PDA

View Full Version : Is The Assassin's Creed 3 Fourth Of July Trailer Awkward For British People?

im3jia
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Assassin-Creed-3-Fourth-July-Trailer-Awkward-British-People-44204.html

Jamison_J_B
07-03-2012, 09:35 AM
ikr, when I saw that video I envisioned a resurgence of U.S. vs Britian war (forum war) again. In some ways I found the trailer alittle strange.

lukaszep
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Obviously they're using 4th July to boost the games profile, so they're advertising the American Revolution which is the backdrop to the entire game. Why not.
I don't find it awkward, but from a British point of view, when Independence Day doesn't signify anything for me, it feels a bit out of the blue.
I guess it's like asking an American, was last years British royal wedding awkward for you?

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Actually, it does a little. It's not awkward, so to speak, and I don't give two sh!ts about who I kill as Connor, but the way the marketing is going, I feel a little less 'included'.

It sounds kinda petty I know. But there are so many US flags and taglines on every trailer, piece of merchandise, and adverts - 'Ignite the revolution', 'Are You Feeling Patriotic?' and 'Declare your Independence' - that there's a definite sense of distance between Americans buying the game, and Brits (and anyone else, I guess).

I hope I'm not alone in this one.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I doubt it will accurately reflect what's in the game. Alex Hutchinson has repeatedly alluded to a disconnection between his creative team and the marketing team. It's a terrible marketing move, since it's really not going to pick up many American buyers with the patriotism angle (a massive percentage of Americans are unhappy with their country at the moment) and as the gentleman above me mentioned, it leaves other nationalities feeling left out.

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I doubt it will accurately reflect what's in the game. Alex Hutchinson has repeatedly alluded to a disconnection between his creative team and the marketing team. It's a terrible marketing move, since it's really not going to pick up many American buyers with the patriotism angle (a massive percentage of Americans are unhappy with their country at the moment) and as the gentleman above me mentioned, it leaves other nationalities feeling left out.

I find quite funny how they openly acknowledge the skewed marketing. But I also agree it's terrible. None of the other games had a slant like this - remember the flyer that revealed the name 'Kenway?':

"Join the Continental Army in a war for our freedom. With your comrades at your side, hunt down British Red Coats through chaotic city streets..."

Assassin_M
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
This is starting to irritate me, it is stupid and idiotic..
At first I was like "Yeah sure its in America, throw a couple of things in there" but now, its just annoying..
I know this wont affect sales whatsoever, but it is completely destroying an Image that the fans have grown to know, which was Neutrality..
I have all the faith in the team and I have no doubt that AC III will truly deliver on what they say, but the marketing is obviously crazed somewhat and its really a throw-off..
I officially hate the trailer..

As far as im concerned this was no Assassins Creed trailer..

Layytez
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I hope people can now understand those when it comes to this American vs British situation. They are not advertising what they claim but the exact opposite.

Legendz54
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
I have always wanted to play as a Native indian, the one who was the silent outsider, i guess for me that makes up for all the american and british scuffling.

MT4K
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
See this is a problem. This constant bias is starting to annoy even the people who defended them previously :-/.

If this continues constantly all the way up until release. i can see it end up hurting Ubisoft's image more than anything else.

As somebody who was defending them previously. i think it is getting a little over the top now and i am finding it harder to feel excited about any new trailers and things every time because like somebody else said before. You don't feel involved as much if you aren't American :-/.

Assassin_M
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
See this is a problem. This constant bias is starting to annoy even the people who defended them previously :-/.

If this continues constantly all the way up until release. i can see it end up hurting Ubisoft's image more than anything else.

As somebody who was defending them previously. i think it is getting a little over the top now and i am finding it harder to feel excited about any new trailers and things every time because like somebody else said before. You don't feel involved as much if you aren't American :-/.
Indeed..

I had really hoped that it wouldn't come to this, but I can actually excuse people being annoyed now, as I am as well..
I strongly defended Ubisoft, but now... well

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
There's just something in the marketing that always seems to be talking to Americans. Like, with this quote I posted just now...

"Join the Continental Army in a war for our freedom. With your comrades at your side, hunt down British Red Coats through chaotic city streets..."

None of that applies unless you are American. 'Comrades' in the Continental Army, hunting Redcoats? That sounds like a neutral viewpoint. This is where the marketing starts to feel a little awkward for me. The point we're at now, I'm starting to think, "Is there anything in this game that I will be able to relate to?

I know there will be, but the marketing is doing a poor job at showing it.

notafanboy
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
let me just say this... the marketing is "#¤%" up

Legendz54

It pains me to say this.. but you are right.. if you have seen my posts you would know by now i am not much of a complainer and i have loved everything about AC3... But now i am not so sure about these extreme one sided trailers. They need to start showing more trailers of The underground war of assassins vs templars and focus less on the war of independance. I do feel left out because i am not american :( But i still have high hopes for the game and i still love everything about AC3.

POP1Fan
Why would it be? It's made for the 4th of July, so of course it's trying to appeal to Americans.It's horrible? Yes it is. For how the try to say the game will be all shades of grey, the trailers sure do not follow that.

Locopells
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
The stupid thing is, while I agree with all the above and have to keep explaining it to people, this is the one trailer I kinda expected to be Pro-Bluecoat, given it's release date. On it's own, I don't have a problem, but in with the rest of the marketing, it's just continuing a bad trend.

Layytez
07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm glad to see those that were defending Ubisoft are finally seeing the other point of view and not just because British were shown being killed all the time.

POP1Fan
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm glad to see those that were defending Ubisoft are finally seeing the other point of view and not just because British were shown being killed all the time.

False.The trailers are made pro-Colonists, but they are not made by the devs.No one knows what the game will be like, but I can bet it won't be like this garbage.

TheHumanTowel
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
This cowardly pandering to the American market is getting pretty sickening at this point. Grow some balls Ubisoft and stop misleading consumers by presenting them an image of the game that isn't representative of the way the game really is. Lost a lot of respect for this company over this debacle.

Legendz54
07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I didn't click on the video to watch a war.. i clicked on that video to see a REAL assassins creed trailer.

GIONAScm2
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
People that get offended by their country's bloodshed in a fictional video game really need to re-think their lives.

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
People that get offended by their country's bloodshed in a fictional video game really need to re-think their lives.

Missing the point a bit. It's not the game itself that is pissing people off.

rileypoole1234
07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm British, it wasn't awkward for me. I quite liked it actually. End of story.

Like M said on the first page, these discussions about British vs America and stuff are stupid and idiotic.

mojsarn
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't think that it's anti-British, it's just that it's too pro-American. I for one wouldn't care who my country fought against for more then 200 years ago but I've grown tired of the "go America" theme you see in media today. But then again, most of the movies and other media comes from America but I didn't expect this from a French company... I think the first Assassins Creed balanced it perfectly between the factions. I really do hope will make the assassins a third faction and prove us wrong...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Yay, first post.
Anyways: I, myself, personally defended Ubisoft on this matter since the first trailer. I took everything they said, harvested all evidence, but the thing that I feel is now that there is really no balance. Now, in the same month, a important day for the British and Americans happen, why not make 2 trailers? one with Connor killing British and one with Ameircans. I am losing hope in the marketing, I still have high spirits for the actuall product being un-biased, but also you must think that you better market the game for what it is.

