PDA

View Full Version : AC Movie Progress- To star Michael Fassbender

lukaszep
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Source- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a392371/michael-fassbender-to-star-in-produce-assassins-creed-movie.html (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a392371/michael-fassbender-to-star-in-produce-assassins-creed-movie.html)

So it sounds like Michael Fassbender will be playing the lead role, and potentially the Assassin. This is great news to me as he is currently one of the best popular actors at the moment.
http://i2.cdnds.net/12/22/300x225/movies_prometheus_world_premiere_6.jpg

There is still a long way to go for this movie to be made though. It's interesting that it is no longer tied to a studio (could be creative differences, money or script problems or a combination. Perhaps studios didn't feel it was the right "climate"/time in the market for an AC film). Instead the project is going to be developed independently and will then seek a studio and distribution partnership. Films created in this process are notorious for taking a long time to be made and often never do get made. But luckily with Michael Fassbender tied to it (which is a guarantee for a box office success for a studio) it will soon be picked up.

I wouldn't expect a large amount of news on the topic until the end of this year at the earliest, and a year at least before it gets greenlit to go into production (if it even makes it that far).

EDIT: FROM ORIGINAL VARIETY ARTICLE

"Michael Fassbender was our first choice" to play the franchise's iconic hooded hero, said Jean-Julien Baronnet, CEO of Paris-based Ubisoft Motion Pictures. "Michael (Fassbender) is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor."

From this we can assume he will be playing the historic Assassin. No word on Modern day story line.

Ubisoft execs now plan to stick to their initial plan and develop the film independently in order to maintain greater creative control. Last year, Ubisoft invested in launching UMP, headed by Baronnet, former CEO of Luc Besson's EuropaCorp, to adapt the company's games into films, TV shows and digital projects.
While Sony could still wind up distribing the films, UMP will package the project with a writer and director before resuming talks with the studio.

A smart move from Ubisoft. Although it surely means the film will take a lot longer to develop. There's little doubt in my mind that Sony will distribute the film, seeing as Ubisoft and Sony already have a close association.
UMP will likely pitch the developed project with their potential cast (with confirmed Fassbender at the head of the deal) and a Director and Writer on board. While this does give Ubisoft much more creative control, most studios will submit the script to numerous rewrites by resident producers and writers, which could lead to a lot of issues with Ubisoft developing the project.

Ubisoft also is looking to raise financing for the tentpole through foreign presales and co-production deals, which again could again involve Sony.

This speaks for itself. A game (either complete tie in or just with links to the film) are highly likely, especially if Sony becomes the distributer. Ubisoft, by developing the project themselves and seeking a lot of funding and co-production deals to lower costs for the studio, meaning Ubisoft will be trusted and left with more control on the project.

"Whatever the financial model, UMP will
limit its risk investment," and will save on production costs by turning to its 26 in-house game studios like Hybride Technologies, to handle visual effects work, Baronnet said.

So discuss.

TheHumanTowel
07-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Well this is very good news. Great choice but whoever is playing the Assassin is still a crucial casting. I'll wait till when I hear that before I get excited about this.

FirestarLuva
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
So he will play both Desmond and Altair? Awesome! Finally an Assassin's Creed movie! <3

WolfTemplar94
07-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sounds fake to me. Fassbender is one of my favourite actors, but he isn't right for Desmond. How are we supposed to believe he has an Arabic relative, along with an Italian and an American Indian one.

FirestarLuva
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Well this is very good news. Great choice but whoever is playing the Assassin is still a crucial casting. I'll wait till when I hear that before I get excited about this.

You can definetly expect Kristen Bell as Lucy since she's both the voice and the model for her and a talented actress. :)

TheHumanTowel
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
So is this just an adaption of the first AC game? I'd kinda like it to be an original story. We already know all the plot twists.

playassassins1
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't really like the idea of having him play both Desmond and The Assassin.
But i guess we can only wait and see..

MT4K
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Not sure i like the idea of them doing both the Crusades and the Renaisance. They really should focus on a single setting with a film.

ShaneO7K
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Rsndz19
07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Hummmm variety has also reported on this but they say nothing on having the two time periods on the film here's the link http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056333

zerocooll21
07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Sweet, love Fassbender.

JCearlyyears
07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Lol I actually thought that Francisco Randez should have to lip-synch to Nolan North's voice. That'd be hilarious.

zerocooll21
07-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Lol I actually thought that Francisco Randez should have to lip-synch to Nolan North's voice. That'd be hilarious.

HA! That would be pretty funny.

Legendz54
07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
This guy doesn't look anything like Desmond or any of the assassins :( he may have the great acting skills but they have to get as close to the game as they can get. Hope this is not true.

lukaszep
07-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Variety was the original source.
There is no word on if it is an adaption or original movie. No plot details are discussed, and the article mentions the production company will choose the scriptwriter and director themselves. I'm sure they are in negotiations with writers but I highly doubt there is any written material yet.

