PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Composer Jesper Kyd

im3jia
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Geek: How did you get your start?

Kyd: In my late teens I got my start working in video games being part owner of a developer where I was responsible for all the music. My first big break was the Hitman series, as well as scoring BioWare’s MDK2, and that led to scoring Assassin’s Creed. Every scoring project has led to another with increasing opportunities across all the entertainment genres. Since then I have written over 40 scores for games, film and TV.

Geek: You were the composer for all of the Assassin’s Creed games to date. Can we expect to hear your music in AC3?

Kyd: I have several projects to be announced.

Geek: Could you walk us through your process for defining the overall sound for a series or game?

Kyd: The first thing I look for is to identify the tone of the project. I elaborate on that tone and work to form a complete picture and then I work on the foundation for the music style. I do a lot of pre-writing and experimentation before I lock in the defined music style. Then I write the themes, the melodies and various moods. Sometimes the themes come first and I re-work these into a full score – that happens mostly with film and TV projects.

Geek: Game development can sometimes be notoriously unstable in terms of what will or won’t ship in the final product. What game do you feel got your complete (or as complete as possible) score in there.

Kyd: Most of the projects I’ve worked on feature the vast majority of music in the final release. Since games take so long to develop and have such vast stories even if a particular cue wasn’t an exact fit in one part of the game, I’m often able to re-work that cue into a certain situation in the game elsewhere. We are not asked to write 30 hours of music for a game that takes 30 hours to complete, but since the games are so big, the more music the better.

I recently wrote almost 3 hours of music for Darksiders II which is all in the final version of the game. If for some reason a track is not used in the game, it could also end up on the soundtrack release and still be associated with the project.

Read the full interview here : http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/07/03/interview-composer-jesper-kyd-metal-hurlant-chronicles-and-the-sounds-of-sci-fi/

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I am super excited for DSII, nice too hear that he made the track for that.

freddie_1897
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
ooooooh, is that a hint to doing some stuff for AC3?

JCearlyyears
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I hope he does something for ac3. If not, I'll make my own compilation of songs from him that I think would fit.

SixKeys
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I think his reply is just a diplomatic way to avoid a straight answer. Sometimes people are not allowed to confirm or deny any news about collaboration due to past contract agreements. Lorne Balfe has already confirmed he's the only one working on AC3.

NeroInfernoF7
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Assassin's Creed soundtrack without Jesper = No Assassin's Creed soundtrack.
Truth be told.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Lorne Balfe...wait, he never did AC music..
Tho that small extraction at the end of the Boston demo sounded just so good.

NeroInfernoF7
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Lorne Balfe...wait, he never did AC music..
Tho that small extraction at the end of the Boston demo sounded just so good.

Oh yeah, Lorne. But he co-did the music right? In AC2. I remember seeing him in the ID3 tags...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I rememmber he did some for AC:R, and did the trailer music for AC:B.

NeroInfernoF7
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I rememmber he did some for AC:R, and did the trailer music for AC:B.

RIGHT. ACR it was. Not ACII.
Both games had epic theme songs, that's why I messed them up.

I didn't know he did the trailer music for AC:B, nice!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Too bad it is over run by Tobuscus fanboys who keep spamming the comments with the lyrics.
I wonder how he will approach this one tho. If the extract is anything too go by, pretty good.