PDA

View Full Version : Ship damage modeling

DiveBrake
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Has anyone ever sunk anything bigger than a cargo ship or oil tanker? I led a mass attack against the Coral Sea QB carrier group, put 6 torpedos into Illustrious port side, and 1 into stbd, and she did not sink!

Tully__
08-09-2012, 12:35 AM
I've sunk just about everything in the game at some point.
In either the latest version or some of the mod packs the damage animation has changed considerably though. Ships, especially the big ones, no longer sink in less than 30 seconds. Some of them take 15 minutes or more to go down (still short of real life times but better) and in the early stages it looks like they've taken little or no damage. Also, those that require several hits will go down quicker if all the hits are in the same part of the hull. Spreading your torps over the whole hull will mean more torps needed for a quick sinking.

TheCrux
08-09-2012, 06:02 AM
those that require several hits will go down quicker if all the hits are in the same part of the hull. Spreading your torps over the whole hull will mean more torps needed for a quick sinking.

Quite right, and very important. Also note the stern tends to be the weakest area and it's best to concentrate on that first, but if elsewhere has already been damaged, then hit the same area.

Another point: The newer damage model may give one "ship damaged" credits for very near hits but this can cut both ways: Crash land too hard on a carrier and you get penalized for damaging your own ship. I've seen some who can get an RTB credit for landing on the water next to their carrier instead of on their carrier, and I have had to due to excessively damaged controls, and while this works you need to keep in mind that you need to be close enough to the carrier for a landing credit, yet far enough away to not trigger the same effect of a near-miss bomb. It happens.

DiveBrake
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks, Tully and Crux, that makes sense.