They may not even use the Animus concept, but my guess is, if there is a present story line, Fassbender will play both the modern protagonist and past Assassin.

To everyone who is commenting on his appearance not being similar to Desmond, can you please read the article. No where does it say he is playing Desmond. (I admit I did originally put in the first post he was playing Desmond, but that was a mistake. Guess I got carried away in the excitement :D)

zerocooll21
07-09-2012, 02:10 PM
This guy doesn't look anything like Desmond or any of the assassins :( he may have the great acting skills but they have to get as close to the game as they can get. Hope this is not true.

Acting Skills far out weighs looks...

EscoBlades
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Fassbender is a good choice if you ask me. And he can be made to look like anyone....some of you act like you've never watched movies before, lol

To everyone who is commenting on his appearance not being similar to Desmond, can you please read the article. No where does it say he is playing Desmond. (I admit I did originally put in the first post he was playing Desmond, but that was a mistake. Guess I got carried away in the excitement http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png)

Actually....

Plot revolves around a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar, and sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts."Michael Fassbender was our first choice" to play the franchise's iconic hooded hero, said Jean-Julien Baronnet,

With Ubisoft at the helm, you can be **** well sure that is the role of Desmond.

lukaszep
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
That part of the article, I believe is referring to the AC franchise (as in the already released games). The article is describing the premise for the franchise, the plot details are not from UMP. It's extremely unlikely any details regarding plot would be released at this stage.

I would have to disagree that it is certain they will use Desmond. When first announcing plans of an AC film, a statement said about maintaining the franchise integrity. By creating an original film they can be certain it won't turn into an awful movie based on a game.
Also, Ubisoft knows Desmond is not a well liked character by the fans of the game. Although the film is not made for the fans of the games (no way would that earn enough money), it is unlikely they will use a character generally disliked by casual AC gamers.

BATISTABUS
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Dammit. I wish they had done something independent of Desmond and his ancestors. The games stand alone as a cinematic experience. It's just going to fall short.

I mean, come on. He doesn't even match the basic description Ubisoft put out when trying to find a model from Desmond; someone Medeterranean/European looking.

Watch Kristen Bell not be cast as Lucy.

Lonesoldier2012
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
My body is ready.

Felix-Vivo
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I would rather see an original story/protagonist. Imagine how cool it would be to have some passing reference to Desmond/Ezio/anyone else from this section of the AC Universe in it though... much cooler than just the same story we've already seen.

A bit how the comics tell a different story to the main games, I guess.

EscoBlades
That part of the article, I believe is referring to the AC franchise (as in the already released games). The article is describing the premise for the franchise, the plot details are not from UMP. It's extremely unlikely any details regarding plot would be released at this stage.

I would have to disagree that it is certain they will use Desmond. When first announcing plans of an AC film, a statement said about maintaining the franchise integrity. By creating an original film they can be certain it won't turn into an awful movie based on a game.
Also, Ubisoft knows Desmond is not a well liked character by the fans of the game. Although the film is not made for the fans of the games (no way would that earn enough money), it is unlikely they will use a character generally disliked by casual AC gamers.

Well Variety interviewed the UMP head. In my experience, you'll usually be steered a particular way with your questioning. In any case, Ubisoft will want to stay as faithful to the franchise as they are able to. So while it might not exactly be Desmond, fans will instantly recognise the inspiration.

Legendz54
Dammit. I wish they had done something independent of Desmond and his ancestors. The games stand alone as a cinematic experience. It's just going to fall short.

I mean, come on. He doesn't even match the basic description Ubisoft put out when trying to find a model from Desmond; someone Medeterranean/European looking.

Watch Kristen Bell not be cast as Lucy.

Lol, he even has an irish accent which doesn't even suit Desmond. But they can probably change him up a bit to look more like Desmond.

Lonesoldier2012
Fassbender is a good choice if you ask me. And he can be made to look like anyone....some of you act like you've never watched movies before, lol

Actually....

With Ubisoft at the helm, you can be **** well sure that is the role of Desmond.

Give him a buzz cut dye hair black, a good shave. Boom Desmond.

zerocooll21
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Lol, he even has an irish accent which doesn't even suit Desmond. But they can probably change him up a bit to look more like Desmond.

You know people are able to change their voice??? Its been around for quite a while :p

NeroInfernoF7
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
But he doesn't look like Desmond at all...

ShaneO7K
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
But he doesn't look like Desmond at all...

We don't even know if the film will be about Desmond, and if it is Fassbender could easily be made to look like Desmond.

ShaneO7K
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if Corey May will have any say with the movie?

DylanJosh9
07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I have very little hope for the movie. The main thing what bothers me is how will they balance the modern day and historic stories

In a 2 hour movie you're going to have barely enough time for character exposition. If the movie goes the video game way and focuses mainly on Altair's time, then movie audiences might not appreciate the fractional amount of screen time the modern day characters will get.

