PDA

View Full Version : Open E String not sustaining?

Rwarrior28
08-29-2012, 05:18 AM
When the song has a sustain, I have no problem with it ringing out till the end. My bass has really really good sustain. I'm using a Musicman Stingray 5. Every sustain note works fine, but when it's open E string, after a second, it just cuts off. I would pluck the E string and then the sustain bar would wiggle for a bit, then just stop. Every other sustain works fine though? What's wrong with the open E? The game just stops detecting it after the first second or somethin

Edit: It has active pickups. The sound sustains. I can hear it fine, but the game just isn't detecting it. The game detects the sustain for a little bit, then the sustain bar just stops moving like I'm not playing it, but I can still hear it ringing out. This happens only with bass, not when I'm playing guitar.

rcole_sooner
08-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Sounds like the nut slot is too low on the E string, and it is freting out.

There are a few solutions: A new nut, shim or raise the current nut, or fill and recut or shape the E string nut slot.

I've never raised or shimed a nut, except a locking nut on a double locking sytem (guitar).

I have filled a nut slot to raise a string. I used a mixture of baking soda (not powder) and super (CA) glue. Try it out on something else first, that stuff dries fast, hard, and put outs some heat. When it is set, it is hard as all get out, it will hold fine in the nut slot.

I just replaced my nut with a Tusq nut. It is pretty easy, and they only cost about $7. I would really rather have done a GraphTec nut (I think they let the string stay in tune better), but a Tusq was available.

Of course, it could be the very first fret is a little high on the E string side, but take your pick, fix the nut or the fret. You might check and see if that first fret is loose (i.e. can you push it down with your finger).

Rwarrior28
08-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Thank you Rcole, but I don't think I should be doing anything to the bass. XD lol. I'll just leave it for now. I'm kinda scared. I've never done any of that kind of stuff to a bass or a guitar. I don't want to ruin it or anything. It is still playable. I just have to keep plucking the open E to keep the sustain bar going.

ravenreaver
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I actually am having the same issue. I've double checked my bass' sustain with both a pedal tuner and a hand held one and both confirm that the problem is not on my end. For the most part the sustain on my bass is great, and I've only had problems with the open E sustain. So I'm thinking this may be a bug.

jimmydunes
08-29-2012, 01:01 PM
You aren't the only one. Sorry Rcole, but there is something wrong with the way Rocksmith detects the low notes. My low E rings out with beautiful sustain and sounds fantastic. The kind of bassy sustain that tickles you down under, but Rocksmith only detects the first couple of seconds and then cuts out.

I saw this on my guitar as well. My friend, an electrical engineer and Rocksmith player, had doubts that the low bass notes would be recognized using the Rocksmith cable at all. So far it has done pretty well though and I have no real complaints.

Brick235
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Same problem here. The note is def still ringing but it just cuts out in the game.

MaxKeeping
08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm having the same issue. I know that it is not a setup issue with the base as the note will continue to sustain on my amp, I use an a/b/y switch to send the signal to the my amp and the console. My bass has passive pickups and I was wondering if basses with active pickups have the same problem?

rcole_sooner
08-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, if your notes are actually sustaining on the bass, but not in the game, then it may not be the bass.

I was assuming the OP meant it was not sustaining on the bass.

I have not noticed my open E string, not sustaining, in RS. In fact, watch this video, plenty of sustain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0IqBNUxDM

MajorErickson continued to pick that last long sustain, but it has always rang out too.

Brick235
08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah. Using active pups here.

MaxKeeping
08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Do you notice the problem while using the tuner as well?

rcole_sooner
08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Now that I do see, but it happens with my tuner out of the game too. I assume that is the slight change in string pressure and position (on the nut), causing it to stop vibrating. It seems to happen on all of my bass strings.

I mean the note sustains fine, until I start adjusting tuning, so the string is "moving", when the sustain is cut short.

Albeit, less so, with the new Tusq nut. I bet a GraphTec would almost eliminate it.

MaxKeeping
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
That's different than what I am seeing. The tuner tends to bounce around while the note is still ringing out and I have to strum the strung again to tune, I'm not actually touching the tuner. The string is definitely still vibrating otherwise I wouldn't hear the note coming out of my amp. I have a GraphTec nut. This only seems to be a problem with the E string.

rcole_sooner
08-29-2012, 04:29 PM
So much, for my GraphTec nut theory. :o

mbarsott
08-29-2012, 04:42 PM
There was a thread about this a while ago, I guess. I was having the same problem and my bass has two pickups. The recommendation was to turn off one of the pickups. I use only the brdge pickup now, and lower notes sustain very well after that.

