PDA

View Full Version : Yo Ubi....Why so many Editions huh?

EscoBlades
07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Start by reading this, by the talented folk at RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/18/just-release-assassins-creed-not-six-different-versions/

Now while i understand (to an extent) the pressures placed on a company when marketing a game for a global release and dealing with regional restrictions and all that jazz, this thread isn't for or about that. Personally, i agree with the article. I've never understood the need for SO MANY different editions of the same game.

Furthermore, i preferred the days where you had one Master Edition, one slightly less imprssive edition, and then the basic game with little to no extras.

This is one of a few things i don't like that Ubisoft do on a regular basis. Its utterly confusing for starters, and just annoys fans in regions where the "top editions" differ significantly.

So, what are your thoughts? Civil discussion please, this isn't a Freedom vs Limited vs Join or Die Edition thread. And if any of the forum managers or Ubi staff want to explain why there are always a multitude of editions available, then feel free to do so. Thanks.

ShadownetX
07-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Start by reading this, by the talented folk at RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/18/just-release-assassins-creed-not-six-different-versions/

Now while i understand (to an extent) the pressures placed on a company when marketing a game for a global release and dealing with regional restrictions and all that jazz, this thread isn't for or about that. Personally, i agree with the article. I've never understood the need for SO MANY different editions of the same game.

Furthermore, i preferred the days where you had one Master Edition, one slightly less imprssive edition, and then the basic game with little to no extras.

This is one of a few things i don't like that Ubisoft do on a regular basis. Its utterly confusing for starters, and just annoys fans in regions where the "top editions" differ significantly.

So, what are your thoughts? Civil discussion please, this isn't a Freedom vs Limited vs Join or Die Edition thread. And if any of the forum managers or Ubi staff want to explain why there are always a multitude of editions available, then feel free to do so. Thanks.

Because they want more money.

WolfTemplar94
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
I at least hope they release all the extra missions as DLC. I won't be getting the game until I can get a new gaming computer :/

TheHumanTowel
07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
The amount of editions and the requirements to get them are completely ridiculous. It's ludicrous you can't buy an edition of the game that has all the extra content (talking actual game content here). Basically no one can buy a truly complete edition of Assassin's Creed 3. As for why Ubisoft does this I think the answer is pretty obvious. They want more money. Well I'm going to do what I've done with every past AC game and just buy the standard version. I don't want to support this bull****

Chocoburger
07-19-2012, 09:52 PM
The way that guy wrote the article, hurt my head. It was just a confusing mess of words to me for some reason. By different editions, I suppose you simply mean, store (temporary) exclusive DLC. And yes, it sucks. Pre-order bonuses are fine, but store-exclusive pre-order bonuses are becoming the next big bane of modern gaming and UbiSoft is really pushing their luck here. They know that they have a great game, so they know that they can get away with it, but they also need to know that they're pissing off their fans.

Do they care? I doubt it.

YRTEP
07-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I at least hope they release all the extra missions as DLC. I won't be getting the game until I can get a new gaming computer :/
Same here. :nonchalance:

SixKeys
07-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Agreed, Esco. I think it would be better to go for the Super Special Edition > Slightly Lesser Edition > Normal Edition model as well. For one, it would be less confusing for consumers - how many times do we have people asking: "Wait, so if I order Edition X, which extra mission do I get? What's the difference between Edition Y?". Secondly I do believe it would significantly decrease tension among fans from different regions.

I know certain regions have limitations for what is and isn't allowed in a game package, for an example in some regions you might have to pay a lot more for an edition that comes with a figurine because it's a "toy" and they have different laws regarding imported toys. But the solution isn't to create ten different editions of the same game, just come up with editions that won't pose a problem in any regions.

The bundling of specific skins and missions with specific editions makes even less sense. They're already part of the game, the only thing you're paying for is a special code for content that'll eventually be released as DLC anyway. As much as I hate it when some games really do have exclusive content that can never be obtained unless you order at a specific store, I can understand it from a business point of view. But if you're going to have the Super Special Ultimate Edition, that one should always automatically include all the in-game extras, PLUS some physical goodies. It makes no sense that the supposedly best edition has less actual in-game content than an inferior edition.

stargate55555
07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
What I don't understand is if there is a DLC included in the GameStop, Wall-Mart and BestBuy version how do you choose which one to pick? I am not specific to this game but rather in general.

