening the odds with a gadget or two. It's not easy to keep a high chain going on like in AC. Enemies attack quickly, together, and from behind. Positioning is also important.

In Sleeping Dogs, you need to chain heavy and light attacks, as well as various grapples, to effectively kill enemies. Not to mention the environmental take-downs.

Mashing the attack button will let you win in both those games, but there's more to it than that if you wanna be good.

There isn't more to it in AC3, from what I've seen. No heavy attacks, the "grapples" are contextual, the gadgets are few - throwables and a rope dart don't really mix up the battle too much, IMO. The fluidity in battle of AC3 comes mostly from jumping from one opponent to the next - but instantly killing them, removing the sense of satisfaction, IMO. It's not the fact that you can press solely the attack button and win that annoys me - it's the fact that that's usually the best course of action.

I never denied they were trying to have an Arkham Asylum influence, I'm just claiming that they're doing it poorly. To be honest, I don't really know what they could do to bump it up a notch. Removing killstreaks would be a strong start. Making Connor more agile in combat, instead of shuffling around targets, would be the next step. And making enemies attack quicker would make for better flow - instead of just killing everything, you'd have to dodge and counter a few times as well (which, judging by the Boston demo, isn't the case. Thankfully, the Frontier demo looked better, so we'll see).

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
But it's different. The Arkham series is faster. Batman is flipping all over the place, countering and attacking, all the while evening the odds with a gadget or two. It's not easy to keep a high chain going on like in AC. Enemies attack quickly, together, and from behind. Positioning is also important.

In Sleeping Dogs, you need to chain heavy and light attacks, as well as various grapples, to effectively kill enemies. Not to mention the environmental take-downs.

Mashing the attack button will let you win in both those games, but there's more to it than that if you wanna be good.

There isn't more to it in AC3, from what I've seen. No heavy attacks, the "grapples" are contextual, the gadgets are few - throwables and a rope dart don't really mix up the battle too much, IMO. The fluidity in battle of AC3 comes mostly from jumping from one opponent to the next - but instantly killing them, removing the sense of satisfaction, IMO. It's not the fact that you can press solely the attack button and win that annoys me - it's the fact that that's usually the best course of action.

I never denied they were trying to have an Arkham Asylum influence, I'm just claiming that they're doing it poorly. To be honest, I don't really know what they could do to bump it up a notch. Removing killstreaks would be a strong start. Making Connor more agile in combat, instead of shuffling around targets, would be the next step. And making enemies attack quicker would make for better flow - instead of just killing everything, you'd have to dodge and counter a few times as well (which, judging by the Boston demo, isn't the case. Thankfully, the Frontier demo looked better, so we'll see).
Sorry, but you have a very poor Analysis..

Sleeping Dogs DEFINITELY Uses the Batman formula, if you don't see that, then there is clearly something wrong with you, or maybe you were playing something else, and I believe in AC, they were referring to the Hand-to-hand Combat..Because Obviously what we`v seen from armed Combat has nothing to do with Batman..

kudos17
09-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Sorry, but you have a very poor Analysis..

Sleeping Dogs DEFINITELY Uses the Batman formula, if you don't see that, then there is clearly something wrong with you, or maybe you were playing something else, and I believe in AC, they were referring to the Hand-to-hand Combat..Because Obviously what we`v seen from armed Combat has nothing to do with Batman..

I never said Sleeping Dogs didn't use the Batman formula. It is very obviously influenced by Batman at its core, but it adds other things like environmental take-downs and various grappling moves. Also, heavy and light-attack combos, which I don't think the Arkham games have.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:25 AM
I never said Sleeping Dogs didn't use the Batman formula. It is very obviously influenced by Batman at its core, but it adds other things like environmental take-downs and various grappling moves. Also, heavy and light-attack combos, which I don't think the Arkham games have.
Your posts always used the word "Different" and did not refer to either formula or general system, so I assumed you meant entire system..

kudos17
09-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Your posts always used the word "Different" and did not refer to either formula or general system, so I assumed you meant entire system..