Yrd
08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I have 2 basses. One with a single passive pickup and another with 2 active pickups. There's no switch on the 2 pickup bass, but I guess I could turn one of the pickups off by just turning the volume all the way down. Of course, turning a pickup off would work for people that have 2 pickups, but what do you do if you have a single pickup?

I have had issue with the open E sustain only on the single passive pickup bass. I've had no issues with the 2 active pickups, and they are both set to mid to mid-high volume levels. It's frustrating because I would prefer to play the bass that won't register the sustain.

I've had some luck with the passive pickup plucking lighter than normal. Doesn't always work. Also just constant plucking will keep the sustain going in game, but it ruins the original intended sound.

MaxKeeping
08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip!

usersrdum
08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm having the same issue. Active pickups/open E string

This is the work around until this bug is fixed. On long sustains I very lightly brush my fingers over the E string over and over.

muzac989
08-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I've noticed that I get significant'y better sustain detection if I'm using my bridge pick-up as opposed to blended or neck.

Nematod180
08-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I get this as well, on guitar and on bass. Often RS even picks up the same note again! So it detects me playing the note and after a short while suddenly drops it and then after another short while (probably a second or so) it suddenly registers it again without me having picked anything.
The last detection does not give me any points, I guess it's thinks I played the note again.

In my case I was thinking that it is me plucking the string to hard/wrong so it frets and the fretting stops the detection and when the string vibrates less and stops fretting RS detects it again. I'll try being gentler next time with my bass and see if it helps, it has an awesome sustain anyway so I probably don't need all that force.

Anyway it's not a big issue for me.. other then when I score 69999 or 99999 and could have used those extra points to unlock a tone or MM.. :D

Rwarrior28
08-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I edited the original post with more info. and like what other people said, I can still hear the note ringing out, but the game just isn't detecting it. It just detects like the first 1-2 seconds.

HEAVYMETALMATT
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Same exact issue here. I use a cheap bass, but I personally set it up and it makes no contact with the frets to throw it off. I also mute the higher strings to ensure they don't start to ring out and it sustains perfectly through an amp, so I'm positive it's the game. I just adjust and continue picking the open E sustains.

UndoingBus943
08-30-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm just using a cheap 2nd-hand bass, a Squier P-Bass. It only has one passive pickup, volume is about 50%, not sure about tone. No problems with sustain in-game. Switching to the bridge pickup helped my guitar, I would try that for sure.

Yrd
08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I just ordered myself a set of these Dimarzio DP127s. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass-102126240-i1127656.gc) Hopefully these might help me out. It's for my Peavey Fury a beginner's bass from the mid 90's. Should probably get new strings too, but I'll see how this goes first.

C.Linton
09-01-2012, 02:58 AM
IMO, you might have done better getting new strings and a setup first instead.

crispyfunk
09-01-2012, 06:58 AM
try going through the sound check with your bass the noise gate could be set to high

Yrd
09-01-2012, 07:38 AM
There's really nothing to setup. The bass plays fine, the intonation is fine. It picks up the first half second of the sustain, then cuts out. I actually like the mellow tone of my old strings more than the new strings I just got for my other bass that has no sustain issues.

As for the sound check I made sure to play as quietly as possible so the volume can be turned up later.

serkantur
09-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem here. the thing is it doesnt seem reading but after end of the note game gives the point. So I thought its a problem about animation. It does read but it doesnt show reading. Now I am not sure what the real problem is. Maybe I supposed to have more points but I am having less because it doesnt read all the way?

Yrd
09-01-2012, 05:45 PM
You get more points if you can get the sustain to hold until the end of the bar. At the end of the visual line you'll get a little bonus, if you can sustain for the entire line. But if you hit the note when it was meant to be started, and it cut off in the middle, you'll still get points. You can always start the note again in the middle of the sustain, and still get the bonus, if the sustain is long enough.

Nytestalker5
09-02-2012, 03:58 AM
I believe it is an active vs passive pickup issue.
My mid 90s peavey fury IV has active pickups and has issues
With the tuner and sustains. I can hear it ring but game
Drops out the sustain.
My son has a ibanez mikro with passive pickups
And has no issues at all.
Let's test this out.
If you are not sure what your bass is.
If it had a 9 volt it is active.

serkantur
09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Drops out the sustain.
Let's test this out.

You may be right I have Ibanez gsr 200 which has active pickups and has issues with tuner and sustains.