EDIT: I personally do not care about anything that is not a game content. For example, buckles, cases, etc are not really of any importance for me. I am all about the game content.

kriegerdesgottes
07-19-2012, 09:57 PM
It must be so hard for you to have a choice in the matter. I have two choices since I'm American. Regular game or a ripp off LE. decisions decisions. Sorry to hear about you having too many editions to choose from though. That's really rough.

EscoBlades
07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
It must be so hard for you to have a choice in the matter. I have two choices since I'm American. Regular game or a ripp off LE. decisions decisions. Sorry to hear about you having too many editions to choose from though. That's really rough.

I knew someone would misunderstand.

If you bothered to read the article, and what i was driving at, i'm talking about ALL available Editions for one title. Not the region specific choices. If you really wanted to, you could get the basic game for your region, then buy the super special edition with extras online, pay for shipping and sell the game come release. This thread isn't to argue about what options you are limited to. Thanks.

SixKeys
07-19-2012, 10:02 PM

The point isn't "oh boo hoo, us poor Europeans have too many great choices", it's that this kind of business model is bad for everybody. You may think we have lots of great choices, but I don't care for the Freedom Edition OR the Join Or Die Edition. The only edition I want is one that comes with all the in-game extras, which means I'm forced to get the Digital Edition because none of the so-called "great" physical editions have the same in-game content. I may have the choice to go for the Freedom Edition which many Americans seem to think is the best one for some reason, but I still think it's inferior to the Digital Edition, which is the only one available to both NA and EMEA fans.

Serrachio
07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I loved the Codex Edition of ACB (which I bought) solely because for the extra money I was paying, I was getting all of the single player game, two Templar Lairs and a couple of MP characters that I wouldn't mind people buying later on, since I'd be getting new stuff too, along with some awesome physical goodies.

Which is why ACR's editions pissed me off. What was the point in the cluster**** that was this edition getting this, and that edition getting that etc.?

It meant that even if I wanted to shell out more money than I needed to, I still wasn't getting everything early, and the best edition out of them was more of a race to pre-order it (which I didn't manage to get), and even then, it was missing the Ottoman Doctor and an exclusive outfit. And the annoying thing later? They then decided to give out the MP characters for free by playing ACR's MP during E3, going against making people purchase the Lost Archive that would have included them anyway, losing out on money for the company for the sake of getting people to play the multiplayer that was a crappier experience than its predecessor.

I just don't understand it. Sort your ****ing marketing out Ubisoft. They've already caused a pointless controversy for AC3.

Ubisoft. Listen to me, one of the many people who'd consider themself one of your fans. I want all the singleplayer missions, MP characters and some physical goodies in one big thing. Chances are, I'll buy it.

And give your North American fans an equal chance at it.

SaintPerkele
07-19-2012, 10:10 PM
The one good thing about being a PC gamer and a fan of the AC franchise is that we have the possiblity of getting a digital exklusive edition which includes all digital content.

Frankly though, I think there should be at least one "physical" edition which contains everything, especially if it's about missions. Outfits or multiplayer characters, fair enough. But denying non-PC gamers to get every single mission is just not fair.

SixKeys
07-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I loved the Codex Edition of ACB (which I bought) solely because for the extra money I was paying, I was getting all of the single player game, two Templar Lairs and a couple of MP characters that I wouldn't mind people buying later on, since I'd be getting new stuff too, along with some awesome physical goodies.

Yup, the Brotherhood Codex Edition was great. Too bad it turned out to be a complete waste for us PC players (excluding the cool box) when all the digital content was released to console players for free two weeks before the game's PC release (6 months after the console release). It was like a final "F you" to PC players. I pre-ordered the Codex Edition sometime in the summer, then just before November they tell me I won't be able to play it until half a year from now. I was disappointed, but hey, at least when I finally get my game, I'll have some cool extra MP characters and DLC missions that the buyers of the regular console edition didn't get. Then two weeks before my super special edition is set to arrive, Ubisoft announces: "Hey assassins! Seeing as EVERYONE has had plenty of time by now to play ACB, we're releasing all the extra stuff to those who didn't pay for it! It's only fair". Umm, no, it's not fair. I paid 30 euros extra for something exclusive and you're just going to give it away for free before I've even had a chance to play the game?

