PDA

View Full Version : What the ĎAssassinís Creed 3′ Live-Action Trailer Says About Ubisoft and the British

im3jia
07-05-2012, 05:47 AM
http://gamerant.com/assassins-creed-3-live-action-trailer-british-brian-158429/

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Here we go again..

ProletariatPleb
07-05-2012, 06:33 AM
inb4 lock

infamous_ezio
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
haha this is seriously a joke. I bet you no matter how much you stupid brits complain you will all still buy the game. Get over it, no one cares. IT'S A GAME.

Locopells
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
That wasn't actually the worst article I've read on the matter, it did try to see both sides.

haha this is seriously a joke. I bet you no matter how much you stupid brits complain you will all still buy the game. Get over it, no one cares. IT'S A GAME.

You don't work for Ubi marketing department by any chance, do you?

LightRey
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM
That wasn't actually the worst article I've read on the matter, it did try to see both sides.

He's right though. Very few British people seem to actually care.

Locopells
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
That's the odd thing - I've actually seen more Americans that dislike being pandered to!

EscoBlades
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Assassin’s Creed III is a game, a work of fiction, and shouldn’t be subjugated to such intense does-Ubisoft-hate-the-British scrutiny.

My case. I rest it.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
That's the odd thing - I've actually seen more Americans that dislike being pandered to!
I don't really think it's that odd. It's just not as big a deal as everybody is making it out to be. People are seriously overanalyzing every bit of released footage.

ShaneO7K
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I really don't see understand why people are getting so annoyed over a few trailers, I don't remember this happening with other AC games so I don't understand why it's happening now. It's just a game, get over it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Ubisoft is french.
Artistic revenge was a idea I saw thrown around, quite honestly, might be accurate.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Ubisoft is french.
Artistic revenge was a idea I saw thrown around, quite honestly, might be accurate.
Artistic revenge? How so?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Through the trailers and depicting the British as evil, now I cant say I am 100% on the idea, but could be possible.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Through the trailers and depicting the British as evil, now I cant say I am 100% on the idea, but could be possible.
I sincerely doubt that's a major factor. Especially since the game is being developed mainly by Ubisoft Montreal, located in Canada. Not to mention the fact that I think the British dislike the French more than the French dislike the British (in particular).

DemigodWL
07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
My case. I rest it.

Sorry your case isnt very good. The format of a message doesn't matter the message does .

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
That is something up for debate, considering we are not sure if the marketing team is run by heads of Ubisoft, which in turn are french.

Turul.
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
it's a small ignorant minority that are screaming all over the internet that "ubisoft is anti-british".

they fail to realize this is a game, and the company has zero obligation to anyone.

as many as the devs have stated. it would be difficult to advertise the side of the game where connor is killing colonists or colonial leaders, because it would be confusing, and it would give away serious plot points.

though on the surface the marketing campaign seems biased towards the american side, there are hints of moral ambiguity, and no real indication that connor is fighting for the continental army, but more for freedom and justice for others, and his own agenda.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Sorry your case isnt very good. The format of a message doesn't matter the message does .
That's just the thing. Because it's a game it's not sending the message you're arguing it's sending (that's not the only reason btw). Just like AC1 isn't a game saying there's a world-wide conspiracy by an ancient order that once posed as a Christian Order that wants to control humanity by brainwashing them, this game isn't saying the Americans were the "good guys" in the war. If one were to take the sides portrayed in these games as "messages", we'd have a lot more to argue about here. As Esco said, it's a game, nothing more.

infamous_ezio
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I still don't understand how people are arguing over this..

freddie_1897
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
its funny, because some of the british people are worried about the marketing because its biased, they're worried that because its biased then our 'friends across the pond' will take it to heart and actually use it as an excuse to mock us brits.

yet i have not seen any american on this forum making an anti british post because of any ubisoft marketing. and i highly doubt that anyone in america who had no problem with the british beforehand will change their minds about us because of the marketing. therefore anyone who does make rude comments about us probably felt the same way long before AC3 was even announced. so they are a lost cause anyway and mean nothing to any of the complainers.

Lonesoldier2012
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
http://mob690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/Hotsause9999/Random%20Gifs/ibtl.gif?t=1250103833

Kudos72
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
I really don't see understand why people are getting so annoyed over a few trailers, I don't remember this happening with other AC games so I don't understand why it's happening now. It's just a game, get over it.

It's pretty simple, if AC1 treated Muslims as cardboard cut out bad guys with tag lines like "hunt the heretics" and showed Altair exclusively murdering Muslim soldiers with strong Christian symbolism I would be sympathetic to any Muslim who didn't like the idea of buying the game.

Lonesoldier2012
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I think we all should remember the disclaimer before each game starts.

This game is a work of fiction made by a team of many different faiths and believes

Work of fiction. I'm sure some Brits work at Ubisoft and i doubt they are bothered by it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Alex is British.

Lonesoldier2012
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Alex is British.

