PDA

View Full Version : Development Update (18.06.04)



Thunak
06-18-2004, 07:54 AM
This week's development update has been added to the site.
<div align="center"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5">
<tr>
<td>http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/180604/grab0000_s.jpg (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)</td>
<td>http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/180604/grab0009_s.jpg (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)</td>
</tr>
</table></div>


The update is available now by clicking here (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)

T

Thunak
06-18-2004, 07:54 AM
This week's development update has been added to the site.
<div align="center"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5">
<tr>
<td>http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/180604/grab0000_s.jpg (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)</td>
<td>http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/180604/grab0009_s.jpg (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)</td>
</tr>
</table></div>


The update is available now by clicking here (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php)

T

KGr.HH-Sunburst
06-18-2004, 08:05 AM
uhm sorry but they dont show all i get are those nice red crosses http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

and the link still shows the old Dev updates

EDIT: they work now ,thanks thunak http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/fightingpumas/
http://img31.photobucket.com/albums/v94/sunburst/SUNSIGD9.jpg
''All your Mustangs are belong to us''

[This message was edited by Sunburst-97th on Fri June 18 2004 at 07:19 AM.]

Falcon_41
06-18-2004, 08:05 AM
wrong link??

http://hometown.aol.com/ifalkon/myhomepage/fis_banner_09%20newstyle.gif

McCallaway
06-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Works for me. PF !!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charos
06-18-2004, 08:24 AM
"Implemented pitching and rolling carrier decks..."


http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

JarheadEd
06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
links me to last weeks, And I wanted to look at that Rufe!,


EDIT: Working now,...WOOT!

P-DEX
06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Man, that B-29 is one big mamma-jamma!

And the B-25J model with the tons-o-guns in the solid nose...Bismarck Sea anyone?

Zayets
06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Wow!Rocking decks! That is awsum!

Zayets out

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Zayets-sigIAR.jpg

nearmiss
06-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Why can't someone tell us more about the planned aircraft, objects, and maps? You pretty well know already what will be in PF for sure. Not asking for things that may or may not be in it.

I'm asking for a list, not pics at this point.

Afterall, at some point we'll be asked to buy it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif

----------------------

http://avsims.com/portal/modules/liens/images/banner.gif (http://avsims.com/portal/)

Eagle_361st
06-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt! B-29 looks awesome. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~S!
Eagle
Commanding Officer 361st vFG
www.361stvfg.com (http://www.361stvfg.com)
http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1079.jpg

Werre_Fsck
06-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Is it just me or does the B29 look a work-in-progress? It has this .. well, simplified look to it, compared to the excellent B17 model in B17.
Great to have it but I hope it will look better in final.

Capt._Tenneal
06-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Now see, look what you have done to me http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. That shot of the B-29 is pushing me to the camp of those who want to see compatibility between Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters. I'd like to see a B-29 strike over Berlin now .

WOLFMondo
06-18-2004, 10:13 AM
wow! Folding wings, open canopies, rolling and pitching of the the carrier deck. I can't wait.

I really hope this is compatible with FB though.

They should really state this now so I can the crying out of the way and start looking forward to ithttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://bill.nickdafish.com/sig/mondo.jpg
Wolfgaming.net. Where the Gameplay is teamplay (http://www.wolfgaming.net)

PF_Coastie
06-18-2004, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Werre_Fsck:
Is it just me or does the B29 look a work-in-progress? It has this .. well, simplified look to it, compared to the excellent B17 model in B17.
Great to have it but I hope it will look better in final.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes it is. Thats why it is preceeded by WIP on all the pics of it!

I do wish they would take the screenshots with something besides a GeforceMX card so they can put some AA and aniso on.

Disclaimer: Insert any budget card to above comment. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PF_Coastie

Coasties Place (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/)

CATALYST 4.2 OGL (http://home.earthlink.net/~bmcoastie/atioglxx.zip)

Coasties FB and ATI settings (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/IL2setup.html)
http://home.earthlink.net/~bmcoastie/images/FS_SIG.jpg
Click here to find out more about FIGHTER SWEEPS 2 (http://663blacktigers.net/FS2index.html)


OFFICIAL ATI BETA TESTER

VVS-Manuc
06-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Ooops..someone has stolen the central float

http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/180604/grab0021.jpg

VVS-Manuc
06-18-2004, 12:07 PM
and again...big arcadish muzzle flashes http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

Danschnell
06-18-2004, 12:16 PM
OMG
I just had to post a comment about this BRILLIANT development update.
That B-29 is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen which isn't female and human.
It looks lovely and powerful, glinting in the sunlight.
All we can hope for now is that when we shoot at it that it can soak up 100's of 20mm rounds without going down!

