PDA

View Full Version : I miss the Assassin's Creed EXPERIENCE

yly3
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Hello guys..

Been thnking about it for a while now and I will just share my thoughts on the series overall and on the upcoming AC3.
While I am happy that the new game has been in the making for almost 3 years, it still gives me the feeling of a wasted opportunity or unused potential.

Personally, I've become a fan of the series because this game was building an universe on many many layers such as history, politics, religion etc. The starting line of the game with "Created by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs" is the perfect description of the series.
However, ever since Brotherhood that line has lost a significant amount of its strenght..

AC1 had that dark, immersive and tense atmosphere with political conflicts of different people fighting for their different beliefs which I think it was very cool and it made you question of many moral things, of what's right or wrong etc. Combined with a kick-*** soundtrack and amazing graphics (they look decent even now !!) it made me finish that game 4 times. It was an entire world. It was like an entranced drug. Your heart pumping every single time as you were trying to escape after every target was killed. Oh boy, I was actually SCARED sometimes of those guards. While AC has never been a hard game, in the first one I really tried to avoid the guards. You felt like you actually were Altair.

While, in my opinion, the sequel strained too far away from the origins and principles of the first game, AC2 was also great, even though AC1 is still my favourite. it introduced what I called "a GTA Assassin's Creed". It wasn't as immersive and thrilling but it compensated with an beautiful new setting, a wider story which gave you that feeling of accomplishment after you finished it. Again, an amazing soundtrack which even now I still listen to it. It was a more open, friendly game but it still delivered on the cultural aspects, sometimes even bigger and better than AC (Leonardo, the glyphs, Subject 16, Bonfire of the Vanities was amazing etc)
Just wondering around in Venice and in the hidden locations in those big churces was astonishing. Just typing this makes me want to go again and play it.

I think one of the most important strenghts of the first 2 games was this change of cities. It was a great opportunity to change to tone, to let the story progress further, to refresh the experience while moving forward. Something that ACB and ACR lacks entirely.

ACB and ACR..well I just want to forget they existed. In fact, to lower my sorrow, I am telling myself that only AC1 and 2 existed and this way it keeps me more excited than any media of AC3 released so far. I just hope that after finally admitting they made them just to finance AC3, it better be a god **** great one.
They did not reveal anything new, expect Lucy being killed and some light AUDIO backstory to S16 in a DLC. Really that is it. It may sound exagerated, but if you think about Ezio figured it out that he was a newsman (well, dah Sherlock you were the prophet, she wants to speak through you, remember ??) while killing some more Rome and Constantinopole guards without finding out anything about Assassin's or Templars or about Earth as a whole.
Speaking of which, these 2 big DLCs could have been an AMAZING opportunity to further explain and develop TWCB as a character. They are the most exciting thing in the story IMO right next to this ethical war between Templar and Assassins. No spoilers, just backstory, their motives, their wants, their needs.
But no, let's just move from one "god" to another and whisper the same thing over and over again just with different words.
At least apparently Desmond got enlightned, hope he shares the news with us in October.

I honestly think that they won't be able to cover everything. think about it. After ACB and ACR we know NOTHING about TWCB, Adam & Eve and Clay was a wasted shot.
Present day needs IMO at LEAST 4 full sequences a la AC2 to develop them, the understand them and only after that to come to a conclusion. Basically, story wise, like I said we are still were AC2 finished. And if they try to pull a TLA out of it with some pics or audio conversations it would be a massive disappointment.
This is my biggest fear and it the same time annoys me of ACB and ACR and what they could have been.

Do you remember how the forums were in first quarter of 2010 ? Holy cow, it was like a nirvana over here of incredible theories with amazing people. I couldn't believe, for 3 months I was an AC fanatic, I was spending at least 3 hours a day reading and reading and reading. All of those cultural fields were covered and over discused, we were getting even into biology and chemestry ffs.
Now, we are overly talking about over-specific small things like weapons and how many steps Connor makes to climb a tree.

When AC2 trailer was released, I used to think "cool, he has a gun..I'm sure we will use it somewhere in the game", ever since ACB we are thinking "omg he has this and that and we can do this and that, but what if the gun will be used too much, what if what if etc.." but we are failing to deliver a purpose of these "features". They need to work togheter as a whole, with the music, with the characters, with this experience I am talking about.

About AC3, I like this Connor guy. By the looks of it, I may even like him more than Altair, which I never thought I would say that.
I am VERY glad that Corey May is the main writer again, in fact this is the most exciting thing about the game tbh.
I am happy that we are living in a different period again, I am happy that the political war a la AC1 is finally having a comeback.