On the flip side, if they concentrate on Desmonds story, considering Fassbender might play Desmond (I know its not confirmed, but its incredibly likely), then the Altair's part will get shafted. This will be horrible from a budget point of view - considering they have to create sets in Acre etc and not use it only in a minority part of the film. Of they can just do everything with CGI, but IMO,. it'll end up looking shabby.

There's another problem - that of two sets of actors. Like I said before, balancing both sets is going to be tough, plus costs will increase. If they decide to use a common set of actors for both parts of the story (something like Matrix?) then this violates the lore, which destroys the whole point of making this an independent project.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 03:04 PM

True. Hollywood lacking integrity with regard to racial casting? No (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/) way (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/). Certainly not in a film based on a Ubisoft game (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/).

:D

ShaneO7K
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
True. Hollywood lacking integrity with regard to racial casting? No (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/) way (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/). Certainly not in a film based on a Ubisoft game (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/).

:D

Well he is Irish/German, can't really get much more european.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Well he is Irish/German, can't really get much more european.

Yeah but not Middle Eastern.

I seriously doubt Ubisoft would want to adapt Altair's story though. You could sell the film to a proportion of AC's players and some other people, but I would have thought Ubisoft would want to bring new players into the games with a film. They'd be better off with a unique story, or a story they haven't done yet but will later, so that the film comes out just before the game -- perhaps the film in August just as the summer blockbuster season dies, and then release the game in October with a story that extends from the film into a new stage of that character's life.

Turul.
07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
great actor, not sure if he really fits desmond though, definately would be better as altair IMO

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Sounds fake to me. Fassbender is one of my favourite actors, but he isn't right for Desmond. How are we supposed to believe he has an Arabic relative, along with an Italian and an American Indian one.It's Variety, one of the oldest and most trusted Hollywood trade magazines + it contains actual quotes from Ubisoft. It's not fake. Whether the film will get made or not, current news definitely ain't fake

rileypoole1234
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I have a bad feeling about this. I wish they would just leave Assassin's Creed in the video game universe. I don't think this movie will be done right.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I have a bad feeling about this. I wish they would just leave Assassin's Creed in the video game universe. I don't think this movie will be done right.
I'm more concerned about the production costs. Squaresoft also tried to make a movie themselves (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within) and even though they used internal studios and whatnot, the cost was still high and with low gross, the project nearly bankrupted the company. Blockbuster movies are very expensive to make.

kudos17
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Y'know, I'm not convinced. I'm definitely not convinced that it is live-action (didn't they say it wouldn't be? :confused:) and I'm not convinced it is Desmond's story.

After all, what would be the point? Sure it might open the games up to a wider media audience, but what about gamers? Some of us might go to see how it ended up, but I won't. Why would I care? I know the story - actually, I can PLAY the story. I wouldn't bother paying theater-price to see it again.

Also:

Plot revolves around a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar, and sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts.

That isn't strong enough proof for me. Desmond wasn't the only one to be kidnapped by the Templars, and he already knew he was an assassin, he didn't learn that at Abstergo. Could be almost any other subject.

As far as "the iconic hooded hero", well... that's kind of vague. Ubisoft didn't say anything about "an iconic hooded hero", that's just assumed (I believe).

vistheindian
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Just out of curiousity (because the movie is still a long way off) who do you think would be a fitting director for this movie?

Turul.
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Just out of curiousity (because the movie is still a long way off) who do you think would be a fitting director for this movie?

Micheal Bay! LOL

on a more serious note, spielberg or christopher nolan would be awesome

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
on a more serious note, spielberg or christopher nolan would be awesome
But will never happen unless either of those directors is a huge fan of the series. They're at the status that they can do whatever movie they feel like

Turul.
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
But will never happen unless either of those directors is a huge fan of the series. They're at the status that they can do whatever movie they feel like

yeah, one can dream i guess

DylanJosh9
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Matthew Vaughn would seem a little more realistic.

SixKeys
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
To the people who are saying "he doesn't look like Desmond".... neither did Desmond in ACR. :rolleyes: I'm actually pleased with this choice. Fassbender is a great actor and generally chooses quality projects to star in, so hopefully that's an indication of the quality of the upcoming film.

Edit: I should add that I only think he would be good for Desmond's role. Casting him as Alta´r would be another massive race!fail in a Ubisoft movie, I sincerely hope they're going to cast an actual Middle-Eastern person to play Alta´r.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
To the people who are saying "he doesn't look like Desmond".... neither did Desmond in ACR. :rolleyes: I'm actually pleased with this choice. Fassbender is a great actor and generally chooses quality projects to star in, so hopefully that's an indication of the quality of the upcoming film.At least the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean look was kept. Which Fassy doesn't have.

rileypoole1234
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
As long as they do it right, I'm all for it.

