PDA

View Full Version : French comic trilogy - Due out Sept 18, 2012 in English

SteelCity999
07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere, but weren't these the same ones that were available only in French? There are three books in all - all hardcover.http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Desmond-Eric-Corbeyran/dp/1781163405/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

kriegerdesgottes
07-17-2012, 01:20 AM
It's about time. They aren't totally canon though so I probably won't get it anyway

Locopells
07-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Wasn't there a Roman assassin mixed in with the french comics?

Turul.
07-17-2012, 05:16 AM
is it written in french? lol

im3jia
07-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Wasn't there a Roman assassin mixed in with the french comics?

Yes, there was a Roman Assassin. His name was Aquilus, isn't that the same name as Connor's ship/ Naval cosume?

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Aquilus

ProletariatPleb
07-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Yes, there was a Roman Assassin. His name was Aquilus, isn't that the same name as Connor's ship/ Naval cosume?

Yeah that's the name of the ship as well.
But the books he's shown..look...different.

SevketErhat
07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I would not mind getting it as an Assassin's Creed collector

im3jia
07-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I would not mind getting it as an Assassin's Creed collector

You can pre-order the three of them for $29.85. And they're hardcover too.

SevketErhat
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
You can pre-order the three of them for $29.85. And they're hardcover too.
I will. Thanks

Locopells
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Thought so. And yes, it is - I noticed that when they first brought up the navel bit. Even if the Desmond bits aren't canon, at least the Roman bits would be cool to see.

LightRey
07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
It pretty much contradicts the canon on several key aspects, so it's definitely not in any way part of the AC universe, no. That doesn't mean it isn't interesting or enjoyable though.

MasterSimaYi
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
It pretty much contradicts the canon on several key aspects, so it's definitely not in any way part of the AC universe, no. That doesn't mean it isn't interesting or enjoyable though.

Aquilus is very much a part of the AC universe, nothing contradicts his existence and his existence is also acknowledged in the Encyclopedia. It is only the modern day storyline of the French comics that is contradictory to what is shown in the games, and thus not canon. Aquilus and Accipiter etc. do exist in the main AC universe, but their memories were not relived by Desmond Miles and Jonathan Hawk respectively as shown in the comic.

Also, the character is named Aquilus while Connor's ship is called Aquila.

And I also find it a bit weird how it says "trilogy" while the third issue had an open ending, showing a photo of an Egyptian pyramid and Jonathan noting that this would be were his journey will lead him next. Maybe a new trilogy starts.

LightRey
07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Aquilus is very much a part of the AC universe, nothing contradicts his existence and his existence is also acknowledged in the Encyclopedia. It is only the modern day storyline of the French comics that is contradictory to what is shown in the games, and thus not canon. Aquilus and Accipiter etc. do exist in the main AC universe, but their memories were not relived by Desmond Miles and Jonathan Hawk respectively as shown in the comic.

And I also find it a bit weird how it says "trilogy" while the third issue had an open ending, showing a photo of an Egyptian pyramid and Jonathan noting that this would be were his journey will lead him next. Maybe a new trilogy starts.
Thing is though there has yet to be a direct reference to Aquilus in any of the canon sources, so I see no reason to assume any aspect of him is actually canon.

MasterSimaYi
07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Thing is though there has yet to be a direct reference to Aquilus in any of the canon sources, so I see no reason to assume any aspect of him is actually canon.

As I said, the Encyclopedia. The Encyclopedia has no non-canon information from non-canon sources.

And also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoVHSVaMAg

There is nothing that contradicts Aquilus' existence, thus he is not outside of the main canon.

Chariflame
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Curses, I tracked down all the French copies and translated them for nothing!

Will be interesting to see, though. The art is nice and the ancestor sections have been acknowledged as canon... just the Desmond parts are very, very strange. (Mostly with Subject 16 being radically different and alive.)

SixKeys
07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Curses, I tracked down all the French copies and translated them for nothing!

Will be interesting to see, though. The art is nice and the ancestor sections have been acknowledged as canon... just the Desmond parts are very, very strange. (Mostly with Subject 16 being radically different and alive.)

Wasn't his name Michael in the French comics?

kriegerdesgottes
07-18-2012, 07:18 PM

That isn't totally true. Only parts of the Aquilus story are Canon. For example in those comics, subject 16 is some guy named michael. Ubisoft Canonized some aspects of the French comics but not the whole thing.

MasterSimaYi
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
That isn't totally true. Only parts of the Aquilus story are Canon. For example in those comics, subject 16 is some guy named michael. Ubisoft Canonized some aspects of the French comics but not the whole thing.

Which is what I said...

Chariflame
07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Wasn't his name Michael in the French comics?

Yeah. He didn't die after his, uh... finger painting episode, and was instead sent to a psychiatric hospital and forgotten. He murders his way out, finds the escaped Lucy and Desmond, and demands that he's the one who should be in the Animus, that it's his rightful place. I think they beat him up and tell him to get a grip, they really do not care for him at all.

im3jia
10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm having second thoughts about getting these now. I can cancel my pre-order from amazon (I think), but I want to know if they're worth the read. I can just read them off the wiki or on the encyclopedia anyways too.

What are your thoughts on the comics guys?