I may have sounded a bit harsh here and there but I hope this won't turn into a critique topic and we keep a more open, loose discussion about this cultural side of AC without getting too much into specifics.

rileypoole1234
07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I sort of know what you mean about the Forums. What I really miss is the Forums from before Brotherhood was released. Those were great times. There were multitudes of great in depth and thought provoking conversations.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
AC:B was great IMO. It delivered on alot of subjects, politics, corruption, oppression, and even incest. AC:R on the other hand....why does that even exist, thing?

ShaneO7K
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
I sort of know what you mean about the Forums. What I really miss is the Forums from before Brotherhood was released. Those were great times. There were multitudes of great in depth and thought provoking conversations.

I loved this about the AC forum back when I didn't have this account. There was actually some great, unique and well backed up theories and some actually ended up being right, unlike most that are made up now.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Most that are made up now make no sense. I may have joined yeserday, but I have been lurking around since 2010. But there is nothing wrong with discussing game mechanics. It's a GAME afterall, I personally dis-agree there.

yly3
07-04-2012, 12:58 AM
By no means am I saying that we should all pretend like some intelectual only serious hipsters. For example, I enjoy much more how Ezio feels when walking/running than in spinoffs. It feels much more smooth and stylish, can't explain why.
It is more a discussion about the focus of the games and maybe story. Even small details that made things count.
I also like how Connor sprints, it gives him some tension/anger which makes it more enjoyable for me.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 01:01 AM
I personally think a good forum always has a healthy mix of story and gameplay, gameplay obviously always being first since this is well....a game. I think after the game releases, since this is the Desmond conclusion, alot of story based discussions will appear.

Medo3G
07-04-2012, 02:15 AM
All that I've seen is making me feel like AC3 is more AC1 than any of the other gamesI don't know. Maybe because the color corection of the frontier is like the one of Acre, or the fact that there's a war as a backdrop where we kill people from both sides.If they're trying to bring the AC1 feel to the game, judging by what I've seen so far, this as AC1-ish we can get while feeling freshAnd it was obvious that they tried to stuff content in ACB and especially in ACR, they felt like they were trying desperately to fill content into Ezio's story to make the game have sufficient gameplay hours. They felt like AC bloodlines, good enough for a few hours but they just added useless content which caused a lot of forgetable moments in the Ezio storyline.They were good, but not exceptionally good as much as we wanted.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:20 AM
It like combines all the good ideas from all of the games while adding so much more.

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:20 AM
The best time at this forum was when i lurked and the world began to wonder the testicle.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Wait...what?

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Wait...what?Hehe. Read the OP of this thread http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/595834-Why-Assassin-s-Creed-became-boring-Forums

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:36 AM
LOL. Epic fail. And his suggestion of Egypt? that would be the most boring setting right next too WW and Feudal Japan.

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:37 AM
LOL. Epic fail. And his suggestion of Egypt? that would be the most boring setting right next too WW and Feudal Japan.
I think Egypt and Feudal Japan would be fun depending on the time periods.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Ninjas do not fit with Assassin. Assassin's Creed, not Ninja Creed. And oh, Ninjas are the type off ''We hide tonight, sneak into his room and poison his tea or herbs or whatever'' Ninjas are public killings, like the historical Hashashin...which are the Assassin's.

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Ninjas do not fit with Assassin. Assassin's Creed, not Ninja Creed. And oh, Ninjas are the type off ''We hide tonight, sneak into his room and poison his tea or herbs or whatever'' Ninjas are public killings, like the historical Hashashin...which are the Assassin's.

Ninja and Assassin wars. That would be fun. Like the Ninja's and Samurai battles.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Not sure how well that would work. And too me, atleast, Feudal Japan just seems plain.

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Not sure how well that would work. And too me, atleast, Feudal Japan just seems plain.
I think China could be fun as well.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Funny fact: You cant have a gaming console in china. They have been banned since 2000.
Chinese history...not sure really.

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 02:51 AM
Funny fact: You cant have a gaming console in china. They have been banned since 2000.
Chinese history...not sure really.

Did not know that.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 02:55 AM
I did some research because AC II had a Japan version, but never a Chinese version, so I decides too check it out, and there, you cant have one, it's illegal too have one, only way too get one is through Black Market...

Lonesoldier2012
07-04-2012, 03:03 AM
I did some research because AC II had a Japan version, but never a Chinese version, so I decides too check it out, and there, you cant have one, it's illegal too have one, only way too get one is through Black Market...

As of today. Foie Gras is illegal to have in California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras_controversy

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 03:41 AM
LOL. They feed them way too much...