PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 1 combat... Just cannot get into it

soldiersback
08-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I was introduced to the Assassin's Creed series when I played AC2. The combat was great. In Brotherhood it was even better. I also played Revelations after that, but I didn't like that one so much. Oh well.

I figured as I played all the AC games but the first one, I might as well buy that one too and play it. But boy was I wrong, right now I absolutely hate it. Altair feels so weak. He cannot strafe, he can only jump towards enemies? Combat feels very clunky. You can't break loose from a grab? As Ezio I can rip the enemies to shreds no problem but as Altair I cannot even fight 5 guys at once.

What am I doing wrong? Countering doesn't work outside the training grounds for some reason. And the "Tap X as you make contact" thing also works VERY clunky. I just can't get into this game because of this. I feel like a coward running away from all the enemies because the combat just doesn't work.

So any help is appreciated. I hope it gets better than .... this.

EDIT: "Save the citizen"... Well I guess I'll just leave the poor old lady being beaten to death because Altair is an old lady himself. Wouldn't want him to break a hip doing laundry or something

Gil_217
08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Maybe you can't get into it because Assassin's Creed's combat is the hardest, and in my opinion that's not saying much, because it's still easy. The combat in all other games is just very easy, even a 5-year old can get it done. Just pratice more and you will eventually control it.

SixKeys
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
If countering isn't working outside the training ground, you're doing something wrong. AC2 and later games were much more forgiving with the counter window, in AC1 you need to time your attacks just right. It is possible to break free when a soldier grabs you, but Alta´r doesn't learn that skill until later levels.

AC1's combat was designed to be challenging on purpose. Unlike Ezio, who is pretty much in god mode all the time and can slaughter dozens of soldiers without breaking a sweat, AC1 forces you to kill the enemies you can and run and hide when you get overwhelmed.

ProletariatPleb
08-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Hard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yC5WMz3rwE

Anyway, in AC1 it's...you learn things as you progress, so you must be at the very beginning so it must be a bit hard for you, have patience, having patience is an absolute must for AC1, and the combo kills ARE the most effective according to me. But it'll take more than 1 try to kill them since you're at the very beginning, the best advice I could possibly offer you is, go to the training ground and practice Combo a LOT of times, AC1's combat is my favourite, it's down to earth and challenging when you're new to it.

soldiersback
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Hard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yC5WMz3rwE

Anyway, in AC1 it's...you learn things as you progress, so you must be at the very beginning so it must be a bit hard for you, have patience, having patience is an absolute must for AC1, and the combo kills ARE the most effective according to me. But it'll take more than 1 try to kill them since you're at the very beginning, the best advice I could possibly offer you is, go to the training ground and practice Combo a LOT of times, AC1's combat is my favourite, it's down to earth and challenging when you're new to it.

Yeah I only have 4 health blocks and only the hidden blade and a sword. I don't fully get how the combo kills work (because they never work, sometimes I get them randomly lol) so right now I just block their sword attacks and keep mowing them with the sword until I kill them by pure luck.

I know that Ezio had pretty easy kills but there were parts where there were hundreds of enemies coming and that was just epic. Here I feel like a grandma when fighting. :(

PS: You really all have to do that annoying Image Verification every post...? You must not get much people here on the forums...

ProletariatPleb
08-01-2012, 09:28 PM
PS: You really all have to do that annoying Image Verification every post...? You must not get much people here on the forums...
Lol, we get enough people here, this captcha was introduced recently because of the huge amount of spam and my guess is it's temporary.

SaintPerkele
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
In AC1, you learn a lot more techniques as you progress; counterattacks and countergrabs won't be your skills from the very beginning but rather towards the end of the game.
Considering that you have only four health blocks and not even a short blade, you are at the very, very beginning of the game, you will get stronger. However, AC1 forces you to run sometimes instead of fighting (which I enjoyed, but I guess that's different for people who played the other AC games before they played the original one), there are guards (the Templars) who are basically impossible to kill in a fair fight before you learn the counter attack. That's what AC was originally about: sneak in, murder your target, fight off a few guards and then run to get the hell out of there. I prefered this to being an almost immortal killing machine, but I suppose that's depending on you.