I meant that Sleeping Dogs and Arkham Asylum both share similarities with AC3's combat, but they're different in that they complicate the formula in their own ways. AC3, on the other hand, seems to keep things blandly simple.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I meant that Sleeping Dogs and Arkham Asylum both share similarities with AC3's combat, but they're different in that they complicate the formula in their own ways. AC3, on the other hand, seems to keep things blandly simple.
The ARMED combat seems to be that way..

We dont know about the Hand-to-hand yet..

kudos17
09-02-2012, 02:58 AM
The ARMED combat seems to be that way..

We dont know about the Hand-to-hand yet..

Well, yeah, but I don't think it's going to be much different. The unarmed combat certainly looks cool, and since I don't think you can get killstreaks with it, it might actually turn out to be a bit more interesting.

However, since AC has never been totally about unarmed combat, I assume it won't have the "oomph" to it that other games have. The animations are certainly much cooler looking than Ezio/Altair's, though, as seen in the combat video.

HisSpiritLives
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I never had problem with AC combat , and i dont think that Batman has such cool movment and fluidity like Connor,or maybe i love AC games too much :D

pacmanate
09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
If you are saying AC3's is, so was AC:B. AC:B was more free flowing than AC:R's as well and AC:B also involved better transitions between killing people.

De Filosoof
09-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I never had problem with AC combat , and i dont think that Batman has such cool movment and fluidity like Connor,or maybe i love AC games too much :D

Same here bro :).

hoganshero
09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
i like batman combat but it is way to simple for AC series i mean all you did was spam attack then direct batman from enemy to enemy. i just dont want it to be a copy from batman it took no skill to work.

HisSpiritLives
09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
i like batman combat but it is way to simple for AC series i mean all you did was spam attack then direct batman from enemy to enemy. i just dont want it to be a copy from batman it took no skill to work.

Yes,i wouldnt like it to be copy from batman,they just said that AC3 combat is inspired by combat from batman AA .

kudos17
09-02-2012, 06:02 PM

This is the argument I personally don't understand here. You don't want AC to be simple, but what do you do in AC:B and AC:R? You kill someone, than spam attack to direct Ezio from enemy to enemy. The only difference there is, in the Batman games you have to be fluid and maneuverable to keep your hit chain up and defeat enemies. In AC, you just kill everything instantly.

The combat system doesn't have to be truly complex to be challenging. It just has to give the illusion of depth. At it's base, the Batman games' combat is very simple. But all the different combos and gadgets give interesting ways to adapt. AC is simple, but it also appears simple. I hope the fluidity and new animations of AC3 hides that, but there's only so much you can do.

HisSpiritLives
09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
This is the argument I personally don't understand here. You don't want AC to be simple, but what do you do in AC:B and AC:R? You kill someone, than spam attack to direct Ezio from enemy to enemy. The only difference there is, in the Batman games you have to be fluid and maneuverable to keep your hit chain up and defeat enemies. In AC, you just kill everything instantly.

The combat system doesn't have to be truly complex to be challenging. It just has to give the illusion of depth. At it's base, the Batman games' combat is very simple. But all the different combos and gadgets give interesting ways to adapt. AC is simple, but it also appears simple. I hope the fluidity and new animations of AC3 hides that, but there's only so much you can do.

,,AC is simple,but it also appears simple,,??Not really getting your point here

kudos17
09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
,,AC is simple,but it also appears simple,,??Not really getting your point here

There's no hidden depth. You see an assassin shuffling around killing everything effortlessly on screen, but even when you pick up the controller, that's all there is to it. You just press the attack button, then kill everything else.

In Batman or Sleeping Dogs, you could see this guy jumping around hitting and countering and it all seems so fluid and easy - but it's actually more complex. In Batman, you primarily attack and counter, but how and when, and even where, is important. Sleeping Dogs requires you to use the environment and different combos to take your enemies down the fastest way possible. If done right, it looks simple, but if you don't have the hang of it, it's harder than it looks.

The devs have said that "you cut through the enemies like butter" in AC3. The skill comes from "transitioning from enemy to enemy without stopping". That's all well and good - but there's no skill involved in that when killstreaks are on the table. You press X in a certain direction, and boom, you've killed something.

