PDA

View Full Version : TotalBsiquit: " Assassin's Creed multipalyer would be a fantastic E-Sports game."

HeJurm
07-26-2012, 10:45 PM
This is a bit old interview from about 2 months ago, but I thought that since there have recently been a lot of buzz around E-Sports and E-Sports in Assassins's Creed Multiplayer specifically, I should finally post this intereview here for the Assassin's Creed community to see. Maybe more people would be interested in this now than they used to be.

A little bit of background for this interview:

What is E-Sports: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9tUmLc1_LI

I'm an avid follower of StarCraft2's E-Sports scene, so it was natural for me to watch this interview even though I had no idea they would be talking about Assassin's Creed.

It takes place during Major League Gaming's (MLG (http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/home)) StarCraft2 "Summer Arena" tournament.The person interviewing is called Ken "Hot_Bid" Chen, he's kind of a "celebrity" in StarCraft2 scene beacause he's one of the most influential admin on the central StarCraft2 forums site; Teamliquid.net (http://www.teamliquid.net/). The person being interviewed doesn't need a presentation, but if someone doesn't know one of the most famous internet personality in gaming, he is John "Totalbiscuit" Bane. He's basically the first ever content producer/shoutcaster on gaming ever (700 000+ subscribers on his personal youtube channel + many more trough other channels he is or has been a core part of developement).

StarCraft2 is the world leading E-Sports game with a whole industry built around it.

And now for the interview:

You might want to skip to 5:10 if you dont want to listen to non-Assassins Creed realated stuff, but I highly recommend listening it all the way trough so you'll get a better idea of whats happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwX-Wutn0U

It is a bit of something when the most experienced E-Sports personality/shoutcaster get all excited when Assassin's Creed get's mentioned and then goes into saying Assassin's Creed multipalyer would be an awesome E-Sport game. He even associates Assassin's Creed to StarCraft2 in the way how Assassins's Creed could be as good of a spectator sport as StarCraft2 is, which is a huge statement concidering the viewer numbers StarCraft2 tournaments has, which are 2 to 6 million unique viewers (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/search.php?q=viewer+numbers)per major tournament! So if Ubisoft is really thinking of trying to make AC3 a real E-Sports game, they should listen the professionals. The core element for an E-Sports game, like Totalbiscuit himself says, is a proper spectating intereface. Then again, them saying they are trying to make an E-Sports game could be just a marketing trick to get people all excited about the game, when in reality they're just making the game more competitive. A game being competitive isn't enough for it to be a real E-Sports. Any game can be competitive if it has custom matchmaking and ability to change the rules and set limitations for the matches.

HeJurm
07-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Could someone change the "TotalBsiquit" from the title to "TotalBisquit"? Thanks :)

trikky d
07-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Could someone change the "TotalBsiquit" from the title to "TotalBisquit"? Thanks :)

I'm pretty sure you can do it by editing your post... i think.

It is a bit of something when the most experienced E-Sports personality/shoutcaster get all excited when Assassin's Creed get's mentioned and then goes into saying Assassin's Creed multipalyer would be an awesome E-Sport game. He even associates Assassin's Creed to StarCraft2 in the way how Assassins's Creed could be as good of a spectator sport as StarCraft2 is, which is a huge statement concidering the viewer numbers StarCraft2 tournaments has, which are 2 to 6 million unique viewers (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/search.php?q=viewer+numbers)per major tournament!

That is a huge endorsement.

Thanks for posting all that stuff. Very interesting and informative.

obliviondoll
07-27-2012, 08:23 AM
The person who posted the thread can edit the title (I've done it multiple times in the Reckoners OP). You have to go to the advanced edit screen once you're editing the post. Also, you were wrong both times. It's "biscuit" with a "c" not "bisquit" with a "q" :D

Also, Assassin's Creed multiplayer WOULD make a good e-sport if they fixed the game-breaking lag, or if tournament rules required LAN play (and the devs supported it).

pioneerprogres
07-27-2012, 12:31 PM
The person who posted the thread can edit the title (I've done it multiple times in the Reckoners OP). You have to go to the advanced edit screen once you're editing the post. Also, you were wrong both times. It's "biscuit" with a "c" not "bisquit" with a "q" :D

Also, Assassin's Creed multiplayer WOULD make a good e-sport if they fixed the game-breaking lag, or if tournament rules required LAN play (and the devs supported it).

no joke. If I, a casual but consistent player, can be caused to rage quit on a regular basis by ridiculous lag problems (just did last night), no MLG player could take the game seriously.