RatonhnhakeFan
07-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I only care about all DLC, actual in-game content. Since there's no console edition with all DLC, I'm not buying any of the different collector/special editions. Just pre-ordering from one specific retailer that offer Colonial Assassin outfit and will wait for the rest till it's included in the first major-DLC.

Serrachio
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Yup, the Brotherhood Codex Edition was great. Too bad it turned out to be a complete waste for us PC players (excluding the cool box) when all the digital content was released to console players for free two weeks before the game's PC release (6 months after the console release). It was like a final "F you" to PC players. I pre-ordered the Codex Edition sometime in the summer, then just before November they tell me I won't be able to play it until half a year from now. I was disappointed, but hey, at least when I finally get my game, I'll have some cool extra MP characters and DLC missions that the buyers of the regular console edition didn't get. Then two weeks before my super special edition is set to arrive, Ubisoft announces: "Hey assassins! Seeing as EVERYONE has had plenty of time by now to play ACB, we're releasing all the extra stuff to those who didn't pay for it! It's only fair". Umm, no, it's not fair. I paid 30 euros extra for something exclusive and you're just going to give it away for free before I've even had a chance to play the game?

Well, yeah, I suppose that would suck for a PC player, but since I'm a console player, I can't really comment to that effect.

If you're referring to them releasing the Da Vinci DLC for console players, people had to pay 800 MS points or $10 on the Playstation Store. If you mean PC players though, that's more of a problem with Ubisoft's marketing being stupid.

Timeaus
07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
It really annoyed me how they split up the in-content between each edition and stores pre-order bonuses, they are taking away some on the experiences and it's really stupid.

Gregolian
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I knew someone would misunderstand.

If you bothered to read the article, and what i was driving at, i'm talking about ALL available Editions for one title. Not the region specific choices. If you really wanted to, you could get the basic game for your region, then buy the super special edition with extras online, pay for shipping and sell the game come release. This thread isn't to argue about what options you are limited to. Thanks.

I think you do have to bring up the fact though that these differing editions are region based. If let's say the J/D, Freedom, and NA LE were all available EVERYWHERE with slightly different prices this argument I doubt would be happening though that would be WAY too many editions.

As I see it big AAA titles should (and I can't believe I am saying this) follow the kind of precedent that Call of Duty has. You have the base $60 model which is just the game (MAYBE some pre-order DLC) and then the CE (their Prestige edition) available everywhere. Everyone gets the same stuff, there is a limited amount made once they are sold out they are sold out. It would cut down the confusion, more people would PROBABLY be willing to buy it rather than going "which CE is for my region and does it not get something?".

Just my 2 cents though.

What that article said primarily about the DLC is what I have been harping for weeks to no avail. It seems like none of the mods or admin types have been willing to address the sad fact that Ubi has chopped up the DLC in order to get a payday down the road.

SixKeys
07-20-2012, 12:55 AM
What that article said primarily about the DLC is what I have been harping for weeks to no avail. It seems like none of the mods or admin types have been willing to address the sad fact that Ubi has chopped up the DLC in order to get a payday down the road.

The mods or game devs don't get to play any part in the marketing decisions and it's only natural that they wouldn't diss their employer. It's the marketing department that needs to listen to the community's complaints.