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Hello,

I was introduced to the Assassin's Creed series when I played AC2. The combat was great. In Brotherhood it was even better. I also played Revelations after that, but I didn't like that one so much. Oh well.

I figured as I played all the AC games but the first one, I might as well buy that one too and play it. But boy was I wrong, right now I absolutely hate it. Altair feels so weak. He cannot strafe, he can only jump towards enemies? Combat feels very clunky. You can't break loose from a grab? As Ezio I can rip the enemies to shreds no problem but as Altair I cannot even fight 5 guys at once.

What am I doing wrong? Countering doesn't work outside the training grounds for some reason. And the "Tap X as you make contact" thing also works VERY clunky. I just can't get into this game because of this. I feel like a coward running away from all the enemies because the combat just doesn't work.

EDIT: "Save the citizen"... Well I guess I'll just leave the poor old lady being beaten to death because Altair is an old lady himself. Wouldn't want him to break a hip doing laundry or something

it doesnt suck, its just YOU suck at it because you are used to ezio's god-like fighting

connor_bg
08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Hard?

You took the easiest ones by the way.
Anyways, there is something i hate about AC1 combat, there was one attack where you can't get it flawlessly unless you get lucky with it. There is a rushed swing that has no animation on it, and it happens (with the hardest soldiers) when he is stepping towards you, remember some of the enemy's steps are just to lure you (and the non animated swing have a big chance to be made by the guard, sometimes he wont), if you pressed counter attack and it was all luring step the next guard will swing his sword and hit you, cause of the wasted counter. Literally there was no swing at all in AC1, you see Altair getting hit and the sword in the chest, like it was magically teleported there. The swing animation was later fixed in AC2.

soldiersback
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
it doesnt suck, its just YOU suck at it because you are used to ezio's god-like fighting

No, but I see after a bit of looking around that the other guys are right; I was used to the Assassin being able to do most of the basic stuff at the very beginning, because that was the case in every game. But as it turns out, it seems that because Altair got demoted, he also lost the ability to Counter attack and to do Combo Attacks, along with basically every move he had at the very start (when he also had full health), but loses all this after the black robe guy stabbing him in front of all those people. That was my problem.

Anyone have any idea when you earn back the combo kill and the counter attacks? I also don't seem to have my throwing knives.

ProletariatPleb
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
You took the easiest ones by the way.
Anyways, there is something i hate about AC1 combat, there was one attack where you can't get it flawlessly unless you get lucky with it. There is a rushed swing that has no animation on it, and it happens (with the hardest soldiers) when he is stepping towards you, remember some of the enemy's steps are just to lure you (and the non animated swing have a big chance to be made by the guard, sometimes he wont), if you pressed counter attack and it was all luring step the next guard will swing his sword and hit you, cause of the wasted counter. The swing animation was later fixed in AC2.
Uhh yeah the description does say that it's not all the archetypes...
I liked that part, deception.

itsamea-mario
08-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, you can break grabs, you can dodge, countering does work if you time it right, and combo's are done by striking as soon as your last hit lands, also a matter of timing. and timing is a matter of skill, if you can't do it you need practice since you're clearly not good enough.
Most of this skill get taken away after the attack on Masayaf, and they are gradually relearned so that requires patience.
and lastly, if you've come in straight from ACB you're obviously going to find it a lot harder, ACB was basically a button mashing exercise.

One more thing, as a game it is unlikely to show 'realism' but i'd say combat is more realistic in AC1, in real life you ain't winning a fight against 10 guys.

As for the game, remember it is the first and the oldest game, so give a little slack, just be patient and practise.

TheHumanTowel
08-01-2012, 10:11 PM
No, but I see after a bit of looking around that the other guys are right; I was used to the Assassin being able to do most of the basic stuff at the very beginning, because that was the case in every game. But as it turns out, it seems that because Altair got demoted, he also lost the ability to Counter attack and to do Combo Attacks, along with basically every move he had at the very start (when he also had full health), but loses all this after the black robe guy stabbing him in front of all those people. That was my problem.

