PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think Connor is generic?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Okay, so I am surfing YouTube, checking some AC III gameplay, and some people are saying Connor is ''generic'' or ''lacks charm''
I dont get it, so when somebody is not accented, he has no ''charm''?
Can somebody explain?

Timeaus
07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
It's youtube dude, majority of them are ignorant.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Still, I found it not on just YT, but it seems any character without some sort of accent is ''generic'' I mean, we have seen only 8 minutes...

ProletariatPleb
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
They're 'people' they don't think >_>

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Well yeah, but still, I find it odd. I see many people saying ''Oh Ezio was better and ''He lacks charm, no personallity'' comments being thrown around.
My theory is the following: the accent.
Now a days, many characters have the same American accent, what lead people too believe any character with it one is more generic than one with a unique accent.

WolfTemplar94
07-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey, at least he isn't voiced by Nolan North -_-

xChupa
07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Hey, at least he isn't voiced by Nolan North -_-
... but Desmond is

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Desmond is....xD
Nolan North is everybody, and all of us.

Timeaus
07-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Well to be fair, he has been desmond from the start so it would be kinda odd to replace him now.

LoyalACFan
07-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, to be fair, if you don't know his backstory, he could come across as a little bland. We've only seen him speak maybe thirty seconds of dialogue so far. But it's pretty stupid to be jumping to conclusions this early.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Why would he come across a little bland?
I would like to know.

WolfTemplar94
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Desmond is....xD
Nolan North is everybody, and all of us.

I know :D Although, he wasn't as overused when he started as Desmond, so it's ok.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
But still, the guy is a very solid voice actor. I cannot imagine another Desmond.

D.I.D.
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
They're misusing the word "generic" of course, but you can tell that what they mean is that they feel the character is flat or indistinct. It's because they haven't seen his story yet, and they're still attached to the last character. See what they're saying by November, I suspect it'll be a different reaction then.

Felix-Vivo
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
But still, the guy is a very solid voice actor. I cannot imagine another Desmond.

This is why I don't want the film to be about Desmond... it ain't Desmond without Nolan North.

TheHumanTowel
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I think you're taking too much significance from these comments. You'll always find people complaining about stuff like that on the internet, particularly on sites like youtube and IGN where the commenters are all kids. I've never heard that complaint before and it's never been expressed here.

SixKeys
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
We haven't even seen Connor speak more than a few lines. We know next to nothing about him besides his background. And people are already making judgments about his character?

dxsxhxcx
07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
They're misusing the word "generic" of course, but you can tell that what they mean is that they feel the character is flat or indistinct. It's because they haven't seen his story yet, and they're still attached to the last character. See what they're saying by November, I suspect it'll be a different reaction then.

this. Also if the AC3 ancestor was supposed to have the same personality as Ezio, we should just continue with Ezio in a different place instead of create another ancestor, people need to learn that this isn't a game about only one ancestor... if these people want someone that look like Ezio they should go play as him in AC2/B/R...

rileypoole1234
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah never pay attention to anybody on YouTube, EVER. Unless you know them or they're highly respected, they're usually not ever going to say anything you'd like to hear.

kudos17
07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
This is why I don't want the film to be about Desmond... it ain't Desmond without Nolan North.

I LIKE YOU, YOU UNDERSTAND ;) If anyone but Nolan North is Desmond, I will cry tears of fansadness...

Anyway, I think people just want over-the-top charm of people like Ezio. I personally find mysterious characters like Altair far more engaging, even if they seem "bland" at first. Perhaps that's just because I have a more secluded personality like him, though :p Quiet people tend to like quiet people, and all that...

I think Connor is an improvement on Altair (in AC1). I like that he speaks only when necessary, and what he doesn't say is just as important as what he does. That alone makes him feel more awesome than Ezio could ever be (at least at the same age), IMO.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyway, I think people just want over-the-top charm of people like Ezio. I personally find mysterious characters like Altair far more engaging, even if they seem "bland" at first.
This. It's much easier to "sell" a big archetype in short trailers than a restrained character that doesn't go along all the cinematic cliches the audience loves

BATISTABUS
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Never heard that. Everyone I know thinks Connor is awesome. Besides, it's too soon to write him off like that.

Felix-Vivo
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I LIKE YOU, YOU UNDERSTAND ;) If anyone but Nolan North is Desmond, I will cry tears of fansadness...