SteelCity999
07-20-2012, 01:17 AM
The big problem the article brings up is the inclusion of "exclusive" missions that are being split up between every retailer they can sell to. I don't think it's really a big deal to hand out MP skins or individual weapons to people for preordering from certain places. They don't add extra gameplay to the game but merely change how it looks or maybe a little how it plays - like a minuscule amount. The missions on the otherhand actually add something to the game - they are minutes of gameplay, something tangible to do. Does everyone remember what happened after AC2 when we found out they sold us 2 DLC that were originally slated for the game? It's the same basic premise. And what's up with not having the option to buy just the new DLC piecemeal and only buy what you need? AC2 and AC:B both had DLC which I already owned where I seemingly paid for it twice - once in the CE and once with the DLC. I'm not even bothering with AC:R because we had the oh so wonderful Signature Edition that was just regular price anyway. The author also forgot to mention that PS3 owners are getting 4 SP missions as well? Yet, they have never said what missions they will be - only two have been announced. Like the author said, why is it so hard to just have one edition of gameplay? I could at least forgive alittle with differences in CE content if I knew the gameplay I was getting was the same for everyone.

Serrachio
07-20-2012, 01:27 AM
The big problem the article brings up is the inclusion of "exclusive" missions that are being split up between every retailer they can sell to. I don't think it's really a big deal to hand out MP skins or individual weapons to people for preordering from certain places. They don't add extra gameplay to the game but merely change how it looks or maybe a little how it plays - like a minuscule amount. The missions on the otherhand actually add something to the game - they are minutes of gameplay, something tangible to do. Does everyone remember what happened after AC2 when we found out they sold us 2 DLC that were originally slated for the game? It's the same basic premise. And what's up with not having the option to buy just the new DLC piecemeal and only buy what you need? AC2 and AC:B both had DLC which I already owned where I seemingly paid for it twice - once in the CE and once with the DLC. I'm not even bothering with AC:R because we had the oh so wonderful Signature Edition that was just regular price anyway. The author also forgot to mention that PS3 owners are getting 4 SP missions as well? Yet, they have never said what missions they will be - only two have been announced. Like the author said, why is it so hard to just have one edition of gameplay? I could at least forgive alittle with differences in CE content if I knew the gameplay I was getting was the same for everyone.

Well, when it comes to the AC2 debate, they did mention in a developer diary that they cut out Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities due to time constraints, but then continued working on them to make sure they were great. And since they were fun to play through, I can't really disagree with that.

And for some people, the MP characters do matter (and outfits for some), but I would say they come second to actual story content, and I think it would be better off if the 3 short memories were in one big bundle or just in the game.

Biomedical-Fire
07-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I am with Esco, where are the days when there was just the regular vanilla edition, middle of the road edition and the ultimate gotta have it editions? I agree with Gregolian, that is something that Activision gets right with the Call of Duty franchise along with some other companies. I'm not sure what kind of satisfaction that Ubi gets by making the different regions jealous of each other when it comes to the many different CE's that they put together. I think that everyone can agree that Ubi needs to sit down and think about giving all regions the same content whether it's DLC or Collector Edition's. The marketing teams need to ask all the fans in each of their franchise's collectively what they'd like to see in an CE and go from there.

Gregolian
07-20-2012, 01:56 AM
I still can't believe I complemented Activision and CoD when comparing them to Ubisoft. Shows how messed up this split up CE setup is.

Biomedical-Fire
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
I still can't believe I complemented Activision and CoD when comparing them to Ubisoft. Shows how messed up this split up CE setup is.
I don't think that Acti is a bad company as a whole as much as it's Bobby Kotick that makes the company look bad.

kriegerdesgottes
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Here is what I personally think the problem with that is and I could be wrong on this. If we all did indeed get an international CE. It probably wouldn't be very good. Then the whole world would likely get the same garbage we are being offered in the states because the European versions are clearly expensive and it's cheaper to distribute it to the Europeans then it would be to distribute something expensive to all 313 million people in America alone. I also have a suspicion that maybe CE's in general just don't sell as well in the states as they do in Europe for some reason and maybe that's why they don't bother going expensive in NA. I really don't know but those are the only two reasons that I can comprehend. I could be and probably am wrong.

SixKeys
07-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Here is what I personally think the problem with that is and I could be wrong on this. If we all did indeed get an international CE. It probably wouldn't be very good. Then the whole world would likely get the same garbage we are being offered in the states because the European versions are clearly expensive and it's cheaper to distribute it to the Europeans then it would be to distribute something expensive to all 313 million people in America alone. I also have a suspicion that maybe CE's in general just don't sell as well in the states as they do in Europe for some reason and maybe that's why they don't bother going expensive in NA. I really don't know but those are the only two reasons that I can comprehend. I could be and probably am wrong.

