PDA

View Full Version : The Assassin's Creed: Forsaken novel might be a prequel to AC3 *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS

twenty_glyphs
08-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I was looking for information on the Forsaken novel that was announced last month, and came across a new summary for it on Penguin's site:

“I am an expert swordsman. And I am skilled in the business of death. I take no pleasure in my skill. Simply, I am good at it.”

1735—London. Haytham Kenway has been taught to use a sword from the age he was able to hold one. When his family’s house is attacked—his father murdered and his sister taken by armed men—Haytham defends his home the only way he can: he kills.

With no family, he is taken in by a mysterious tutor who trains him to become a deadly killer. Consumed by his thirst for revenge Haytham begins a quest for retribution, trusting no one and questioning everything he has ever known.

Conspiracy and betrayal surround him as he is drawn into the centuries old battle between the Assassins and the Templars.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780425261514,00.html

So it seems that this novel is a tie-in instead of an adaptation of AC3's story. This might also put a nail in the coffin of the Charles Lee as Connor's father theory, seeing as the main character is named Haytham Kenway and this summary lists a year just 20 years or so before AC3 is said to start. Seeing as Connor's last name is Kenway, I'm going to bet that's not a coincidence. It seems this novel might be the story of Connor's father in London, possibly leading to him arriving in America and meeting Connor's mother.

I still wonder what's up with Connor's father though. Alex Hutchinson said he wished they hadn't revealed Connor's last name because it was tied into the surprise of the story in some way. Also, I can't find anything on Google about Haytham Kenway, so he seems to be a fictional character.

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 12:17 AM
FINALLY !!!

Thank you good, sir..

Although, lets see who`s the first to say "I still believe Charles is bla bla"

Nice find, mate;)

Also, Haytham is an Arab name:rolleyes:

tarrero
08-29-2012, 12:17 AM
This man named Kenway could be his mentor though.....

EscoBlades
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM
*strokes chin* ;)

Good spot indeed

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 12:27 AM
This man named Kenway could be his mentor though.....
Why make a story about the Protagonist`s Mentor -_-

Its his dad... NOPE... NOPE !!

De Filosoof
08-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Maybe his mentor is like a father to him.
Why would Alex say that he wished he never revealed Connor's last name if they're all fictional characters?

menumaxibestof
08-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Wait a minute. No, this can't end like this. There are too many people fighting for Charles Lee to be Connor's father.
So I'll propose a new theory :

Charles Lee secretly raped a mohawk woman. She became pregnant and had a son : Ratonhnhaké:ton. Haytham Kenway came from London, fell in love with this woman, and became Ratonhnhaké:ton's adoptive father.

TA-DAAAAA ! Problem solved. :D

EscoBlades
Maybe his mentor is like a father to him.
Why would Alex say that he wished he never revealed Connor's last name if they're all fictional characters?

The revelation of Connor's last name would focus most fan's attention on the name. Imagine if it had never come to light that his surname was Kenway, and then we had stumbled upon this novel synopsis. No one would be any the wiser as to who Haytham could possibly be. There would be mystery and intrigue.

tarrero

Nobody knows , at this point it is just an speculation. So, as you have pointed to many other people, it is not accurate to jump to conclusions THIS soon, only time will tell......

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Kind of odd that the book has Connor on the front of it then... Anyway, if the game starts in 1753, two years before the birth of Connor, maybe we play as this Haytham guy in London for a bit :cool: Yes please.

DoNNiEDaRkO50
08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Haytham? Like M said Haytham is an arabic name ,,,, could this mean that connor is somehow related to Altair?

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Haytham? Like M said Haytham is an arabic name ,,,, could this mean that connor is somehow related to Altair?

I doubt it, but maybe.

monoman32
08-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Maybe it's both. Maybe Haytham trains Connor and Connor doesn't know that it's his dad til the very end?

Serrachio
08-29-2012, 01:36 AM

It would be highly improbable. Besides, Altair urged the Assassins at Masyaf to spread out over the world, so the reason why Haytham had his first name could be dependant on him having Syrian roots.

rileypoole1234
08-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Bravo chap, good find.

ToniTorsi
08-29-2012, 01:42 AM
The revelation of Connor's last name would focus most fan's attention on the name. Imagine if it had never come to light that his surname was Kenway, and then we had stumbled upon this novel synopsis. No one would be any the wiser as to who Haytham could possibly be. There would be mystery and intrigue.

Aw, Poor Alex. :(

He's probably saying many "s" words in his head regretting this calamity ever took place!

SteelCity999
08-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Found this regarding the name Kenway. Could they be cooking up something related to King George??

This interesting surname of English origin is derived from the Middle English Kenewi, Old English Cynewig or Cenwig, composed of the elements "cyne" meaning "royal" or "cene" meaning "keen" or "bold" plus "wig" "war" hence "royal war" or "bold war". The surname dates back to the early 12th Century, (see below). Further recordings include one Ralph Kenewi (1221) "Charters and Rolls in the British Museum,, London". Variations in the idiom of the spelling include Kennaway, Kenneway, Kenaway, etc. One William Kenneway married Margaret Higgos at St. Dunstan, Stepney on June 5th 1601. One Joseph Kenway married Anne Berkett at St. James' Dukes Place, London on July 30th 1694, and David Kennoway married Elizabeth Power on May 12th 1715 at St. Dunstan, Stepney. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Chienewe, which was dated 1130, in the "Pipe Rolls of Hampshire", during the reign of King Henry 1, known as "The Lion of Justice", 1100 - 1135. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 02:32 AM
A lot of things point to Haytham being the father, Alright I apologize for jumping to conclusions, but there you go..

