PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft - fix this captcha posting restriction!

RatonhnhakeFan
07-27-2012, 09:22 PM
This is NOT a good solution at all. As you can clearly see yourself spam-bots are still flooding the forums with ads even though there's a captcha restriction before EVERY post - as a result, only legitimate users are punished. Such a restriction discourages people from posting. Sorry, but every half-decent forum owner should know it.

Make new users unable to post/make new threads for first 24 hours, add some complex registration question (like "How many Prince of Persia games Ubisoft released on PS2?") that can't be bypassed automatically like captacha images are thanks to text-identifying apps spam-bots have

But not this captcha restriction on every single post. Worst solution ever. It didn't stop spam-bots at all yet it harder to post for legitimate users.

NeroInfernoF7
07-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Agreed, and get some spam filters.

SixKeys
07-27-2012, 09:46 PM
This is NOT a good solution at all. As you can clearly see yourself spam-bots are still flooding the forums with ads even though there's a captcha restriction before EVERY post - as a result, only legitimate users are punished. Such a restriction discourages people from posting. Sorry, but every half-decent forum owner should know it.

Make new users unable to post/make new threads for first 24 hours, add some complex registration question (like "How many Prince of Persia games Ubisoft released on PS2?") that can't be bypassed automatically like captacha images are thanks to text-identifying apps spam-bots have

But not this captcha restriction on every single post. Worst solution ever. It didn't stop spam-bots at all yet it harder to post for legitimate users.

I hope the Captcha solution is only temporary and the forum maintainers are working on a better solution.

Registration questions are fine, but the kind of complexity you're suggesting is ridiculous. *I* don't know how many PoP games Ubisoft has released because I don't care about PoP. Many people only sign up for the forums to ask for advice, it'd be stupid to make them jump through a dozen hoops just to post once and then never again.

kudos17
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I strongly believe all posters should be forced to solve a randomized digital Rubik's cube before each message. After successfully completing it, the user would then have to both completely and correctly solve a Sudoku puzzle and a game of chess against a digital opponent in under twelve minutes.

Then, and only then, should the user be graced with the privilege of a single forum post.

TheHumanTowel
07-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I strongly believe all posters should be forced to solve a randomized digital Rubik's cube before each message. After successfully completing it, the user would then have to both completely and correctly solve a Sudoku puzzle and a game of chess against a digital opponent in under twelve minutes.

Then, and only then, should the user be graced with the privilege of a single forum post.
And that single post: lol

pacmanate
07-27-2012, 11:07 PM
At first I thought the Captcha was a good idea. However, obviously not. It annoys me AND the spammers are still getting through. So just get rid of it.

Please.

Love you lots.

Arun.

AssassinGame1
07-27-2012, 11:19 PM

AGREED! this NOT a good solution... I think Ubisoft doesn't trust us....

AnthonyA85
07-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Agreed.

A Captcha system for registration and Logon (with a security question for registration) should be enough, but doing it for every single post is just overkill, and completely unnecessary.

At least they're not insanely difficult.

YRTEP
07-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Agreed.
It really annoys me. :(

Locopells
07-28-2012, 01:53 AM
http://whiskey-ninja.com/WP-WEBSITE/20/Back2TheDrawingBoard_20.png

SixKeys
07-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Right now it's worse than ever. The first two pages are filled with nothing but spam. This is ridiculous.

sticks165
07-28-2012, 04:51 AM
this us getting ridiculous

HareyMon
07-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry guys, Hasooon left already.

GLHS
07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, captcha codes are too easy to by-pass and not necessary for individual posting. Hopefully, this won't be permanent as it's not working anyway. Most regular or even casual members will get annoyed very quickly with this, and us regulars that post multiple times a day....yeah, it's overkill. Quick replying isn't the problem. The IP addresses need to be blocked. There's no way you're telling me EVERY single one of these accounts are from different people. It's either one person on one IP, or a group of people on different IPs. It's simple. See a "member" that's posted a spam/advertising thread, block IP. It prevents further posting and multiple accounts. That's the only way this will stop. Letting them build up and changing how we, as a community, post isn't solving anything.

Moultonborough
07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Forums going downhill very quickly. I don't really get it, if we posted something like that we would be banned. Yet no real punishment to fix this? Ban the IP's and be done with it. I am sick of spending 15 minutes reporting thread after thread.