I disagree that the editions would have to lose quality just because they made them uniform. If it's possible for them to produce the same Connor figurine for the NA and European editions, then they could clearly make one international version with that item. The exclusion of George Washington's journal from the NA edition makes zero sense, it's just a book after all. They could have easily made the NA edition more similar to the European one by replacing the US flag with the journal. One less difference to worry about. That's the thing that gets the fans, I think: some of these edition changes just plain don't make any sense. I could understand it if it was the case that the special editions sold better in Europe and therefore it would make sense to only produce a limited amount of high quality content like the statues for Europeans only. But the fact that such a high quality, expensive-to-produce item was included in the NA edition as well while a LESS expensive item (the journal) was excluded just boggles the mind.

Biomedical-Fire
07-20-2012, 02:14 AM
I was reading the comments to that story Esco linked to and one person said that Ubi needs to rename Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Greed. I wholeheartedly I agree with that comment.

kriegerdesgottes
07-20-2012, 02:17 AM
I disagree that the editions would have to lose quality just because they made them uniform. If it's possible for them to produce the same Connor figurine for the NA and European editions, then they could clearly make one international version with that item. The exclusion of George Washington's journal from the NA edition makes zero sense, it's just a book after all. They could have easily made the NA edition more similar to the European one by replacing the US flag with the journal. One less difference to worry about. That's the thing that gets the fans, I think: some of these edition changes just plain don't make any sense. I could understand it if it was the case that the special editions sold better in Europe and therefore it would make sense to only produce a limited amount of high quality content like the statues for Europeans only. But the fact that such a high quality, expensive-to-produce item was included in the NA edition as well while a LESS expensive item (the journal) was excluded just boggles the mind.

yeah I guess that is true. Well I'm back to square one then.

Biomedical-Fire
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
It has been posted before, but take Gearbox for example, they asked the fans what would they like to see in an Collector's Edition for Borderlands 2 and after everyone added their input, then we got the Ultimate Loot Chest and the Deluxe Vault Hunter CE. Although the Loot Chest was $150USD, it sold out in about 4 days, so yes people are willing to spend the money on a quality CE if one is offered like Gearbox done with Borderlands 2. Then Gearbox done it again with Aliens: Colonial Marines, once again they are offering another quality CE IMHO.

EscoBlades
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I was reading the comments to that story Esco linked to and one person said that Ubi needs to rename Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Greed. I wholeheartedly I agree with that comment.

Haha, ouch!

Totally understandable why that conclusion would be drawn though, and i definitely don't blame them. One thing though, it seems that retailers hold a lot of sawy over such decisions. Not that it is an excuse for why Ubi have every edition under the sun, but yeah, thibnk about it....retailer X wants to make sure it gets the maximum preorder numbers and sales for a big title. So they lobby for some sort of eclusivity. I think Ubi just caters way too much to retailers than most publishers really.

pacmanate
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Honestly I have no Idea. I don't see why it is a problem to give every region the choice of the same editions. A standard, a "medium" and a "super" edition.

RedSpider
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Wish they wouldn't do things like this. I've missed out on so many extra parts of the AC series because I can't afford new consoles or books or special edition games :( It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the option for a version which had everything...

Biomedical-Fire
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
One of the things that I hate when Ubi releases DLC, they usually release the DLC that I already have separately which is okay, but then the ones that I don't have, they bundle them with those that I already have. The DaVinci Disappearance comes to mind along with the 3 Templar Lairs in ACII; Palazzo Medici, Santa Maria Dei Frari and Arsenal Shipyard. For those of us who bought the Master Assassin Edition we had to re-purchase Palazzo Medici and Santa Maria Dei Frari that came in the CE just to get the Arsenal Shipyard.

ShadownetX
07-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Ubisoft being silence about this problem do far for this many years mean they don't care about their fans at all when it come to us voicing our concern. Well you know what Ubisoft? I'm not buying another game from you until you fix this. Not even AC3. If you want be greedy people, then you won't get another cent of mine.

thekarlone
07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm agree. All the digital extras (levels, weapons, characters, etc) should be available for all editions of the game.

