PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play as a male or female templar? Eye candy or something more meaningful?

stingray10
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I just wondered what people's thoughts were on the topic of playing as the opposite gender. I mean i notice males in particular like to play as females, in my opinion, ( I do about 50% of the time) and i was thinking why do we really play as them?

Is it eye candy (If you know the Dama Rossa, you know what i mean) or is it some urge to play as the opposite sex because you have the opportunity to?And the same goes for females, why do you play as men?

On another note, when i first played the multiplayer i was a little shocked to see females killed in such way and i was wondering whether it is morally right to show the courtesan having her neck broke in such a violent manner. Did anyone else feel the same in the beginning? I am just bringing this up because the forums are a little dead.

Lastly, i am aware that females are just as capable and deadly as a man and that there has been female killers throughout history before this notion turns up in someone's answer.

aMorbidLullaby
07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Hmm, interesting question!
I don't choose my characters based on gender. I pick them based on a number of things.
Their clothing color vs color of the map, the game mode I'm playing (is it important to be easy to hide, or does it not matter?), the strategy I'm using, etc. In general, I stick to the smaller, darker characters because they seem to be less noticable. So, for me, its definitely a tactical choice.
On the side note, now that you mention it, I guess it is a pretty brutal aspect of the game. I've had parents/friends comment on the kill animations when they've watched me play, but it really never bothered me that much. It's just a game, after all. ;)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I just wondered what people's thoughts were on the topic of playing as the opposite gender. I mean i notice males in particular like to play as females, in my opinion, ( I do about 50% of the time) and i was thinking why do we really play as them?

Is it eye candy (If you know the Dama Rossa, you know what i mean) or is it some urge to play as the opposite sex because you have the opportunity to?And the same goes for females, why do you play as men?

On another note, when i first played the multiplayer i was a little shocked to see females killed in such way and i was wondering whether it is morally right to show the courtesan having her neck broke in such a violent manner. Did anyone else feel the same in the beginning? I am just bringing this up because the forums are a little dead.

Lastly, i am aware that females are just as capable and deadly as a man and that there has been female killers throughout history before this notion turns up in someone's answer.

That last part of you're post shows how un-equal we are in this world.
It is totally OK too have men suffer all of that but women ''WOMEN RIGHTS!''
It's a fair game, And I mostly used the Doctor and Renegade, so yeah.

stingray10
07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
That last part of you're post shows how un-equal we are in this world.
It is totally OK too have men suffer all of that but women ''WOMEN RIGHTS!''
It's a fair game, And I mostly used the Doctor and Renegade, so yeah.

You are right in terms of rights, however in terms of physical capability men are far more stronger and so by killing female, are we not killing women who are weaker (In terms of physical strength) than men? And so, is that morally right?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Not all women are necessarily weaker. Specially not women depicted in Assassin's creed, look at the characters and see they're animations.
And if we go by that, alot of women and men get killed, so really~

Demon.King.
07-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Hmm, interesting question!
I don't choose my characters based on gender. I pick them based on a number of things.
Their clothing color vs color of the map, the game mode I'm playing (is it important to be easy to hide, or does it not matter?), the strategy I'm using, etc. In general, I stick to the smaller, darker characters because they seem to be less noticable. So, for me, its definitely a tactical choice.

This

But I mainly prefer choosing male characters, especially the gladiator and crusader, simply because I get a feeling of power when I do the kill moves xD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Renegade takes the most skill due too his crab like fast walk.

CerealAssassin
07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
ive always picked the female characters 99% of the time in ACB and ACR I just love them lol, i dont think I would call it eye candy.. to me they just have more.. personality..

I do love the corsair though shes my favourite, i really like the outfit and the hat!
And the brigand.. I like how shes... kinda scary but also hot at the same time
.. Il stop now !

FilipinoNinja67
07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I pick my corsair not only for the eye candy but for something more meaningful. I love her and I can't live without her.

No I pick the corsair or the count for night maps and I like the corsair's kill animations. Both characters blend into really dark corners.

ReptileAssassin
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
My main character is the Deacon because he has what looks like a giant cobra insignia on his chest.

I mean really, what could fit me more perfectly?

Serrachio
07-07-2012, 12:25 AM
My main character is the Deacon because he has what looks like a giant cobra insignia on his chest.

I mean really, what could fit me more perfectly?

