PDA

View Full Version : Great problems of a great sim...

Plebanos
05-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi all.
to begin with i have to tell you that i firmly believe that AEP is the BEST combat flight simulator ever been created. i have been playing with this game since it came out and have had a wonderful time playing it.
yet i have to say that some things since the very beginning have pretty much been off base in this game.
i have flown more than 250 hours in motor planes, i have a CPL rating, and tasted gliding for about 100 hours as well. so i think i know the feeling kind of well. huh, what are my biggest concerns?
1. the malfunction of rudder - a real life aeroplane never swings the way planes swing in this game. if you push left and right rudder one after the other, planes ingame start swaying to the side and seem to have to zero yaw damping. somehow all movements connected with rudder are a bit weird in this sim.
2. low speed behaviour - since i dont fly fast aeroplanes i dont know much about the high speed regime but know a lot more about the other end of the spectrum. it is impossible to "lift" with planes in IL2,FB,AEP, ie. to stall without one of the wings going down. it is possible with every planes in real life, but you just cannot do it in the sim. if in a real plane you slowly pull the stick to its back position the plane starts going down but you can balance it with using adequate rudder and ailerons. it never works in the game. here, if you pull the stick full backward, plane stalls and one wing always drops....
3. question of acceleration and deceleration - it still seems that all planes in this game have problem with their weight and gravity hardly affects them. if you spin a real plane and stop the spin, you are in a steep dive. in 2 seconds the plane speeds up to a very high speed and you must be really careful not to reach Va speed.
if you cut the throttle in real life the IAS needle goes back like hell. here you can climb almost endlessly with throttle off, compared to real life situations. next time i fly i will measure the time it takes for a light aircraft to accelerate from 40 kts to 120 kts, i wonder how much it will be.
4. i have meet several WWII pilots and read accounts of ME109 planes diving at 1000 km/h without any structural failure in the planes. i ask you when you can do it in the game?
5. if real planes had been so prone to stay in a normal steep spin as long as planes in the game, they would nat have left the assembly line. you should be able to stop normal spins a lot faster and more effectively than you are in the game.

other small but irrtating problems:
muzzleflash, the enigma of the kommandoger√¬§t (why do planes performance degrades when using it, why do they fly like a dream when using manual pitch seting?).

so, these are my thoughts. you can criticise tham, but i still feel that these are real and present problems in the game....

thanks for reading

Plébános

Plebanos
05-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi all.
to begin with i have to tell you that i firmly believe that AEP is the BEST combat flight simulator ever been created. i have been playing with this game since it came out and have had a wonderful time playing it.
yet i have to say that some things since the very beginning have pretty much been off base in this game.
i have flown more than 250 hours in motor planes, i have a CPL rating, and tasted gliding for about 100 hours as well. so i think i know the feeling kind of well. huh, what are my biggest concerns?
1. the malfunction of rudder - a real life aeroplane never swings the way planes swing in this game. if you push left and right rudder one after the other, planes ingame start swaying to the side and seem to have to zero yaw damping. somehow all movements connected with rudder are a bit weird in this sim.
2. low speed behaviour - since i dont fly fast aeroplanes i dont know much about the high speed regime but know a lot more about the other end of the spectrum. it is impossible to "lift" with planes in IL2,FB,AEP, ie. to stall without one of the wings going down. it is possible with every planes in real life, but you just cannot do it in the sim. if in a real plane you slowly pull the stick to its back position the plane starts going down but you can balance it with using adequate rudder and ailerons. it never works in the game. here, if you pull the stick full backward, plane stalls and one wing always drops....
3. question of acceleration and deceleration - it still seems that all planes in this game have problem with their weight and gravity hardly affects them. if you spin a real plane and stop the spin, you are in a steep dive. in 2 seconds the plane speeds up to a very high speed and you must be really careful not to reach Va speed.
if you cut the throttle in real life the IAS needle goes back like hell. here you can climb almost endlessly with throttle off, compared to real life situations. next time i fly i will measure the time it takes for a light aircraft to accelerate from 40 kts to 120 kts, i wonder how much it will be.
4. i have meet several WWII pilots and read accounts of ME109 planes diving at 1000 km/h without any structural failure in the planes. i ask you when you can do it in the game?
5. if real planes had been so prone to stay in a normal steep spin as long as planes in the game, they would nat have left the assembly line. you should be able to stop normal spins a lot faster and more effectively than you are in the game.

muzzleflash, the enigma of the kommandoger√¬§t (why do planes performance degrades when using it, why do they fly like a dream when using manual pitch seting?).

so, these are my thoughts. you can criticise tham, but i still feel that these are real and present problems in the game....

thanks for reading

Plébános

starfighter1
05-20-2004, 01:20 AM
hi Plebanos:
You forgot one of the main problem in every PC-combatsim and even
in IL-2/FB/AEP: the virtual pilots view in cockpit and in combat action/view.
(next the sound near to real things-/but that's another story)
the camera view in the running game is far away from a 'good compromise' to a PC-Sim in this case. I call it the 'gnomish view bug'.

I'm sure there are better and more advanced opportunities to create/design a better forward view near to the height of pilots view in WW-II warbirds.
This behind the background of an 'old' running camera view system/game engine of first release of IL-2.
I guess there was time enough to fix these old wrong design views by the developer(ex. FW-190 + some more planes)including this stupid muzzle flashes.
Conclusion: more planes, more addons including some few fixes jumping from patch to patch.

no state of the art pc-sim, but more a compromise in marketing and promotion to the market of 'Jonny and Igor Joystick' siming on higher arcarde level.

my two cents to this in general...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plebanos:
Hi all.

thanks for reading

Plébános<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.eichhorn.ws/assets/images/thunderbird.gif

Flash_ram
05-20-2004, 03:45 AM
I would sugest Oleg stop adding plaine after plaine and start to fix the game about FM and other problems that are mentioned here... more airplaines is just complicate the game structure and because of them many bugs apear (damage, etc)...
I know its very exited when you hear about new plaiens that can be flyable, but we want a true sim or a arcade ?