AssassinGame1
09-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Ubisoft is jealous over rocksteady, (the makers of Arkham Asylum). I have to admit, I have Arkham Asylum and the game has EPIC combat!

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Ubisoft is jealous over rocksteady, (the makers of Arkham Asylum). I have to admit, I have Arkham Asylum and the game has EPIC combat!
Jealous ? xD

You funny guy..

InfamousQ1987
09-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I was assuming the article was referring to hand to hand combat. I think AC needed a better fist fighting system, and Batman combat system is a great inspiration. (Square Enix) Sleeping dogs did a great job at thier version of (RockSteady) Batman combat system. Ubisoft will have their own version of a great combat system.

I wouldn't say it's jealousy... Thats a bit of a reach. If that was the case, then I guess the same goes for Square Enix Sleeping Dogs... More so for Sleeping Dogs. At least in AC3 it's an option to not kill random guards just doing their job ;p

Splatterhausen
09-12-2012, 12:44 AM
I was wondering if the counter-attacking system is going to be changed to be more like Batman Arkham Asylum/City. Were if you are in the middle of attacking someone/ in the middle of a chain instant kill thing, you can instantly counter attack a person that is about to attack you.
Im aware of digging, and i dont know if it applies on this, but i really need this answered sincerely without hate.

Ork3n
09-12-2012, 01:26 AM

Batman combat is more interactive then Ac combat. With that said, both games for me are ridiculous easy (maybe because i'm used to play in very hard settings in other games) and yet, Batman was much funnier to combat at. Inside the assassin's creed series, Ac1 had the most entretaining combat imo.

It would be nice if the chain-kill are not chain-kill but combos like in Batman AA and AC and The Amazing Spiderman. I mean, 2 to kill normal soldiers and about 5 hits for the stronger ones but keep the combat fluid even if you don't one-hit kill someone. In AcB and AcR i found it ridiculous that you couldn't attack spearman and brutus with combos as you used to do in Ac2... it somehow kill'd the entretainment of the combat.

Azurefeatherfly
09-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Controls(360/PS3 peripherals)

Y or Triangle is so far only responsible for using tools.

X or Square is responsible for attacking. "Combos" and different "moves" have been mentioned.

A or X is responsible for Break Defence and Human Shield. Since this button is the jump command, kicking and dodging may be other functions.

B or Circle is so far only responsible for Counter. Due to the fact that you tackle using this button, Grab may be another function.

Note: Gametrailer journalist had apparently recorded the button mapping from the demo in February and they were Tool, Attack, Kick, and Grab. This however may have changed during the last 7 months.

Enemies:

So far there are a total of 10 possible enemy archetypes based on their uniform.

Regular Redcoats (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-glmpFKGoapw/UFVg4d3ks_I/AAAAAAAAAJY/VaMuj60smz8/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h40m18s185.jpg), they appear to be the weakest guards so far.

Redcoats with Backpacks (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ee3Baa2WcxY/UFVg4kMjtBI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/Pjb81HR82eQ/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h00m33s66.jpg), three hits from these guys reduced Connor to half health in one of the Wii U demo thus making them a little tougher than the ones above.

Axe-Wielding Scotsmen (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kcojdth-P2E/UFVg4x4vU2I/AAAAAAAAAJs/to5EbI24gBQ/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h20m14s113.jpg), obviously the Brute equivalent of AC3, hopefully their attack speed is kicked up a notch.

Snitch, a very versatile guard archetype that is always wearing blue wielding four different weapons. Musket (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MNjs8t_0rSY/UFVg4RCeKlI/AAAAAAAAAJU/K-h3q5xIvzI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h59m07s210.jpg), Hammer/Hatchet (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yfeMoVVzN1Q/UFVg4Tj6mUI/AAAAAAAAAKM/dqHZyGxMMLw/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h59m39s23.jpg), Sword (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yvZ2NczjkD8/UFVg4fhog4I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/Yx41zlp0pws/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h37m11s47.jpg), Dagger (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V-knLRDIp7I/UFVlP8XOpgI/AAAAAAAAAK8/tWrL-aZ7ehI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h36m28s117.jpg). Hopefully the tactic against each weapon will be different.