What if some American who had no prior experience with the series, buys it, thinks the game is pro-American, sees Americans dieing, and then gets pissed off? isn't it fake advertising?

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't think that it's anti-British, it's just that it's too pro-American. I for one wouldn't care who my country fought against for more then 200 years ago but I've grown tired of the "go America" theme you see in media today. But then again, most of the movies and other media comes from America but I didn't expect this from a French company... I think the first Assassins Creed balanced it perfectly between the factions. I really do hope will make the assassins a third faction and prove us wrong...

This! This sums it up perfectly.

Yay, first post.
Anyways: I, myself, personally defended Ubisoft on this matter since the first trailer. I took everything they said, harvested all evidence, but the thing that I feel is now that there is really no balance. Now, in the same month, a important day for the British and Americans happen, why not make 2 trailers? one with Connor killing British and one with Ameircans. I am losing hope in the marketing, I still have high spirits for the actuall product being un-biased, but also you must think that you better market the game for what it is.

What if some American who had no prior experience with the series, buys it, thinks the game is pro-American, sees Americans dieing, and then gets pissed off? isn't it fake advertising?

That's also what bugs me! I thought Ubi were above this sort of thing.
[And welcome to the forums :) ]

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Now, but too be on the fair side, we still got 3 months *Why so slow, WHY SO SLOW?* of time for trailers, screen shots and all of that good stuff. Maybe Ubisoft can correct the mistakes, and bring back hopes for everybody. Speaking of which, Washington was a Freemason, didn't they share ideology's with the Templars? something for people to think about.

Turul.
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
idk what the fuss is about.

the assassin's fought for freedom.

and the colonists fought for freedom.

so wouldn't their be some siding with the colonists?
sure they have their bad apples, but whats so wrong with having Connor's allies be the people who share his beliefs?

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Now, but too be on the fair side, we still got 3 months *Why so slow, WHY SO SLOW?* of time for trailers, screen shots and all of that good stuff. Maybe Ubisoft can correct the mistakes, and bring back hopes for everybody. Speaking of which, Washington was a Freemason, didn't they share ideology's with the Templars? something for people to think about.

I hope they do address the Freemasons. I am still reminded of the fact that Templars planned WW2. :eek:

shanethebouncer
07-03-2012, 04:53 PM

sure they have their bad apples, but whats so wrong with having Connor's allies be the people who share his beliefs?

This. I think the main reason people are upset is because of "ignite the revolution". But the American Revolution is the setting of the story, so I could see how some would think it's biased but as Turul stated the assassins belief aligned more with the colonies. Perhaps "Kill the Templar's" would have sufficed though.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
The amount of YouTube comments that want a WW2 AC make me fant too punch a brick. No WW2 AC, that would be a terrible idea. I like how in game, instead of having Illuminati being the Templars, the Templars are the Illuminati.
Incase that didn't make sense, I think in AC universe the Illuminati is another alias for Templars.

Turul@ ''I saw them fight and die, for freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but FOR WHO?'' Exactly.

Steww-
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I feel like I'm repeating myself too often now, but I'll do it anyway.

The game will capture the grey area between the sides perfectly. Ubisoft usually manage to do this, and Corey May has also expressed his desire to return to more complex Templar characters.

However, the marketing is one-sided, which I think is a shame. When one of the selling points for me is the blur between good and evil, I'm sad that one faction is being favoured. Yes, Connor will help win independence. That doesn't mean you should leave the Brits out, since he will also be fighting with them.

It's actually kinda puzzling. The question they decided to take at E3 allowed them to stress the fact Connor wasn't on one side of the war, then they continue with this style of marketing campaign. On July the 4th I can appreciate why they would go with this theme, but along with everything else...

kriegerdesgottes
07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
If they were really trying to pander to American audiences maybe we wouldn't be getting screwed out of yet another good CE while all your Europeans and probably Australians will get the one we all want. The game is set in the American Revolution in a war between people fighting for their freedom (American colonials), freedom being the thing assassins stand for, and their oppressors (British people who understandably want to keep them under their control) so yes, British people will get killed. This is history. Deal with it. The Germans have to do it constantly in games and they don't constantly cry about it. I understand the trailers are a bit one sided and Connor is dressed in blue which no other assassin has done but like I said, The Americans are fighting for freedom and the British are fighting to withhold that freedom. Who do you think will get killed more often by an assassin?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
One thing that would be VERY biased is if he has no allies in the British side. If he has in the American side, give him some friends in the British.

Krieg@ ''They speak of liberty and justice, but for who?'' exactly.

Steww-
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
If they were really trying to pander to American audiences maybe we wouldn't be getting screwed out of yet another good CE while all your Europeans and probably Australians will get the one we all want. The game is set in the American Revolution in a war between people fighting for their freedom (American colonials), freedom being the thing assassins stand for, and their oppressors (British people who understandably want to keep them under their control) so yes, British people will get killed. This is history. Deal with it. The Germans have to do it constantly in games and they don't constantly cry about it. I understand the trailers are a bit one sided and Connor is dressed in blue which no other assassin has done but like I said, The Americans are fighting for freedom and the British are fighting to withhold that freedom. Who do you think will get killed more often by an assassin?

Firstly, I think you're doing Ubisoft a discredit when you say that "The Americans are fighting for freedom and the British are fighting to withhold that freedom. " The plot will not be that simple, especially with Templar involvement.

Secondly, I don't believe any of us complaining about the marketing doubt that the game will be neutral, and that British people will get killed. But don't you see the problem that this is a key point of AC (see AC1), and it seems to be disregarded in the trailers?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
In AC1, the Crusaders were technically the ''oppressors'' you did not fight exclusively for the Saracens.

kriegerdesgottes
07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Firstly, I think you're doing Ubisoft a discredit when you say that "The Americans are fighting for freedom and the British are fighting to withhold that freedom. " The plot will not be that simple, especially with Templar involvement.

Secondly, I don't believe any of us complaining about the marketing doubt that the game will be neutral, and that British people will get killed. But don't you see the problem that this is a key point of AC (see AC1), and it seems to be disregarded in the trailers?

Well historically though, that is exactly what happened. It's not doing Ubisoft a discredit to recognize what really happened. The Americans, most of which no longer considered themselves even British since many of them were 5th or 6th generation Americans, no longer wanted to be ruled by a foreign king whose only interest in them was revenue and arbitrary laws forbidding them to trade with other nations. In the defense of the British, the Americans payed much less taxes than a typical person in London at the time and enjoyed much more freedom but they became used to it and when the British Crown started flexing its muscle because it wanted to Americans do pay for the French and Indian war, it made a lot of Americans angry who quite frankly had no interest in being British and wanted their own country and their own freedom and the British had no intention of giving it to them obviously. So in that sense yes. It is a war about colonials wanting their freedom from an oppressive empire. (yes it was oppressive as Thomas Paine points out several times in "Common Sense").