Plebanos
05-20-2004, 05:19 AM
yes you are right. now we have enough planes. it is about to time to get them fixed, and try to correct these rather big mnistakes in the FMs.
i would be very suprised though if it happened this way http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif(

Aaron_GT
05-20-2004, 05:43 AM
" it is impossible to "lift" with planes in IL2,FB,AEP, ie. to stall without one of the wings going down."

It isn't totally impossible - every now and
then I get a loss of lift (rapid descent) without either wing dipping. It's not easy to get into, but it can happen. With most of the planes being single engined with powerful engines for the size of plane it might be that a compromise of a strong tendency to drop a wing (as noted for many WW2 planes) was scripted to make the computational complexity at stall a bit less. You can sometimes not trigger this effect, but I've probably onlt experienced it less than half a dozen times.

Aeronautico
05-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Good points, especially #1, #3 and the "small but irrtating" ones... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What else? Errr... nothing, that's it!

A.

--------------------
Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot

WWMaxGunz
05-20-2004, 07:43 AM
109's in 1000kph dives and no problem?

Yes I am sure that 109's had absolutely accurate airspeed indicators! Works for you? Not me!

1000kph was the speed the 163 was trying to break on powered level flight wasn't it? And what happened to that? But a 109 OTOH does not lose control and suddenly nose down with no choice! They just should have made rocket powered 109's instead!

Whooo-hoooo.

Neal

GR142-Pipper
05-20-2004, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plebanos:
(...snip....)if you cut the throttle in real life the IAS needle goes back like hell. here you can climb almost endlessly with throttle off, compared to real life situations. next time i fly i will measure the time it takes for a light aircraft to accelerate from 40 kts to 120 kts, i wonder how much it will be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The problem you cite regarding throttle cutting is true for just about all aircraft EXCEPT the 109. I've made several posts regarding the failure of POWER to be withdrawn from other aircraft when the throttle is chopped (to wit: Yak/LA/P-51/others). Again, this is another example of a programming decision to (IMHO) homogonize the flight characteristics of the different aircraft through artificial means (programming). I do have a fair amount of time in high performance aircraft and NONE of them retain their energy after a throttle chop (excepting a few jets that do this to prevent high speed compressor stall with mach limiters) and ALL of them markedly decelerate IMMEDIATELY.

GR142-Pipper

LIDZ
05-20-2004, 01:00 PM
the prop should act like a huge speed brake when the throttle is off.

Luftcaca
05-20-2004, 02:12 PM
well look at this...the MG's and canons sounds on the Ki-84 are still bogus...

and can someone explain to me why the new planes arent available for single player campaigns????

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/luftcaca.jpg

Formerly ''known'' as Gunther Aeroburst

SeaFireLIV
05-20-2004, 02:19 PM
The omission of the new aircraft in the offline Campaigns is a disappointment. I must agree. I don`t know why this is. Perhaps Starshoy will release his AEP/FB patch to fix this?

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/Hardcore.jpg

It`s HARDCORE out there!

filiperafaeli
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
sorry bad english:

1. the malfunction of rudder:
I dont see big errors on the rudder of the game. You can only stall in the game without one of the wings go down. Like real airplanes.

And in real airplanes one of the wings go down yes if you dont use rudder to equilibrate. Not wrong.

All correct compared with real planes.

The only error in this thing is that in real airplanes, after airplane stalled you can choose what side you will make your spin. And here, it is random.

2. low speed behaviour:

I think that you are speaking about a kind of competition spin.
Flying leveled, stall the plane and make a spin, and stop.

In real airplanes i made a lot of spins with the Super Decathlon and with the PA-18. Yes. Wehn the airplane stops after 360‚¬ļ the airplane is stip, at 90‚¬ļ with the ground. But the Super Decathlon and the Pa-18 is a airplane with big wings, big drag and with low height. And the airplanes of the game have 2000, 3000 kilos.
Look a spin in the Christen Eagle, or Extra 300, or Sukhoi 31, etc. They dont stop so steep too. Because they have less wing.

Ahh, and in the Decathon stalls with 50mph and the Decathon stalls with 40mph. Lower than the warbirds.

I never flew a 109g, dont know if the stall is reall, but i belive that need to be a little more stip yes, but not like light airplanes that we fly.

Luftcaca
05-20-2004, 04:09 PM
heh seafire have I hallucinated or what but it seems that the AI is less raging now?!?!?!?

I was flying IAR 80 in my romanian campaign, we were attacking Il2's
I was pursuing No1 and 2 of the Il2 formation, no3 was already downed and no4 was a few km's away for some reason.
Almost all of my squadron was just behind me, lets say 500m, ready to shoot down the Il2's (and me too since I was in between)
I started firing at both the IL2's like crazy for a lil while, then I looked back surprised that my men still havent begun to fire at the same targets.....to see em faaaaaaar away trying to down the no4!!!!

is it possible to the targeting mode of the AI has been ameliorated???!!?!??!

if so, GOOD JOB!!!!

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/luftcaca.jpg

Formerly ''known'' as Gunther Aeroburst

SeaFireLIV
05-20-2004, 04:37 PM
To be honest I`ve not had a chance to really test much offline, but will do.