PDA

View Full Version : Fire n Feathers in a P-38J

bweiss
06-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Just stopped in to see if the official patch WAS OUT YET... I'm not worthy... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Figure long as I'm here and all I'd just tell a story. Now, I seen me a post in here the other day asking about feathering of engines and fire extinguishers in the P-38, and thought (not always recommended, but a thought just up and happened), anyway, I thought someone said that the P-38 could feather engines but had no fire extinguisher.

Well now, let me tell ya. I just landed on Guam, (Net8Islands Pacific 42 DCG Campaign), in a P-38J after a furball with 4 Zeke A6M5's. ("Ooo Ooo Watson, he's gonna tell a story..."). Now, I covered me wingman long as I could, put a few rounds in a Zeke that was tailing him, but then that lil fellers wingmate decided to nail me on my starboard engine with a few rounds. The instruments told me there was carburator damage as the carb temperature guage for engine two was registering way high, but otherwise the plane was fine. Now, after I shook the culprit getting down low enough for some palm leaves to stick to the undercarriage I came around and nailed the offending Zeke with cannon fire and chewed off his tail. It was then I noticed smoke trailing from the starboard engine. The fight being over and me wingmates heading for home, I had time to fidget with the controls. As for feathering, damn if I could get it to cut out. (Yes I had it selected, the throttle lever in the cockpit showed it as selected). However, the fire extinguisher worked like a charm. Poof, a burst of white powder came pouring out of the engine. Better yet, (and I wondered about this before now), the smoke trail from my number two engine stopped. The instruments while showing excessive heat, remained steady. Now, I figured the extinguishers would put out a fire if not out of control, but I had no idea they would stop smoldering damage in an engine. By golly, ya gotta hand it to Oleg and crew. Really nice job there. I had my doubts, but it worked. As for the feathering, well good thing it didn't I guess cause the engine held up and wasn't ablaze anyway, so my bad there. But, does it? I mean, it has to right? What would be the sense in having an extinguisher in a two engine a/c and not be able to feather an engine. Something I didn't do right, maybe the wrong sequence of select/deselect or some such. But thanks to the extinguisher I'll sleep in my bunk tonight, and not in the Pacific. Hot Dog!

[This message was edited by bweiss on Tue June 22 2004 at 10:49 PM.]

bweiss
06-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Just stopped in to see if the official patch WAS OUT YET... I'm not worthy... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Figure long as I'm here and all I'd just tell a story. Now, I seen me a post in here the other day asking about feathering of engines and fire extinguishers in the P-38, and thought (not always recommended, but a thought just up and happened), anyway, I thought someone said that the P-38 could feather engines but had no fire extinguisher.

Well now, let me tell ya. I just landed on Guam, (Net8Islands Pacific 42 DCG Campaign), in a P-38J after a furball with 4 Zeke A6M5's. ("Ooo Ooo Watson, he's gonna tell a story..."). Now, I covered me wingman long as I could, put a few rounds in a Zeke that was tailing him, but then that lil fellers wingmate decided to nail me on my starboard engine with a few rounds. The instruments told me there was carburator damage as the carb temperature guage for engine two was registering way high, but otherwise the plane was fine. Now, after I shook the culprit getting down low enough for some palm leaves to stick to the undercarriage I came around and nailed the offending Zeke with cannon fire and chewed off his tail. It was then I noticed smoke trailing from the starboard engine. The fight being over and me wingmates heading for home, I had time to fidget with the controls. As for feathering, damn if I could get it to cut out. (Yes I had it selected, the throttle lever in the cockpit showed it as selected). However, the fire extinguisher worked like a charm. Poof, a burst of white powder came pouring out of the engine. Better yet, (and I wondered about this before now), the smoke trail from my number two engine stopped. The instruments while showing excessive heat, remained steady. Now, I figured the extinguishers would put out a fire if not out of control, but I had no idea they would stop smoldering damage in an engine. By golly, ya gotta hand it to Oleg and crew. Really nice job there. I had my doubts, but it worked. As for the feathering, well good thing it didn't I guess cause the engine held up and wasn't ablaze anyway, so my bad there. But, does it? I mean, it has to right? What would be the sense in having an extinguisher in a two engine a/c and not be able to feather an engine. Something I didn't do right, maybe the wrong sequence of select/deselect or some such. But thanks to the extinguisher I'll sleep in my bunk tonight, and not in the Pacific. Hot Dog!

[This message was edited by bweiss on Tue June 22 2004 at 10:49 PM.]

wayno7777
06-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Selcted engine put the fire out, but couldn't get the prop to feather. The control is there, maybe blades not modeled for in flight?

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v224/wayno77/Dux_Wreck.jpg
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

BennyMoore
06-23-2004, 01:44 AM
You can feather propellers in the P-38, but for some reason I have problems feathering one idependently of the other. If I select one and feather it, it feathers without problems, but if I then select both of them, it feathers both of them. Therefore, once I have feathered one propeller, I cannot fiddle with the other engine until I have unfeathered the first one's propeller. This sucks.

Bweiss, the P-38 didn't have a fire extinguisher in real life. That's what whoever you mentioned was talking about. Apparently it's going to be removed in the patch.

bweiss
06-23-2004, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bweiss, the P-38 didn't have a fire extinguisher in real life. That's what whoever you mentioned was talking about. Apparently it's going to be removed in the patch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eeeek!

Er ah, be better perhaps to fix the feathers than pluck the tail. (Hearing the cry of blasphemy rising from the grognard gallery, Bruno Weiss chooses descretion over valor...).

But then, it wouldn't be historically accurate I suppose. Dang, and I was so liking it too. Figures! Just when I get it to work, someone comes along and fixes it...
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

[This message was edited by bweiss on Wed June 23 2004 at 06:48 AM.]

HamishUK
06-23-2004, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
You can feather propellers in the P-38, but for some reason I have problems feathering one idependently of the other. If I select one and feather it, it feathers without problems, but if I then select both of them, it feathers both of them. Therefore, once I have feathered one propeller, I cannot fiddle with the other engine until I have unfeathered the first one's propeller. This sucks.

Bweiss, the P-38 didn't have a fire extinguisher in real life. That's what whoever you mentioned was talking about. Apparently it's going to be removed in the patch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 'late war' two engined aircraft that did not have an extinguisher, Madness!!???

Almost defeats the point of the safety aspect of a twin!

Mosquito had an extinguisher I am very surprised the long range P38 did not!?

http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/Ham1.jpg

Willi_Wombat
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
bweiss,

do you talk the way you write? just curious

WW

BS87
06-23-2004, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:

Bweiss, the P-38 didn't have a fire extinguisher in real life. That's what whoever you mentioned was talking about. Apparently it's going to be removed in the patch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is odd benny. Usually, i'll select only the engine that needs to be feathered, feather it, deselect it, select the other engine, and it works fine from there. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Gibbage1
06-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Its in the pilots hand-book. IT states very clearly in the engine startup procedures that the P-38 did not have extinguishers, and to adhear closly to the startup protocall.

Gib

"Most P-39's were sent to the Russians - so I guess that was an American secret weapon against our Russian allies."

Stan Wood, P-38 pilot who also flew the P-39.

BennyMoore
06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BS87:
That is odd benny. Usually, i'll select only the engine that needs to be feathered, feather it, deselect it, select the other engine, and it works fine from there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably my problem; I don't deselect the feathered engine first. I don't use the select/deselect toggles unless I have to (I bound them to shift plus number pad keys), I usually use the select keys (which I bound to the number pad keys). I have the select all engines key bound close to hand (number pad star).