If you could play as this guy: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/The_Viper

:p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 12:38 AM
I do think the personas in BH were 10x better than Rev

Bairrfhionn
07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
There are a few of teh characters from ACB itm might be fun to import to ARC MP :).I picked other becasue it's all of the first three. Usually tactical, or I appreciate the variosu aniamtions, or I'm in a mood where I'd simply rather watch a female walking through the map that the lumbering backside of say the gladiator. ;)

ReptileAssassin
07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
If you could play as this guy: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/The_Viper

:p

I would never play as such an ugly ****er =D

pioneerprogres
07-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Partly eye candy, partly because IMO the female characters have more similarities that potentially make it harder for my pursuer to pick me out in a crowd, especially in deathmatch. For example, the brigand and trickster look pretty similar, as do the courtesan and corsair. I also agree about darker colored personas being a little harder to pick out.
The sentinel and deacon look pretty similar too, but the sentinel's white clothing kinda ruins that character for me if I'm trying to stay unnoticed.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 01:44 AM
No, the only reason somebody wont notice you is he is too busy looking at the character model than too press ''kill'' :P

Pillsy74
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I started playing with female characters in ACB because of the fast walks of the male characters.

With a more experienced eye, I can easily tell the fast walks of the female characters now, too, but it's stuck with me.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 02:37 AM
IMO. The female fast walks are easier too tell for me.
Mostly because of they're back side moving way too quickly...

Archybad
07-07-2012, 06:46 AM
I pick the characters who look nimble and reckless as they run because that's my preferred playstyle. The Thief, Hellequin, Corsair, and Brigand along with the Harlequin and the Renegade all do this for me.

DarkDreamer95
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't have a particular reason. I'm a girl and I rarely play using male characters :P But when I do, it's because I'm bored of playing the same characters over and over again. The males have more variety :P

mukwag
07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Mainly because I identify more with the opposite sex, being a male, that's kind of weird, right? not really.

SixKeys
07-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I really don't care about gender. I only care about the character design and whether it appeals to me. The ACB characters were all much more interesting and unique than in ACR, so in ACB I had a few favorites (Dama Rossa, Harlequin, Hellequin) but in ACR I always choose a character pretty much at random.

Nejjy
07-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I always choose a female character if there is one left. I think for me as a girl I like to be represented as a girl in games but maybe also because (and hello sterotype!) good female gamers are hard to come by, and I love the moment when a guy gets so pissed that a woman killed him, It's beautiful!
Not to forget some female characters (like for me The Brigand and The Thief) have awesome animations :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I never understood how getting killed by a girl is embarrassing...

indulgence82
07-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Awkward question but I select women because I like them. I don't really have preferences on the men because I don't like their looks. The men I do sometimes select are generally based on their kill animations (or in the case of revels taunts). The reason I select women is if I'm going to have to look at a body for the course of the game shouldn't I enjoy what I'm looking at? Also keep in mind many of the male character types seem to be oddly exaggerated parodies of themselves in many cases. The barber, the captain, and the blacksmith are guilty of this. And the nobleman feels a bit like a cartoon character than an actual person from that moment in history. He's a peg leg and a pirate hat away from kidnapping Tinkerbell and having a duel with Peter.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I am sorry, but getting aroused by pixels is flat out odd.

E-Zekiel
07-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't like playing as the opposite gender because I prefer my avatar be my same gender. And for the record, people who say they play females for eye candy are lying.

Consider this: If a man plays a woman because he likes the eye candy...Does that mean he also played with Barbies instead of GI Joes? Just saying. There's more to it than eye candy, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, if they do it consistently.

Once in a long while I will play as a female for style variation, but it's probably 1/15 or so. I play as the Sentinel, Deacon, or epic beard pirate 90% of the time. If ALL of those are taken, I play as the Turbanator or the Vizier.

There are specific reasons, I'll list:

Courtesan, because she technically ends up on the Assassins side. So it's kindasorta like playing a legitimate assassin almost.
Pirate lady because she's a pirate.
Trickster because she reminds me of a friend's character in an MMO I play, both in style and in dress, so sometimes I like to see what it's like in that setting.

I think that's about it.

Serrachio
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't like playing as the opposite gender because I prefer my avatar be my same gender. And for the record, people who say they play females for eye candy are lying.

Consider this: If a man plays a woman because he likes the eye candy...Does that mean he also played with Barbies instead of GI Joes? Just saying. There's more to it than eye candy, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, if they do it consistently.

Once in a long while I will play as a female for style variation, but it's probably 1/15 or so. I play as the Sentinel, Deacon, or epic beard pirate 90% of the time. If ALL of those are taken, I play as the Turbanator or the Vizier.