AwkwardlyBruta
07-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Huh, I though he was saying his name was BS-I-Quit, not Biscuit.

HeJurm
07-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the instructions! :) Lol i've always tought it's spelled bisquit not biscuit xD

LAN support would be really good, but it's kind of old stuff novadays. A lot of games have such good servers that they're almost like LAN, tournamet servers.

no joke. If I, a casual but consistent player, can be caused to rage quit on a regular basis by ridiculous lag problems (just did last night), no MLG player could take the game seriously.

To be completely frank, lag problems are no biggie to deal with if the company really wants to. So, if Ubisoft really wants to make this game a proper E-Sport they will fix the lag and glitches and they will support the game 100% after the release. Now they have said that they're going for towards being an E-Sport game, so you shouldn't worry about lag and all that stuff in AC3, UNLESS it has all been a marketing trick or something like that and they aren't really trying to make this game what they've said.

pioneerprogres
07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the instructions! :) Lol i've always tought it's spelled bisquit not biscuit xD

LAN support would be really good, but it's kind of old stuff novadays. A lot of games have such good servers that they're almost like LAN, tournamet servers.

To be completely frank, lag problems are no biggie to deal with if the company really wants to. So, if Ubisoft really wants to make this game a proper E-Sport they will fix the lag and glitches and they will support the game 100% after the release. Now they have said that they're going for towards being an E-Sport game, so you shouldn't worry about lag and all that stuff in AC3, UNLESS it has all been a marketing trick or something like that and they aren't really trying to make this game what they've said.

Well, I don't really trust ubisoft anymore anyway, so I'll believe it when I see it.

protesticle
07-27-2012, 11:27 PM
You have got to be kidding me if you think Ubisoft's servers/p2p system is even remotely comparable to a LAN connection.

Wait for the Obliviondoll to smite you!

HeJurm
07-28-2012, 12:12 AM
You have got to be kidding me if you think Ubisoft's servers/p2p system is even remotely comparable to a LAN connection.

Wait for the Obliviondoll to smite you!

Did i say it was?

I said there are servers that can give you good connections almost comparable to LAN. Something like that could be implemented in AC3.

obliviondoll
07-28-2012, 02:23 AM
With how Ubisoft have the game set up, they COULD make it competently un-laggy. But they broke ACB when it was borderline competent, and ACR wasn't any better.

They need a LOT of work on their netcode. In the E3 build of ACR, which I got to play on a LAN, there was visible lag. Their netcode really is THAT BAD.

And it's partly because of how the game works. You're not just looking at X amount of players running simultaneously. A BIG part of the problem for Assassin's Creed is syncing up all the NPCs and tracking them accurately for everyone - and that's enough of a mission with a good LAN setup, let alone trying to run it over the internet. With peer-to-peer like the current system runs, the game is screwed for e-sports, and Ubisoft don't seem like they're planning on fixing that with servers any time soon. If they DO, great, but they'll probably "take advantage of the improvements" to make matchmaking "even better" and destroy every benefit they get from using servers in the first place.

ReptileAssassin
07-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Ubisoft's technical staff are completely incompetent, at least how I see it. I've had a group for a while that I want to upload pictures in, and I reported to BlackWidow that it was giving me a "you don't have permission to do this" page. he then joined my group, and DESPITE BEING A MODERATOR, got the same error page.

He told me he would get back with me when the people he reported the problem to gave him news.

It's been at least a month for the techs to fix a simple permissions bug on their website, and no dice. So no. I don't trust Ubisoft's technical team at all.

Serrachio
07-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Ubisoft's technical staff are completely incompetent, at least how I see it. I've had a group for a while that I want to upload pictures in, and I reported to BlackWidow that it was giving me a "you don't have permission to do this" page. he then joined my group, and DESPITE BEING A MODERATOR, got the same error page.

He told me he would get back with me when the people he reported the problem to gave him news.

It's been at least a month for the techs to fix a simple permissions bug on their website, and no dice. So no. I don't trust Ubisoft's technical team at all.

She*, her*

Grazel69
07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping ubisoft reads this and gets the drive to put in spectator mode, including map while spectating with all the normal functions of specator mode
and also get the drive to make their servers better

spectator AC would be a very good thing and something people would actually watch I think

HeJurm
07-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping ubisoft reads this and gets the drive to put in spectator mode, including map while spectating with all the normal functions of specator mode
and also get the drive to make their servers better

spectator AC would be a very good thing and something people would actually watch I think

Absolutely! E-Sports is amazing and AC E-Sports would be sick!