I will agree though with your second point that the trailers and advertising are a little one sided but it is a war about colonial people asking for freedom and being denied it and then fighting and beating the most powerful empire in the world in order to gain that freedom so I can understand the one sidedness of something like that on a day like the 4th of July when the whole country celebrates not having to be British lol. We all still celebrate those events today so that is of course something that Ubisoft would acknowledge. Why wouldn't they? So they don't hurt your feelings?

Steww-
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, historically maybe that is what happened. I don't know, I've not studied it. But I don't honestly think this game will be "Americans:Good guys, British:Bad guys" , as I feel Ubisoft go deeper than that. That's the discrediting I meant. Especially when we have no idea how the Templars are involved in this, and that will be such a huge thing.

"I can understand the one sidedness of something like that on a day like the 4th of July when the whole country celebrates not having to be British "
So can everyone. The problem is this in combination with probably every other trailer, and other forms of the marketing.

"We all still celebrate those events today so that is of course something that Ubisoft would acknowledge. Why wouldn't they? So they don't hurt your feelings?"
What I said above covers this, but my feelings will not be hurt. It's just that some people, including me, are feeling a bit disconnected.

kriegerdesgottes
07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Yes, historically maybe that is what happened. I don't know, I've not studied it. But I don't honestly think this game will be "Americans:Good guys, British:Bad guys" , as I feel Ubisoft go deeper than that. That's the discrediting I meant. Especially when we have no idea how the Templars are involved in this, and that will be such a huge thing.

"I can understand the one sidedness of something like that on a day like the 4th of July when the whole country celebrates not having to be British "
So can everyone. The problem is this in combination with probably every other trailer, and other forms of the marketing.

"We all still celebrate those events today so that is of course something that Ubisoft would acknowledge. Why wouldn't they? So they don't hurt your feelings?"
What I said above covers this, but my feelings will not be hurt. It's just that some people, including me, are feeling a bit disconnected.

Yeah I don't think it will be quite that simple either as Americans good and British bad either and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make is that Ubisoft is dealing with the history that is there and so they are going to portray that as it happened but I agree with you that Americans will get killed by assassins because obviously they weren't all perfect and wonderful and I'm sure Ubisoft will show both sides of the conflict and that's why I just don't understand the complaints. Yes like I said the advertising is a bit one sided I will agree but again, they are just dealing with the history they are given. I will also say I can understand you feeling disconnected. I suppose if it was the other way around and they used the same marketing as Join your brothers against the Americans or win your independence of the U.S.A. lol I can't even imagine that actually. That would be crazy so yeah I do understand that point.

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM

To me, it feels like AC3 is turning into some exclusive club, to which not everyone is included.

GunnarGunderson
07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
It did seem like pandering but I did some numbers and I counted 75 dead americans in this trailer, compared to the 54 dead redcoats in all the others

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Here is the part EVERYBODY dosen't think off: There are Templars in the Americans...and they want too do what the Templars want too do, in a way, if Connor lets them, even if the Americans won, it's technically the same thing as having a British rule because the Templars are in they're ranks controlling everything. Basically what I am saying is that those Americans that are fighting for freedom, if they're fight was won by Templars, dosen't that mean they fought for nothing?

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
It did seem like pandering but I did some numbers and I counted 75 dead americans in this trailer, compared to the 54 dead redcoats in all the others

[did Connor assassinate them all?]

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
If Connor has some godly superpowers, I really doubt it.

fucduck
07-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I seriously just created an account for the sole purpose of replying to this thread. lol

I'm a Brazilian and a big fan of AC series, I can still remember the very first AC trailer when it came out for the first time; some people consider Brotherhood a **** game, but for me, it was all ok, until now...
The way Revelations ended was kinda awesome, really, it really did make me want to play in America (the continent, not the USA). Tune with me in my thoughts, imagine you, playing as an assassin, with association with the American (USA) gangs, blending amount the crowd in Dia de los Muertos (Mexico), fighting the Templars in the icylands of Canada; only to end up with all your allies inside a Mayan Dungeon, racing against the Templars to the Vault. It would be a hella of a game, and Skyrim proved games huge like that are possible. Just imagine that, hiring some Mexican cortesans, USA gang of thieves and Canadian riders... It would be a much better game, with much more space in History to find strange deaths to use in-game.

The new AC3 trailers is just ****; seriously. Totally ruined the series for the rest of the world.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Lol no. AC was never going too be set in the modern day, one of the points of AC is too explore major time periods with Assassin's vs Templar elements. Nobody wants a AC shooter, all of those ideas seem largely, I am sorry, stupid. And oh, because of big Skyrim was, it lacked any focus and everything was largely forgettable. And umm...Desmond and the team parked right infront of the Temple -__-

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Fighting with gangs sounds like someone did something that Robert Downey Jr advised against in Tropic Thunder.

Even as an American, the patriotic stuff doesn't get to me at all really (lot's of family and friends in the military and such) but I got to say, most of these trailers just in general... suck. I got more goosebumps watching the gameplay from E3 for Splinter Cell, ACIII, and Last of Us than I have from any of these trailers they have released. The marketing team is seriously lacking IMO.

freddie_1897
07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Assassins creed should never be held back by the truth. IF AC3 was siding with the colonists and calling them the good guys then it would be boring, true, accurate, but boring. I am English, i don't care who i kill, i will buy this game anyway. the marketing is a bit biased, that much is true. But if Ubisoft portray the Colonists as the good guy in the game (which i doubt) just so that they can follow what is widely regarded by a lot of the world then i will be very disappointed. Because AC shows the battle hidden beneath the lines, it shows both sides of the struggle and that is something that should not change. There is no true good guy in war. there are two bad sides. one slightly less bad than the other

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=HaSoOoN-MHD;8435563][Here is the part EVERYBODY dosen't think off: There are Templars in the Americans...and they want too do what the Templars want too do, in a way, if Connor lets them, even if the Americans won, it's technically the same thing as having a British rule because the Templars are in they're ranks controlling everything. Basically what I am saying is that those Americans that are fighting for freedom, if they're fight was won by Templars, dosen't that mean they fought for nothing?/QUOTE]

I quote myself again so people can see why I beleive the theory of freedom is un-accurate.

kriegerdesgottes
07-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Fighting with gangs sounds like someone did something that Robert Downey Jr advised against in Tropic Thunder.

Even as an American, the patriotic stuff doesn't get to me at all really (lot's of family and friends in the military and such) but I got to say, most of these trailers just in general... suck. I got more goosebumps watching the gameplay from E3 for Splinter Cell, ACIII, and Last of Us than I have from any of these trailers they have released. The marketing team is seriously lacking IMO.

