PDA

View Full Version : No Native Americans Story stuff?

Taffy_17
07-16-2012, 01:58 AM
We've been seen a lot of revolutionary war footage/game play but is anyone interested in finding out how the Natives Americans fit into the story?

Surely the oppression of the native tribes and Europeans stealing the native's land should affect Connor since he is a half native and been raised as a native just as much as, if not more than, the fighting of foreigners who have taken his home from him?

It just seems like this side of the story has been ignored in favour of the american revolution and IMO it would be far more interesting and appropriate for Connor to be prioritising his own native people first.

Anyone agree with me and want to find out more about this?

On a separate note wasn't the Mohawk tribe aligned with the British during this time period?

Assassin_M
07-16-2012, 02:01 AM
1-The Revolution is the main back-story.
2-The oppression will be shown and it is the motivation for Connor to join the Assassins.
3-Connor`s priorities lies with the Assassin goal and Justice in general.
4-Yes for final comment.

We haven't seen all the trailers and gameplay yet.

Serrachio
07-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Certain Native American tribes were allied with the Loyalists, whereas other tribes were allied with the Colonists.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
It just seems like this side of the story has been ignored in favour of the american revolutionIn the marketing? Absolutely. The marketing for AC3 is heavily US-biased with almost no room for any criticism of the colonies, portraying the myth version of the Revolution many Americans love to believe in.

As for the actual game though, I believe they will absolutely show a fair portrayal of some of the issues during the Revolution and Native Americans' role in it. Doubt they would ignore it after hiring Native consultants on the game.

On a separate note wasn't the Mohawk tribe aligned with the British during this time period?Yes. Some individuals aligned with the Colonists, but in general Mohawk were aligned with the Crown.

Calvarok
07-16-2012, 05:29 AM
In fairness, criticisms against the colonies would be difficult to portray in a way that doesn't break the flow of the trailer. It seems to me that the redcoats will be the main adversaries for as long as they're in the game (I believe the revolution ends halfway through) and the revolution is the main backdrop that people would know about, so the marketing is set in that time. I do believe that it's all mainly been set from the "american" perspective, but I also think that that's the side we'll be most involved with and knowledgable about in the game, seeing as the redcoats come from elsewhere.

Yes, they probably could have showcased the duality more. But the AC marketing has never really been a good representation of the game's themes. It's been more of a bunch of awesome combat and stealth missions and showcasings of many new features. If all you watched for all of the games (besides brotherhood and revelations) was the marketing/walkthoughs and stuff, you would have no idea what the main themes or characters or story beats were. I expected both AC1 and AC2 to be very different from what they were. AC1 seemed to have a pro-arabic bias to me from the marketing, but Altair picked off people from both sides. I thought that Ezio was fully indoctrinated into the order a lot quicker than he was in the game, and I had no idea that he was fueled by revenge for the entire game, or how many places he would visit.

In all honesty, it does make sense for the assassin to be more focused on the side that wins the war, does it not? This game isn't going to end at the rise of america, so it stands to reason that the rise of america is not treated as the end of all problems and the best thing ever. The patriotic tone of the trailers can be interpreted as being sincere, or slightly cynical. Scenes of brutality set to a child singing the anthem, a symbol of naivety contrasted with the reality of violence and war. I think the idea of american patriotism will take on a somewhat bleak tone throughout the course of the game.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
In all honesty, it does make sense for the assassin to be more focused on the side that wins the war, does it not?Hmmm, not really. They don't have the historic perspective and our knowledge how things ended up. So it can't be a storytelling argument "well, eventually USA won and so much great stuff came from that". It's totally ok if the Assassins support the colonies due to their goals at that time or their evaluation of the Colonist side as the 'more right'. But it must be based in the context of their time, not 2012.

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I heard somewhere that some Native Americans will be enemies too.

Locopells
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Figures.

TheHumanTowel
07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I heard somewhere that some Native Americans will be enemies too.
Hopefully fighting them will be a big point of confliction for Connor as I think one of his main goals is getting justice for his Native American people.

xray_4
07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Hmmm, not really. They don't have the historic perspective and our knowledge how things ended up. So it can't be a storytelling argument "well, eventually USA won and so much great stuff came from that". It's totally ok if the Assassins support the colonies due to their goals at that time or their evaluation of the Colonist side as the 'more right'. But it must be based in the context of their time, not 2012.

Something I noticed yesterday playing AC 2 was a slide in one of 16's files he had left was George Washington having the apple in 1781. I think this is the reason the assassins are in the US and has me wondering if GW is an assassin himself (probably not). Would be an interesting twist if so. Also isn't the big temple suppose to be somewhere near New York? It is possible there was more to that war than the public ever knew, in the game that is.

BBALive
07-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Something I noticed yesterday playing AC 2 was a slide in one of 16's files he had left was George Washington having the apple in 1781. I think this is the reason the assassins are in the US and has me wondering if GW is an assassin himself (probably not). Would be an interesting twist if so. Also isn't the big temple suppose to be somewhere near New York? It is possible there was more to that war than the public ever knew, in the game that is.

He'll be a Templar, if anything.

medcsu
07-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Connor is half Native so I think it's very safe to say there will be a good backstory on this aspect. Besides, there are pictures of him as a boy so, again, pretty safe to say we will delve into that. How much is up in the air but I'm sure Ubisoft will treat AC3 as they did AC2 in regards to 1-2 follow ups to conclude the series that still encompass AC3 (ie: Brotherhood/Revelations).