Captain (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KJncUNnGELs/UFVg442lBiI/AAAAAAAAAJo/5tEoRaYue9k/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h18m34s78.jpg), from his rank and the fact that he wields a sword and pistol would indicate that these guys could be on of the more difficult guards to deal with.

Colonists (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vGrTZLPE_zU/UFVg7Cbe_yI/AAAAAAAAAKg/sp700qb_7h4/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h16m47s37.jpg) also seem to have the basic archetypes, whether they are different from the British counterparts remains to be seen.

Unknown 1 (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vrnss9T4dt0/UFVg4UbbRqI/AAAAAAAAAJc/CxhiEG_2sAI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h02m40s24.jpg), Possibly Hessian Jaegars?

Unknown 2 (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-93UIIHIiq74/UFVg4lHQg8I/AAAAAAAAAJk/DgSJs22ub3g/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h03m52s223.jpg)

Unknown 3 (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C2SiIQscW3Y/UFVg7BbDLII/AAAAAAAAAKc/uQdSLvVtdBo/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h04m07s170.jpg)

Equipment:

Weapons: So far we have Tomahawk, Sword, Hidden Blades, War Club, and Fists.

Tools: Bow, Rope Dart, Dual Pistols and at least three other tools. Connor has also been seen with a musket on his back (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qfIx4L_6fis/UFVu0hh595I/AAAAAAAAALM/l0keXm8bMbk/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-16-02h15m56s76.jpg), which category it belongs to is unknown.

My Thoughts:

I am really glad that they got rid of the the RT crutch, and separated the Attack and Counter buttons. This is a much better input system that requires more attention from the player.

Hopefully the combos and different moves that Hutchinson talked about requires multiple buttons and timing.

It is great that there are a lot of different guards, hopefully each one requiring different approaches and tactics from the player.

With all the weapons, I hope they each other a different purpose instead of the Hidden Blades being the end all be all of the previous titles.

The definitely need more than just shoot followed with CQC tactics. Different combat situations need to appear to push the player to adapt.

InfamousQ1987
09-16-2012, 08:17 AM
:nonchalance:

Splatterhausen
09-16-2012, 02:39 PM

X or Square is responsible for attacking. "Combos" and different "moves" have been mentioned.

A or X is responsible for Break Defence and Human Shield. Since this button is the jump command, kicking and dodging may be other functions.

B or Circle is so far only responsible for Counter. Due to the fact that you tackle using this button, Grab may be another function.

My Thoughts:

I am really glad that they got rid of the the RT crutch, and separated the Attack and Counter buttons. This is a much better input system that requires more attention from the player.

Hopefully the combos and different moves that Hutchinson talked about requires multiple buttons and timing.

It is great that there are a lot of different guards, hopefully each one requiring different approaches and tactics from the player.

With all the weapons, I hope they each other a different purpose instead of the Hidden Blades being the end all be all of the previous titles.

The definitely need more than just shoot followed with CQC tactics. Different combat situations need to appear to push the player to adapt.

I'm glad you brought up the separation of the counter-attack and regular strike buttons. Now it is even more similar to the Batman games, which means its more likely to have combat similar to it. In the other Assassins Creeds of course the strike button and counter button were the same and it just depended if you were in defensive stance or not. With that being said it was impossible to attack and counter at the same time....butttttt now in ACIII they are both usable at the same time as seen on the lower right side of the screen in this E3 Frontier gameplay at 3:50. Attack seems to be labeled "Break Defense".

http://youtu.be/gZrklEy9ohQ?t=3m50s

Escappa
09-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Note: Gametrailer journalist had apparently recorded the button mapping from the demo in February and they were Tool, Attack, Kick, and Grab. This however may have changed during the last 7 months.

Enemies:

So far there are a total of 10 possible enemy archetypes based on their uniform.