Ryder35
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
My passive fender p-bass does it so not just active pups

ravenreaver
09-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Now that I do see, but it happens with my tuner out of the game too. I assume that is the slight change in string pressure and position (on the nut), causing it to stop vibrating. It seems to happen on all of my bass strings.

I mean the note sustains fine, until I start adjusting tuning, so the string is "moving", when the sustain is cut short.

Albeit, less so, with the new Tusq nut. I bet a GraphTec would almost eliminate it.

I just wanted to say that I have the same issue in game, but with my out of game tuner my low E sustain is nearly perfect for the entire duration of the sustain, with only a minor fluctuation just before it runs out of energy, when tuned properly.

Drops out the sustain.
Let's test this out.

I would also like to note that I use Passive pick ups. I dislike the sound of active ones.

Brick235
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't think it's an active vs passive issue. Both my guitar and bass have active pups and I have no problems with the guitar, just the bass. It is also only the E string open sustain. I've tried picking soft vs hard, plucking, switching pups, treble, etc. It just drops out in the game.

MaxKeeping
09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I've tried turning down each of my passive pickups, based on the advice in this thread, and it still doesn't sustain. It's too bad since there are quite a few open E string sustains in the game and I feel that I'm leaving quite a few point on the table.

Blind662
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm having the same problem here with my Ibanez SR500

Yrd
09-07-2012, 10:57 PM
New pickups are in, and open E still does not sustain.

mistafist
10-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Having this same issue with my girlfriend's Peavey Milestone BXP on PC version. Only on the low E sustain. Quite annoying.

Jake_SeattleX19
10-15-2012, 06:19 AM
i have the problem with my ibanez gsr200 and fender p-bass. ps3 and more noticable on pc version.

Godniar
10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Same problem with Fender American Standard Jazz Bass on PS3 version.

JTCoop
10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I just wanted to say that I have the same issue in game, but with my out of game tuner my low E sustain is nearly perfect for the entire duration of the sustain, with only a minor fluctuation just before it runs out of energy, when tuned properly.

This seems like a reasonable solution. Use a different (i.e. actual) tuner instead of the in-game tuner and see if that helps.

The tuner issue was discussed early in the history of this forum. I'm not sure there was ever a conclusive statement on the subject, but the impression I got was that the in-game tuning check isn't so much a tuner as a calibration tool. You can be quite out of tune and still be considered "in tune" by the in-game tuning check. The game doesn't really care as long as you are within a range of frequencies near the actual note. The basic tuning check brings you within a range of the actual note and mainly tells the game what frequency to expect when you play each string.

(I've noticed in the past that I can be "in tune" according to the tuning check and not even be in tune from string to string. I still get points because the game interprets my notes correctly based on the in-game tuning check, but if you listen to the actual guitar it sounds awful.)

The Precision Tuner seems to be a little better. You could try that if you don't own a real tuner (just press the A button when tuning - if you use XBox, not sure what the control is for PS3/PC).

Yellow_Melos
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM

(I've noticed in the past that I can be "in tune" according to the tuning check and not even be in tune from string to string. I still get points because the game interprets my notes correctly based on the in-game tuning check, but if you listen to the actual guitar it sounds awful.)

The Precision Tuner seems to be a little better. You could try that if you don't own a real tuner (just press the A button when tuning - if you use XBox, not sure what the control is for PS3/PC).

I have a similar problem that my guitar can be in tune but still sounds awful when i play it... i think it has some thing to do with my inability to the play the guitar as i have not plugged into rocksmith yet !!!!:D

anyway.. reading through this thread, i suspect that this software was written for use with the low end guitars in mind rather than the more expensive and i suspect that using better quality pickups would not make a difference.

as others have said.. tune you guitar/bass to the the game setting.. then tune it properly with the a external tuner, that way you know it's going to be correct. only use one pickup ( if you have two ) also wondering if anyone has a preamp module that might be causing the USB cable to not register the frequency's correctly, can these be turned off...

i have played the demo using a Accustic guitar and did find on the ducks game that it would not always register the fret i was playing.. ( this was not bass emulatiuon was playing on normal guitar part ) all the other strings seems to register o.k. so could also just be a problem with the low E frequency's/ computer hardware not being able to pick it up

chitownjeff
10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
This is interesting. I'm playing Outshined which is a drop D song, and every time there's a sustained open E, it starts out correct and after a second or two the game says I'm playing the wrong note but I'm just letting it ring like I'm supposed to. What's frustrating is that after another second or two the game sometimes picks it back up. So when you like it ring for say a 10 count, the first few are correct, then it's wrong, then it's correct till the end.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

moogman79
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Did you check the settings on your bridge?
Did you set the octave's adjustment and the intonation correct?

