PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Alpha Graphical Concerns (Putting this to bed)

dewgel
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Evening all!

Okay, I keep on seeing it all over here, people constantly posting graphical concerns of screenshots that are snapped from videos etc.. First of all let me begin by explaining that a screenshot taken from something that's original intention is to be animated and in action is never a good way to judge. So those who keep on pausing YouTube videos to see the details on a soldier's musket or whatever.. don't worry.

Second of all, as I've mentioned several times, I had the distinct pleasure of catching the game in person, being played live. Let me PROMISE you, it looks good. I will admit, my original concerns when I first saw the Frontier Demo at E3 was that the snow looked like milk. It just looked absolutely crap on YouTube and I felt like all those AnvilNext (Next-Gen on Current Gen) promises were just sales pitches.

In person, being projected from a 1080p HD Projector onto a screen in a small room. Oh wow... you can see the particles in the snow, you can see the trails perfectly from everything, you can see the branches bounce as Connor jumps through them. BEARING IN MIND - I SAW THE PRE-ALPHA E3 BUILD ON A PS3. IT'S BEEN POLISHED SINCE THEN.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314751_494665223893152_1259050441_n.jpg

That was the screen I saw it on. I know, a menu doesn't do it justice but you get the idea, right?

Anyway guys, just hope any concerns you had are quickly shunned, I've not met anyone who wasn't impressed in person.

(Apologies if that image ends up being MASSIVE)

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I always figured it would look good in the final game, but those YouTube videos were undeniably horrible. I don't know why they put up such badly compressed trailers.

dewgel
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I always figured it would look good in the final game, but those YouTube videos were undeniably horrible. I don't know why they put up such badly compressed trailers.

It's not Ubi (most of the time), it's just simply what YouTube does. Although I've noticed most videos are only 720p.

But yeah, admittedly I haven't seen the final game, but what I saw of the pre-alpha E3 build was mind blowing.

twenty_glyphs
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Every game I have followed for the past couple of years has gone the same way, from Assassin's Creed games to Arkham City. People on forums clamor for footage, see the footage from demos and trailers, than start complaining about how terrible the textures look. Members argue back and forth about how it's early footage versus how that shouldn't matter and they've been promised better graphics, etc. Game comes out, and all of a sudden there's no one on the forums complaining about how terrible the textures look.

Even I started getting wrapped up in that thought with Revelations last year when watching trailers around this time. Then the game came out, and I was super impressed with how well Constantinople looked even in the distance after thinking it didn't look very good in the trailers. Between pre-alpha footage being used for trailers and video compression, it's hard to judge just how well a game will look until you see it on your own TV.

pacmanate
08-29-2012, 11:07 PM
All of us here by now should know that youtube compression + game capture/compression = not very good. Good turn out for AC though.... 5 or so people...

dewgel
08-30-2012, 06:47 AM
All of us here by now should know that youtube compression + game capture/compression = not very good. Good turn out for AC though.... 5 or so people...
My photo was taken after the demo was shown, there were about 60 people there for the thing

morpheusPrime08
08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
My photo was taken after the demo was shown, there were about 60 people there for the thing

Where/When was this shown?

HisSpiritLives
08-30-2012, 10:03 AM
AC3 graphics are going to be great i dont doubt that.

Stroonzje
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
same thing happened with borderlands everyone was like "oh **** the black outline looks ****ing terrible huurduur" ad "erhmahgard the graphics are tarrible" but then it came out and everyone loved the graphics and the outline idea

ajl992008
08-31-2012, 09:31 AM
for ps3 players if you go onto playstation store and go to assassins creed 3 you can download a 720p video of the boston commented demo, although it is still compressed you will still get a better idea of it's graphics than a youtbue video, from what i saw i imagined it cleared up and sharper and i could tell this will look better than revelations, more noticable was the npc animations which were super detailed, it may be on xbox marketplace but i dont know but all ps3 users, download it and check it out.

roostersrule2
08-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Yea its on Xbox as well it basically the same graphics as watching it on small screen on YouTube except on big screen.

BeCk41
08-31-2012, 11:31 AM
yep, those guys in the picture look really excited to be there... :nonchalance:

dewgel
08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
yep, those guys in the picture look really excited to be there... :nonchalance:

As I said, that was after the demo had ended and everyone was leaving. Everyone wuz excited bud :)

deskp
08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
The game won't be running in 1080p on consoles fyi.

I think people have been able to know what is caused by compression and what is jsut low res textures. I'm sure it'll all be fine in the final game, for the musket example we have seen both good and bad musket textures, its easy to assume the bad quality one were for an older/worse build of the game.

Either way, how often will you zoom into see the details of a musket anyway.

I agree, pausing videos is never a good representation of anything

dewgel
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM

I think people have been able to know what is caused by compression and what is jsut low res textures. I'm sure it'll all be fine in the final game, for the musket example we have seen both good and bad musket textures, its easy to assume the bad quality one were for an older/worse build of the game.

Very true in all you say. Something that is designed to be animated and always moving will never look good when paused.

morpheusPrime08
08-31-2012, 11:18 PM

Ummm.... yup im pretty sure all games that come out on atleas on Xbox, run at 1080p :P

rileypoole1234
09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
You've only reawakened this by making this thread...

roostersrule2
09-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Ummm.... yup im pretty sure all games that come out on atleas on Xbox, run at 1080p :PIt's 720p but upscaled to 1080p so the difference isn't really that big.

GLHS
09-01-2012, 01:12 PM
But at the same time, colors are sharper. It's most noticeable in reds and blues. AC1 especially looks better in 1080p. I used to have a smaller tv that only went to 1080i, but got a bigger tv about a year ago that is 1080p, and there are noticeable differences in colors and detail. It's not a huge leap, but you can tell.

dewgel
09-01-2012, 05:10 PM
You've only reawakened this by making this thread...

I haven't. It was being touched on quite a bit in various threads, such as the Dev Diary thread. Noticed quite a few people moaning about it and Mr Shade constantly trying to remind people it's simply YouTube compression and that trailer scenes are taken from various consoles and PC.

And for those mentioning the 1080p thing.. There's probably very few games that actually run at 1080p. You'll notice on your console (PS3 for me) that when you go to the XMB during a game, it'll look noticeably poorer in quality. That's because the console / game are setting the output at 720p.

Some TV's will actually tell you when you put a game in. You'll see it, when you turn the console on it'll say "1080i" or whatever, then you load a game, it'll flicker and pop up "1080p" or "720p" Check the back of the game's case to see what it runs at.