I have to say I wasn't super impressed this year with the E3 trailer for ACIII. It was ok but it wasn't as good as any of the others I would say. Oddly enough though I thought the Revelations E3 trailer was just amazing. Too bad the game didn't turn out that way.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
AC:R's trailer, Ezio headbutts a armored guard with a helmet at the age of 52, with honestly, some really crappy music. AC III's trailer was my favorite of all the AC games. Specially that music when he shoots the bow.

freddie_1897
07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
AC1 trailer.

so much epicness

fucduck
07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I meant something like this:
Gangs of New York http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_of_New_York
not GTA :P

Skyrim didn't focus on only one story, that the thing about it, ditch all the side quests Guild Quests and throw all their effort into only one Main Quest; it would be a fricking huge game with an epic story. AC does just that, that's why it would work with the AC team.
And Desmond and his team teleporting to the USA was the ****tiest part of the whole AC series. He doesn't have to move to another country to access part of his DNA. They could have left in Europe and used the "having to go to the USA in the 'real world'" as an excellent plot for an AC game that you finally get to play as Desmond.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
No. AC is about exploring pivotal moments of history. New York Gangs are not one of them, And he did not teleport , that entire team you were in the Animus, what do you think the team was doing? he probably does not KNOW about Connor until post-modern day introduction.

fucduck
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
No. AC is about exploring pivotal moments of history. New York Gangs are not one of them, And he did not teleport , that entire team you were in the Animus, what do you think the team was doing? he probably does not KNOW about Connor until post-modern day introduction.

They could have used the Inception way of seeing time. As if Desmond lives 39573985 years inside Animus, but in reality it just passed a few hours. Would make him a much more badass character. Just like "I know Kung fu." Up until now, Desmond is just a bag of sand, with no actual use. He is simply the glue that tie all the stories together, apart of that, he is useless.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
....What do you think we have doing with him this entire series? the entire point of using the Bleeding Effect was too make him the Ultimate Assassin. Really, he was not supposed too have much use until this game.

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I have to say I wasn't super impressed this year with the E3 trailer for ACIII. It was ok but it wasn't as good as any of the others I would say. Oddly enough though I thought the Revelations E3 trailer was just amazing. Too bad the game didn't turn out that way.The E3 trailer wasn't that impressive but the gameplay was for me.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I personally loved it. My second favorite AC trailer is AC1. Trailer convinced me too buy a PS3 *Had no compelling reason too get one yet, until I saw AC*

fucduck
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
....What do you think we have doing with him this entire series? the entire point of using the Bleeding Effect was too make him the Ultimate Assassin. Really, he was not supposed too have much use until this game.

He wont have any use in this game. They will find the Vault (inside Animus) and then the game will end with Desmond saying some **** like "ok, let's go inside." And then Ubisoft would throw you a new AC title, and Desmond would go inside Animus 4.0 and review another memory of some other random assassin. And in the end, all the "Ultimate Assassin" would do, will be push a button.
It would be much more epic if you had to escape Europe, move to the USA and go to the Vault PLAYING as Desmond, fighting your way there. Actually using the "Ultimate Assassin"; instead of people teleporting and ****. lol

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Stop using the world teleport, it's incorrect in this situation.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
....Alisse *Lead AI and Gameplay* of AC III said Desmond has a HUGE role in AC III, this is the conclusion too his story, nobody wants a modern day AC III, one of things that people love about AC is exploring historical periods, seeing historical people and interacting with them *And being able too study for a history test using a game :P* It's the end of the Desmond story, of course he will have a big role.

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
*And being able too study for a history test using a game :P*

Glad I'm not the only one that used parts of AC II and Brotherhood to help them study for a Western Europe college history course when dealing with Machiavelli and the Borgias.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I had 2 history tests about the Crusades and the Renissance, **** I felt so accomplished by studying using the database and the game.

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I had 2 history tests about the Crusades and the Renissance, **** I felt so accomplished by studying using the database and the game.

I felt glad that they portrayed Machiavelli properly. He wasn't a nice guy, he just knew that the best way to get stuff done wasn't necessarily tip-toeing around everyone.

One thing I found lulzy was how ACII ignored the fact that even though the Borgia's got overthrown in Florence they ended up coming back and taking it over again from the Medici and then killed Machiavelli because he worked for them initially and then jumped ship to the Medici. At least that's how I learned it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Machiavelli was actually friends with the Borgia. Even tho you obviously dont see him as a ally for the Borgia it is touched one when Ezio says ''I hear admiration in you're voice'' and when La Volpe suggests proof that he is a traitor.

Gregolian
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Machiavelli was actually friends with the Borgia. Even tho you obviously dont see him as a ally for the Borgia it is touched one when Ezio says ''I hear admiration in you're voice'' and when La Volpe suggests proof that he is a traitor.

I need to replay ACII, there is stuff I keep forgetting about it.

fucduck
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
....Alisse *Lead AI and Gameplay* of AC III said Desmond has a HUGE role in AC III, this is the conclusion too his story, nobody wants a modern day AC III, one of things that people love about AC is exploring historical periods, seeing historical people and interacting with them *And being able too study for a history test using a game :P* It's the end of the Desmond story, of course he will have a big role.

She's just selling her product. Look, I made something for you ♥
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/fucduck/desmond.gif

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/fucduck/desmond.gif

XD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
XDDDDDD Even tho that is directed at me, you owe me Pepsi, I spit out laughing. He will do more than that, 100% sure.

D173120T
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I have been wondering about this US v GB debate thing.What if the game were set in the American Civil war?Would Bubba and Cleetus and the rest of the Southern guys be up in arms about a federal Protagonist slaughtering the Boys in Grey?What if the Protagonist was a runaway slave of African decent?How would this go down?Taking it further,if it were set in the English Civil War would there be an outcry of Catholics against Protestants?Do games need to be "Politically Correct"?for myself i dont think its a good move to use the US Independence Day celebrations to promote the game.Its a bit like promoting a WW2 game on Holocaust day!Not a good move.Speaking as a brit,i would PMSL if it turns out that George Washington was a templar!

shanethebouncer
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I think the holocaust would be a bit more touchy than an insurrection don't ya think.

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I would love if Washington was a Templar, especially if Connor trusts him and he appears to be a good guy. It would further the idea that Assassins and Templars aren't Good and Evil. they just have different methods of achieving the same thing, and that it can happen that if asked to make a choice between what is 'right' and what is 'easy', not everyone chooses that same path. And that Nothing is true.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 08:26 PM
If Geroge is a Templar, I will admit that I was wrong at the bias.

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
However, if Charles Lee is both Connor's father and a Templar, I will not be happy.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Why, exactly?

Felix-Vivo
07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
"No, Luke... I am your father."

Go figure.

:)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
''No Connor...I am your father''
I want that now. It even rhymes :P

Lonesoldier2012
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe. But this is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyqYk-Llgs

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe. But this is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyqYk-Llgs

Didn't you post that on another thread?

