PDA

View Full Version : Lorne Balfe on Ubisoft approaching him to score for Assassin's Creed

ACfan443
08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
This was an interview back from January I think, so I assume some of you have already seen it. It's basically Balfe talking about different games he's worked on. What I found interesting was that he says Ubisoft approached him to do ACR because they wanted a more dramatic or cinematic feel to the game (this was after he had scored for the ACB cinematic trailer). Because he's been chosen to do the entire score for AC3, does this mean that Ubisoft want the entire game to feel more dramatic? I prefer something more subtle but impactful like AC1 and AC2.

He starts talking about it at 5:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTHNCkcCqo

Slayer_WTF
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Can anyone give me a summary of what he says? I'm not very versed with spoken English. :(

TheHumanTowel
08-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't see how Jesper couldn't have done something more cinematic. "Ezio's family" is pretty dramatic and grand. Still I don't dislike Balfe's work on Revelations so i'm not up in arms. Just confused as to Ubisoft's reasoning behind not using Jesper.

ACfan443
08-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Can anyone give me a summary of what he says? I'm not very versed with spoken English. :(

There's a lot he says, I've summarised some of it at the top, he also mentions that when working on ACR, him and Jesper never actually spoke or met with each other and worked independently, he also said that he doesn't listen to soundtracks from previous games so it doesn't influence him when writing a new theme.

De Filosoof
08-06-2012, 08:05 PM
There's a lot he says, I've summarised some of it at the top, he also mentions that when working on ACR, him and Jesper never actually spoke or met with each other and worked independently, he also said that he doesn't listen to soundtracks from previous games so it doesn't influence him when writing a new theme.

Wow, this is a really bad thing. WTF!
He should even play the previous games before making the music for it.
I don't understand.

LoyalACFan
08-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow, this is a really bad thing. WTF!
He should even play the previous games before making the music for it.
I don't understand.

BTW. "assassin's creed: revelations more story driven than the other games" ?!
No way. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. How can he even know when he didn't hear the soundtracks from previous games. Aren't they IN the game?

I have a feeling dramatic and story driven automatically means over the top to this guy.

Well, now, let's not jump to conclusions. He did a fine job with ACR, and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. The "ACR-was-the-most-story-driven" comment kind of threw me, too, but we're not asking him to write scripts, just soundtracks. As long as he turns out work as quality as the cutscene music for ACR, we should be fine. After all, Hans Zimmer sees something in him. That should be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

notafanboy
08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, now, let's not jump to conclusions. He did a fine job with ACR, and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. The "ACR-was-the-most-story-driven" comment kind of threw me, too, but we're not asking him to write scripts, just soundtracks. As long as he turns out work as quality as the cutscene music for ACR, we should be fine. After all, Hans Zimmer sees something in him. That should be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hans zimmer sucks compared to Jesper, so i doesn´t really matter what he thinks.

De Filosoof
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM

I don't like most of Zimmer's music. It's well composed and of high quality but it's also very generic most of the time.
I think there are a LOT more interesting music composers out there.

I think AC3 will be my last AC game although it's the only reason i'm still playing games.
I don't like all these little hints at the new direction they're going with the AC franchise.
I want it to be a game with an eerie atmosphere,conspiracies and many secrets. I really don't hope they will deviate from that path although i have a feeling they eventually will (because it's complex, very creative and without 1000 explosions and that's not what the masses like, they don't even get it).
Please AC team, don't let those sheeple influence your creative ideas.

Don't "fix" what isn't broken (especially not when it's a genius formula like previous AC games).
Improve it, don't get rid of it.

I still don't understand why they got rid of Jesper, he really grew into the franchise.
He also states in an interview that AC2 is his favorite game of all times!!
This really helps for creating an unforgettable soundtrack and atmosphere/feeling.

Slayer_WTF
08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Hans zimmer sucks compared to Jesper, so i doesn´t really matter what he thinks.

***** please..

tarrero
08-06-2012, 10:15 PM
***** please..

Well, many agree with him in this site, not me though.....

De Filosoof
08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, many agree with him in this site, not me though.....

Well Zimmer doesn't suck obviously, but do you think his music is special?

SixKeys
08-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't like all these little hints at the new direction they're going with the AC franchise.
I want it to be a game with an eerie atmosphere,conspiracies and many secrets. I really don't hope they will deviate from that path although i have a feeling they eventually will (because it's complex, very creative and without 1000 explosions and that's not what the masses like, they don't even get it).

You do realize you are part of the masses that are buying the AC games? The franchise IS already geared towards the masses, the very fact that it IS selling well is proof that the masses DO get it. AC1 was the most unique of all the games and the most poorly received, and even that one sold over 10 million copies.

I understand that you're worried Ubisoft will try to turn AC into the next COD but please, don't embarrass yourself with hipster nonsense like "the masses don't get AC".

tarrero
08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Well Zimmer doesn't suck obviously, but do you think his music is special?

Well, he has made THAT many soundtracks, you can say he became repetitive. However I find Gladiator and Inception to be excelent works! Kinda tired of him though haha.

And regarding the "masses" stuff, well, AC1 had probably the best story and atmosphere within the franchise, but for a sandbox, its replay value and side quests were ridiculous.

SixKeys
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Who cares about what Hans Zimmer thinks anyway? They may have worked together and their work has similarities, but that doesn't mean Balfe isn't capable of doing something unique.

playassassins1
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Seriously though....We haven't even heard the soundtrack yet! You guys are arguing about Jesper being better.. Lorne has been working for a lot of action packed games not that story driven as AC, but that DOESN'T mean he can't create something special that fits with AC.... You guys are jumping to conclusions..

De Filosoof
08-06-2012, 11:06 PM
You do realize you are part of the masses that are buying the AC games? The franchise IS already geared towards the masses, the very fact that it IS selling well is proof that the masses DO get it. AC1 was the most unique of all the games and the most poorly received, and even that one sold over 10 million copies.

I understand that you're worried Ubisoft will try to turn AC into the next COD but please, don't embarrass yourself with hipster nonsense like "the masses don't get AC".

True, but that doesn't mean they have to make stuff more dumbed down because the masses don't understand it.
If the game and main storyline are good they will buy it, even if they don't understand the glyph puzzles and stuff like that but that doesn't mean they have to leave it out because there's a pretty big and dedicated fanbase that DOES understand and investigate that stuff.
If there's something the AC franchise wants people to learn, it's that history repeats itself and it's the same with big companies, many of them "sell their souls" because of the money.
I hope it won't happen to AC because that would be such a shame and pretty ironic too.

Oh and believe me, i'm no hipster ;).

ACfan443
08-07-2012, 03:07 AM
I don't have anything against Lorne. Though Jesper Jyd is someone close to an AC fan's heart, I'm willing to give Balfe's music a chance, I just hope it isn't overly dramatic. The Boston and Frontier demo music looks promising though.

Side note: Just recently, someone asked Balfe on twitter about people thinking that AC3's music will be too dramatic, to which his reply was "How can people say it is too dramatic when they haven't even heard it yet ???? The game is not out until October."