If the intonation get wrong with the time, could it be that your strings are new or you are hitting the strings to hard?
Sometimes especially if you are using "a cheap" instrument it will detune, cause the neck and the mechanics are not very good.

Maybe thats the problem.

SideTraKd42
10-21-2012, 05:35 AM
I had the same problem with my bass when I was playing Next Girl for the weekly. The open E was sustaining very nicely, but the game only picked up a second or so of it. I tried using a pick (which feels foreign to me on a bass) and it actually registered the sustain better, but not by much.

Monsieur Samson
11-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm completely new to guitar or bass.
I've just bought a brand new Ibanez SR300 and I have the "open E string not sustaining" issue. No other sustain issue on any other string, nor when using a fret on the E string.
Tuning the E string is a pain since the tuner stops "hearing" the string after a second. The only way to tune is to strum the string in rapid succession.

Every people around me (that's 2 ;)) using a bass with rocksmith has the exact same issue.

Any comment from Ubi about this ?

elemenohpenc
11-14-2012, 04:05 PM
i've noticed this happening to me... whenever there's a sustained low e, i just consistently pick through it or play a free styled rhythm (making sure not to mute and to pick softly which helps emulate the sustain)

i only do this b/c i assume you get more points for holding your sustains although i've never seen a "Great Sustain" comment with a +points on it... who knows?

C.Linton
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Hmm. Never had this problem on any of my 3 basses with the game, and most of the songs I've been playing (not a huge number, LOL) have a number of open E notes in them. Nothing but good sustain, (even got the "great sustain" notice quite a few times). I can't figure what the problem could be.

Yrd
11-15-2012, 12:01 AM
I wish I could figure it out too. Because I have 2 basses and 1 exhibits this behavior and one does not. The one that will not register a low e open string sustain in the game is the bass I would rather play.

Even after installing different pickups, it didn't fix the problem. I haven't tried with my PC game yet. The grounding wire popped off when I tried to put the pick guard back on. Because my soldering iron is horrible and I couldn't get a good connection. I never bothered fixing it since it didn't work with the game anyway. I'll have to try and spend that hour trying to get a good solder on it again...

i only do this b/c i assume you get more points for holding your sustains although i've never seen a "Great Sustain" comment with a +points on it... who knows?

You do get more points if you sustain till the end. Just watch your score at the end of a sustain. I don't know if your score goes down when the sustain cuts out like our basses do, and then we try to continue the sustain by plucking again. I notice a score increase at the end still. Just don't know if cutting out in the middle reduces that bonus.

smedford
11-15-2012, 06:45 AM
My open E on my PBass does not register sustains at all, but on my short scale bass it does for what seems like a This is Spinal Tap length of time. Im bummed I loaned my shortscale out and will likely never see it back.

XaininPC
11-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I ran into the same problem and JUST upgraded from a squier jaguar shortscale to an ibanez sr500. The 500 sustains any note probably 3 times longer/better than the jaguar but same open e problem where it cuts off after a half second. Hit or miss as to whether I have same problem with in game tuner. Have restrung and tried all kinds of settings with the volumes. I did notice something that so far looks like hasn't been mentioned, hope maybe it leads to somebody coming up with a solution.

If some of you guys can confirm the same thing it might help. It looks like the game on some guitars might be picking some of the sustain on a wrong octave. Those of you with the open E problem try this and see if happens to you too. Play High & Dry by Radiohead. Many verses have open E sustain and 12th fret E sustain. Open E of course cuts off on us. Try playing the 12th fret E with OPEN E instead. For me after half a second when game would stop registering my open E sustain, it will actually register as 12th fret E, octave higher, and COUNT it for that note.

In case that was confusing: Try playing any E 12th fret long sustain in the game with OPEN E instead and see if it registers when it shouldn't. Come to think of it this might even register if you play a 7th fret A string sustain with open E. Basically looks like this problem is from RS registering open E's sustain for us (so far me anyway) as an octave higher after .5 seconds.

Not that I think they care much as I don't see any response to this thread you guys have had going for a while. But maybe if they knew exactly what the problem was, and ends up being an easy fix they'd actually acknowledge the issue. Yeah I know, probably wishful thinking :P

rcole_sooner
11-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Some songs sustain better than others, but most not as long as needed.

I just do extras picks to get credit for sustain.