Anyone have any idea when you earn back the combo kill and the counter attacks? I also don't seem to have my throwing knives.
You get your counter kill back after your first assassination in Damascus.

soldiersback
08-01-2012, 10:25 PM
You get your counter kill back after your first assassination in Damascus.

Okay awesome. I posted this thread just after leaving the first city on the horse, where all the guards are hostile if they see you. I had been practising the fighting there and I just couldn't understand why nothing worked anymore. I mean I did see that some things were taken away but I figured the abilities had come back after the first eavesdropping and pickpocketing missions. I'm In damascus now stalking that dude, have been doing things stealthy now and saving the occassional civvie just slashing with the sword.

Now that I know that I am not doing it wrong somehow but that I have yet to earn the skills... There is still hope :p I'll report back when I earn the skills

connor_bg
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Thats my sucka.

papertiger98
08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
You will need to get really good at countering in Assassins creed 1 by the end of the game he gets a similar feel to ezio's countering. I don't want to spoil anything but like the said learn the counter and combo is ok idea. when you learn the counter learn to also be able to do it. if you let it slack you will hate yourself when you get to the very end of the game.

also remember you cannot get in to the water in AC1 you instant desync. I have read people complain about that but makes sense to me. altair lives in the desert no reason for swimming abilities. also lives in a different time frame. ezio during his century time frame most people carried weapons for protections and the upper classes took fencing classes. so he would have a more god like ability to fight.

altair is more rough about his fighting abilities but like other said his was more sneak and kill then anything else. the games do follow history very well with fighting styles and information you have any etc. that is what i got when i went from AC1to AC2.

TheHumanTowel
08-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Okay awesome. I posted this thread just after leaving the first city on the horse, where all the guards are hostile if they see you. I had been practising the fighting there and I just couldn't understand why nothing worked anymore. I mean I did see that some things were taken away but I figured the abilities had come back after the first eavesdropping and pickpocketing missions. I'm In damascus now stalking that dude, have been doing things stealthy now and saving the occassional civvie just slashing with the sword.

Now that I know that I am not doing it wrong somehow but that I have yet to earn the skills... There is still hope :p I'll report back when I earn the skills
No problem. The combat is quite similar once you get your counter kill. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Enjoy yourself.

itsamea-mario
08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
AC1's combat had some neat little features that were dropped in other games.
Heavy attacks are good as they can deal a lot of damage to even an enemy who is blocking, also using heavy attacks are good when combat is coming to an end and you can string together quick kills. Heavy attacks do make an appearance in other games, but they only work with heavy weapons, and in AC2 the ability is bought at the training ground.
Countering a heavy attack causes you to enter a little interactive sequence, Altair will put himself into a position where you can choose to kill your opponent with a weapon by pressing the attack button, or break their legs with the leg button. This is harder to pull off however since it's not clear when exactly to counter.
I'm pretty sure defense break didn't make an appearance in AC2, the name says it all, if you quickstep towards your opponent then attack you will knock their guard away allowing you to attack them directly, this is learned at some point.

And IMO AC1's combat felt grittier, more brutal and more real, along with better blood graphics and sound effects plus better kill cameras.

massmurdera_666
08-01-2012, 10:55 PM

dam dude, are you paying any attention to the story at all? also, like everyone before has said, practice practice practice. i love the combat in AC1, it's my favorite in the whole series because it was difficult to master, i find myself playing AC2 and up fighting like Altiar just to give myself some extra challenge. practice and don't give up.

MetalCreed
08-01-2012, 11:32 PM
My brother rented AC1 along with purchasing MGS4 in summer of 2009, when me and brother bought a PS3 (the same day) and it was a pretty decent game then.
I got AC2 as a birthday gift in November, and fell in love with the game (which when I truly became a fan of series.)