Well there ya go. I don't usually pay all that much attention to that stuff.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
And when the lead is British, then well...
Self explanatory.

freddie_1897
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Alex is British.
Um, I don't want to rain on your parade, but Alex is australian. He's from Melbourne

Lonesoldier2012
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Um, I don't want to rain on your parade, but Alex is australian. He's from Melbourne
Nevermind. Accents sound the same to me. Hehe.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Same accents.
Same thing xD

Serrachio
07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I get that the British weren't very fair back then with the taxation they imparted on the Colonists, but I would like it if subsequent trailers weren't solely focused on the Colonists and their rise to freedom blah blah etc.

We're already aware who the victor of the war was. Besides, for the European games conventions, it would be appreciated to see some marketing that focuses on our side, i.e. the Loyalists.

We wouldn't have to be all sweet and innocent, but we could be portrayed in a way like the Templars are supposed to be: Not evil, but that the taxes were our way of thinking that we were protecting the Colonists, even if it didn't end well since they were too restricting. Kind of like how the Templars are trying to protect humanity through controlling us, but their methods are morally questionable.

rileypoole1234
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Everybody needs to stop whining about it. It's just a video game.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I hate this ''just a video game''
Video Games are art. This whole ''just a game'' dosen't work.

Dostoe
07-05-2012, 11:41 PM

What's your point? I think the fact that it's "art," and a piece of fiction should absolve it from any sort of obligations in being politically correct.

The only thing people should really be concerned with, is that if the story is one-sided as we've seen in the trailers, then chances are the story itself is going to be cliched and trite. But, that's an aesthetic point about the quality of the narrative, not a normative prejudicial complaint. And, I doubt the story is going to be so one-sided, as again, that would just be boring.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Not when the game is based on history.

Dostoe
07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Lol, it's a historical fiction. If you're expecting some entirely accurate, non-biased (is that even possible?), historical documentary, you may need to readjust your expectations.

Serrachio
07-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Lol, it's a historical fiction. If you're expecting some entirely accurate, non-biased (is that even possible?), historical documentary, you may need to readjust your expectations.

Given that Ubisoft takes great measures in sticking to history when they don't need to change certain details to keep with the theme of the Assassins etc, it's not hard to expect that people would like to see the game's marketing following that same route.

You can't wave away controversy with "it's just a game" when your game strives to be as historically correct in the way that the Assassin's Creed franchise has shown so far, especially since the American Revolution was recorded in more depth than previous events.

However, kicking up a fuss about Ubisoft's marketing practices is giving them the attention that they want, which gets more people to look at the game and probably buy it since "they heard about it in the news."

All we can hope for now is that Ubisoft's next trailers are more neutral on the "AMERIKUH!" theme, and show the other viewpoint in the conflict, even if it isn't going to make Britain out to be justified.

"We sought to control their lives, and for that we paid the price..."

That is the sort of thing we should be seeing from tne Loyalists.

LightRey
07-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Yes it does. Art doesn't have to have a message y'know. It's art. It's a form of self expression. Assassin's Creed is a story, nothing more. Whatever you read into it is your interpretation of it. It could very well not have been made to show the meaning you see in it.

BBALive
07-06-2012, 12:52 AM

You didn't read the article, did you?

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I stand by what I said in another thread. If this was portraying any other Revolution against the British such as the Egyptian one, then people wont mind. This whole issue is because its the American Revolution, nothing more.

You can deny it, but this is how it really is. If Ubi showed A trailer were an Egyptian Assassin kills numerous British soldiers during the Egyptian Revolution then no one would mind.

I wonder if everyone will rage about how a Russian, Nikolai Orelov, will kill Americans in the upcoming Comic. Or how in Red dead Redemption no one minded John Marston, an American, killing thousands of Mexicans.

See ? Connor is actually half-British and half-Native, so he`s not technically "America eff yeah" You people just need to grow up and stop thinking like Ubisoft, a Canadian-french company, has some grudge against Britain, or that they are biased. Connor does not side with any one as shown and told numerous times. you people just choose what soothes to you and what doesn't is swept under the rug.

You ignored the CGI trailer that clearly shows Connor`s neutrality and cynicism towards the Colonist war, you ignored his lines in the E3 Demo and Gameplay trailer, BUT you just put everything else under the microscope.

Just grow up..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:29 AM
The french and British have a long history. Artistic revenge, anybody? No it does not show ''neutrality'' with him standing in slow motion as Loyalist fall too the ground, with Americans waving the flag and running towards the enemy. Neutral, huh?

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
The french and British have a long history. Artistic revenge, anybody? No it does not show ''neutrality'' with him standing in slow motion as Loyalist fall too the ground, with Americans waving the flag and running towards the enemy. Neutral, huh?
You can view it as you wish, like I said If you want to view it as Patriotic, then you will even if it screams otherwise..
and no that shot does make him look Neutral, last time I checked, Pro-Colonist wouldn't shove his "comrades`" arm away and steal their horse..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
They were losing. And let's not forget his several concept art which he is standing with a American flag behind him, ''Colonial Assassin armor'' why not a British Assassin armor?

