PDA

View Full Version : Clothes physics in AC1, AC1, ACB & ACR.

ACfan443
08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
This is just a bit of nit picking. Anyway I don't know if it's been discussed before, but it's bothered me since AC2. When Altair used to run in AC1, the flaps of his robes used to realistically move to the wind and would actually move up and to the side with each stride.

Then I bought AC2, and as soon as Ezio started running with his new robes, it looked really weird to me, I couldn't put my finger on what made him run so awkwardly. At first I thought it was the running animations, but those were the same as Altair's. Then I realised it was the clothes physics.

Two questions: firstly, why was it that Ezio's robes (in AC2, ACB and ACR) were so stiff and stuck to his legs so much?

Secondly, Altair's robes moved naturally in AC1, but why was is that in ACR they moved COMPLETELY different and with awkward Ezio physics?

(watching the AC3 demos, this has obviously been resolved in, but I didn't make this thread to discuss AC3)

SixKeys
08-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Secondly, Altair's robes moved naturally in AC1, but why was is that in ACR they moved COMPLETELY different and with awkward Ezio physics?

Probably because Alta´r in ACR was just a reskinned Ezio. His fighting was exactly the same Ezio's, completely different from AC1. It was probably easier for the programmers than handling two characters with different moves and clothes physics.

ToniTorsi
08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I feel ya.

I always thought an assassin wearing so much stuff, that Ubisoft with each new installment, would emphasize more and experiment more with physics. Especially clothes physics. Realistic physics do increase the immersiveness of being an assassin.

But perhaps, the current console hardware does not allow impressive clothes physics to the point is not that viable Or recommendable investing much time with them, or perhaps this is not a fundamental area which requires investment of time and money on.....yet.

Maybe developers will up a notch when new hardware comes along, and bigger attention to detail becomes a standard. While it would be amazing for Connor's assassin robes to move realistically according to every movement, detail, etc.....it's not a viable thing to focus on at the moment. Still, Ubisoft Montreal does feature a decent amount of decent clothes physics in AC games, there's still a A LOT of room for improvements though.

ACfan443
08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
I feel ya.

I always thought an assassin wearing so much stuff, that Ubisoft with each new installment, would emphasize more and experiment more with physics. Especially clothes physics. Realistic physics do increase the immersiveness of being an assassin.

But perhaps, the current console hardware does not allow impressive clothes physics to the point of not investing much time with them, or perhaps this is not a fundamental area which requires investment of time and money on.....yet.

Maybe developers will up a notch when new hardware comes along, and bigger attention to detail becomes a standard. While it would be amazing for Connor's assassin robes to move realistically according to every movement, detail, etc.....it's not a viable thing to focus on at the moment. Still, Ubisoft Montreal does feature a decent amount of decent clothes physics in AC games, there's still a A LOT of room for improvements though.

Completely agree, especially with the part of being immersive as an assassin. But I do think that Connor's clothes physics are pretty amazing and a drastic improvement from AC2. However I wanna know why AC1 (a game released all the way back in 2007) has better clothes physics than the other the ACs. Perhaps it was the upgrade in engine? But an upgrade should show improvement

Ielgon
08-25-2012, 06:16 PM
I think this is because in AC2 the robes the player would wear for most of the game didn't actually fully cover Ezio's legs so they just turned into flaps they didn't bother giving clothes physics, then in the other AC's they just built on those animations but never bothered to include robe physics back in.

Connor's robes seem to be very dynamic though (it probably has to do with anvil next and there being a pretty big focus on realism and physics in AC3) so they'll probably be even better than in AC1.

kriegerdesgottes
08-25-2012, 06:43 PM
The thing about their wardrobe that bothers me the most is that AC1 is the only AC game where they bothered to give the character a sheath for his sword. Any time Ezio is walking around his sword is just sticking right out of the frog thing that holds it. Altair also has a Frog but there's a sheath attached to it so it doesn't poke his leg all day. Then in Revelations they took his sheath away! and you weren't even able to use his awesome back blade because it just wasn't there anymore.