I installed AC1 to my hard drive which came for free with the purchase of ACR a month or so ago to see if I could finish the game, and I hated it. Couldn't stand it.
Uninstalled it, and I don't think I'll be installing it again. It was horrendous.

SaintPerkele
08-01-2012, 11:45 PM
My brother rented AC1 along with purchasing MGS4 in summer of 2009, when me and brother bought a PS3 (the same day) and it was a pretty decent game then.
I got AC2 as a birthday gift in November, and fell in love with the game (which when I truly became a fan of series.)

I installed AC1 to my hard drive which came for free with the purchase of ACR a month or so ago to see if I could finish the game, and I hated it. Couldn't stand it.
Uninstalled it, and I don't think I'll be installing it again. It was horrendous.
People like you sadden me greatly. I have the feeling that a lot of people don't appreciate the things that are included in AC1 and uninstall the game so early that they won't experience the great moments.

Just for the people who didn't play it yet: yes, AC1 is quite repetitive. But it also gives you the most freedom, a huge countryside between three rather big cities and Masayf of course, the most believable atmosphere, the perfect display of a grey-moral-setting instead of good versus bad, a surprising story and, for me the most important thing, a somewhat dark and sometimes almost scary and mysterious atmoshpere. Also, the most believable combat and the most real challenge. People who want an easy game which does not offer a lot of stuff to think about should probably skip AC1 completely though.

To the OP, you learn counter attacks rather early (along with the short blade and your throwing knives) and from that time on, combat gets a lot more easier. There are no chain kills in AC1, basically the combat is similar to AC2 besides the hidden gun, the smoke bombs and the medicine.

AssassinVenice
08-01-2012, 11:50 PM
To be honest, AC1 had the most intuitive combat system of all the AC titles. It was challenging and quite straight forward. ACIIs combat pretty much sucked. You had to wait until you enemy attacks you to make some damage. If you just tapped the Armed Hand button, they would just either deflect or counter your attacks. In ACB and ACR they included the Execution Strikes wich made the combat look very fluid. It was more like a thing to watch than perform. I loved it, but AC1s combat still reigns in terms of realism and challenge.

soldiersback
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
To massmurdera, yes I pay attention but I thought my equipments were taken away, not the abilities.

I am now at sequence 4 and the combat works really great, so this is not an issue anymore. I got the achievements for Combo Kills, killing 100 in a row, and Counter Kills.
HOWEVER, I seem to have another issue.

I am stuck. My mission from the black robe guy was: Speak to the bureau Leaders of Damascus, Jeruzalem and Acre. So I've been to all three and spoke with all three, but I don't get the investigation missions from them. When I return, they say "I won't bother you, continue your search" and this applies to all of them. There are no pickpocket, eavesdrop or other missions which I need to go to the next Assassination mission.

What do I do about this? I've saved all civvies and did all Leaps of Faith. So in the city pretty much everything has been done already.

SaintPerkele
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
He's called Al Mualim. I thought you played ACR?

Anyway, once you've spoken with them, a new district of each city will unlock. Synch with all viewpoints and the new missions should appear on the map. The new missions are NOT in the district you visited before. There should be at least one new viewpoint marked on the map in each city. Also, I suggest that you finish one assassination before you talk to the next bureau leader and start the investigation ;)

soldiersback
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
He's called Al Mualim. I thought you played ACR?

Anyway, once you've spoken with them, a new district of each city will unlock. Synch with all viewpoints and the new missions should appear on the map. The new missions are NOT in the district you visited before. There should be at least one new viewpoint marked on the map in each city. Also, I suggest that you finish one assassination before you talk to the next bureau leader and start the investigation ;)

Yeah I played ACR but I wasn't fond of the Alta´r bits there. I wasn't fond of the whole game to be honest. I missed Italy and the characters from 2 and Brotherhood. So I only played it once and kinda rushed through the game. You know, I only really knew the major characters from AC2 and Brotherhood... And there are so many characters that it was impossible to remember all their names. :)

As for the problem: Aha. I wasn't aware that the new district had opened up, because the icons for the viewpoints did not appear. Apparently I wasn't the only one with the issue (if I look at many unresolved forum topics about this haha). Thanks again.