Lass4r
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Ubisoft being silence about this problem do far for this many years mean they don't care about their fans at all when it come to us voicing our concern. Well you know what Ubisoft? I'm not buying another game from you until you fix this. Not even AC3. If you want be greedy people, then you won't get another cent of mine.
Keep in mind that the developers are not the ones who make these decisions. There is a separate marketing team who deals with that, so it's a bit unfair to boycott the developers because of how the game is marketed.

VivoEstSomnio
07-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Here's what I think... and I very well could be wrong, but this is just my opinion.

I would love for there to be different editions of the game, but for it to be available in all regions and through all retailers. For example, while I don't care too much for the Halo series anymore, I do appreciate the different editions they make available. There's a clear representation between what you get and how much money it will cost you. I've seen many people on the Internet state that they would've loved the journal in the EU/UK versions out here in the United States, and I completely agree.

One thing that I've been wondering, and this is just on my own with zero inside information, is if they conduct a survey in each region to gauge what the masses would want/enjoy out of a Limited/Collectors Edition. Maybe the majority didn't want something like a journal and preferred the flag. Obviously we'll never be privy to something like that, but it's worth considering rather than automatically assuming things are just a money grab or that they don't care as much about fans in certain regions of the world. If Ubisoft did conduct surveys like that, I'd applaud them for going the extra mile and seeing just what their fanbase would be happiest with.

That being said, and going back to my previous paragraph, I really would enjoy a region-free edition where we'd get all of the cool shinies like the flag, the Connor statue, the journal, etc. I think something like that would really go a long way with the community, and people would definitely pre-order it. I do disagree with making certain DLC available through individual retailers, as I think it should all be packaged together, but I can understand why it's done. With the economy being the way that it is, retailers are needing to bust out the big guns to ensure that they get those pre-orders and sales. I worked at two local Gamestops for a total of 4 years, making my way up to Assistant Manager, so I can tell you all, having experienced it, that pre-orders are a pretty big deal.

So yeah.. TL;DR, I'd love to see a couple of available editions in terms of price level and goodies but made for all countries/regions.

BATISTABUS
07-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I haven't been complaining about the way editions work much since I'm very happy with our Limited Edition (as it's the best one we've received since ACII, and debatably at all), but I do have quite a few problems with the whole process. I will break down my gripes into a few categories.

Downloadable Content/Exclusive Content

Day one DLC is especially aggravating to gamers in general. If the missions are already completed, why aren't we just getting them with the game? It feels extremely manipulative. Hell, a player can't even get every DLC mission upon pre-order since different missions are divided between different stores and editions. To top it off, Ubisoft decides to release an awesome new DLC mission that comes with a bunch of other bonus content...including some (or all) of the pre-order DLC missions. It's lose-lose for players; either you paid for the same content twice, or you had to wait half a year to get something other players got just from buying from a particular location. This doesn't even include console-exclusive pre-order missions and content (See: Blatant PS3 favoritism even though the Xbox 360 sells more copies). Include the DLC for everyone, or don't include it at all. This goes for beta testing as well.

Multiple Editions in the Same Region

Why have multiple editions that aren't vastly different in the same region? Isn't this just more work for the company? Don't they have to pay more people to come up with more content? This just confuses players and limits inventory in a strange way. Even if one of the versions is cheaper, what is convincing players to buy the cheaper versions if they'll receive less content? I would think that if someone was willing to go for a collectors edition, they'd buy the best version (as long as it wasn't drastically more expensive, which hasn't been the case). Again, this just limits customers content and generally creates more confusion for everyone.

Different Editions Across Different Regions

I feel like this problem is mostly due to misconceptions on the side of the marketing teams. They feel like one region (America) won't appreciate the same type of content that another (Europe or Asia) does. This is the same thing cartoon/anime dubbing companies often do; they'll dumb things down and "naturalize" (Americanize) them, because they feel like viewers won't appreciate the product otherwise. This is simply not true. This type of marketing is offensive and based on assumed stereotypes. With how the internet works nowadays, people can (and largely will) import region-exclusive products from all around the world. These type of products include various types of media, figurines, clothing, and even video games.