Baltar
06-18-2004, 12:39 PM
I am getting a funny feeling down below. It makes me touch myself.

adadaead
06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Wow that is awesome, i'm personalyy kinda of sick flying over land, i can't wait to fly over that beatiful water and and do ground attacks on those small little iland.

Well i'm not realy sick just flying over water for a long time and those little iland is kinda the next generation of Il-2. And don't make list of what is gonna be in the game, i wanna be suprised. Thank you you just made my day. I can't wait till Fall. Stop teasing us with those pictures PLEASE.

Ot vinta http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

DINGHAO
06-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Any word on WHEN to expect Pacific or BOB?

Just wondering.

http://users.rcn.com/chao.enteract/dinghaosig.jpg

Charlie901
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Holy "JAGGIES" Batman!

Those screens would look so much better with some AA applied.

IIJG11_Spreckels
06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nearmiss:
Why can't someone tell us more about the planned aircraft, objects, and maps? You pretty well know already what will be in PF for sure. Not asking for things that may or may not be in it.

I'm asking for a list, not pics at this point.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Want a little bread and cheese with the whine ?

vanelvis
06-18-2004, 02:46 PM
pitching and rolling carrier decks good news

FRAGAL
06-18-2004, 02:56 PM
OOOOH i had an accident over my monitor :P i hope the b-29 turrets are as deadly as they were in real life, i want a decent challenge attacking bombers 25's are ok b17's are pathetic

Heinz_Knokke
06-18-2004, 04:10 PM
quote:
"Is it just me or does the B29 look a work-in-progress? It has this .. well, simplified look to it..."

I hope they keep working like they're doing, giving us a flightsim and not a tool for doing screenshots. It looks a lot more professional than the BoB addon which look more like a modelling demo rather than an online flight simulator. We can expect great playability and fluidity, which is all I ask for a game that I want to play online, and not just use to take screenshots.
Wonderfull job, PF team. This sim is going to rock, with a lot of new options and new planes (like the option of flying float planes and doing carrier take off and landing)
Keep up the good work.

Aeronautico
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
WTF (can I type that) are you talking about Heinz?!

Have you played with BoB already?
Lucky you then!

A!

--------------------
Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot

VVS-Manuc
06-18-2004, 05:01 PM
I can hear the US-whiners already, when the B-29 are shot down by Ki-84....guess which plane is "tweaked" then in a patch?

Athosd
06-18-2004, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz_Knokke:
quote:
"Is it just me or does the B29 look a work-in-progress? It has this .. well, simplified look to it..."

I hope they keep working like they're doing, giving us a flightsim and not a tool for doing screenshots. It looks a lot more professional than the BoB addon which look more like a modelling demo rather than an online flight simulator. We can expect great playability and fluidity, which is all I ask for a game that I want to play online, and not just use to take screenshots.
Wonderfull job, PF team. This sim is going to rock, with a lot of new options and new planes (like the option of flying float planes and doing carrier take off and landing)
Keep up the good work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem a little confused regards BoB. Its not an add-on but a next generation stand alone product; no in-flight screen shots have been shown for it, only work in progress for some of the 3D models.

PF looks to be coming along very nicely - love that B-29 (wip)

Athos

Over the Hills and O'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
The Queen commands and we'll obey
Over the Hills and far away.

Wallstein
06-19-2004, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DINGHAO:
Any word on WHEN to expect Pacific or BOB?

Just wondering.

http://users.rcn.com/chao.enteract/dinghaosig.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I remember right, The estimated release time for the Pacific will be next autumn, while that of the BoB will be in late 2005.

Wallstein
06-19-2004, 04:05 AM
I am impressed, very impressed indeed. It is a pleasure to watch your team´s creative work, and then finally, get it and play!

Have a nice summer and let´s keep flying and shooting around!!!