Poodle_of_Doom
07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Forums going downhill very quickly. I don't really get it, if we posted something like that we would be banned. Yet no real punishment to fix this? Ban the IP's and be done with it. I am sick of spending 15 minutes reporting thread after thread.

Funny, I reported all of them too, received a warning for a post I made on one of them, and was told to report them, which I did...

Locopells
07-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm guessing they're working on something new, seeing as there has been no official announcement about either the new rules or the spam problems.

Black_Widow9
07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
We are aware of the Spam problem and are working to find a solution. Until that time we apologize for the distraction and inconvenience.

I'm not sure what change of Rules you are talking about.

Locopells
07-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I meant the introduction of the Image Verification system.

OriginalMiles
07-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Instead of a captcha block, how about a math question?

Poodle_of_Doom
07-29-2012, 04:10 AM
We are aware of the Spam problem and are working to find a solution. Until that time we apologize for the distraction and inconvenience.

I'm not sure what change of Rules you are talking about.

I'm not intending to be disrespectful by playing this out here.... but why are we being punished for reporting the problem, and trying to keep it at the fore front of the forum to see that it gets dealt with?

rileypoole1234
07-29-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm not intending to be disrespectful by playing this out here.... but why are we being punished for reporting the problem, and trying to keep it at the fore front of the forum to see that it gets dealt with?

We're not being punished. We wanted a solution, this is what they gave us. It's temporary, so we'll deal with it for now. (hopefully not for too long:p)

Black_Widow9
07-29-2012, 04:55 AM
We're not being punished. We wanted a solution, this is what they gave us. It's temporary, so we'll deal with it for now. (hopefully not for too long:p)
Exactly. We all need some sort of solution for the moment but you are definitely not being punished.

Believe me when I tell you that it is not just you that this is driving mad. ;)

menacefox
07-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Strange that these spam attacks started happening just after HasoOon-MHD left the forums and he claimed, no one wanted him here.
Hmmm? Is this his revenge?

pacmanate
07-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Strange that these spam attacks started happening just after HasoOon-MHD left the forums and he claimed, no one wanted him here.
Hmmm? Is this his revenge?
You guys need to let that guy go haha. All I see is people bashing him. Although I would do the same if I saw him around :P

GLHS
07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
You guys need to let that guy go haha. All I see is people bashing him. Although I would do the same if I saw him around :P

That's the problem though. He isn't around anymore. So people just need to shut up about him and move on. Talk about AC, like we're supposed to be doing.

SaintPerkele
07-29-2012, 02:47 PM
That's the problem though. He isn't around anymore. So people just need to shut up about him and move on. Talk about AC, like we're supposed to be doing.

What? Is this not the HasoOon-MHD General Discussion (Console) sub-forum?

By the way, witht he Olympics the spam has reached ridiculous amounts. A new thread for every single competition..

AnthonyA85
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
One possible solution would be to allow ordinary users who have more than 1000 posts the ability to DELETE threads.

Now, i realize this has the potential to be abused, BUT, it would help keep the spam down AND would give the mods a helping hand.

And if the mods are worried about this idea getting abused, then that is why i recommend only allowing members with more than 1000 post the ability, since these members would be experienced posters, and would (hopefully) be responsible, use common sense, and not go on a mad deleting spree.

Poodle_of_Doom
07-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Exactly. We all need some sort of solution for the moment but you are definitely not being punished.

Believe me when I tell you that it is not just you that this is driving mad. ;)

No really.... I am being punished. I have the official warnings in my inbox right now. I'm not connected with these events, yet I've done something wrong.

Medo3G
07-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I won't be hoping for something pretty from a company that thought that always-on DRM was a good idea
And I think that the IP ban -though a good idea- could be bypassed by proxy, correct me if I wrong.
I think a good idea is not allowing links from members who have less than 10 posts

Vex_Assassin
07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
We need to get rid of this captcha thing, because as you can see it's not even working... They are more spammers than ever.

SaintPerkele
07-29-2012, 04:46 PM
One possible solution would be to allow ordinary users who have more than 1000 posts the ability to DELETE threads.

Now, i realize this has the potential to be abused, BUT, it would help keep the spam down AND would give the mods a helping hand.