It goes without saying that these differences create tension and anger within the fan base towards other regions and Ubisoft itself. Signs seem to point to the demand being there, even if Ubisoft refuses to believe it. Regardless, if the team thinks a feature will sell well in one region but not in another, it just shouldn't be included at all. If a special feature embodies the franchise well, fans should appreciate it regardless of geography.

Soundtrack Discs

Just becomes something is put into a collectors edition and considered exclusive, that doesn't mean it's a good bonus. What frustrated me the most about previous AC collectors editions (on the North American side) were the soundtrack discs. These discs were not CDs; they were DVDs or Blu-Rays that could only be played on your game console. You couldn't bun the songs to your computer or listen to them in a CD player. What is the point of this? Why not just include a regular CD? Wouldn't that be cheaper to produce, along with being an all around better bonus?

The disc didn't even include the entire soundtrack. Why include an incomplete soundtrack? Why should we have to purchase the soundtrack from another source if we were promised it in the collectors edition?

The Ideal (REASONABLE) Collectors Edition Template

The ideal AC Collectors Edition should be THE EXACT SAME (besides language) ACROSS ALL REGIONS, RETAILERS, AND PLATFORMS. Price should be applied appropriately as well. There should only be two versions of the game available for purchase; vanilla (only the game) and the collectors edition.

This special edition should include the following:

-a collector's box or tin. Not made of cardboard. The container should be able to hold everything.
-a figure. If this figure is a statue of a human or human-like character, it should be around 9" and be relevant to the game. The quality should be comparable to that of the figures we've received in collectors editions up until this point. Something like the Jack-in-the-Box that came with Brotherhood or a replica of a weapon would suffice.
-an art book. Should contain concept art, development images, backgrounds, and any other relevant content. The book should contain around 50 pages (counting the backs of pages...they should be similar to the North American art books for AC1-Brotherhood), in color, printed on good quality paper, and have a shiny, hard cover.
-an extra PHYSICAL object. This could be anything ranging form an accessory, to another book, to an exclusive poster (decent size), to a flag, and so on.
-digital (computer) content. This includes the FULL soundtrack in MP3 form, a special movie (Embers), and/or behind the scenes interviews and videos. A lifetime pass to download all future DLC for free would also be acceptable.

This collectors edition SHOULD NOT include the following:

-extra in-game missions. If these missions are finished by the time the game is released, they should just be included as part of the game (even in the vanilla version).
-capacity upgrades
-extra multiplayer characters (same reasoning as in-game missions)
-extra maps (multiplayer or otherwise, same reasoning as above)
-extra weapons, armor, equipment, or costumes (same as above)

So, yeah. That's all I have in me for now. I may return and edit a few things, but I've been meaning to express this for a while.

TheFrontLine
07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
I couldn't help but think of TotalBiscuit's rant on Mass Effect 3 whilst reading parts of your post, and I agree wholeheartedly. Any in-game content created before release date should be included with the vanilla game.

DarkSolitude-X
07-21-2012, 12:51 PM
This whole thread is the reason why I never get special editions. It's food for the criminally stupid. I'm going get the standard edition, and wait till all this dlc stuff is available to buy online.

I wonder if you tape a CEO's eyes in slow mo... if their eyes do, in fact, burst out of their skull with all the dollar signs. hmm

Biomedical-Fire
07-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I haven't been complaining about the way editions work much since I'm very happy with our Limited Edition (as it's the best one we've received since ACII, and debatably at all), but I do have quite a few problems with the whole process. I will break down my gripes into a few categories.

Downloadable Content/Exclusive Content

Day one DLC is especially aggravating to gamers in general. If the missions are already completed, why aren't we just getting them with the game? It feels extremely manipulative. Hell, a player can't even get every DLC mission upon pre-order since different missions are divided between different stores and editions. To top it off, Ubisoft decides to release an awesome new DLC mission that comes with a bunch of other bonus content...including some (or all) of the pre-order DLC missions. It's lose-lose for players; either you paid for the same content twice, or you had to wait half a year to get something other players got just from buying from a particular location. This doesn't even include console-exclusive pre-order missions and content (See: Blatant PS3 favoritism even though the Xbox 360 sells more copies). Include the DLC for everyone, or don't include it at all.