SixKeys
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
At least the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean look was kept. Which Fassy doesn't have.

Desmond's nationality isn't that important to me. He's always been a fairly bland character, his background was never the focus so it could be altered somewhat to fit the movie's "everyman" perspective. They could turn Desmond into a ginger Irish guy and it wouldn't really make a huge difference storywise. It's Alta´r I'm concerned about.

BATISTABUS
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Re-reading that article, it sounds like he could actually be Altair (He could actually be someone unrelated, but I'll assume the main story for now). Assuming Desmond and Altair are played by different actors, that might not actually be that bad. He could pull of a Revelations-style Altair.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vbKl2-9yfTg/0.jpg

WolfTemplar94
07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Let's hope that it's an all original story. Seeing as it's Fassbender, I'd love it if it was set in Victorian England. That would have the opportunity to be a truly brilliant film.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
If he plays Altair, accent or I will feel like I am playing AC1 all over again o-o
A bad part of AC1. Lol.

lukaszep
07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Well Variety interviewed the UMP head. In my experience, you'll usually be steered a particular way with your questioning. In any case, Ubisoft will want to stay as faithful to the franchise as they are able to. So while it might not exactly be Desmond, fans will instantly recognise the inspiration.

I don't believe they interviewed the head of UMP. They quoted a statement released.
But you are right it's very likely there will be strong inspiration from Desmond if it is a new protagonist (if it even takes place in the present at all).

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 09:00 PM
They cant just throw the present out, alot of the lore comes from our buddy Desmond and his crew :P

souNdwAve89
07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I hope it's an original story than just being an adaption of previous game. Being an original story allows them to have more creative freedom. They can do what they did with the Prince of Persia movie, which was being an original story while using video game elements. As for Michael Fassbender, it's great news since he is a great actor and very popular because of his role in X-Men: First Class and Prometheus.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I hope it's an original story than just being an adaption of previous game. Being an original story allows them to have more creative freedom. They can do what they did with the Prince of Persia movie, which was being an original story while using video game elements. As for Michael Fassbender, it's great news since he is a great actor and very popular because of his role in X-Men: First Class and Prometheus.

.....The PoP movie was terrible....

souNdwAve89
07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
.....The PoP movie was terrible....

I thought it was a decent video game adaption movie out of the ones we have gotten. Following its style for an AC movie doesn't mean it'll end up bad. If they make the movie to follow the first AC game, then that's fine. I just think the movie being original will benefit them because they can go to a different time period that we haven't seen much of yet with new characters. We don't know if the movie will be canon and tie into the universe or it'll be a stand alone.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
It cant tie into the universe if it has Desmond, as his story ends now, and in the position he is in, how will he view the memories of somebody other than Connor?

BATISTABUS
07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
It wouldn't make sense to make something Desmond-related if they weren't going to start from the beginning. They'd want to make a product enjoyable by fans and non-fans alike.

souNdwAve89
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
It cant tie into the universe if it has Desmond, as his story ends now, and in the position he is in, how will he view the memories of somebody other than Connor?

It doesn't have to, which is why I think it being an original story helps the continuity. They can just have a new character from the modern day timeline that gets abducted to be Abstergo's new subject like they did with past individuals. We don't know a whole lot about the movie overall, so at this point it's just speculation. We know that the movie will follow the concept of the games, but that's about it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
That is where they can mis-step. If it is so largely different than the AC we know and love might aswell not watch it.

souNdwAve89
07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
That is where they can mis-step. If it is so largely different than the AC we know and love might aswell not watch it.

I doubt it. Ubisoft has a hand in the making of this movie. They will know how to balance it for the video game fans and for those who have not played them. They can set the movie as canon in the universe by having it as a spinoff and making references from the game. We all know that there were other things going on during the time of Altair, Ezio, Connor, and Desmond.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Maybe it can address the life of a Abstergo Recruit?

TaleraRis
07-10-2012, 12:32 AM
I love Fassbender. Put me in the "Original story" court, not because I don't think he could pull it off, but because it would be an excellent way to expand upon the universe.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:33 AM
It really all depends on how AC III wraps up...

menacefox
07-10-2012, 12:34 AM
This man should play the Assassin!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004912/

Oded Fehr.

He was the Arabic warrior in The Mummy Returns movie.
He also was in one of the Resident Evil movies.

Decent actor. He resembles the Assassins from the video games too.
Plus, he has a great Middle Eastern accent as well.

They couldn't get him for cheap'er?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
No. I just cant see him starring as one of our main heroes.

SixKeys
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
This man should play the Assassin!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004912/

Oded Fehr. He was the Arabic warrior in The Mummy Returns movie.

They couldn't get him for cheap'er?