And if the mods are worried about this idea getting abused, then that is why i recommend only allowing members with more than 1000 post the ability, since these members would be experienced posters, and would (hopefully) be responsible, use common sense, and not go on a mad deleting spree.
No. There is a reason why there a moderators and users. A high post count does not directly imply that the user would make for a good co-moderator. There will be abuse, we all know that, no matter whether you need to have 1000 or 5000 posts. Also, did you really just use the number 1000 because you have over 1000 posts? ;)

Now, there are only four ways to stop this spam efficiently and they would all cause problems.

1. New moderators. Maybe even reliable users who do the job for free or whatever. Or moderators with less abilites, who can basically "hide" threads until the main-mods decide whether to delete them or not.
2. A word-filter that filters certain sport and advertisement related words and does not allow posts containing these words.
3. New threads won't show up in the forums until they are checked by moderators who either delete them or allow them to be posted.
4. An IP-ban (assumed that they use the same IP and no proxies).

DarkSolitude-X
07-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Captcha seems pointless; especially when (as I write this) there are aleast ten spam threads dealing with the summer olympics.

I hope ubisoft finds cool inventive ways to punish these stupid bastards. A virus that literally makes all of their electronics (connected to their networks) blow up, and burn down their housing unit sounds good to me. Ubisoft, make it happen!

RatonhnhakeFan
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
We all need some sort of solution for the momentBut the captcha for every post in no temprorary solution at all. It clearly has no effect on spam (it actually increased) and it discourages people from posting which means less real posts and On-Topic non-spam threads don't get bumped as often and get buried further and further away in all the spam

I hope ubisoft finds cool inventive ways to punish these stupid bastards. A virus that literally makes all of their electronics (connected to their networks) blow up, and burn down their housing unit sounds good to me. Ubisoft, make it happen!No one will be punished. These are not real people, they're automated bots that crawl throughout all internet forums/blogs/comment sections trying to post spam.

connor_bg
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I hope ubisoft finds cool inventive ways to punish these stupid bastards. A virus that literally makes all of their electronics (connected to their networks) blow up, and burn down their housing unit sounds good to me. Ubisoft, make it happen!

Hey, when you start to take over the world can you spare my life :D:D

Layytez
07-29-2012, 06:06 PM
I have never seen such a messy forum in all of my time on the interwebs...

MT4K
07-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't think the forum issues will last too much longer. I'm confident they have something up their sleeve :D.

freddie_1897
07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
why the hell do we need to watch the olympics on there websites anyway? i mean they are on the TV for free. the only people who might not have a TV are PC users. and even they have other, legal ways of watching them

if they are gonna have spam at least be for something good.

Mr_Shade
07-29-2012, 06:27 PM
It's what ever is popular - and makes them money ;)

We will continue to ban the users and delete the treads - so please bare with this extra step until we are able to have a proper solution.

Might be little comfort - but this 'attack is not by any person currently banned.. Unless he decided to go after many many forums - since Ubisoft is not the only one being currently targeted - so I suggest people assuming it's a certain person remember that ;)

VivoEstSomnio
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM
As a person who has moderated various forums before, both as a profession and as a volunteer, I can tell you that making something like CAPTCHA a requirement isn't exactly a decision that's taken lightly. I'm quite confident they realize how annoying it is to enter the CAPTCHA every single time, especially for those who are high-volume posters.

I've seen a few suggestions in this thread and, while I am in no way attempting to be condescending, there are some flaws with them. A high post count does not a good user make. I've seen countless forum users over the years who are quite active yet simply awful posters to the point where it would've been irresponsible of me to given them any special status. If they were to start such a program where people could openly apply to be a volunteer moderator (which would come with restricted abilities), having a questionnaire of some sort would be perfect. One community I worked on had such a program and it required that a user had been a member for so many months, had no active warnings or infractions, no banned alts, and a few other things that I can't remember at this particular moment. The questionnaire featured some multiple choice going over different scenarios and testing how familiar the individual was with the Rules of Conduct, as well as questions that required typed out answers such as why they thought they'd make a good moderator in the first place. The screening process required us to be very thorough, and those we thought would make good candidates were passed on up to the Community Management team as they made the final decision.

Hiding or trashing threads that result in delayed moderation actually cause more problems than good. The OP will wonder where their thread has gone, especially if they're a first-time poster or aren't aware of the new guidelines, and that can lead to duplicate threads by them as well as discussion of moderation - which is never allowed on any forums I've ever been a member of.