Ielgon
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
In AC's defense: AC1 had way less weapon models than AC2 and beyond, giving three swords sheaths is less hard work than giving all kinds of swords of different sizes and lengths sheaths. Making a one size fits all frog would be the way to go to atleast still make it look ok without having to put an amazing amount of work into small details the player rarely sees.

ToniTorsi
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I wanted to reiterate on the points being made about ACIII's clothes physics.

It's a brilliant jump from previous AC games indeed. It seems Anvil does provide the tools to take clothes physics to the next level. I just want to make sure we get the game first to make our full analysis of wether the clothes physics transcends well with The other outfits available to the player (such as Colonial Assassin, Naval Captain, etc)....or if they tweaked things little bit around to make sure all the assassin robes/outfits don't respond to details in the same exact way as the others.

Seriously, jump or not, investing on a new engine was a very legitimate smart decision from Ubisoft. Since it can extend the use of certain gameplay features/mechanics until new hardware it released. Kudos to Montreal. :cool:

pacmanate
08-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree, physics for clothes has been weird. AC1 had the best. Also clipping in these games for clothes makes me cry. However this was eliminated in revelations due to the robe being split between the legs and not reaching the floor :D Same with AC3, the robes go around the legs. Physics for AC3 looks okay.

De Filosoof
08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
However this was eliminated in revelations due to the robe being split between the legs and not reaching the floor :D

You have to be kidding right?

Assassin_M
08-25-2012, 10:03 PM
So you did not make this thread to discuss AC3....What then ?

Calvarok
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
AC1 also ran like crap and was very glitchy. So obviously they decided that realistic clothing physics were not worth it with that engine.

ACfan443
08-26-2012, 01:08 AM
So you did not make this thread to discuss AC3....What then ?

Did you not read my questions in the first post? I only wanted to know why the clothes physics went from realistic to unrealistic, and why the flaps of the robes stuck to Ezio's legs so much and didn't move naturally - referring only to AC1, AC2, ACB and ACR. There was no point discussing AC3 since the clothes physics seem fine.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Did you not read my questions in the first post? I only wanted to know why the clothes physics went from realistic to unrealistic, and why the flaps of the robes stuck to Ezio's legs so much and didn't move naturally - referring only to AC1, AC2, ACB and ACR. There was no point discussing AC3 since the clothes physics seem fine.
Ohhhhhh

Would you be so surprised if I said.. No one probably knows ? or even better... Why do you care ? For the first time.. not trying to be a ******.. just curious really..

Err wait... The clothes did move normally in all AC games... if it didn't... you wouldn't find so many complaining about "Clipping"

morpheusPrime08
08-26-2012, 01:22 AM
How close were you to the TV...

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt226/ko8867/06-19-09_1651.jpg

ACfan443
08-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Ohhhhhh

Would you be so surprised if I said.. No one probably knows ? or even better... Why do you care ? For the first time.. not trying to be a ******.. just curious really..

Err wait... The clothes did move normally in all AC games... if it didn't... you wouldn't find so many complaining about "Clipping"

No, AC2 onwards they didn't move realistically, they were very stiff and with each stride the flaps barely moved, this is most notable when playing as Altair in ACR, compare it to AC1 when he's running, it looks utterly strange,like someone had soaked his robes in PVA glue and left them to dry.

ACfan443
08-26-2012, 01:43 AM
How close were you to the TV...

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt226/ko8867/06-19-09_1651.jpg

I do recall being much further away than that :P anyway I did say this was gonna be a nit picking thread.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 01:43 AM
No, AC2 onwards they didn't move realistically, they were very stiff and with each stride the flaps barely moved, this is most notable when playing as Altair in ACR, compare it to AC1 when he's running, it looks utterly strange,like someone had soaked his robes in PVA glue and left them to dry.
Oh yeah.. i didn't play any game after AC I..

Mate, i`v played every game and I don't know what you`re talking about..

ACfan443
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah.. i didn't play any game after AC I..

Mate, i`v played every game and I don't know what you`re talking about..

Okay, watch him running in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFp6IEPghOs

Then watch him running in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCXsbyiPg8

Apart from that there's also a lot more clipping.

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
You have to be kidding right?
I mean whilst running.

deskp
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I think in AC1 each flap was individual, while in ACR all the flaps were part of a invisible skirt made of one piece.