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:35 AM
They were losing. And let's not forget his several concept art which he is standing with a American flag behind him, ''Colonial Assassin armor'' why not a British Assassin armor?
Again, like I said, people will only bite and chew what shows bias and not what shows Neutrality..
just like you`re doing now..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:37 AM
What shows neutrality? shoving off a hand makes him neutral?
No. Show him killing a American guard, show some bad things the Colonies used too do, show us a neutral presentations of both sides.

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:38 AM
What shows neutrality? shoving off a hand makes him neutral?
No. Show him killing a American guard, show some bad things the Colonies used too do, show us a neutral presentations of both sides.
Is the game released ? have you seen all the trailers ? No ?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:40 AM
That is not an excuse. I must be able too make an opinion based on what is shown. The marketing just sucks.

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:43 AM
That is not an excuse. I must be able too make an opinion based on what is shown. The marketing just sucks.
It works very well as an excuse. we havent seen all the trailers, screens or game-plays that Ubisoft pans to release and logic says that we wait till end to correctly and rightfully form an opinion, be it for or against.

like the old saying "Do no judge a book by its cover"

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
If that's the case, a trailer could be a TERRIBLE trailer, showcasing horrible gameplay, bad everything, and you must say ''You cant judge it''
If that's the case, you cant judge CoD based on trailers. Yet most people do, but when it's AC ''Dont judge until the game is out''

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:50 AM
If that's the case, a trailer could be a TERRIBLE trailer, showcasing horrible gameplay, bad everything, and you must say ''You cant judge it''
If that's the case, you cant judge CoD based on trailers. Yet most people do, but when it's AC ''Dont judge until the game is out''
If we judged AC III by the first gameplay trailer, as some have, then we no one would want to buy AC. but we waited till E3 and saw much better Gameplay and trailer.

and now you`re just sounding desperate.

NeroInfernoF7
07-06-2012, 01:51 AM
If we judged AC III by the first gameplay trailer, as some have, then we no one would want to buy AC. but we waited till E3 and saw much better Gameplay and trailer.

and now you`re just sounding desperate.

Wondering what gameplay we will see at Comic Con, since it has been confirmed. Exciting! :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Erm...the first gameplay trailer is what most of us based our hype on.

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Erm...the first gameplay trailer is what most of us based our hype on.
Then you weren't here..
because most people thought the game looked like crap from the first game-play trailer..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Erm...no.
I remmember on several sites ''AWESOME!'' ''Pre ordered'' ''Game of the year'' and so on inflate sites which had the trailer up.

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Erm...no.
I remmember on several sites ''AWESOME!'' ''Pre ordered'' ''Game of the year'' and so on inflate sites which had the trailer up.
*sigh*

I said here, not other sites..

Timeaus
07-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Wondering what gameplay we will see at Comic Con, since it has been confirmed. Exciting! :)

Boston demo
http://mysched.comic-con.org/event/6ed619218cfbf5533fc711d08c2d3293

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Then a few minority do not presen everybody.

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Then a few minority do not presen everybody.
Allow me to say that your arguments are baseless, skewed and jump from point to point randomly.
Here is not a small minority, here is the majority of hardcore AC fans and if Hardcore AC fans represent a small minority to you then that says miles about your character. and actually I never claimed that here was the majority, I only said that most here somehow based that Graphics suck solely on that trailer, there is no major or minor to be included..

RatonhnhakeFan
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Then you weren't here..
because most people thought the game looked like crap from the first game-play trailer..It certainly wasn't very exciting to me. E3 was what sold me on the game. The E3 demos were absolutely amazing

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 02:12 AM
It certainly wasn't very exciting to me. E3 was what sold me on the game. The E3 demos were absolutely amazing
See ?

FL4PPYflap
07-06-2012, 02:21 AM
See ?

Yeah I agree. I mean after the first trailer, I was kinda like "Meh, a new Assassins Creed game, I'll probably buy it since I buy all the AC games."
Then after I saw the E3 demos I was like ****ing bricks lol.

Legendz54
07-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah I agree. I mean after the first trailer, I was kinda like "Meh, a new Assassins Creed game, I'll probably buy it since I buy all the AC games."
Then after I saw the E3 demos I was like ****ing bricks lol.

When i first heard that AC3 was coming out i was excited for Desmond's story and the new character, but when more information came out about trees and enviroment i was then equally excited for the gameplay. I love the AC storyline, i was sold from the beggining.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 02:45 AM
I was sold from trailer 1.

Mr_Shade
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Lets not get abusive...

It's post's like that which start trouble...

And don't EVEN try and go there...

Locking thread..

I am really disappointed about the attitudes of a few people in here - appears the art of debate has been lost on these forums - and I have to baby sit every thread were this subject comes up..