Multiple Editions in the Same Region

Why have multiple editions that aren't vastly different in the same region? Isn't this just more work for the company? Don't they have to pay more people to come up with more content? This just confuses players and limits inventory in a strange way. Even if one of the versions is cheaper, what is convincing players to buy the cheaper versions if they'll receive less content? I would think that if someone was willing to go for a collectors edition, they'd buy the best version (as long as it wasn't drastically more expensive, which hasn't been the case). Again, this just limits customers content and generally creates more confusion for everyone.

Different Editions Across Different Regions

I feel like this problem is mostly due to misconceptions on the side of the marketing teams. They feel like one region (America) won't appreciate the same type of content that another (Europe or Asia) does. This is the same thing cartoon/anime dubbing companies often do; they'll dumb things down and "naturalize" (Americanize) them, because they feel like viewers won't appreciate the product otherwise. This is simply not true. This type of marketing is offensive and based on assumed stereotypes. With how the internet works nowadays, people can (and largely will) import region-exclusive products from all around the world. These type of products include various types of media, figurines, clothing, and even video games.

It goes without saying that these differences create tension and anger within the fan base towards other regions and Ubisoft itself. Signs seem to point to the demand being there, even if Ubisoft refuses to believe it. Regardless, if the team thinks a feature will sell well in one region but not in another, it just shouldn't be included at all. If a special feature embodies the franchise well, fans should appreciate it regardless of geography.

Soundtrack Discs

Just becomes something is put into a collectors edition and considered exclusive, that doesn't mean it's a good bonus. What frustrated me the most about previous AC collectors editions (on the North American side) were the soundtrack discs. These discs were not CDs; they were DVDs or Blu-Rays that could only be played on your game console. You couldn't bun the songs to your computer or listen to them in a CD player. What is the point of this? Why not just include a regular CD? Wouldn't that be cheaper to produce, along with being an all around better bonus?

The disc didn't even include the entire soundtrack. Why include an incomplete soundtrack? Why should we have to purchase the soundtrack from another source if we were promised it in the collectors edition?

The Ideal (REASONABLE) Collectors Edition Template

The ideal AC Collectors Edition should be THE EXACT SAME (besides language) ACROSS ALL REGIONS, RETAILERS, AND PLATFORMS. Price should be applied appropriately as well. There should only be two versions of the game available for purchase; vanilla (only the game) and the collectors edition.

This special edition should include the following:

-a collector's box or tin. Not made of cardboard. The container should be able to hold everything.
-a figure. If this figure is a statue of a human or human-like character, it should be around 9" and be relevant to the game. The quality should be comparable to that of the figures we've received in collectors editions up until this point.
-an art book. Should contain concept art, development images, backgrounds, and any other relevant content. The book should contain around 50 pages (give or take), in color, printed on good quality paper, and have a shiny, hard cover.
-an extra PHYSICAL object. This could be anything ranging form an accessory, to another book, to an exclusive poster (decent size), to a flag, and so on.
-digital (computer) content. This includes the FULL soundtrack in MP3 form, a special movie (Embers), and/or behind the scenes interviews and videos. A lifetime pass to download all future DLC for free would also be acceptable.

This collectors edition SHOULD NOT include the following:

-extra in-game missions. If these missions are finished by the time the game is released, they should just be included as part of the game (even in the vanilla version).
-capacity upgrades
-extra multiplayer characters (same reasoning as in-game missions)
-extra maps (multiplayer or otherwise, same reasoning as above)
-extra weapons, armor, equipment, or costumes (same as above)

So, yeah. That's all I have in me for now. I may return and edit a few things, but I've been meaning to express this for a while.Eloquently put BATISTABUS, I couldn't have said it better myself. Though we have differing opinions about the current CE, the flag I can live with, but the belt buckle could've been left out and replaced with something like the GW Journal or they could've put it into something along the lines of an Join or Die equivalent. Other than that I couldn't agree more with everything else that you said in your post. Well done!