They're not interested in cheaper, they're interested in publicity. That's why they will hire big name actors everyone knows.

menacefox
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
No. I just cant see him starring as one of our main heroes.
Is it because he's Jewish?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Besides, here is the thing with Micheal:
Big name actor + He acts well = profit.
EDIT: He is Jewish? never knew that...not that, but I dont know...he just dosen't look like someone that I can imagine being Altair for example. And the fact that he is Jewish, if he plays Altair/Ezio will be kinda bleh because both are Atheists.

menacefox
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Arnold Vosloo is a better option too.

ShaneO7K
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Is it because he's Jewish?

-____-

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
That guy from the Mummy?
LOL. I hated his acting...xD

SixKeys
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Besides, here is the thing with Micheal:
Big name actor + He acts well = profit.
EDIT: He is Jewish? never knew that...not that, but I dont know...he just dosen't look like someone that I can imagine being Altair for example. And the fact that he is Jewish, if he plays Altair/Ezio will be kinda bleh because both are Atheists.

lolwut? An actor's personal religion doesn't matter when they're playing a character. On a related note, Judaism is more than a religion. There are lots of Jewish atheists.

menacefox
07-10-2012, 12:46 AM
I hope they show him wearing the Assassin's Creed III limited edition belt buckle in the movie. So, that I can sell it on e-bay for like $60. It would double in value.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:47 AM
I dont actually know why I said that...o-o.
So just scratch that, but I still stand: I just cant imagine him playing one of our main heroes in the AC movie.

SixKeys
07-10-2012, 12:47 AM
I hope they show him wearing the Assassin's Creed III limited edition belt buckle in the movie. So, that I can sell it on e-bay for like $60. It would double in value.

I hope not. That thing looks like an ugly, cheap piece of plastic.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:48 AM
It would actually really back fire at Ubi...since everybody would be selling it for double or triple the price while they could have sold it...

menacefox
07-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I hope not. That thing looks like an ugly, cheap piece of plastic.
It's pewter, not plastic. Get it right.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
I wonder when we will actually see this movie....
2014?

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 02:47 AM
I wonder when we will actually see this movie....
2014?
Summer 2014 at the earliest. High budget movies need at least a year from the start of shooting till the release, often 1,5 year due to CGI. And this kind of movie won't be released in any other season than summer. Since there's no script yet (or even the scriptwriter assigned), no chance they will start shooting this year so no chance it will be out for summer 2013

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
Micheal Fassbender is one of the top Twitter trends, and it is everywhere on Google....
Do you guys think he can break the video game bad movie curse? this movie maybe can?

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Micheal Fassbender is one of the top Twitter trends, and it is everywhere on Google....
Do you guys think he can break the video game bad movie curse? this movie maybe can?If we're talking just big box office due to main star, then Angelina already broke the curse because the first Tomb Raider was a hit mostly thanks to her. The movie wasn't regarded good. For a good movie, a good script and director are much more necessary than Fassy

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Yeah, but as in acting....
Video Game movies are known for bad acting, and just horrible all around.
Last good one was Mortal Kombat *The first, not Annihilation* lol.
I can see the film doing good, we are a big fanbase, so yeah...

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Yeah, but as in acting....
Video Game movies are known for bad acting, and just horrible all around.
Last good one was Mortal Kombat *The first, not Annihilation* lol.
I can see the film doing good, we are a big fanbase, so yeah...
They are most known for crap scripts and directing. Their stars are actually quite often one of the few things that is praised - Angelina, Jake Gyllenhaal, Mila, Mark Wahlberg. EVen the best actor won't turn ****ty scripted movie into a masterpiece

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Good actors is pretty subjective :p but nevermind that, I think Ubisoft is treating it more seriously than others, like an actual movie not just ''Oh, video game movie, lets exploit the fans''

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Good actors is pretty subjective :p but nevermind that, I think Ubisoft is treating it more seriously than others, like an actual movie not just ''Oh, video game movie, lets exploit the fans''All I mentioned are quality actors who have many great performances on their resumes. If you think Fassy's better then all of them it's of course your opinion and maybe he is, but with crap script and directing, he won't single-handedly turn the movie into something great.

We'll see how it will turn out. Ubisoft is invested, but that doesn't automatically guarantee quality yet. It will still boil down to the script and directing

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Just dont put W.S Anderson on this project if you have any sort of dignity....

SoullessKassidy
07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
They're not interested in cheaper, they're interested in publicity. That's why they will hire big name actors everyone knows.

and that is why everyone so far and ever made will suck; Hollywood kills everything from the video game universe, this will be no different. Do you guys not remember Live Action Aladdin aka Prince of persia? Hitman?

Resident evil name is the best game movie and its not really based off the games, it is just in the same universe which is the best way to go so you don't entirely piss off fans

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 03:24 AM
...No, RE is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.
Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat were better. And do you really think that guy can pull off Altair for example? no.

BATISTABUS
07-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Apparently Ubisoft got unprecedented creative control, so everything should go smoothly...