Regular Redcoats (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-glmpFKGoapw/UFVg4d3ks_I/AAAAAAAAAJY/VaMuj60smz8/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h40m18s185.jpg), they appear to be the weakest guards so far.

Redcoats with Backpacks (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ee3Baa2WcxY/UFVg4kMjtBI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/Pjb81HR82eQ/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h00m33s66.jpg), three hits from these guys reduced Connor to half health in one of the Wii U demo thus making them a little tougher than the ones above.

Axe-Wielding Scotsmen (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kcojdth-P2E/UFVg4x4vU2I/AAAAAAAAAJs/to5EbI24gBQ/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h20m14s113.jpg), obviously the Brute equivalent of AC3, hopefully their attack speed is kicked up a notch.

Snitch, a very versatile guard archetype that is always wearing blue wielding four different weapons. Musket (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MNjs8t_0rSY/UFVg4RCeKlI/AAAAAAAAAJU/K-h3q5xIvzI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h59m07s210.jpg), Hammer/Hatchet (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yfeMoVVzN1Q/UFVg4Tj6mUI/AAAAAAAAAKM/dqHZyGxMMLw/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h59m39s23.jpg), Sword (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yvZ2NczjkD8/UFVg4fhog4I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/Yx41zlp0pws/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h37m11s47.jpg), Dagger (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V-knLRDIp7I/UFVlP8XOpgI/AAAAAAAAAK8/tWrL-aZ7ehI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-03h36m28s117.jpg). Hopefully the tactic against each weapon will be different.

Captain (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KJncUNnGELs/UFVg442lBiI/AAAAAAAAAJo/5tEoRaYue9k/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h18m34s78.jpg), from his rank and the fact that he wields a sword and pistol would indicate that these guys could be on of the more difficult guards to deal with.

Colonists (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vGrTZLPE_zU/UFVg7Cbe_yI/AAAAAAAAAKg/sp700qb_7h4/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h16m47s37.jpg) also seem to have the basic archetypes, whether they are different from the British counterparts remains to be seen.

Unknown 1 (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vrnss9T4dt0/UFVg4UbbRqI/AAAAAAAAAJc/CxhiEG_2sAI/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h02m40s24.jpg), Possibly Hessian Jaegars?

Unknown 2 (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-93UIIHIiq74/UFVg4lHQg8I/AAAAAAAAAJk/DgSJs22ub3g/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h03m52s223.jpg)

Unknown 3 (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C2SiIQscW3Y/UFVg7BbDLII/AAAAAAAAAKc/uQdSLvVtdBo/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-15-04h04m07s170.jpg)

Equipment:

Tools: Bow, Rope Dart, Dual Pistols and at least three other tools. Connor has also been seen with a musket on his back (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qfIx4L_6fis/UFVu0hh595I/AAAAAAAAALM/l0keXm8bMbk/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-16-02h15m56s76.jpg), which category it belongs to is unknown.

My Thoughts:

Where do the picture for ''unknown 2'' come from?

BBALive
09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Attack seems to be labeled "Break Defense".

http://youtu.be/gZrklEy9ohQ?t=3m50s

The Frontier demo was being played on PS3. The attack button is square, not X.

GunnarGunderson
09-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I think the combat would be better if Connor's chain attacks didn't all insta-kill

Ielgon
09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Enemies:

Equipment:

My Thoughts:

Great post! I can say with 90% certainty that the musket is categorised as a tool (since the pistols are, I've read an article that stated it and they are disposable/throw away in their usage).

moc100
09-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Batman Arkham City has the best combat in any game in my opinion. I love it's easy to learn/hard to master feel. Glad that AC3's combat is inspired by it. I hope there will also be contextual actions in the combat and that we'll be able to counter more than 2 guys at the same time.

EzioAssassin51
10-23-2012, 07:03 AM
AC3's combat will be harder and take more skill to do! If you've kept up to date and watched some videos, you'd know that since each face button has a different function, and there are different archetypes, you need to figure out certain combinations and moves to take down the different archetypes. EG. the Scotsmen that can't be killed with a normal counter!