First, Why dictate the story of the Protagonist`s Mentor ? I mean it has the Protagonist on the cover.. I think the Father suits better..
Second, Alex regrets revealing the name, so..
Third, Its never said that Connor doesn't know his father, so Perhaps he indeed knows him and thus adopts a western name along with his Father`s..
Fourth, they said his father was British and Lee is not technically British is he ? One smart fella will say "At the time, Everyone was British" No..
Fifth, Why adopt his Mentor`s name ? Why is the Mentor British ? how is he British ?

Haytham being Connor`s father fits way more, He seems the right Age.. He`s British and his life is detailed in the Novel, so..
Besides, Lee as his father was so damm cheesy.... "Connor I.... am your father" and then he has a twin.... "Connor I...... am your brother" it just cant work..

Ashen-AngelFox
08-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Fourth, they said his father was British and Lee is not technically British is he ? One smart fella will say "At the time, Everyone was British" No..

Lee was British, no technicalities. He was born in Cheshire, England in 1732.

That said, I like this Haytham fella for Connor's father better. He just seems to fit the bill better. Not sure why. And I might actually pick Forsaken up when it comes out now.

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 02:54 AM
Lee was British, no technicalities. He was born in Cheshire, England in 1732.

I know that -_-

But then he became a Colonist Commander, that's the bit im playing on..

Ashen-AngelFox
08-29-2012, 03:04 AM
I know that -_-

But then he became a Colonist Commander, that's the bit im playing on..

Apologies. I've just always understood the assertion that Connor's father being British was referencing nationality and not political allegiance. And he wasn't a colonist commander at the time of Connor's birth. He was still a British soldier until he sold his commission after the Seven Years' War and only became a General in the Continental Army when he volunteered after the war broke out.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you over this, so please don't misunderstand my position.

Calvarok
08-29-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm really glad about this. I hate it when video game books are just retellings of the game: it never properly fits into the game and it's boring to retread old paths. This is far more interesting. I hope they keep doing this, the AC universe is ripe for stand-alone stories, like the Halo books.

Kit572
08-29-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm really glad about this. I hate it when video game books are just retellings of the game: it never properly fits into the game and it's boring to retread old paths. This is far more interesting. I hope they keep doing this, the AC universe is ripe for stand-alone stories, like the Halo books.

Agreed, I read a book once on the force unleashed (Not the book the game was based off of, but someone else translating the game into a small novel). It wasn't very interesting...

jiajen
08-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Ugh I really don't want to read another of Bowden's novels but this blurb is actually making me interested :(

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Maybe it's both. Maybe Haytham trains Connor and Connor doesn't know that it's his dad til the very end?

I hope not, because if this was true we will have discovered the plot twist about two months in advance :nonchalance:

Kit572
08-29-2012, 04:43 AM
I hope not, because if this was true we will have discovered the plot twist about two months in advance :nonchalance:

Hmph, good point...

Slayer_WTF
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
"Do not judge a book by its cover"

I like the idea that Forsaken stories of a completely new story.

Serrachio
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
"Do not judge a book by its cover"

I like the idea that Forsaken stories of a completely new story.

I don't think people are judging it by its cover. Connor would probably be the novel's main character, and Haytham could be included for one part of the book, like a prologue.

I think what people are actually judging it for is because of Bowden's god-awful sentence structuring.

GLHS
08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Even though it makes sense for Haytham to be Connor's father, ya'll are missing one very important detail. If it's an Assassin who trains Haytham to be a better killer, that would mean Connor's father is an Assassin, meaning he'd be born into the Brotherhood. They already stated that he is not. However, what if it's a Templar who trains Haytham? Wouldn't that be a crazy twist? Connor becomes an Assassin for justice, then finds out later that his father was actually a Templar......

That's only on the assumption that Haytham is Connor's father, of course

monoman32
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Maybe thats why they didn't want Connor's name released.

Umbra_Blade
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Nice find. I think that this Haytham guy fits the role of the father a bit better than Lee. But there is one thing I see happening, this Haytham guy may have the same name as Connor, but he may not be the father. He could be a relative such as an Uncle.

If it's an Assassin who trains Haytham to be a better killer, that would mean Connor's father is an Assassin, meaning he'd be born into the Brotherhood. They already stated that he is not.
As stated by GLHS, Connor is raised outside the brotherhood. This means he knows nothing of the brotherhood from his immediate family. This could be explained by his father not being there during his childhood, his father wanting to keep his family out of danger (as it says in the description: "I am an expert swordsman. And I am skilled in the business of death. I take no pleasure in my skill. Simply, I am good at it.” this sounds like a man who doesn't particularly see assassinating as a thing to be proud of), or his father was never in the order himself. Going on that last point it could be possible that Connor comes across this Haytham when escaping the camp, and his uncle teaches him the ways of the assassins. Sounds very similar to AC2 so it probably won't be true. But, hey, anything is possible and worth speculating :D

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Maybe thats why they didn't want Connor's name released.

If it was a MAJOR spoiler, I think they would have tried a little harder to keep it under wraps.

AnthonyA85
08-29-2012, 05:45 PM
When did Alex say he's regretting letting Connor's last name slip?

I'm liking this theory a whole lot better than the "Charles is his dad! We have picture proof!" theory, and to think, that whole argument is based on one piece of CONCEPT ART (at least it looked like concept art.), anyways, just because Connor doesn't know about the Brotherhood during his early years doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't born into it.

