PDA

View Full Version : On-line Lagg and it's effects ...opinions?

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:35 PM
I would like to know how you compensate for On-line lagg... Some games... I will use battlefield1942 as an example... you have to shot just in front of your target to place a hit. Not just the normal lead for their movement but, additional for lagg. ( there cpu routing to the server then that server sending back that ping.. ) We already have to lead the target ..how much more do we need to compensate for this? or does IL2 have some way to compensate? Any help with regards to this would be great...

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:35 PM
I would like to know how you compensate for On-line lagg... Some games... I will use battlefield1942 as an example... you have to shot just in front of your target to place a hit. Not just the normal lead for their movement but, additional for lagg. ( there cpu routing to the server then that server sending back that ping.. ) We already have to lead the target ..how much more do we need to compensate for this? or does IL2 have some way to compensate? Any help with regards to this would be great...

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:46 PM
If you are flying a german bomber and suddenly you see a LaGG with RS-82 on your tail, then you're SCREWED ! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Good advise - before the flight, make sure that your parachute is OK. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:50 PM
0 deflection... lag-pursuit will not be affected by this. I am asking about deflection shots...

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 08:58 PM
IMO most lag is not a problem. Normally you will only see the slight stutter when someone spawns. If you're constantly seeing "right angle flyers" as I like to call them, then you need to find a new and better server, or the offending player needs to leave if it continues to happen.

If you have a poor connection try servers w/ few players and you should benefit from reduced lag. I usually have a cable modem, but due to recent storms I was disconnected and had to rely on dial-up. I didn't see any problems at all w/ my new, slower connection when I played w/ a max of five other players.

In any case you should not have to 'compensate' for lag as part of your online tactics! If you have the minimum connection speed then you should see relatively seamless play. (given some optimization) Beyond that it's the developers problem to fix not yours.

<center> http://www.4yourfuture.net/handshake.gif

"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks,
I have cable but, was unsure of the effects of On-line play on my shots. Still got alot to learn..thanks again.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:21 PM
My experience is that when firing on someone you don't have to compensate for lag (I give the same amount of lead online as I do offline), however I frequently have the impression (online) that I'm being hit by an opponent that is visually not in a firing position yet.

Scorpius

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Exo

It Realy depends on your connection and the speed at wich your flying

If you have a 50 ping (rare) and your flying @ 600/700kmh and you happen to get a clean deflection shot from .30m or less you dont need too leed very much if at all...

But if you going 500kmh & your on the bogyes six and your only getting momentary snapshots when he turns you will have to leed, some times i leed as much as one inch or a lil more it all depends on your ping, his ping his airspeed & your airspeed

My sugestion too you is not too take shots if your going over 800kmh they seem to have less chance of hitting because they spread out so much that the bogey goes between the rounds... im speaking of mk108 rounds in a 109k4 or g6as

There is no lag compression for this simulation so yes you must leed for ping time/airspeed/angle

<center><FONT COLOR="white">ӚFJ-M œ R D ˜ ӡ[/i]</font>

<center> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1059752328.jpg </center>

<center><FONT COLOR="black">
I am He who lives, and was dead
and behold
I am alive forevermore.
I am the Alpha and the Omega
the Begining and the End.[/i]</font>

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Ahhh...
That is what I wanted to hear. More seat time will do the trick but, thanks for the clarification. I was sure there had to be some lag to compensate for. So, If I'm pinging at 130 and the guy I'm chasing is at 130 I will have to allow for a slight lag.. Airspeed is also a factor...huh? Ok I will have to get a feal for it. Thanks it's really a help.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:43 PM
aiming in front of the target is called leading the target

<center>I know my name is spelled wrong

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Really... huh? What is the spinny thingy in front of the ... areo plane..? J/K

Please look at the first post. I'm aware ...Thanks

Message Edited on 08/04/0309:15PM by ExoSpeed

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Having custom skins(/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif wn skins) and the option "skin download" enabled in settings and also high connection settings seem affect the game negatively (stutters and hangups).

CHECK YOUR SETTINGS! If u play on a server that dont alow home made(custom) skinns, be sure to turn of the skindownloadoption in settings and only use default skins, bcause someonelse playing may have forgot to turn his skindownload of.
If u dont u will cause stutters when your pc is exchanging data with the server ( stutters= irritation) and from some servers they will kick you when they discover u have custom skins on.(stutters extra serious when many players )

This is what I've learned. But dont take my word for it.
check out the advice on greatergreen.com in in the post
"Help fight lag and stutters".

here is the link:

http://www.greatergreen.com/il2/

here direct link:

http://209.209.44.31/scripts/ikonboard/ikonboard.pl?s=5e372abaf15e88d068a56dff42e55a02;ac t=SF;f=20

Happy flying /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 10:34 PM
When I encounter a Lagg online I usually try to aim for the side or top of the cockpit, pilot much more fragile than the plane.

"Ich bin ein Wuergerwhiner"

"The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoption compromise solutions." --Erwin Rommel

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/Mesig.jpg
--NJG26_Killa--

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 01:00 AM
It seems that here, some ppl are talking about internet "LAG", and others about :Lavocikin LAGG(3)"
IMO the original thread was about LAG, so in this matter al that it was to say was sa(i)d./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

"The show must go on..."
<center>http://www.btinternet.com/~jj_b/vaw/images/iar81t.jpg </center>