Lonesoldier2012
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't you post that on another thread?

Yeah but it still applies. Lol.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah but it still applies. Lol.

Have it you're way I guess :P

Jamison_J_B
07-04-2012, 03:07 AM

The problem, as I see it, is these vids are feeling pro-u.s. Now I don't have a issue with my country (aside from the horrible economy and federally controlled health care system), what I do have issues with is a game that is suppose to be about basic liberties, and the marketing team is pandering to United States consumers. I'm with most of the people here, it's starting to get old real fast.

To the people from other countries, just know that some americans agree with you on this matter.

kudos17
07-04-2012, 04:48 AM
I often defended Ubisoft, as I realize the disconnect between the devs and the marketing. I also know that neutrality will exist, on Connor's revealed attitude alone. He doesn't treat the Colonists like freedom defenders. He reluctantly sides with them because they aren't impeding the general people's freedom in his eyes... yet. Watch the videos. Does he ever say any kind remarks? No. He's extremely blunt with the Colonists, and it's not just because he is a blunt person. He doesn't really like them (they are intruders on his land, after all, despite his British heritage).

So I know that Connor will be neutral. I just don't know about the game. Every trailer, pre-order ad, video has a giant American flag somewhere on it. Or it depicts Redcoats being slaughtered.

As an American, I'm pissed. I get enough of that around here. America is not a perfect country and I'm tired of it being depicted like we're always right in various media. I can't imagine how annoying it is for people who don't live in America, especially Britain (well, actually, I can, given the responses around here).

So I better see more than just doubt from Connor. I wanna see some doubt from the game itself. I want to see Colonists being truly mean and provoking the British first; I want to see the guerrilla attacks initiated from Colonists. I want game-related proof that they're neutral, not just the dev's word and Connor's attitude. If I can't get that in trailers, fine. But I hope it is in the game. I trust Ubi, but that trust is stretched with each new trailer.

menacefox
07-04-2012, 05:00 AM
People from the UK shouldn't complain about this. I mean, how does the rest of the world feel about ZombiU?
The game (ZombiU) takes place in Britain and it solely represents British bravery and patriotism, against alien zombies that is. (from what we have been told)

But yeah...

Also, when the trailer for ZombiU premiered - the U.S. audience also had to listen to the "God save the Queen" anthem. No one complained.

But for what it's worth - maybe I just can't relate myself to play as a British survivor during the zombie apocalypse. See, in America, we would have had a lot more guns to fight those zombies off. Especially down in Texas. This would have given us like the Call of Duty arsenal in this specific game. LOL!

All jokes aside. ZombiU is probably going to better than AC3 in the long run. In that game, the concept that when you are killed - you have to start as a new survivor is very neat. I'm really looking forward to that. Also, the game will be released on the other future consoles too. (Still debating about getting the Wii-U)

Basically, what I'm trying to say, Ubisoft is not trying to insult the British. Americans are not trying to insult the British. It happened, it's the past, this is a game. Life goes on.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
07-04-2012, 05:32 AM
I don't think it should be, it was mostly for the announcement of the US special edition. It was really the "Legacy Trailer".

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 05:44 AM
''ZombiU is probably going to better than AC3''
I dont even just what in-
Nevermind.
They said more British Templars than American, ya know, the usual marketing strategy of everything including Americans. Sad because Americans dont want that.

menacefox
07-04-2012, 06:04 AM
''ZombiU is probably going to better than AC3''
I dont even just what in-
Nevermind.
They said more British Templars than American, ya know, the usual marketing strategy of everything including Americans. Sad because Americans dont want that.
Once you beat AC3, it loses it's replay value.
Did you know that people still play that old Call of Duty game because it has the Zombie mode? (not sure which one it is, never got into COD)
Also, one of the most popular phone games is Plants vs. Zombies. Go figure.
The fact is, the majority of people now love zombie games more than they love stealth type of games.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 06:07 AM
No. hanging people from trees will never, ever, EVER
I repeat, EVER get old.

menacefox
07-04-2012, 06:23 AM
No. hanging people from trees will never, ever, EVER
I repeat, EVER get old.
It already did. There was a mod for it in Skyrim. lol.

Captain Tomatoz
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Once you beat AC3, it loses it's replay value.

Once YOU beat AC it loses its replay value. I have played through the first 4 games countless amounts of times and it never gets old, and I'm sure most people on this forum will agree with me.

Felix-Vivo
07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I often defended Ubisoft, as I realize the disconnect between the devs and the marketing. I also know that neutrality will exist, on Connor's revealed attitude alone. He doesn't treat the Colonists like freedom defenders. He reluctantly sides with them because they aren't impeding the general people's freedom in his eyes... yet. Watch the videos. Does he ever say any kind remarks? No. He's extremely blunt with the Colonists, and it's not just because he is a blunt person. He doesn't really like them (they are intruders on his land, after all, despite his British heritage).

So I know that Connor will be neutral. I just don't know about the game. Every trailer, pre-order ad, video has a giant American flag somewhere on it. Or it depicts Redcoats being slaughtered.

As an American, I'm pissed. I get enough of that around here. America is not a perfect country and I'm tired of it being depicted like we're always right in various media. I can't imagine how annoying it is for people who don't live in America, especially Britain (well, actually, I can, given the responses around here).

So I better see more than just doubt from Connor. I wanna see some doubt from the game itself. I want to see Colonists being truly mean and provoking the British first; I want to see the guerrilla attacks initiated from Colonists. I want game-related proof that they're neutral, not just the dev's word and Connor's attitude. If I can't get that in trailers, fine. But I hope it is in the game. I trust Ubi, but that trust is stretched with each new trailer.

This I agree with! In the E3 trailer when that guy tld him to wait and he just kept marching straight on.... that was better than all this gung-ho flags waving and Amazing Grace. It's all a bit too in my face.

I trust the devs, but eventually I will start ignoring these trailers and just waiting for the game.

People from the UK shouldn't complain about this. I mean, how does the rest of the world feel about ZombiU?
The game (ZombiU) takes place in Britain and it solely represents British bravery and patriotism, against alien zombies that is. (from what we have been told)

But yeah...

Also, when the trailer for ZombiU premiered - the U.S. audience also had to listen to the "God save the Queen" anthem. No one complained.

But for what it's worth - maybe I just can't relate myself to play as a British survivor during the zombie apocalypse. See, in America, we would have had a lot more guns to fight those zombies off. Especially down in Texas. This would have given us like the Call of Duty arsenal in this specific game. LOL!

All jokes aside. ZombiU is probably going to better than AC3 in the long run. In that game, the concept that when you are killed - you have to start as a new survivor is very neat. I'm really looking forward to that. Also, the game will be released on the other future consoles too. (Still debating about getting the Wii-U)

Basically, what I'm trying to say, Ubisoft is not trying to insult the British. Americans are not trying to insult the British. It happened, it's the past, this is a game. Life goes on.