Ezio had no idea his family were assassins until half of them were snuffed.

Although the idea that this Hathem Kenway could have been trained as a Templar, and not an Assassin, would add an interesting twist.

FirestarLuva
08-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info. And the 'Altair is Connor's ancestor' is also an interesting theory. :)

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info. And the 'Connor is Altair's ancestor' is also an interesting theory. :)
Can I be that guy ?:p

You mean, Altair as Connor`s Ancestor xD

Also, he doesn't have to be..An Arab name doesn't automatically equal Altair

FirestarLuva
08-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Can I be that guy ?:p

You mean, Altair as Connor`s Ancestor xD

Also, he doesn't have to be..An Arab name doesn't automatically equal Altair

Lol, don't know what happened there. XD

tarrero
08-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I was looking for information on the Forsaken novel that was announced last month, and came across a new summary for it on Penguin's site:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780425261514,00.html

So it seems that this novel is a tie-in instead of an adaptation of AC3's story. This might also put a nail in the coffin of the Charles Lee as Connor's father theory, seeing as the main character is named Haytham Kenway and this summary lists a year just 20 years or so before AC3 is said to start. Seeing as Connor's last name is Kenway, I'm going to bet that's not a coincidence. It seems this novel might be the story of Connor's father in London, possibly leading to him arriving in America and meeting Connor's mother.

I still wonder what's up with Connor's father though. Alex Hutchinson said he wished they hadn't revealed Connor's last name because it was tied into the surprise of the story in some way. Also, I can't find anything on Google about Haytham Kenway, so he seems to be a fictional character.

Interesting, that summary has been removed.......

LoyalACFan
08-31-2012, 12:22 AM

First the achievements, now this? Tsk tsk. Ubi better watch their leaks.

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:27 AM
This looks like a serious evidence that Lee is not Ratonhnhaké:ton's father but if Haytham guy is, then consider me bored already. This is just Ezio rehash. Another father assassin. Ohh and he's on a quest for revenge...

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
This looks like a serious evidence that Lee is not Ratonhnhaké:ton's father but if Haytham guy is, then consider me bored already. This is just Ezio rehash. Another father assassin. Ohh and he's on a quest for revenge...
And you don't think Lee was boring ? My god..

Or is it just because you were wrong:rolleyes:

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:39 AM
And you don't think Lee was boring ? My god..

Or is it just because you were wrong:rolleyes:Duh? Having a figure like Lee as father is 10 times more interesting than another "ohh my dad is an assassin" story.

And I was always saying that I'm all for being proven wrong but I see you're already celebrating victory, I wouldn't do so yet in your place :rolleyes:

ProletariatPleb
08-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Oompa Loompa WAT?
Father being an assassin makes it an Ezio rehash, oh wow.
Revenge? Where?
Please elaborate.

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Duh? Having a figure like Lee as father is 10 times more interesting than another "ohh my dad is an assassin" story.

And I was always saying that I'm all for being proven wrong but I see you're already celebrating victory, I wouldn't do so yet in your place :rolleyes:
I don't usually celebrate "early" but in your case, I just wanted to shove it:p

And do tell me, How Lee was interesting.... it most likely would`v been "Connor I........ am your father" Crap or "You`re My son, and I hate you"

Ugh... That was Cliche to the Cheese..

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't usually celebrate "early" but in your case, I just wanted to shove it:pOhh I can tell you wanted it badly but the game's not out yet and it may be still me who will 'shove it' in your face so like I said, don't pop the champagne yet :p

And do tell me, How Lee was interesting.... it most likely would`v been "Connor I........ am your father" Crap or "You`re My son, and I hate you"

Ugh... That was Cliche to the Cheese..And having a father assassin is so original :O

tarrero
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
I think, no matter of who is Connor´s father, that it would be cool and a nice change of pace if he was born outside the order.

Dont you think?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:45 AM
I think, no matter of who is Connor´s father, that it would be cool and a nice change of pace if he was born outside the order.
This. We already have Altair, Ezio and Desmond with Assassin fathers. Do we really need 4th one?

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Ohh I can tell you wanted it badly but the game's not out yet and it may be still me who will 'shove it' in your face so like I said, don't pop the champagne yet :p

And having a father assassin is so original :O
Yes... if he`s not out for Revenge... I mean Hell, Altair`s Dad was an Assassin and so was Desmond`s

and uhh i`m more of the in the "now" Kinda guy xD

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
and uhh i`m more of the in the "now" Kinda guy xDurhm, what? :confused:

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
urhm, what? :confused:
Yeah like... how it seems i`m right now

Who i`m shoving it at now.. Meh, but later, you and I will most probably forget we ever had this conversation..;)

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah like... how it seems i`m right now

Who i`m shoving it at now.. Meh, but later, you and I will most probably forget we ever had this conversation..;)Ohh I won't forget if Lee turns out to be the daddy :p Seriously though, I would complain the same if Lee did turn out to be his dad AND id he also turned out to be an assassin.

tarrero
08-31-2012, 12:53 AM
I would enjoy if bureaus make a comeback!!! In "the fall" epilogue, those were present at modern times, so who knows....

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Ohh I won't forget if Lee turns out to be the daddy :p Seriously though, I would complain the same if Lee did turn out to be his dad AND id he also turned out to be an assassin.
I don't think there`ll be as much emphasis on Connor`s dad as there was on Ezio`s...