TRUTHFULNESS.
I can't picture that 'Hey, wassa-matta-you, Altair?' exchange being done by anybody else :')

Sushiglutton
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I suppose it's because he seems more silent and serious than the more flamboyant Ezio. Personally I don't have a strong opinion yet as we know almost nothing about him. I'm leaning slightly towards liking Ezio a bit more.

infamous_ezio
07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
IMO it's because it's a new assassin. For example, when i first heard of AC2 and that it was coming out soon, i did my research and found out it was going to be an italian assassin, i was like "dafuq is this?!?!?!" i hated the idea of it. But, when i came to play it, i loved Ezio, much more then altair. Ezio was amazing and we had a huge connection with his character throughout his triology. Truth it, as soon as people get their hands on AC3 they will most likely love connor, it's a good change, ubisoft went in the right direction. People who say "connor is generic", simple, their stupid.

Aphex_Tim
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I know :D Although, he wasn't as overused when he started as Desmond, so it's ok.

I only know him as Desmond Miles and Nathan Drake but i'm hearing a lot of people talking about how he's overused.
What more characters does he voice?

JCearlyyears
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXA1ISDsHVA&feature=player_detailpage

notafanboy
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I only know him as Desmond Miles and Nathan Drake but i'm hearing a lot of people talking about how he's overused.
What more characters does he voice?

penguin in arkham city... oh and about the people on youtube saying this or that, let me just tell you guys one thing... people are stupid, we just have to live with it

DinoSteve1
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I think people find characters without accents breaks the realism of games, and I agree he should have a native American accent.

BRANDONxPRODIGY
07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
a young, half native american half english male that could take on armies by the hundreds in the 18th century, and he has barely left his adolescence. thats not very generic, people are just idiots or trolls

Felix-Vivo
07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
a young, half native american half english male that could take on armies by the hundreds in the 18th century, and he has barely left his adolescence. thats not very generic, people are just idiots or trolls

He is still adolescent in the Boston demo, only 18 XD

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, the fact that everyone (including Ubisoft) uses Connor name certainly doesn't help. It may be smaller detail, but nonetheless one of the things that is absolutely not generic about him (his real name) gets immediately neglected for the sake of "everyone's lazy and won't even bother learning a name that's not typical or easy to pronounce for western culture".

dbuddy101
07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I think you're taking too much significance from these comments. You'll always find people complaining about stuff like that on the internet, particularly on sites like youtube and IGN where the commenters are all kids. I've never heard that complaint before and it's never been expressed here. This right here pretty much sums up how you should go about these things. The people on the forums are they people you should trust, because they are the ones who are following the game and know what they are talking about. Youtube, they could have only played one or two games and thought that they didn't like the idea of a character who isn't Ezio, or just think that his character is currently mysterious, so they assume he is "generic" or lacking. If I remember the AC 2 pre release train (as I like to call the time where the developers promoted the game with trailers and such), much wasn't known about Ezio. He seemed just as mysterious, so we didn't know much about him. People would accuse Ezio of the same problems, due to us not yet experiencing the character. We can't really make accusations like that without either proof from Devs or until the game is in our hands.

dbuddy101
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, the fact that everyone (including Ubisoft) uses Connor name certainly doesn't help. It may be smaller detail, but nonetheless one of the things that is absolutely not generic about him (his real name) gets immediately neglected for the sake of "everyone's lazy and won't even bother learning a name that's not typical for western culture". I personally love his actual name, I just have no idea if I can spell it constantly, especially considering that his name has symbols that my computer can't create.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, the fact that everyone (including Ubisoft) uses Connor name certainly doesn't help. It may be smaller detail, but nonetheless one of the things that is absolutely not generic about him (his real name) gets immediately neglected for the sake of "everyone's lazy and won't even bother learning a name that's not typical or easy to pronounce for western culture".

I can certainly agree. In this series, all of the names have been not western (???) as in Altair, Ezio....
Why go with Connor?
But I guess it has some story relevance, so he can blend with the Colonies better.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
But I guess it has some story relevance, so he can blend with the Colonies better.Yeah, but in the end, with have a guy who was raised in the Mohawk culture, likely only by his mother and who is said to fight for Native Americans primarily, trying to help their future in the war. Would a guy like that identify with the Connor name more and peffer to be called like that? No way.

It's just clear servicing to lazy Western audience. Unfortunate, especially in the context of how Native Americans were given English names as one of many means of 'civilizing' them and erasing their own culture

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 10:21 PM
The name isn't hard too memorize really, hear it once and it is stuck in your head.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
The name isn't hard too memorize really, hear it once and it is stuck in your head.

It may not be very easy for Western audience, but it ain't THAT hard. After few times, I remember the spelling easily and pronounciation ain't that hard either. They could've easily pushed for this name and fans would learn it after hearing it couple times, but they went the easy way. But I ain't surprised considering how much the Ubisoft marketing seem to care about historic/cultural details (as in absolutely not) as opposed to real developers who show much more concern and respect

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Yep, ads such as hunt down the Redcoats in the street of Boston certainly did not help....
I personally, reading it, found it a tad bit hard, heard it once and could pronounce it every time.