The difference with that is that God Save The Queen was being used for irony. It was ironic. And that wasn't a trailer showing battle between two countries, just human fighting zombies.

HoneysuckleRose
07-04-2012, 11:28 AM

I find this comment very reassuring :)

I'm British and I have to say I was getting frustrated that any time someone made a negative comment about the AC3 marketing some peoples first reaction was to accuse them of being Anti-American. I know there have been some incredibly childish comments from some British people but I hope you know they don't speak for all of us!

What I (and a lot of other people, not just fellow Brits) are finding frustrating is the very heavily pro-American slant of the marketing despite Ubisoft insisting the game will be balanced, with Templars on both sides. I don't recall any flags on the cover of any of the other AC games or merchandise (though I may be wrong!). Someone on here made an interesting point earlier, if someone sees all the trailers etc for this game who has never played AC before, they can be forgiven for making certain assumptions about what the game will be like. If they then go ahead and buy the game then they're going to be a bit disappointed when they find out what the game is really like.

I used to feel confident the game would be neutral, despite the marketing, but now I'm not so sure.

kudos17 says it very well with his last sentence...

I trust Ubi, but that trust is stretched with each new trailer.

medcsu
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I am British and do not feel awkward in any manner. In fact, I believe those becoming irritated about the setting of this game and the "favoritism" toward the Yanks are wankers who are complaining because:
a) They know nothing about history surrounding the events in question
b) Are so very ignorant to not realize that America is by far the most generous country in the world
c) Are liberal hippy types that are from the mind set "Oh look, America get's something ELSE!"

Those complaining about the killing of Brits from the preview....I wonder if they complained when Altair mowed down numerous English soldiers in AC1. No, they didn't and the reason is an American wasn't doing it which seems to unravel the uneducated turds who are simply looking to spew hate toward something they are literally programmed to dislike.

Locopells
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
You do realise ignoring the entire argument and flaming like that won't get you anywhere, right?

brick177
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
*sigh*

Locopells
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Too right.

WolfTemplar94
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Alex and Corey must be getting so frustrated with the Marketting Department at the moment.

Also, I feel like the reason the "Pro-American" campaigning is because there's a twist where they're bad guys as well, and they want it to be unexpected.

medcsu
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
You do realise ignoring the entire argument and flaming like that won't get you anywhere, right?

I am not trying to get anywhere (if you are speaking to me). I am simply stating the obvious.

NeroInfernoF7
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
One of the fun questions we get all the time is – are you only killing British people? And the actual answer to that is - yes, because before the end of the game there are no American people, so it’s a ridiculous question! Everyone is British, even the patriots… weren’t even sure if they wanted to secede, they just didn’t want to deal with the problems they had at the time. It’s a funny question. So yeah, we dig into it as much as possible, and obviously we have the huge Animus database and all that stuff for people that want to read more, but you should be fine with no knowledge.

There you have it.

I think I'm starting to understand why we are fighting mostly redcoats...
The "Americans" are trying to break free from the redcoats control! And
Templars try to achieve world peace, but in a bad way = controlling the people.

Should have read more about the revolution.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I am British and do not feel awkward in any manner. In fact, I believe those becoming irritated about the setting of this game and the "favoritism" toward the Yanks are wankers who are complaining because:
a) They know nothing about history surrounding the events in question
b) Are so very ignorant to not realize that America is by far the most generous country in the world
c) Are liberal hippy types that are from the mind set "Oh look, America get's something ELSE!"

Those complaining about the killing of Brits from the preview....I wonder if they complained when Altair mowed down numerous English soldiers in AC1. No, they didn't and the reason is an American wasn't doing it which seems to unravel the uneducated turds who are simply looking to spew hate toward something they are literally programmed to dislike.

I laughed. And laughed. How do we know nothing? it was a shade of grey fight. You dont know that, and AC1 was BALANCED, which is why no one complained. I want a shade of grey story, the Templars are everywhere, not this....

AllThatJuice
07-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I was so offended by the trailer I threw up and suffered muscular spasms, whilst twitching on the floor. My Mother was very worried so she rang 999 (not 911 like you filthy Americans).

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I was so offended by the trailer I threw up and suffered muscular spasms, whilst twitching on the floor. My Mother was very worried so she rang 999 (not 911 like you filthy Americans).

Somebody give this man a award.

benthepigeon
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
For me, this is just quite clearly a bad move on the whole for the marketing department. It's fair enough having an American based trailer released on 4th July, but like others have said, this clearly isn't the only trailer showing nothing but Conor fighting against redcoats. I have no real doubts that this game will be fantastic, and I'm sure like Ubi have said it will be neutral, and he'll just be killing Templars and whoever gets in his way (British or otherwise).
I'm just concerned for those who are new to the series, they'll probably look at all these trailers, see the assassin fighting against British oppressors and be entirely mislead. As a Brit I couldn't care less if I'm playing a game killing Brits, whether its in a modern game or set 200 years ago, its just a freaking game. I just think the marketing team are really letting down the guys actually developing the game by advertising it as something it's not.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
The thing is the dev are trying extremely hard too make it neutral, but the marketing team dosen't. Get. It.

freddie_1897
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
i am so sick of their marketing. good thing the marketing director for AC has left to find a new challenge. he should go and do the marketing for CoD. i mean even people on this forum who are American admit that their marketing is stupid and biased

TheHumanTowel
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
i am so sick of their marketing. good thing the marketing director for AC has left to find a new challenge. he should go and do the marketing for CoD. i mean even people on this forum who are American admit that their marketing is stupid and biased
The people defending this don't realise people are criticizing the biased marketing, not saying the game itself will be pro-america.

ConorMcA
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I’ve said this before, but a lot of game trailers nowadays are geared towards people who have never touched the series in question. So marketing gives them an easily identifiable theme to latch onto. Look at the amount of “Fight for Earth’s freedom” type trailers we got with games like Halo, Resistance, Mass Effect etc. It’s simple and easy to understand for people not familiar with the story.

This is why almost all of the AC trailers are never centred around the Pieces of Eden, the First Civilization, the end of the world etc. Look at the marketing for Assassin’s Creed II, we very rarely heard anything about Assassins vs Templars, it was all “get revenge, take vengeance, shed the blood of the guilty.” With AC Brotherhood, it was “Grrr…look at those evil suppressors of Rome! Look how bad they’ve made everything, go kick their ***!” To be fair, AC Revelations did show some more of the Assassin’s vs Templar conflict than the previous games did in their marketing.

Now in the case of AC3, If Connor was showing killing bluecoats, there could be knee-jerk reactions from the media and people unfamiliar with the franchise, potentially leading to some sort of snowballing “This game is anti-american” campaign, because they are unaware as to why he’s killing bluecoats i.e the Assassin vs Templar conflict.

So, marketing has taken the safer option so as to avoid potentially putting off newcomers to the series from a huge country, and thus a huge part of their market. If they show footage of Connor slaughtering redcoats and give a very pro-patriot slant, these people will identify instantly with it and be interested in the game, they don’t even need to know what an “Assassin” or a “Templar” actually is.