Wanna bet;)
If you win, i`ll add in my Signature something stupid.... If I win... well..... I`ll tell you later:p

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 12:55 AM
I would enjoy if bureaus make a comeback!!! In "the fall" epilogue, those were present at modern times, so who knows....

I liked the bureaus in AC1! :) I liked the chats Altair was having with everyone there, esp. Malik :D

I don't think there`ll be as much emphasis on Connor`s dad as there was on Ezio`s...

Wanna bet;)
If you win, i`ll add in my Signature something stupid.... If I win... well..... I`ll tell you later:pHow about I will have to 'wear' a signature you give me for 2 weeks if you win, and if I win you will have to wear a sig I give you? :p and before you ask yes, the sig for you will be full of <333 fanboying for Ratonhnhaké:ton :D

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 01:04 AM
I liked the bureaus in AC1! :) I liked the chats Altair was having with everyone there, esp. Malik :D

How about I will have to 'wear' a signature you give me for 2 weeks if you win, and if I win you will have to wear a sig I give you? :p and before you ask yes, the sig for you will be full of <333 fanboying for Ratonhnhaké:ton :D
You are...... ON !!!!

Bet is bloody on;):cool:

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 01:06 AM
You are...... ON !!!!

Bet is bloody on;):cool:
I'm gonna start working on sig for you immediately tehehehe it needs to be ready :o

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm gonna start working on sig for you immediately tehehehe it needs to be ready :o
Starting on yours now;)

Oh this is gonna be Awesome xD

MT4K
08-31-2012, 01:11 AM
http://gyazo.com/74ce4ee71d44a62cb251d71d3b69e260
http://gyazo.com/d063e8ea560ab06bb9d543020bb6ad74

EVIDENCE :D. Good luck you two....

LoyalACFan
08-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Regardless of who the father is, it's obvious that both Lee and Kenway will play a role in his childhood. Personally, I would like it if Lee was the father (because it fits so perfectly with the "lost twin" historical evidence) as long as we knew that from the start and there was no cheesy Darth Vader moment at the end.

tarrero
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM
May the luckiest win lol

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM
http://gyazo.com/74ce4ee71d44a62cb251d71d3b69e260
http://gyazo.com/d063e8ea560ab06bb9d543020bb6ad74

EVIDENCE :D. Good luck you two....
HO HO HO

Christmas is coming early this year.... xD

RatonhnhakeFan
08-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Assassin_M will look so cute with a sig of a teenage fangirl hehehe

Assassin_M
08-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Assassin_M will look so cute with a sig of a teenage fangirl hehehe
Oh I just love Feuds :p

And you`ll absolutely love my Sig;)

Something... simple

masterfenix2009
08-31-2012, 02:36 AM
What happens if you both lose?

kudos17
08-31-2012, 02:46 AM
What happens if you both lose?

Then they wear each other's sigs and have a good laugh about it later.

twenty_glyphs
08-31-2012, 02:52 AM

This is all being handled so strangely. There seems to be some mystery around Connor's father, but instead of communicating that to marketing, they let Connor's last name get revealed. Then they possibly commission a tie-in novel about Connor's dad, but don't allow them to properly advertise the book by releasing an accurate summary. If this mystery was really worth keeping, you'd think they would have communicated that to the appropriate people so these kinds of slip-ups didn't happen.

De Filosoof
08-31-2012, 03:20 AM
This is all being handled so strangely. There seems to be some mystery around Connor's father, but instead of communicating that to marketing, they let Connor's last name get revealed. Then they possibly commission a tie-in novel about Connor's dad, but don't allow them to properly advertise the book by releasing an accurate summary. If this mystery was really worth keeping, you'd think they would have communicated that to the appropriate people so these kinds of slip-ups didn't happen.

Very strange indeed.

SteelCity999
08-31-2012, 04:59 AM

I don't think it was marketing per say because only the Penguin US site had that description up. Probably someone messed up on Penguin's end on this one. As for Connor's last name being released, unless he finds out at the end of the game because he never knew his father and his father had done something incredible it wouldn't be much of a big deal. They'd have to keep his last name a secret the entire story, or keep his father's name out of it. Maybe, his father dies when the village is burned or Lee kills his father, then runs into Connor and that has been the screenshot we see.. Otherwise it's just another Ezio story beginning.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
This is all being handled so strangely. There seems to be some mystery around Connor's father, but instead of communicating that to marketing, they let Connor's last name get revealed. Then they possibly commission a tie-in novel about Connor's dad, but don't allow them to properly advertise the book by releasing an accurate summary. If this mystery was really worth keeping, you'd think they would have communicated that to the appropriate people so these kinds of slip-ups didn't happen.One thing that is also interesting is the difference between what is said about Ratonhnhaké:ton in the context of his character and what is said about Aveline. With Aveline, Ubisoft repeats over and over again how she is a fictional character but based on real women from that era (who were children of white men and black women). With Ratonhnhaké:ton, this was never mentioned, even though it was also a fact that some white men had children with Native women. If Lee is not the father, why not use the example to explain Ratonhnhaké:ton's heritage better? "He's half-British, half-Mohawk, just like Charles Lee's kids! See? We're basing him on historical examples!"

LoyalACFan
09-03-2012, 09:28 PM
One thing that is also interesting is the difference between what is said about Ratonhnhaké:ton in the context of his character and what is said about Aveline. With Aveline, Ubisoft repeats over and over again how she is a fictional character but based on real women from that era (who were children of white men and black women). With Ratonhnhaké:ton, this was never mentioned, even though it was also a fact that some white men had children with Native women. If Lee is not the father, why not use the example to explain Ratonhnhaké:ton's heritage better? "He's half-British, half-Mohawk, just like Charles Lee's kids! See? We're basing him on historical examples!"