Oh and to add, I do think that AC series are a few of the best games in my collection, AC2 and Brotherhood had such great stories that kept you hooked, and I was sad once I completed them. I guess the way I love those games kinda makes me impatient in AC1. Because they are just so different. Still it's very interesting how they (in my opinion), improved with AC2.

Jexx21
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
One more thing, as a game it is unlikely to show 'realism' but i'd say combat is more realistic in AC1, in real life you ain't winning a fight against 10 guys.

I won fights against 10 guys in AC1 :P

dxsxhxcx
08-02-2012, 07:10 PM

but this probably was harder than in the next games...

itsamea-mario
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM

I know, i was replying to his point about being unable to defeat groups of enemies.
It's fairly easy to beat very large groups if you know what you're doing, but not brotherhood easy.

MasterAssasin84
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
While its a matter of opinion as to what combat system we prefer i personaly thought AC2 was the best as it built on the original system AC1 had , but i did not think AC1's combat system was bad but rather the game become very repetitave i started playing the game again last month as refresher and found myself getting bored of the game halfway through.

AC2 is my fave game out of the entire series

SixKeys
08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
To the OP, you don't get your throwing knives back until after one or two main assassinations. You only get a few at first and as you progress in the game, Al Mualim will allow you to carry more. You'll have to pick-pocket thugs to refill your stock. (As opposed to just buying more in shops.)

soldiersback
08-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Things are going well, I have met a few Templar soldiers and boy are they tough. I managed to knock 3 of them into scaffoldings and then just beat the ponies out of them until they died.

One of the voices is oddly familiar. The Bureau Leader of Damascus (The one with the beard that is friendly towards Alta´r), is that the voice actor that also voiced Leonardo Davinci?

SixKeys
08-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Things are going well, I have met a few Templar soldiers and boy are they tough. I managed to knock 3 of them into scaffoldings and then just beat the ponies out of them until they died.

One of the voices is oddly familiar. The Bureau Leader of Damascus (The one with the beard that is friendly towards Alta´r), is that the voice actor that also voiced Leonardo Davinci?

A more efficient way is to just sneak behind them and stab them. ;)

And yes, that's the same voice actor. The voice of Malik in AC1 voiced Suleiman in ACR and some of the beggar women in Acre may sound familiar if you recruited any female assassins in ACR.

soldiersback
08-02-2012, 09:31 PM
A more efficient way is to just sneak behind them and stab them. ;)

And yes, that's the same voice actor. The voice of Malik in AC1 voiced Suleiman in ACR and some of the beggar women in Acre may sound familiar if you recruited any female assassins in ACR.

Actually each time I met them they just joined in on the fight I had with guards who were harassing civilians I wanted to rescue. Each civilian rescue seems to have scaffoldings near them so that was a handy tool to get rid of them.

But I'll keep in mind their positions next time and just run, then come back stealthily for an easy kill. Too bad the death from above isn't yet implemented in 1 :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
One thing I have to say here: People claim the combat being ''realistic''
Uhh...since when is AC realistic?

SaintPerkele
08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Air assassinations are in AC1, they work a bit different though. This video explains it pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVQWJZFAcNs

xZesk_
12-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I don't think you actually paid attention to the story of the game much when you picked it up to play... Altair breaks all 3 of the "Assassin's Creeds" at the start of the game, which then leads to Al Mualim stripping him of his Master Assassin rank, making him a Novice again. After this happens, you will see a whole bunch of stuff on the screen pop up like "Skill: Countering removed" or "Skill: Dodge" removed or something. This just basically requires you to deflect attacks and then attack the enemy yourself until you actually earn that skill back. When you start to get the hang of this, it's actually really easy. I feel like they made Ezio a bit too overpowered, especially since you can already Counter while in combat during the introductory sequence/mission.