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Apparently Ubisoft got unprecedented creative control, so everything should go smoothly...
Making games ain't exactly the same thing as making movies, so I wouldn't celebrate yet that Ubisoft has such unprecedented control. Squaresoft had too and we all know how it turned out for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Squaresoft? Square Enix ;P
And I wonder...why doesn't Corey May write the script?
I mean yeah, I know, writing for video games is different, as 18 hours vs 2 hours, but he may be able too make something good out of it..

SoullessKassidy
07-10-2012, 03:56 AM
...No, RE is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.
Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat were better. And do you really think that guy can pull off Altair for example? no.

Silent hill was good and MK were decent but l can't agree at all the RE is Terrible, movies are badass although like most zombie movies it has turned to more action then actual horror. Again movie in the universe of said video game but not any of the games turned into a movie; best way to do it. No hollywood company or big budget investor will back a actual video game movie, they always want it changed and they do the worst **** to them to interest the general public.

Hitman could have been the easiest VG movie and it wasn't good, i liked the actor but just not good. Prince of Persia, horrible actor choices and horrible story.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 03:59 AM
I refuse too believe there was a Hitman movie, refuse.
My point is not about Holywood, my point is you people actually believe he can pull it off....
I saw him in the movies he was in, I really cant see him playing Altair, I can see him maybe in a supportive role.
And I think the hate for Fassy is simply because people have the urge too attack anything after it becomes mainstream. He is a great actor.
And this has Ubisoft in creative control, so yeah...

SoullessKassidy
07-10-2012, 04:17 AM
chill with the you people, lol, Im not with the "you people" either way as I don't really support big names in gaming movies unless perfect fit and this isn't a perfect fit. I liked hm as david in Prometheus, I loved Prometheus but I don't think he can pull this off either. My og post if you read it right was stating I didn't want a big hollywood name in video game movies cuz it just leads to a crappy movie where most the budget goes to the big names they hired

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 04:19 AM
As I said, the hate happens because when something becomes popular....
Most of the time the doom of those movies is the director and script, no actor can fix a bad director and a bad script.

masterfenix2009
07-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Any actor can look any role with good make up.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Well, but having a guy without too much make up involved makes it better, I suppose?

TaleraRis
07-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Squaresoft? Square Enix ;P
And I wonder...why doesn't Corey May write the script?
I mean yeah, I know, writing for video games is different, as 18 hours vs 2 hours, but he may be able too make something good out of it..

They were still Squaresoft at that time. Didn't merge with Enix for a couple of years or so after that.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Well, but using Square Enix would be more clear for everybody.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Squaresoft? Square Enix ;POne of the main reasons why Squaresoft merged with Enix was all the money they lost on FF movie actually

TaleraRis
07-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Well, but using Square Enix would be more clear for everybody.

Not us old school RPG fans :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Well yeah, but for people other than us it might not really be clear.
And that movie failed. In the end, director and scrip writer are what really matter.

TaleraRis
07-10-2012, 04:36 AM
One of the main reasons why Squaresoft merged with Enix was all the money they lost on FF movie actually

It's interesting to think what would have happened if they'd never made that. Squaresoft may never have merged and we may never have had Kingdom Hearts. I would be a sad panda.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Not really, because you would have never known it would have existed.

godsmack_darius
07-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Check out his performance in "Centurion". I believe he could pull off the flashy Assassin look. Not sure about Ezio or Connor...But definitely Altair as they both have that serious look (Fassbender in X men: First class...Super serious looking guy).

As Desmond...Well, after seeing his other performances, I honestly think he could pull it off. He is an amazing actor and fairly new in the mainstream world.

As a side note. I think an original story might be interesting...Maybe he could play subject 16...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 05:17 AM
16 relived a small fraction of Ezio, not really worth it.
And Adam and Eve, but I can see the movie screwing up royally with the plot if they go in there.

SevketErhat
07-10-2012, 07:55 AM
I really want this movie to succeed but we'll see

shobhit7777777
07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Excellent choice

D.I.D.
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
This is a good test of that TWCB business. I keep having arguments with people about how weak it is, so I'm calling it now -- if they put neon ancients on screen, talking in grave tones, this thing is going to get laughed out of the cinemas. You don't realise how much AC gets away with by being a game.

NeroInfernoF7
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056333

There is a lot more info than from the first article.
Sorry if it's already been posted...

EzioAssassin51
07-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Making games ain't exactly the same thing as making movies, so I wouldn't celebrate yet that Ubisoft has such unprecedented control.

Yeah but we can assume it'll be better since they have all the info, the ideas, the minor details, everything. No doubt Corey May and the others will be working on this! At least I hope...

And I actually liked Prince of Persia for the record :p

Turul.
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Hoping this movie moves into uncharted territory like the comic books

OriginalMiles
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Shave his hair, give him make up for colour and BOOM! Desmond!