I'm pretty sure they were emphasizing the historical context of Aveline's situation to explain why she's in such high standing in New Orleans society. Most people think that back in those days, African people = slaves and second-class citizens. And for the most part, that's true, but plaçage was an unusual exception that most people don't know about, so it would seem odd to most that Aveline, a black woman, was considered a noblewoman. Connor's situation is less unusual. He's half-Mohawk, so he doesn't quite fit in with the other colonists. Which is what anybody with a basic knowledge of the time period would expect.

Besides, it wouldn't do them much good to compare him with Charles Lee's Mohawk kids, since most people have no idea who the hell Charles Lee is. I know I didn't before I started learning about this game.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Besides, it wouldn't do them much good to compare him with Charles Lee's Mohawk kids, since most people have no idea who the hell Charles Lee is. I know I didn't before I started learning about this game.But not in the context of AC promotion, where Charles Lee is, along with Washington & Franklin, promoted as one of the very main characters.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
But not in the context of AC promotion, where Charles Lee is, along with Washington & Franklin, promoted as one of the very main characters.
You just want to content yourself with some hope that Lee is Connor`s father:p

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
You just want to content yourself with some hope that Lee is Connor`s father:p
Yep, I actually do. Not because of the sig you will give me if I lose :p But because yet another main protagonist having an assassin father is unappealing to me. We've done it with Ezio already, including Lineage prequel movie that followed his father. And Desmond. And Altair had an assassin father as well. Compared to another rehash of that, I will gladly take Lee being father, even if it's gonna turn out to be a Vader/Luke rip-off. At least it will be fresh for this franchise.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Yep, I actually do. Not because of the sig you will give me if I lose :p But because yet another main protagonist having an assassin father is unappealing to me. We've done it with Ezio already, including Lineage prequel movie that followed his father. And Desmond. And Altair had an assassin father as well. Compared to another rehash of that, I will gladly take Lee being father, even if it's gonna turn out to be a Vader/Luke rip-off. At least it will be fresh for this franchise.
Oh, man...

You`d rather have a Vader/Luke rather than an Assassin Father ? WoW....I Might not make you that sig.... because I feel too sorry for you:p

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh, man...

You`d rather have a Vader/Luke rather than an Assassin Father ?
You wouldn't? How many times can you go through the same plot device in the same franchise? Yet another assassin father would be just so uninspired... "ohh how are we gonna connect our hero to the order? hmmm... no ideas? K, let's just make his father be an assassin too!" :/

LoyalACFan
09-03-2012, 10:02 PM
You wouldn't? How many times can you go through the same plot device in the same franchise? Yet another assassin father would be just so uninspired... "ohh how are we gonna connect our hero to the order? hmmm... no ideas? K, let's just make his father be an assassin too!" :/

We don't know that Haytham is an Assassin. He could be a Templar for all we know. We just know he was good at killing and joined a secret society to protect his family.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I really cant get your Problem with that xD

We had no talking about Altair`s father whatsoever... Only focus on Assassin fathers was Ezio`s and Desmond`s...

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I really cant get your Problem with that xD

We had no talking about Altair`s father whatsoever... Only focus on Assassin fathers was Ezio`s and Desmond`s...
Only? Desmond & Ezio make up for majority of this franchise, and there will be even more Desmond & Williams in AC3

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Only? Desmond & Ezio make up for majority of this franchise, and there will be even more Desmond & Williams in AC3
I think the Keyword here is "Different" You know ?

Different Portrayals of Assassin Fathers, in AC I we had a father who never acknowledged his son, in AC II we had a very loving father who cared deeply for his sons, in Desmond we probably will have a lot of friction between Desmond And William and In AC III, well...

At least that`s how I see it..

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I think the Keyword here is "Different" You know ?

Different Portrayals of Assassin Fathers, in AC I we had a father who never acknowledged his son, in AC II we had a very loving father who cared deeply for his sons, in Desmond we probably will have a lot of friction between Desmond And William and In AC III, well...

At least that`s how I see it..Sure, they can try to make as many different "assassin father" portrayals as possible. But if the same base plot idea is repeated in one franchise over and over again, then even different takes on the same idea don't help much. If Ratonhnhaké:ton has an assassin father, than the order will start feeling unnecessary "dynastical" with all 4 heroes in the mainline series being sons of assassin fathers and coming from assassin dynsties. I like that Aveline joins on her own, she's just as good material for an assassin as those who were born into the order. No "ooh she's 'predisposition-ed' because being a great assassin runs in her bloodline" underlying feeling. Assassins should come in all different "shapes and colors" from every place possible and for various reasons, all united by one thing - the fight for freedom. Tons of father assassins kind of waters it to down to me.

We don't know that Haytham is an Assassin. He could be a Templar for all we know. We just know he was good at killing and joined a secret society to protect his family.Rather unlikely considering that Ratonhnhaké:ton adopts his last name

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Sure, they can try to make as many different "assassin father" portrayals as possible. But if the same base plot idea is repeated in one franchise over and over again, then even different takes on the same idea don't help much. If Ratonhnhaké:ton has an assassin father, than the order will start feeling unnecessary "dynastical" with all 4 heroes in the mainline series being sons of assassin fathers and coming from assassin dynsties. I like that Aveline joins on her own, she's just as good material for an assassin as those who were born into the order. No "ooh she's 'predisposition-ed' because being a great assassin runs in her bloodline" underlying feeling. Assassins should come in all different "shapes and colors" from every place possible and for various reasons, all united by one thing - the fight for freedom. Tons of father assassins kind of waters it to down to me.

