PDA

View Full Version : (Possibly Out of Place) Mode Idea: Race

BATISTABUS
08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
So basically, I think it'd be cool if there was a multiplayer mode where you could race other personas. Think of it as kind of like Mario Kart, but parkour-based. It could fit into Abstergo's training objectives because of how important traversal is to the two groups, and could fit into the Animus home console because people like racing and most people can't free-run. A lot of people enjoy running in modes that aren't meant for it, so this might be a good place to funnel them as well.

Here's what I have so far. Tell me what you think.

-8 players (with a possible team variation)
-Players would race along a course (a circuit could work too) that winds through a map. The paths could overlap, and lead above and around buildings. Like Deathmatch, the maps might receive major or minor changes to suit the mode.
-There would be a number of obstacles in and around the paths. These include barriers (walls, barrels, etc.), crowds, and chase-breakers (gates, pull-down scaffolding).
-There would be a number of "speed enhancers" or short-cuts. These include the hanging pots/lamps, other ropes/swings, windows (like in the Boston demo), carriages that you can jump on for a time before they leave the path, or the ropes that you can cut that bring you vertically.
-You cannot kill players in this mode. You would be able to push them to the side instead. This could cause them to fall off roofs or run into obstacles.
-This mode would, of course, have ability use. Some abilities would be modified, and others would be eliminated entirely. Again, abilities would not kill other players, but they could push or stun them. Stun time would be greatly reduced.
-Flags? I'm not so sure about this idea. As you race, there are a number of flags you could pick up. The flags would give you bonus points, so while you still might not have came in first place, you could still increase your position by having more points.

That's just a basic layout for now. If other people find this interesting, maybe we can have a more detailed discussion and come up with some specifics. Thoughts?

r_o_s_
08-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Oooh yeah Sprint Boost FTW.

JJL67682
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Wooow, this is a great idea! I hope ubisoft does something like this.

SixKeys
08-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Ugh, as if we need more modes with nothing but runners. No thanks.

MangoCookies
08-05-2012, 12:45 AM
That would actually be a great idea, in my eyes. I can see parkour based races going on. Climbing buildings, avoiding crows, and even some ability battles. Smoke Bomb, firecrackers, and knives can hinder other players.
At the end of the course could be an NPC, who you have to kill. This NPC is everyone's target, so whoever kills first gains points!

FilipinoNinja67
08-05-2012, 01:14 AM
@six keyes. Hopefully with moar modes like this the runners will be attracted to them and stay off the stealthy modes. This would be the first mode that cannot be played with any stealth at all.

SixKeys
08-05-2012, 02:53 AM
@six keyes. Hopefully with moar modes like this the runners will be attracted to them and stay off the stealthy modes. This would be the first mode that cannot be played with any stealth at all.

Doubt it. Noobs will just try out the race mode and figure everything else in the game is about speed for points. The runners in Wanted are runners in Deathmatch too because they don't bother to figure out the different mechanics for each mode.

LadyGahan2010
08-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Sounds very much like Artifact Assault. You do the same thing, just with a "artifact'. No thanks.

SixKeys
08-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Sounds very much like Artifact Assault. You do the same thing, just with a "artifact'. No thanks.

Sounds more like STA to me, actually, but I agree.

BATISTABUS
08-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Doubt it. Noobs will just try out the race mode and figure everything else in the game is about speed for points. The runners in Wanted are runners in Deathmatch too because they don't bother to figure out the different mechanics for each mode.
Even noobs would be able to understand the difference between a racing mode and a killing mode. It's not like you can ignore running...it is a big part of AC, and it's something people will do no matter what. I think it's better to contain that interest.

Also, it would help if Ubisoft threw a tag (Stealth, Aggression, Free-Running) next to the mode titles, so new players would go in with certain expectations.

That's much more disorganized, and isn't really a race. This would have a structured layout with different mechanics.

BATISTABUS
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Since I assume most players would likely have a Sprint Boost/Smoke Bomb/Throwing Knives ability set, I propose two options.

Should abilities be picked up during the race? You could get them by running through their emblem, a "random" box (like in Mario Kart), or by obtaining a certain number of bonus points.

or...

Should each player be automatically given those (or other) abilities? Everyone has the same three abilities in a given race, and it is up to them to decide (strategically) when to activate them?