Without the amp feedback it is hard to get an instrument to sustain, even with lots of effects in the chain.

Now if it is a dead string with absolutely no sustain at all, that is a different issue, and most likely a problem with the instrument.

But if it is just not ringing out for a whole measure or 2, then I would not worry, mine don't either.

cbpteo
01-16-2013, 06:55 AM
So we've decided that there is no solution? You just have to pick extra to get the sustain on open e? And yeah, I've got the issue with the tuning being wonky on the e string unless I strum it quickly.

rcole_sooner
01-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Yep, that is how it is.

It ain't perfect, but it is usable.

Johnny 24l11
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
i get the same problem as u bt am playing guitar. am playing a dean knight ml, and that thing can ring and roar but rocksmith doest pick it up half the time

Monsieur Samson
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
I've used a chromatic tuner to check the tuning of the E chord 12th fret, and it's ok, so I guess intonation is not an issue in my case.
My bass (ibanez sr300) sustains a little bit better the nearer to the bridge I strum...

mbarsott
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
So we've decided that there is no solution? You just have to pick extra to get the sustain on open e? And yeah, I've got the issue with the tuning being wonky on the e string unless I strum it quickly.

Yeah, other solutions include US$ 7000 guitars with incredible sustain and pickups, turning the volume of your amp very loud so there is some feedback, a cumbersome $100 eBow, or other less orthodox solutions. I pick extra, preferrably on the beat of the song so it sounds less strange.

Deviate3s
01-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Nice to see I'm not the only one with this issue. It has had the same problem with at least 6 of my basses (ranging from a decent Spector to a cheapie Yamaha).

Yrd
01-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the guitar. I have an Ibanez SR890 that cost maybe $800 new? I don't really know I got it from a pawn shop almost 10 years ago for about $400. It sustains perfectly in Rocksmith.

Maybe it's something with the wiring or the output jacks. I don't know enough about sound and electronics to figure it out.

jokerZero666
01-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah, other solutions include US$ 7000 guitars with incredible sustain and pickups, turning the volume of your amp very loud so there is some feedback, a cumbersome $100 eBow, or other less orthodox solutions. I pick extra, preferrably on the beat of the song so it sounds less strange.

I have to disagree there, ANY decent hardtail with a well fitted bridge and nut, properly set up with good quality (read newish), strings and sensitive pups will give the maximum possible sustain. Floating bridges are more of a challenge, but you can still do this without spending silly money. guitar quality goes up to about 2k then your paying for, name, novelty, collectability or plain aesthetics. All of which are very worthwhile, but you don't need to spend more than 2k to get a fantastic quality electric solid body, even with a floating bridge, and often you can get something for much less than this.

mbarsott
01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
For those who didn't get it, the $ 7000 guitars was irony. You can get very slight better sustain with very expensive guitars, but iit is easier and cheaper to pick again.

voigtstrPS3
01-20-2013, 12:39 AM
The PRS SE singlecut I've borrowed does open E sustains fine. I'll let people know the Epiphone Special II GT is like when it arrives.

crashyoung
01-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I hooked up my True tone cable to my laptop and using a tuner
program that monitors frequency and voltage, I saw some strange things.
The frequency would jump high when picked, then drop low and settle in tune.
The voltage would start out nice and high, and quickly drop off.
The level could be raised by raising the pickup to the string, and that
helped the sustain.
I suspect the output from the guitars are fine on an amp, but drop below
the trigger value for the game. Perhaps you could raise the side of the
pickup for the strings cutting out?

boots000
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi, I have this problem too. I am using a Thunderbird which sustains for a nice long time :) So I plugged into Audacity and performed some spectral analysis. Interestingly I observed that the fundamental (E1) is the strongest harmonic component initially but it decays more quickly than the second harmonic (E2). Could this be why Rocksmith does not recognise the note is being sustained? Perhaps the bass appears to be the game to be playing a note an octave higher.

Horror Angel
10-31-2015, 12:51 AM
Yeah it prevents me from playing temple of bends and other things that require high E to sound longer than a couple seconds. ALso I cant play a lot of notes right of course. Its nto me thank h-AAHHHLLLAH its not my awesome guitar (was gonna be so pissed it wasnt as perfect as I thought)). Amazing they still havent fixed this years later. Boycott their DLC till they fix their software. << text removed >>

Gerkeey
11-07-2015, 05:38 AM
I just brought a new Mexican fender jazz bass and I'm having the same thing happen to me. But my squire works fine, as long as the notes register I don't have a problem with it