Rather unlikely considering that Ratonhnhaké:ton adopts his last name
I think I spoke about this sometime ago. I wanted an Assassin that has no connection to the order and was a... thief maybe ? Something like that, as the Protagonist for the next game. Where he`ll use the Assassins to further his own agenda but then figures out that this is something bigger than him. its different and allows for some nice Character Development..

I see where you`re coming from, but having Lee as his father would`v ruined it for me, You could call it the better of 2 bad Cliches, in my opinion..

RatonhnhakeFan
09-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I think I spoke about this sometime ago. I wanted an Assassin that has no connection to the order and was a... thief maybe ? Something like that, as the Protagonist for the next game. Where he`ll use the Assassins to further his own agenda but then figures out that this is something bigger than him. its different and allows for some nice Character Development..Nice and fresh idea :)

I see where you`re coming from, but having Lee as his father would`v ruined it for me, You could call it the better of 2 bad Cliches, in my opinion..Perhaps, but I would be actually interested in Lee-cliche since at least it's would be a cliche fresh for this franchise. Anyway, this is a matter of personal preference highly, so let's just agree to disagree ;P

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice and fresh idea :)

Perhaps, but I would be actually interested in Lee-cliche since at least it's would be a cliche fresh for this franchise. Anyway, this is a matter of personal preference highly, so let's just agree to disagree ;P
Sure:p

LoyalACFan
09-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Rather unlikely considering that Ratonhnhaké:ton adopts his last name

Could be that Connor didn't know he was a Templar. Hell, Ezio didn't know his own father was an Assassin until he was 17. Maybe Haytham came to the New World to leave his Templar life behind, and Connor discovers the Assassins on his own.

masterfenix2009
09-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Doesn't bother me. Since most assassins ARE born into the order.

GLHS
09-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I guess I don't get what this debate is about. They've already said multiple times that Connor, instead of being born into the Order, had his village burned down and decides to start fighting for justice. Then discovers the Assassins and adopts their mission. What M said about a hero who isn't part of the Order, becomes part of it and realizes that things are much bigger than himself, is exactly what happens to Connor. Charles Lee is not Connor's father. And everybody's just assuming that there's only 2 way this will go. Either Haytham is Connor's ASSASSIN father, or Charles Lee is his secret father. How about neither? Or Hytham is a Templar, or like somebody else said, an Uncle or something? Just b/c Charles Lee ends up not being Connor's dad, doesn't automatically mean that he will have an Assassin father.

Stroonzje
09-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Wait a minute. No, this can't end like this. There are too many people fighting for Charles Lee to be Connor's father.
So I'll propose a new theory :

Charles Lee secretly raped a mohawk woman. She became pregnant and had a son : Ratonhnhaké:ton. Haytham Kenway came from London, fell in love with this woman, and became Ratonhnhaké:ton's adoptive father.

TA-DAAAAA ! Problem solved. :D
Plausible... but the AC Franchise doesn't cover topics like rape, its apparantly for 'younger audiences'. Then again this game seems to be alot more brutal than the last few

Stroonzje
09-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I also would have preferred Lee to be his father. makes for a much better story than just an assassin father. If you think about it in detail it having Lee as the father could impact greatly. Imagine Washington meeting Connor for the first time, Washington probably wouldn't be to fond of him at first but then he starts to change his mind making for a good sidestory

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 07:34 AM
I also would have preferred Lee to be his father. makes for a much better story than just an assassin father. If you think about it in detail it having Lee as the father could impact greatly. Imagine Washington meeting Connor for the first time, Washington probably wouldn't be to fond of him at first but then he starts to change his mind making for a good sidestory

Even in the unlikely event that Lee is the father, I doubt he's going to be all chummy with Connor. Keep in mind, the game ends the year after Lee died in Philadelphia, and we already know we're going there for a single linear mission. And since the developers have mentioned that they already had some trouble finding famous people who could be targets, I'm absolutely certain we will kill Charles Lee.

projectpat06
10-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Kind of odd that the book has Connor on the front of it then... Anyway, if the game starts in 1753, two years before the birth of Connor, maybe we play as this Haytham guy in London for a bit :cool: Yes please.

:rolleyes: hehe

InfectedNation
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
:rolleyes: hehe

hehehehehehehehe ;)

Felix-Vivo
10-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I like Haytham. I hope he isn't a Templar, and if he is, I hope it to be for understandble reasons....

ApexMandalorian
10-25-2012, 02:12 AM
I like Haytham. I hope he isn't a Templar, and if he is, I hope it to be for understandble reasons....

Haytham is an Assassin. And, way back when Alex said 1) there's a surprise at the beginning of AC3 and 2) he wishes they hadn't revealed Connor's last name, well that's DIRECTLY related to the leaked video that was QUICKLY shut down, although vids are still out there. And let's just say the leaked video is the proof that Haytham is an Assassin AND is Connor's dad.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Haytham is an Assassin. And, way back when Alex said 1) there's a surprise at the beginning of AC3 and 2) he wishes they hadn't revealed Connor's last name, well that's DIRECTLY related to the leaked video that was QUICKLY shut down, although vids are still out there. And let's just say the leaked video is the proof that Haytham is an Assassin AND is Connor's dad.
Did you miss the part where people tried avoiding watching the leaked Video ? I dunno... maybe because they did not want to know the details and the surprise ? Maybe ?

kriegerdesgottes
10-25-2012, 02:15 AM

Yep. Kotaku actually posted it on their site. I'm so happy the stupid Charles Lee thing is over.