Heinz_Knokke
06-19-2004, 05:32 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You seem a little confused regards BoB. Its not an add-on but a next generation stand alone product; no in-flight screen shots have been shown for it, only work in progress for some of the 3D models."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just have a look at the 3D models on the BoB screenshots. There is no need to see ingame screens to see that the poly count is way too high. Even in 3D pre-calculated stuff there is most of the time less polys (unless the shot is a close-up). Here, we are speaking of real-time 3D, not precalculated stuff. Already, the poly count is over the limit for many planes in FB (so we can forget about playable missions online with several hundred bombers and a normal concentration of flack). At the moment, ten planes and just a few A/A gun, and the sim comes to its knees online.
So I don't see what's the point of having high poly count 3D models with even the cables of the trim tab modelled as 6 sided cylinders when the only look you'll have of an ennemy airplane in the air is a fleeting vision at several hundred yards most of the time.
Of course, one can oppose me that there is multi-resolution, and that the high poly count model will be displayed only at shorter range. But there must already be too much in the game (not only poly, but most of all, particles, or multi-resolution is not efficient enough) as there is a lot of lag, pauses and stutter in online games.
Adding more polys to the models is only eye-candy and will add nothing to the playability of the game.

As to the poly count, PF team is doing a better job here. The planes are realistic enough and have a poly count low enough to allow for more planes in the air at the same time allowing a greater fluidity in the game.
High poly count models in online games looks more like gifted amateur work. Low poly count models in online games balancing correctly visual look and playability is a more professionnal approach.

Oilburner_TAW
06-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Please, Please tell me the B29 will be flyable? Let it be the TB-3 of PF!!

Willey
06-20-2004, 05:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz_Knokke:
It looks a lot more professional than the BoB addon which look more like a modelling demo rather than an online flight simulator. We can expect great playability and fluidity, which is all I ask for a game that I want to play online, and not just use to take screenshots.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BoB will arrive sometime next year. It's still in such an early development stage that you can't see ingame screens. And it's definately NOT an addon http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif, it's a whole new game from scratch.

Willey
06-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Of course the BoB models are high poly... Oleg once said these words: "Be prepared to upgrade your PCs"

And by the time it comes out, we'll be watching the price tags of the next but one graphics card generation. The X800 will be old stuff then - and maybe the minimum card. But I rather think 9700/9800 series will be the minimum cards.

BTW: Did you all see "Quake 3 Raytraced" already? ( http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~sidapohl/egoshooter/ ) This technique renders authentic light effects including reflections and refractions with very little performance drop http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif - that would be a rocker in BoB, finally correct cockpit views with refracting (armor) glass http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

Athosd
06-20-2004, 06:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz_Knokke:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You seem a little confused regards BoB. Its not an add-on but a next generation stand alone product; no in-flight screen shots have been shown for it, only work in progress for some of the 3D models."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just have a look at the 3D models on the BoB screenshots. There is no need to see ingame screens to see that the poly count is way too high. Even in 3D pre-calculated stuff there is most of the time less polys (unless the shot is a close-up). Here, we are speaking of real-time 3D, not precalculated stuff. Already, the poly count is over the limit for many planes in FB (so we can forget about playable missions online with several hundred bombers and a normal concentration of flack). At the moment, ten planes and just a few A/A gun, and the sim comes to its knees online.
So I don't see what's the point of having high poly count 3D models with even the cables of the trim tab modelled as 6 sided cylinders when the only look you'll have of an ennemy airplane in the air is a fleeting vision at several hundred yards most of the time.
Of course, one can oppose me that there is multi-resolution, and that the high poly count model will be displayed only at shorter range. But there must already be too much in the game (not only poly, but most of all, particles, or multi-resolution is not efficient enough) as there is a lot of lag, pauses and stutter in online games.
Adding more polys to the models is only eye-candy and will add nothing to the playability of the game.

As to the poly count, PF team is doing a better job here. The planes are realistic enough and have a poly count low enough to allow for more planes in the air at the same time allowing a greater fluidity in the game.
High poly count models in online games looks more like gifted amateur work. Low poly count models in online games balancing correctly visual look and playability is a more professionnal approach.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't agree with that - BoB is still in early development and will not make an appearance for 18 months or more. IL2 would hardly have been considered ground breaking if the standard for the graphics was based on systems available in 1999.
PF is a different matter as it is intended to be used with current technology.