There are specific reasons, I'll list:

Courtesan, because she technically ends up on the Assassins side. So it's kindasorta like playing a legitimate assassin almost.
Pirate lady because she's a pirate.
Trickster because she reminds me of a friend's character in an MMO I play, both in style and in dress, so sometimes I like to see what it's like in that setting.

I think that's about it.

Barbies are plastic and lack much appeal. Virtual characters have more expression and can be styled to a more specific standard. Saying that they can be eye-candy does apply.

In my personal view, I play as all characters equally, because I like to see how they express themselves through their kill animations. For instance, the Executioner and the Engineer betray common stereotypes, because the former uses clean strikes and less than expected force with his axe, while the latter uses his compass in a more brutal and visceral fashion than what you'd consider from his withdrawn self (Gaspar de la Croix cooped himself up in his house).

When it comes to the Revelations personas, I can't really connect to them on the same level as the Brotherhood ones, as most of their outfits are plain and un-inspiring since they can be customized in a mix and match way. As well as this, I don't particularly like how the characters have been made to use recycled animations from each other, which I'd be fine with if it was only for the non-specialty weapons. However, Aerial, Bench and Low Profile kills are are shared between characters, even with their specialty weapons, which takes away from the novelty and seems to be making a return unfortunately.

I'd also like to express my disappointment at the exclusion of the Hellequin from Revelations, as I always considered the Hellequin and the Harlequin to be a duo, even if they didn't have to be twin brother and sister if they were both reintroduced. I feel that having a male clown without including a female clown leaves out girls who preferred that kind of carnival theme, along with players who liked the duality the two provided. However, given the time period of AC3, it seems rather late to put a clown or two in the selection, which saddens me to imagine that she'd be missing from Revelations and not making a return, or if she did, without the Harlequin in AC3. (or vice versa)

If anything, it would provide a nice late addition to the multiplayer of ACR to include the "Ottoman Gleemaiden" (I know I've suggested it multiple times before), in order to fill up what appears to be an empty slot at the bottom of the character selection list, to tide players over with something new until AC3's release.

After all, it could even be a Community Unlock that is more useful than a lighting change for a map, in order to drum up some activity for ACR's MP and get people geared up for AC3's MP.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Not just specialty weapons, but at the price of the customization we got we lost unique kill animations

Serrachio
07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Not just specialty weapons, but at the price of the customization we got we lost unique kill animations

Yeah, but if their specialty weapons gave them unique animations for Aerial, Bench and High and Low Profile kills (both from the front and back), it would at least be understandable that the plain weapons gave recycled animations, though the character's specialty weapons made them fully unique as personas.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah, you would not see any re-cylced animations in AC:B, may have to do with the fact that there was no repetition in weapons.

FreakyChuckles
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I have found the keys to succeeding In Assassin's Creed: Patience and Precision. Therefore I like personas that personify this. The Doctor and Barber from AC:B. The Brigand, Crusader and Renegade from AC:R all fit this quite well. Also I've found that if you are not doing the crab walk as the Renegade people will disregard you a lot quicker if you seem disinterested in them.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I like the challenge the Renegade adds with his fast walk.

I-14-Inch-LEGEND
07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I prefer the female characters.
All the Male characters look like each other. They all have a cape, a dress or an armor.
I just feel connected with the female characters, they have their own personality.

Citizen War
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
When I play as female templars I feel like I'm connecting with the true, real, inner me, you know.

Limed_-
07-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Because some idiot took my vizier.

Kaiyoto
07-09-2012, 03:00 AM
In any game, really, I love playing male characters...... as long as they are hot and/or really badass :D

The doctor...... I dunno. There isn't any hot male characters. I have realized he has a fat butt when it comes to climbing walls though. He climbs walls waaaay slower than the courtisan (stupid courtisan >.>) I guess it's the price I pay for picking that character

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 03:35 AM
There is no speed difference in terms of climbing. It is just in your head because of the look difference.
I may be wrong tho...

Kaiyoto
07-09-2012, 05:41 AM
I've never timed it, but it does seem like his fat butt takes longer. I'm always like, "why in the hell can't I get up these things very fast?!" Even with wall runner. Then I run up with the courtesan with no problem. >.> Might be interestng to find out.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Nah, it is the same thing, except that when a character has more armor/clothes on him, the illusion that you are not climbing faster happens. Because you see a bigger chunk of the character not in the position you want...
If that makes sense...