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 02:16 AM
I assume Charles Lee is the father because otherwise, they could've picked any other tribe...but no, Charles Lee married into the Mohawk tribe, so it must be relevant to the storyline. In the past, they've heavily advertised the Templar baddies. Robert de Sable popped up in commercials, Rodrigo Borgia was in a short film, and the ACB stry trailer was explicitly abot Cesare.

Why have they not mentioned Templars?
Why have they avoided discussing Charkes Lee?
More importantly, why do they avoid mentioning something has something simple as WHO Connor's father is?

Because Connor's father is a Templar named Charles Lee.

Also, Connor Lee. Charles Lee was famous for his love of canines, often surrounded by half a dozen dogs. What does Connor mean? 'Lover of Wolves'

Its so bloody obvious because they're trying so bloody hard to avoid discussing any of it. Haytham Kenway is a red herring, my friends.

kriegerdesgottes
10-25-2012, 02:20 AM
I assume Charles Lee is the father because otherwise, they could've picked any other tribe...but no, Charles Lee married into the Mohawk tribe, so it must be relevant to the storyline. In the past, they've heavily advertised the Templar baddies. Robert de Sable popped up in commercials, Rodrigo Borgia was in a short film, and the ACB stry trailer was explicitly abot Cesare.

More importantly, why do they avoid mentioning something has something simple as WHO Connor's father is?

Also, Connor Lee. Charles Lee was famous for his love of canines, often surrounded by half a dozen dogs. What does Connor mean? 'Lover of Wolves'

Its so bloody obvious because they're trying so bloody hard to avoid discussing any of it. Haytham Kenway is a red herring, my friends.

No he isn't. And we still don't know who the real villain of the game is. Alex said we will love the villain of the game but refused to elaborate on who it was.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 02:20 AM

Here is my comment on this, without spoiling too much...... Lol (No disrespect intended)

DAFOC
10-25-2012, 02:23 AM

Not to spoil anything for anyone so don't read on. However methinks otherwise. Did you read the names on the list of "allies" that was handed to him. Was a surprise to me. I went "Oh wow he's not an-" "He's a-"

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 02:24 AM
No he isn't. And we still don't know who the real villain of the game is. Alex said we will love the villain of the game but refused to elaborate on who it was.

How is Charles Lee not awesome? :confused:

ApexMandalorian
10-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Did you miss the part where people tried avoiding watching the leaked Video ? I dunno... maybe because they did not want to know the details and the surprise ? Maybe ?

IDK, 1) this thread is kinda necroed (back from the dead, old, etc). 2) kinda thought this whole Charles Lee Connor's dad thing was done. 3) It's really not that special anyway. That's not so surprising. I didn't actually give away the real surprise (and it's NOT that Haytham is Connor's dad or that he's an Assassin). It was already rumored that he was both after official screens were released (like the one where he's talking to someone, which was named AC3SP_HD_Haytham). You could clearly see the Assassin's bracer on his arm. We already knew that there was a character called Haytham Kenway. Doesn't take much to connect Haytham Kenway to Connor Kenway. So I don't see where there are spoilers involved here.

And, if you actually want to know what the surprise ACTUALLY is, then I can PM you. But you probably already know.... maybe. But the fact that the video is proof is why people who want to avoid spoilers SHOULDN'T watch it. But there's no point in starting speculation on something that really isn't hinted at, at all.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 02:27 AM
IDK, 1) this thread is kinda necroed (back from the dead, old, etc). 2) kinda thought this whole Charles Lee Connor's dad thing was done. 3) It's really not that special anyway. That's not so surprising. I didn't actually give away the real surprise (and it's NOT that Haytham is Connor's dad or that he's an Assassin). It was already rumored that he was both after official screens were released (like the one where he's talking to someone, which was named AC3SP_HD_Haytham). You could clearly see the Assassin's bracer on his arm. We already knew that there was a character called Haytham Kenway. Doesn't take much to connect Haytham Kenway to Connor Kenway. So I don't see where there are spoilers involved here.

And, if you actually want to know what the surprise ACTUALLY is, then I can PM you. But you probably already know.... maybe. But the fact that the video is proof is why people who want to avoid spoilers SHOULDN'T watch it. But there's no point in starting speculation on something that really isn't hinted at, at all.
Yeah, yeah you know what ? I`m just gonna back away slowly, because apparently I`m always wrong..and everyone else is a saint.. (Do not reply back with "Eh ?" because its done)

ApexMandalorian
10-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Yep. Kotaku actually posted it on their site. I'm so happy the stupid Charles Lee thing is over.

They did? Either way, for all the Charles Lee believers. DON'T watch the video. It'll break your hearts.