JCearlyyears
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
What I'd pay to see Francisco Randez lip-synch with Nolan North's voice. I don't think this Fassbender guy looks like Desmond.

OriginalMiles
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
What I'd pay to see Francisco Randez lip-synch with Nolan North's voice. I don't think this Fassbender guy looks like Desmond.
What if the movie's CGI, but Fassbender as the voice?
I demand North.

JCearlyyears
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Nolan North. CGI movie, Nolan voice. I don't think I'll watch the movie. I prefer the games.

OriginalMiles
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Nolan North. CGI movie, Nolan voice. I don't think I'll watch the movie. I prefer the games.
I'll see it, but on DVD.

masterfenix2009
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I think I will see it in theatres. Since I go to the movies every weekend.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
In theaters, if I can go see Spider-Man, you bet I can go AC.
And people, Francisco may not be a good actor, him modeling Desmond does not mean he acts good.

masterfenix2009
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
In theaters, if I can go see Spider-Man, you bet I can go AC.
And people, Francisco may not be a good actor, him modeling Desmond does not mean he acts good.
This.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
He is a model, not a actor.
But Fassy is a well known good actor in many peoples eyes, so yeah.

Diabolic702
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
In my opinion , I think Ben Affleck looks better for Altair's role. But don't get me wrong, Michael is a great actor too.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Isn't he that guy that starts in comedy movies?

Rance_8-Bit
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought Paul Walker would be a great Desmond.http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Paul-Walker-Fast-Five-image.jpg http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/5800000/Paul-paul-walker-5817071-500-300.jpg

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
...Desmond does not look like that o-o
I think the only guy that LOOKS like Desmond is Randez...and how knows how he acts.

Black_Widow9
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm not complaining. :p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm not complaining. :p

Nobody really is, since it seems they are taking this seriously, not just a cash in.

lukaszep
07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Just to remind you all...

A) There is no word on plot details. There hasn't even been a hint that he will actually be playing Desmond.

B) If he is playing Desmond, who cares what he looks like? It has no impact on the story. He's a great actor, that's all that counts.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I know that, but it did say ''Altair'' in the news reports, so that probably means Desmond, people are saying he doesn't look like him and want Randez, but Randez is not a actor.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Mostly because that is what everybody is saying, Altair/Desmond, so we are going with the flow.

De Filosoof
07-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Indeed. Why is everybody talking about Altair and Desmond?
Just be a little bit more creative...

Victorian England or the French revolution, anybody?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, because honestly it seems the most plausible thing. I would love a Victorian England movie, but this seems the closest thing too what it is right now.

De Filosoof
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Sources?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Most of the press releases say Altair or Desmond, so it is what people are going with.

De Filosoof
07-10-2012, 11:31 PM
How do they know that? I think it's just an easy pick for them.
Why would we have a movie about Alta´r? We almost know everything about him.
The AC team is very creative, i think they will come up with something much better.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:33 PM
This is not just them here.
The director, producer, etc....
They have control, but they dont have the say on everything.

ShaneO7K
07-10-2012, 11:43 PM
This is not just them here.
The director, producer, etc....
They have control, but they dont have the say on everything.

They pretty much have control of the majority of the film, that much is pretty evident by what happened when they sat down Sony.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:46 PM
But still, they may just want to re-tell AC1, do keep in mind those are not just for us, but for people who did not play the game.

masterfenix2009
Sources?
Hollywood is just predictable.

HaSoOoN-MHD
We may get a re-telling or a new story, I say probably re-telling tho.

De Filosoof
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
We may get a re-telling or a new story, I say probably re-telling tho.

If it's a re-telling, i'm not going to watch it.

ShaneO7K
07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
A movie about Daniel Cross would actually be pretty good.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Not sure how well that will go, since Daniel isn't really a VERY important part of the series. And generally game-movie adaptations like too start from the first game...

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Not sure how well that will go, since Daniel isn't really a VERY important part of the series. And generally game-movie adaptations like too start from the first game...

Maybe not in the game series (yet) but in the AC universe he is pretty much the beginning of the end for the modern day assassins, if it was even just based on the first comic and expanded a little that could make for a great movie and the reason I am bringing up the comic for the movie is because I would rather have a lesser known (assuming this because I would think most people would tend to stick to the game series) part of the series shown. Also Desmond could be brought in for a sequel and could show Daniels transformation into the antagonist.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:01 AM
They could opt for that, but I think we could visit Daniel in a sequel, since first explanations must be given for the Templars, Assassin's, etc...
Not only AC fans will be going to see this, they must calculate people who dont play the games.

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
They could opt for that, but I think we could visit Daniel in a sequel, since first explanations must be given for the Templars, Assassin's, etc...
Not only AC fans will be going to see this, they must calculate people who dont play the games.