Word filters can only do so much as there are ways around those with special characters and alternate ways of spelling. Those who wish to spam will find ways around it, so while they are necessary to remove certain words that aren't acceptable they can only do so much.

Requiring newly created threads to go through moderation prior to showing up actually results in more work for the moderators and, depending on the number of threads waiting in the queue, it can prevent them from doing other things they're responsible for. Plus threads that are created during conventions or major announcements won't be as relevant once the 24 hours has passed, resulting in forum users going to others sites to discuss with no real incentive to return. Over time it would essentially kill the forums and what community has been built here. I'm sure we can all agree that we don't want that as an outcome.

One suggestion that did pop into my head is similar to what's currently being practiced on MMO forums, however there is a drawback. Like most MMO's that come with a subscription plan, the forums are open to all prior to launch. Post-launch they then require you to enter in a game code/key in order to gain access and participate. Having a requirement such as that helps cut down on spam, but the obvious downside is that potential customers can't ask questions beforehand or participate in discussions. Since their current catalog of games are all hosted on the same forum, they could perhaps make it to where all one has to do is enter in a UPC from any Ubisoft title thus granting the user access to the forums in their entirety. Those who don't currently own any Ubisoft titles (which is highly unlikely now that it's 2012 and they have quite a massive catalog) will be restricted to the forums as read-only.

pacmanate
07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
^ My god

LadyGahan2010
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I have one comment. As an admin of my own forums (6-7 years now) with phpbb as their software, I can attest that 90% of my spammers problems were due to obsolete (outdated) software. The moment a new version of phpbb comes out, forums with not upgraded software become immediate target. It might not be visible for an admin that there is a problem until they try to register an account just for the heck of it. That's how I discovered last time my forums were attacked by 5-10 spammers a day. An update to phpb solved almost all my problems.
Not trying to say that someone is at fault here. It's just there can be many reasons for spamming attack. New spamming IPs, obsolete software is just two possibilities It's complicated and requires a lot of time to check all possibilities to successfully discover the source of spamming problem.

Poodle_of_Doom
07-31-2012, 03:41 AM
I have one comment. As an admin of my own forums (6-7 years now) with phpbb as their software, I can attest that 90% of my spammers problems were due to obsolete (outdated) software. The moment a new version of phpbb comes out, forums with not upgraded software become immediate target. It might not be visible for an admin that there is a problem until they try to register an account just for the heck of it. That's how I discovered last time my forums were attacked by 5-10 spammers a day. An update to phpb solved almost all my problems.
Not trying to say that someone is at fault here. It's just there can be many reasons for spamming attack. New spamming IPs, obsolete software is just two possibilities It's complicated and requires a lot of time to check all possibilities to successfully discover the source of spamming problem.

I've moderated a few boards myself. At that, I found that it was extremely helpful to have to approve all members, specifically via email/sign up link, and mod approval prior to posting.

FrankieSatt
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Let me add one thing about this new captcha verification. Something needs to be done with it to help us color blind people. Myself being color blind I have problems distinguishing some of the letters because of the color of the letter and the background that is being used. This leads me to have to refresh the image a number of times and then sometimes guess, and get wrong, what letter or number it is.

At the very least remove the colors and just use a black background with white letters. Does it really need to be all this colorful crap that plays havock with us color blind people?

Poodle_of_Doom
07-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Let me add one thing about this new captcha verification. Something needs to be done with it to help us color blind people. Myself being color blind I have problems distinguishing some of the letters because of the color of the letter and the background that is being used. This leads me to have to refresh the image a number of times and then sometimes guess, and get wrong, what letter or number it is.

At the very least remove the colors and just use a black background with white letters. Does it really need to be all this colorful crap that plays havock with us color blind people?

I'm not colorblind, but I have the same problem you do with distinquishing some of the letters and numbers.

LadyGahan2010
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
I've moderated a few boards myself. At that, I found that it was extremely helpful to have to approve all members, specifically via email/sign up link, and mod approval prior to posting.
I agree. Also the registration question that is fairly detailed, is helpful too. Probably hard to implement here though due to wide area of interest.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-01-2012, 03:42 AM
I agree. Also the registration question that is fairly detailed, is helpful too. Probably hard to implement here though due to wide area of interest.

Questions aren't really necessary if you do a captcha on signup, plus requiring mod approval.