PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Assassin’s Creed 3 cities

im3jia
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Here's an article where Alex Hutchinson talks about the makeup and layout of the upcoming game's post-colonial New York City.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/assassins-creed-3-travels-to-new-york-after-the-great-fire-of-1776/ (http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/assassins-creed-3-travels-to-new-york-after-the-great-fire-of-1776/)

Q:The first big question relates to the distance between New York and Boston. I’ve been wondering for months about how these two cities will be connected within the game’s larger Frontier, if they’d be walled off by loading screens or if they’d simply sit inside the larger world.

A:“We had a big discussion about that early on in development,” Hutchinson admited. “What we realized was, we could make it contiguous and have you run from Boston through the Frontier to New York, but it made it feel like Disneyland. If you can run in five minutes from Boston to New York, it stops feeling real. In the end, we decided to keep them separate [with load screens]. There’s not a big, swampy chunk of New York, we just went with the densest part of [the city].”

​The rest of article has Alex talking about Dutch influence in New York at the time that changes free-running a bit, and that most of the gameplay in New York is around or after the period of the Great Fire.

Captain Tomatoz
07-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks, your really good at finding good articles :D

RatonhnhakeFan
07-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I think it's a good solution. The 'Disneyland' effect was present in AC1 where the Kingdom map, although big, connected all 3 cities and it did feel weird that you could go from Jerusalem to Damascus in 5 minutes

xXMrGR1NCHXx
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Awesome, I can't wait. I'm glad they spaced out New York and Boston. Also, if I understood correctly, it's going to take over 5 minutes of real time to get from city to city? Sweet!

RatonhnhakeFan
07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Awesome, I can't wait. I'm glad they spaced out New York and Boston. Also, if I understood correctly, it's going to take over 5 minutes of real time to get from city to city? Sweet!

No, you actually won't be able to go directly from Boston, through Frontier, to New York (for example).

twenty_glyphs
07-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I think it's a good solution. The 'Disneyland' effect was present in AC1 where the Kingdom map, although big, connected all 3 cities and it did feel weird that you could go from Jerusalem to Damascus in 5 minutes

That's weird, I never felt like I was traveling from Jerusalem to Damascus in 5 minutes in AC1. I always viewed the Kingdom as a location sort of in the center of all the main AC1 locations, and the exit points for each city as the start of the main road leading straight to that city. In my mind, once I hit that exit and traveled to a city and got a load screen, Altaïr was just traveling long stretches of road that weren't interesting enough to show in the game. I felt the same way about the exit points on the maps in AC2. I never felt that Monterrigioni was just outside Florence, but that Ezio was traveling the miles between them without incident, so the Animus didn't need to show those events to us.

Actually, it sounds like the Frontier will be similar to the Kingdom in that it will be a separate map that probably has exit points that lead to Boston and New York. I believe the Disneyland effect that Alex is talking about is having Boston, New York and the Frontier all in the same map, where you literally travel from one to the other in 5 minutes without load screens. I can see where that would have a fake feeling to it. At least with the load screens, you can imagine that the Animus is just skipping over the travel time between those locations while it's loading the next map.

Requiscent
07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Makes sense, if the frontier is said to be 1.5 times the size of Rome, then having it only take 5 minutes to reach either of the cities would kill it. I could have sworn them saying they weren't going for any load screens earlier though. However, that may be my memory messing with me.

SaintPerkele
07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
That's weird, I never felt like I was traveling from Jerusalem to Damascus in 5 minutes in AC1. I always viewed the Kingdom as a location sort of in the center of all the main AC1 locations, and the exit points for each city as the start of the main road leading straight to that city. In my mind, once I hit that exit and traveled to a city and got a load screen, Altaïr was just traveling long stretches of road that weren't interesting enough to show in the game.
While I agree with you, this is my time to shine as a smartass: Masyaf was directly connected to the Kingdom (evident by the Masyaf soldiers, unless they had them hundreds of kilometres from the city), however you could in fact see Jerusalem in the distance when entering the city from the Kingdom. Considering the fact that they are in reality 400 kilometres apart, this would be kind of Disneyland-ish :D But yeah, the feeling was different and I'm pretty sure the feeling is going to be similar in ACIII.

AssassinGame1
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks, your really good at finding good articles :D

True that

rileypoole1234
07-26-2012, 05:29 AM
You really are good at finding articles. That was a good one. Nice job.

WolfTemplar94
07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
I swear, you create a lot of the most interesting articles.

I'm really interested in what New York will be like. I'm going to look into how it appeared back then.

Locopells
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Sounds like they're gonna keep NY under wraps until release.

LoyalACFan
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Sounds like they're gonna keep NY under wraps until release.

Nah, probably until Gamescom. They've got to showcase something major there.