I still absolutely believe that the game won't be as one sided as the marketing suggests it’ll be, I know that the actual development team of ACIII have not and will not be as silly as that. It’s just a shame that the marketing is being a little bit *****-ish in it’s approach to things.

Just my two cents. Or pence, to be neutral. :cool:

Layytez
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Hopefully with enough agro caused by the fans Ubisoft will be forced to show us gameplay of Americans being killed too ;) (I care more the gameplay part)

freddie_1897
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
The people defending this don't realise people are criticizing the biased marketing, not saying the game itself will be pro-america.
of course not, i have a huge amount of respect for the developers and i think Alex Hutchinson is brilliant. but the marketing for this game has just left anyone who doesn't associate with being american out. i'm not saying that they didn't like the trailers, but they just don't affect anyone who isn't american that much at all. and for the British people who are new to assassins creed and don't read up on the interviews but see the trailers will probably get the wrong impression of the game and not buy it. Because the marketing is depicting the British as Nazis. and all the american super patriots, who buy this game because they've only been looking at the marketing will throw a tantrum when they realise that they've just killed a colonist. and fox news will go and rip AC to shreds

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I’ve said this before, but a lot of game trailers nowadays are geared towards people who have never touched the series in question. So marketing gives them an easily identifiable theme to latch onto. Look at the amount of “Fight for Earth’s freedom” type trailers we got with games like Halo, Resistance, Mass Effect etc. It’s simple and easy to understand for people not familiar with the story.

This is why almost all of the AC trailers are never centred around the Pieces of Eden, the First Civilization, the end of the world etc. Look at the marketing for Assassin’s Creed II, we very rarely heard anything about Assassins vs Templars, it was all “get revenge, take vengeance, shed the blood of the guilty.” With AC Brotherhood, it was “Grrr…look at those evil suppressors of Rome! Look how bad they’ve made everything, go kick their ***!” To be fair, AC Revelations did show some more of the Assassin’s vs Templar conflict than the previous games did in their marketing.

Now in the case of AC3, If Connor was showing killing bluecoats, there could be knee-jerk reactions from the media and people unfamiliar with the franchise, potentially leading to some sort of snowballing “This game is anti-american” campaign, because they are unaware as to why he’s killing bluecoats i.e the Assassin vs Templar conflict.

So, marketing has taken the safer option so as to avoid potentially putting off newcomers to the series from a huge country, and thus a huge part of their market. If they show footage of Connor slaughtering redcoats and give a very pro-patriot slant, these people will identify instantly with it and be interested in the game, they don’t even need to know what an “Assassin” or a “Templar” actually is.

I still absolutely believe that the game won't be as one sided as the marketing suggests it’ll be, I know that the actual development team of ACIII have not and will not be as silly as that. It’s just a shame that the marketing is being a little bit *****-ish in it’s approach to things.

Just my two cents. Or pence, to be neutral. :cool:

But when those patriotic Americans play the game, see Americans getting killed, more problems for Ubisoft as it will be labelled as fake advertising.

ConorMcA
07-04-2012, 04:18 PM
No, because when they play the game the story will be explained in full context, which can't be done in a lot of trailers. They'll be exposed to the Assassin VS Templar war and realize why they are killing the bluecoats. Unless they are completely ignorant.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
No, because when they play the game the story will be explained in full context, which can't be done in a lot of trailers. They'll be exposed to the Assassin VS Templar war and realize why they are killing the bluecoats. Unless they are completely ignorant.

I think you dont realize the amount of people that dont pay attention or dis-miss reason..

ConorMcA
07-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe I am - we'll see at the end of October. :)

freddie_1897
07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
oh it can, i think i knew the whole of revelations plot before the game came out

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Even if everything is given full context and explanation, American Patriots will still rage.

ChaosxNetwork
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't mind who i kill as Connor himself, in my eyes he is an American Assassin more than anything else. That doesn't bother me at all (The Italians have been shown as bad guys for three games!)
But the marketing is really getting to me.
We get the point Ubisoft now let it lie.
Oh and the whole "Independence Day" is far more a slap to the face each year.

Locopells
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't see what's wrong with Independence Day itself. We celebrate Guy Fawkes, despite the religious angle...

CSKarasu
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Ubisoft from day one have said one thing and then released trailer after trailer negating what they have said. Either the marketing team have absolutely no accountability to anyone or Ubisoft don't have a care and just release trailers to pander and then damage control afterwards with press statements.

Ubisoft your behaviour and your message you are sending across is disappointing.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Guy Fawkes is badass.
Well, not him, but V is badass, and V wears a Guy Fawkes mask, so go figure.

jmk1999
07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
honestly, the trailer doesn't make sense for a british trailer... i can understand awkwardness in that... but let's face it, it's a freaking trailer. don't take it for more than it is. let's keep the ignorant flaming and swearing out of this thread. this issue rises again and again. if you're for it or against it, great... but let's not turn this thread into another one that needs to be closed.

she-assassin
07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm starting to believe that this whole blatantly pro-American marketing is just some kind of twisted inside joke on Ubi's part. I mean, come on. This kind of stuff gets sickening pretty quickly not only to the British, but to the whole world (the Americans included). :rolleyes: Ubisoft, what are you trying to accomplish?

medcsu
07-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I think you dont realize the amount of people that dont pay attention or dis-miss reason..

And I don't think you realize how much of a crybaby you look like that is just trolling due to his/her absolute hatred toward a certain country.

The trailers have been great. Love all I have seen and can't wait to find out the story.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
..No. It is a simple fact that if the game is sold as a Patriotic game, people will dis-miss context, report too Fox news or some crap like that, and we get the scenario mentioned beforehand

medcsu
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
..No. It is a simple fact that if the game is sold as a Patriotic game, people will dis-miss context, report too Fox news or some crap like that, and we get the scenario mentioned beforehand

I will not disagree with that some people will dismiss context but you earlier made comment that many will dismiss it which I highly disagree with. The ignorant will dismiss it, but those who know history and those who can take things in a contextual manner (which I firmly believe makes up a decent bulk of AC players) will find it as simply a trailer.

Further, those who have paid attention to the other trailers realize that even Connor himself says he can care less about the war itself and he is just after the Templars. Again, further, Ubisoft has already confirmed Templars will be on both sides. Why not just play the game and see where it turns out? I would be willing to bet it turns out very well and both sides are represented well. Besides, the yanks I know (and I know many) would not "rage" at all if Bluecoats are killed and I for one hope they are due to keeping this legit and more realistic.

I went after you because post after post you have made say the same basic things and it comes off as trolling. How can you not see that (and I am serious, cmon now, you have made the same type post probably 20 times on a constant basis).