A good introduction to both the assassin's and the templars is shown in the comic, so there would be no real problem there.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I still doubt how well a Daniel Cross movie would be compared to a normal Desmond movies, and we dont know how much liberty will be taken.

godsmack_darius
07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
A movie about 16 would be cool...It would be cooler with a cliffhanger hinting at sequel with Desmond as the main character... ;)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
But all he did was relive a small fragment of Ezio...

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 12:19 AM
But all he did was relive a small fragment of Ezio...

He lived through quite a few ancestors actually, which is why he eventually got confused as to what time period he was actually in.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
I think Ezio, Queen Elizabeth (???) and Adam/Eve...

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 12:23 AM
I think Ezio, Queen Elizabeth (???) and Adam/Eve...There were definitely more than that, and it was an ancestor connected to Queen Isabella.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:25 AM
But those are the known ones, I believe.
The problem withd oing a Daniel Cross movie is how much liberty is taken with it. You see, if it strays so much away from the comics, it would really confusing which one is right, and some fans who may have not read the comics take the movie as the cannon.

godsmack_darius
07-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Remember, he was in the Animus for days at a time. And remember all the symbols he drew? Many different cultures from around the world were shown. He also had ancestor in the middle east to... He has plenty to add

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 12:29 AM
But those are the known ones, I believe.
The problem withd oing a Daniel Cross movie is how much liberty is taken with it. You see, if it strays so much away from the comics, it would really confusing which one is right, and some fans who may have not read the comics take the movie as the cannon.

That is something that is certain of any series or story which is brought on to a different piece of media, there will always be certains parts of a story that will have to be chopped, the same goes for characters. Obviously somethings may be added. It is just something that can't be avoided to an extent.

OriginalMiles
07-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I just saw it on 60 seconds news on BBC Three.
I guess it's official if it's on the news.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 12:33 AM
...Obviously it is official...xD
While yes Shane, but most of the time, movies take from the actual game, so those who played it know the right or wrong, unlike a comic book...
The ones we 100% know of are Ezio, somebody related to Queen Elizabeth, and Adam/Eve

WolfTemplar94
07-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Thinking now, Fassbender would be a perfect Subject 16. Probably better than the S16 we got in Rev.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:12 AM
He does look a lot like him....o-o....
I wonder if they can pull off 2 movies, one for S16 and one for Desmond..
Maybe actually do the whole series?
Just throwing ideas.

OriginalMiles
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
You know what's ironic? We're on the 16th page, talking about Subject 16!

kudos17
07-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Thinking now, Fassbender would be a perfect Subject 16. Probably better than the S16 we got in Rev.

Now I could definitely see him as Sixteen, for sure. I'd be okay with that. But not Desmond.

I don't know who could play a live-action Desmond, to be honest :nonchalance: I can't see anyone but Nolan North, but that wouldn't really work in live-action. I'd have to think about it and probably eventually come to terms with whoever they pick.

What I don't get, though, and why I'm still unwilling to believe that this AC film will be focused on Desmond's story, is this: Didn't they say that if they did make an AC film, it would be in CGI, so they could keep the typical voices?

Maybe that was a rumour, or maybe things changed, I dunno.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:15 AM

You dont say?
I think this all depends on:
How well we like the movie
How well they do.
I think Ubi will put a good budget behind it, if we dont return the money back, I dont think we will see a sequel....
EDIT: I believe it was a rumor, they were not planning a CGI movie.

kudos17
07-11-2012, 01:25 AM
He does look a lot like him....o-o....
I wonder if they can pull off 2 movies, one for S16 and one for Desmond..
Maybe actually do the whole series?
Just throwing ideas.

Actually, now that you mention it...

The story of S16 as seen in the Lost Archive and such would make a great movie, I've always thought. Yeah... I'd totally be all for a movie focused on S16's infiltration of Abstergo, starring Fassbender. Now THAT I could swallow. Desmond and the gang's story doesn't even have to touch it.

It makes sense, anyway. S16 had an ancestor in Victorian England, didn't he? And Ezio was a common ancestor...

This... this makes too much sense for us to not be on to something :eek:

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Actually, now that you mention it...

The story of S16 as seen in the Lost Archive and such would make a great movie, I've always thought. Yeah... I'd totally be all for a movie focused on S16's infiltration of Abstergo, starring Fassbender. Now THAT I could swallow. Desmond and the gang's story doesn't even have to touch it.

It makes sense, anyway. S16 had an ancestor in Victorian England, didn't he? And Ezio was a common ancestor...

This... this makes too much sense for us to not be on to something :eek:

Actually, it seems so plausible....
AC is a big franchise, so many fans will go see it, there.
But also, S16 is like a ''origin'' story, there, new guys covered.
AND, we the fans did not really get to see S16 past the segments in AC:R...
And from there, you can start a movie series o;

masterfenix2009
07-11-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm on page 5.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 06:09 AM
We are on page 17.
Desmond.