Yeah, yeah you know what ? I`m just gonna back away slowly, because apparently I`m always wrong..and everyone else is a saint.. (Do not reply back with "Eh ?" because its done)

Eh? LOL. I thought you were always right... But, are you saying you think Charles Lee is Connor's dad? We'll discuss again on October 30th. :)

sigh. I just hope you're not angry next week when the game comes out. Because you seem really serious about this Charles Lee thing lol. But I won't spoil it for you, unless you want me to explain WHY Charles Lee isn't the father. IF you want to discuss this further, you are welcome to PM me. And I only say this because you might be disappointed when the game comes out.

projectpat06
10-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Well given that Haytham looks almost identical to Connor, I'll let you decide who the father is. Or shall we acquire the services Maury??? haha And if you look at the symbol at the top of haytham's bracer closest to is elbow, it looks to be the freemason symbol. Just something to think about.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Square_compasses.svg/220px-Square_compasses.svg.png

Spoilers from leaked vid: From what I gathered, I foresee someone's father getting betrayed and killed leading to a son's quest for further vengeance.

ApexMandalorian
10-25-2012, 03:34 AM
http://cs416426.userapi.com/v416426021/2be/wv3B1szj0us.jpg

Well given that Haytham looks almost identical to Connor, I'll let you decide who the father is. Or shall we acquire the services Maury??? haha And if you look at the symbol at the top of haytham's bracer closest to is elbow, it looks to be the freemason symbol. Just something to think about.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Square_compasses.svg/220px-Square_compasses.svg.png

Spoilers from leaked vid: From what I gathered, I foresee someone's father getting betrayed and killed leading to a son's quest for further vengeance.

Aw, now why'd you have to go and post the picture? But, I bet your hidden comment is how Charles Lee gets in the story.... maybe

projectpat06
10-25-2012, 03:53 AM
Sorry it was on another thread. I'll delete it if you can do the same in your response post

kidhero99
10-25-2012, 04:42 AM
From what I gathered, I foresee someone's father getting betrayed and killed leading to a son's quest for further vengeance.

projectpat06
10-25-2012, 05:17 AM
From what I gathered, I foresee someone's father getting betrayed and killed leading to a son's quest for further vengeance.

?????

kidhero99
10-25-2012, 05:26 AM
;[

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 06:27 AM

Seems like a requirement for Assassins. Altair seems to be the only Assassin who's not in it for personal reasons.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Seems like a requirement for Assassins. Altair seems to be the only Assassin who's not in it for personal reasons.
He`s not talking about Connor...

Idiot forgot to put spoilers too..because, well... Its spoilers if he told you (Only smart thing he did..he did not say it out loud)

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 06:45 AM
He`s not talking about Connor...

Idiot forgot to put spoilers too..because, well... Its spoilers if he told you (Only smart thing he did..he did not say it out loud)

What? I am so cconfused! What spoiler? All I said was Altair's the only one not in it for personal reasons.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 06:47 AM
What? I am so cconfused! What spoiler? All I said was Altair's the only one not in it for personal reasons.
Neither is Connor.. That Revenge thing he`s talking about has something to do with that leaked Video..So, No. Connor is not out for Revenge..

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Neither is Connor.. That Revenge thing he`s talking about has something to do with that leaked Video..So, No. Connor is not out for Revenge..

I never said 'revenge', I said 'personal reasons',

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I never said 'revenge', I said 'personal reasons',
Oh.... But... You quoted his Post.. I..... thought you were talking about his Post which included Revenge...Ahhh

projectpat06
10-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Oh.... But... You quoted his Post.. I..... thought you were talking about his Post which included Revenge...Ahhh

the post that was restated word for word from a blacked out, spoiler-tagged statement I made from an assumption after watching the first sequence. And I didn't necessarily mean revenge so to say. More about just seeking justice which really is the polite way of saying, you will get vengeance served upon you.

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Yes, maybe I wasn't specific, but I meant that it seems like every Assassin starts off fighting for personal reasons except Altair. Not necessarilly daddy killing, but Domenico lost his wife, Ezio lost his family, all his proteges seem pretty pissed, and Connor lost his village. Even Desmond's in it because he was kidnapped. Altair just does it because its all he knows.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Yes, maybe I wasn't specific, but I meant that it seems like every Assassin starts off fighting for personal reasons except Altair. Not necessarilly daddy killing, but Domenico lost his wife, Ezio lost his family, all his proteges seem pretty pissed, and Connor lost his village. Even Desmond's in it because he was kidnapped. Altair just does it because its all he knows.
Well, No body chooses to kill from thin air, Obviously..

There has to be a powerful driving force..I`m pretty sure Ezio never thought about killing anyone before his Father and Brothers were killed and neither did Connor..

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, No body chooses to kill from thin air, Obviously..

There has to be a powerful driving force..I`m pretty sure Ezio never thought about killing anyone before his Father and Brothers were killed and neither did Connor..

Glad we're in agreement, then,

kidhero99
10-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Well, his father did die. So there's that

ApexMandalorian
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Is this book about Connor or Haytham?

Eurostar7
10-29-2012, 07:04 PM

I think Altair wanted to better human kind. In AC he was finding things out as he went, he doubted what he was doing every time he killed a target. He very much wanted to understand everything, and in ACR he becomes sort of philosophical which i really liked. A true Assassin Grand Master.

C3G Jester
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Awesome find. I know its late but ive been busy. Anyways awesome find. Must get that book after AC3 is done

im3jia
11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Some AC Wiki members from AUS and NZ have gotten Forsaken, because it was released on the same day as the game.

This is what Harlam1500 said: "So I just got my copy of 'Assassin's CReed Forsaken' and it seems it's all about Haytham Kenway, not Connor. Connor is in there, but if he's the main focus it's going to take a while >.< It may be like the game: first you're Haytham, then you're Connor. I read the first 5 chapters and it's all Haytham. Thoughts?

"It details how Haytham was an Assassin then became a Templar, met Connor's mother and leanred of Connor existing."