PDA

View Full Version : How to use He-111's bombsight?

flybyil
03-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm having difficulties in using the He-111's bombsight: I have defined different keys for all of the the bombsight adjustments under the caption "Bombsight settings", but I cannot look through the bombsight. I can set for instance the height and speed of the plane and so on - I can actually see the knobs at the sides of the bombsight moving accordingly - but the view just doesn't change. No scenery below, no crosshair, no possibility of turning the sight at the target. Just what I am doing wrong?

How about the russian four-engine bomber? Should I also be able to use the bombsight of that bomber? So far I haven't even got close to that bombsight.

flybyil
03-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm having difficulties in using the He-111's bombsight: I have defined different keys for all of the the bombsight adjustments under the caption "Bombsight settings", but I cannot look through the bombsight. I can set for instance the height and speed of the plane and so on - I can actually see the knobs at the sides of the bombsight moving accordingly - but the view just doesn't change. No scenery below, no crosshair, no possibility of turning the sight at the target. Just what I am doing wrong?

How about the russian four-engine bomber? Should I also be able to use the bombsight of that bomber? So far I haven't even got close to that bombsight.

ronsterb26
03-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I'll give it a shot.
After climbing down into the bay, I think you have to do one more key sequence, Shift F1? Or is it Shift F2? I'm trying recall from memory, but I think its the same keystroke as you do to line up the German gunsights in say a BF109. After that you should be looking straight down to the scenery. Also, once you have this view, if the plane banks too much, your down view shuts off the crosshair until level again. Maybe assign a key to the auto-level would be good too.

http://www.67cars.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/b26sig.jpg

DamienW
03-10-2004, 11:14 AM
The guide to becoming a fearsome heinkel pilot that makes things go boom from incredible heights :
http://www.wingwalkers.org/sensei/He111_Operations_Guide.pdf
(not by me).

flybyil
03-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Thank you guys! Shift+F1 did the trick!

DamienW's webpage is good, everyone interested in flying He-111 bombing missions should consult this page. I learned some new things from that handbook, now I have to do some more practising (and some more...and maybe still a little bit more...) to actually hit a small target like a bridge.