Athos

Over the Hills and O'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
The Queen commands and we'll obey
Over the Hills and far away.

Heavy_Weather
06-20-2004, 01:17 PM
http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

Heinz_Knokke
06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
quote:BTW: Did you all see "Quake 3 Raytraced" already? ( http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~sidapohl/egoshooter/ ) This technique renders authentic light effects including reflections and refractions with very little performance drop
------------------------------------------------------

Dont make any confusion on light effects, and poly count. This is two different things.
And its not tommorrow or even next year that you'll see real time ray-trace in a game.
Also, the pictures shown on the site linked above are very unimpressive: using render-map, you'll achieve at least the same result (except for refractions) without the need of the latest hardware.

ploughman
06-22-2004, 05:07 AM
The B-29 looks great, the final product will be fabulous. Pleased to see a flyable float plane too, hopefully there'll be a couple of those, maybe even a heavy like the Emily. One of the shots of the Rufe seems to be missing the centreline float, has it been shot off or something? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif Any news on a projected release date yet?

Jieitai_Tsunami
06-22-2004, 05:39 PM
woohoo A6m2 N Zero!!!!. Folding wing normal Zero and opening canopies. Just like I asked for http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Thanks for all your hard work guys on the dev team. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.jieitai.bravehost.com/http://www.jieitai.bravehost.com/Images/Main%20logo.jpg

Charlie901
06-23-2004, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz_Knokke:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You seem a little confused regards BoB. Its not an add-on but a next generation stand alone product; no in-flight screen shots have been shown for it, only work in progress for some of the 3D models."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just have a look at the 3D models on the BoB screenshots. There is no need to see ingame screens to see that the poly count is way too high. Even in 3D pre-calculated stuff there is most of the time less polys (unless the shot is a close-up). Here, we are speaking of real-time 3D, not precalculated stuff. Already, the poly count is over the limit for many planes in FB (so we can forget about playable missions online with several hundred bombers and a normal concentration of flack). At the moment, ten planes and just a few A/A gun, and the sim comes to its knees online.
So I don't see what's the point of having high poly count 3D models with even the cables of the trim tab modelled as 6 sided cylinders when the only look you'll have of an ennemy airplane in the air is a fleeting vision at several hundred yards most of the time.
Of course, one can oppose me that there is multi-resolution, and that the high poly count model will be displayed only at shorter range. But there must already be too much in the game (not only poly, but most of all, particles, or multi-resolution is not efficient enough) as there is a lot of lag, pauses and stutter in online games.
Adding more polys to the models is only eye-candy and will add nothing to the playability of the game.

As to the poly count, PF team is doing a better job here. The planes are realistic enough and have a poly count low enough to allow for more planes in the air at the same time allowing a greater fluidity in the game.
High poly count models in online games looks more like gifted amateur work. Low poly count models in online games balancing correctly visual look and playability is a more professionnal approach.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>



Amen Brother!

Let's spend the extra processing power, we know we are all gonna need for BOB, on higher fidelity flight models, with better stall characteristics and the ability to have a hundred A/C in the air at one time.

Let's have this anyday over eyecandy! Although we all know that eyecandy sells games these days. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

At least my one flyable A/C will look good flying around solo w/o any stutters in BOB on my P4 3.06 system. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Athosd
06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:
Amen Brother!

Let's spend the extra processing power, we know we are all gonna need for BOB, on higher fidelity flight models, with better stall characteristics and the ability to have a hundred A/C in the air at one time.

Let's have this anyday over eyecandy! Although we all know that eyecandy sells games these days. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

At least my one flyable A/C will look good flying around solo w/o any stutters in BOB on my P4 3.06 system. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure BoB will have higher fidelity flight models as its focus - supported by state of the art graphics.
Just as with IL2 and FB you will be able to scale down the graphical detail to match your system without degrading the core sim elements.

BoB is most likely intended to be the starting point of a sim series that will still be in the market in 2008-2009.
If it uses today's graphics engine it will not be marketable by then.

Most who purchased the original IL2 couldn't run full graphical settings until they significantly upgraded their PCs. However they still enjoyed the sim - and were keen to keep playing it with newer hardware that could show off the shiny stuff.

IMHO Maddox should push the bar as high as he can.

Athos

Over the Hills and O'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
The Queen commands and we'll obey
Over the Hills and far away.