The mere fact you bring up Fox news tells me you have a more politically oriented desire in your posts. Cmon HaSoOon, your posts have typically always been spot on and intelligent but in this subject you seem to simply be rash and angered. Why? Ezio killed a considerable amount of guards, does that mean all guards were Templars? My point is, who cares, it's a game and in every game there has been a decent amount of gray but some things that have not been totally consistent with that line. I, for one, (and again, am British and can care less about American politics) feel Ubisoft has a great track record of the "gray shade" you mentioned and we should, at the very least, give them a chance before opinions are thrown about.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
The reason I brought up Fox is a recent even with Tomb Raider. They put words in our mouths and spread it out. Something having too do with the rape scene, so really, I just hated that and dont want too see the same thing in AC.

jmk1999
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
alright, guys... back on topic. let's not throw unnecessary words and arguments around.

medcsu
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
The reason I brought up Fox is a recent even with Tomb Raider. They put words in our mouths and spread it out. Something having too do with the rape scene, so really, I just hated that and dont want too see the same thing in AC.

I just had to look up that Tomb Raider rape scene issue because I hadn't heard of it. It's really amazing how some of those Fox News idiots like to delve into video games like they know what they are babbling on about, on this I agree with you 100 percent. If memory serves, they also made an attempt at Mass Effect before the game even came out, as well.

medcsu
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
alright, guys... back on topic. let's not throw unnecessary words and arguments around.

While I agree with this fully, JMK, it would probably be prudent to cut down the amount of posts that seem to be elbowing patriotic Americans and that this game is a result of wanting to attract them. All that does is cause animosity and the probability of the unnecessary words and potential arguments. I too dislike it as it is off topic and holds no point and it seems every post has someone stirring the pot with that very line of opinion.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I wonder if Alex will come out again and explain the marketing too people...he must be really sick and tired.

jmk1999
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
While I agree with this fully, JMK, it would probably be prudent to cut down the amount of posts that seem to be elbowing patriotic Americans and that this game is a result of wanting to attract them. All that does is cause animosity and the probability of the unnecessary words and potential arguments. I too dislike it as it is off topic and holds no point and it seems every post has someone stirring the pot with that very line of opinion.
agreed... i have no problem with a patriotic stance, but i have a problem with instigating arguments for the point of merely flaming and causing forum chaos. if it seems like the post is meant to do that, report it. that's all. no need to carry on a conversation that's going nowhere.

MrBimo
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM

But yeah...

Really, you feel ofended by an anthem sung by an american on the trailer? Abit strange, its a zombie game set in britain, how is that offencive, fallout is always set in america with american songs and that is awsome because of the setting and i believe in that world, how it would be like in america in the 1950s the stylised cartoon pip boys and shizzle. I cant believe in assassins creed 3 because it seems like america vs britain rather than templars vs assassins which was what i believed the baisis of assassins creed to be, but now from this advertising it just seems like go go team america. Where as zombieu is a zombie game set in britain, but you should know by now that london is one of the best settings for anything zombie related for exmple shawn of dead, 28 days etc. It shouldnt offend people.

menacefox
07-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Really, you feel ofended by an anthem sung by an american on the trailer? Abit strange, its a zombie game set in britain, how is that offencive, fallout is always set in america with american songs and that is awsome because of the setting and i believe in that world, how it would be like in america in the 1950s the stylised cartoon pip boys and shizzle. I cant believe in assassins creed 3 because it seems like america vs britain rather than templars vs assassins which was what i believed the baisis of assassins creed to be, but now from this advertising it just seems like go go team america. Where as zombieu is a zombie game set in britain, but you should know by now that london is one of the best settings for anything zombie related for exmple shawn of dead, 28 days etc. It shouldnt offend people.
Did you notice the "ALL JOKES ASIDE" part in my post?
Guess not.
Do you also ignore the red light when crossing the street?

MrBimo
07-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Did you notice the "ALL JOKES ASIDE" part in my post?
Guess not.
Do you also ignore the red light when crossing the street?

yeh lol noticed after puttin it down, aside from that point still stands (not at you), but baisically you can be offended by some things and others theres no point. Or in just this pro american advertising, bored a little.

menacefox
07-05-2012, 12:15 AM
yeh lol noticed after puttin it down, aside from that point still stands (not at you), but baisically you can be offended by some things and others theres no point. Or in just this pro american advertising, bored a little.
The reason it's pro-American marketing. Well, look at the size of the U.S. gaming market.
Ubisoft is a business and they are looking to make the most money. Maybe they will give exclusive trailers to Britain/Europe in the next couple months? We don't know.

Also, I expect that I will be able to kill bluecoats. If it's everyone vs. redcoats, it will be a very boring story line.
That's why I think that that towards the end of the AC3 story, George Washington will join the templars (he joined the Freemasons in real life) and then Connor will kill a bunch of bluecoat Generals towards the end of the story.
Historic fact: George Washington had slaves. Slavery didn't end with the revolution. So, from those historic facts, we could conclude that George Washington will most likely betray Connor - because Connor represents freedom according to the whole AC series. (Atleast, I hope the story is similar to this. Ubisoft will never reveal it.)

MrBimo
07-05-2012, 12:25 AM
The reason it's pro-American marketing. Well, look at the size of the U.S.A. gaming market.
Ubisoft is a business and they are looking to make the most money. Maybe they will give exclusive trailers to Britain in the next couple months?
We don't know.
Also, I expect that I will be able to kill Bluecoats. If it's everyone vs. redcoats, it will be a boring storyline.
That's why I think that that towards the end of the AC3 story, George Washington will join the templars (he joined the Freemasons in real life)
and then Connor will kill a bunch of bluecoat Generals towards the end of the game.

I love assassins creed and i will be buying this game regardless of american advertising as i believe th game will be for both sides, or maybe niether who knows, it could even end like SPOILER = ac2 where you almost kill the pope, maybe you have the battle GW but connor wont be able to kill him because of the assassin belief of wateva it will be in AC3. All i know is GW gets hold of the apple of eden so i dunno well find out in the game whether or not britain is the true enemy or just a way to get rid of an old empire for another one to be forged.

menacefox
07-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I love assassins creed and i will be buying this game regardless of american advertising as i believe th game will be for both sides, or maybe niether who knows, it could even end like SPOILER = ac2 where you almost kill the pope, maybe you have the battle GW but connor wont be able to kill him because of the assassin belief of wateva it will be in AC3. All i know is GW gets hold of the apple of eden so i dunno well find out in the game whether or not britain is the true enemy or just a way to get rid of an old empire for another one to be forged.
Read this article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342059/assassins-creed-3-breaks-series-pre-order-records/

Pro-American marketing is all about the money. And setting a big pre-order record in the US. The article is a British one, but the record is the goal.

Either way, a true American AC fan will not be disappointed if he has to kill bluecoats because the AC story will explain why.
And the British shouldn't feel offended by the Pro-American marketing either.

It's a business.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Read this article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342059/assassins-creed-3-breaks-series-pre-order-records/

Pro-American marketing is all about the money. And setting a big pre-order record in the US. The article is a British one, but the record is the goal.

Either way, a true American AC fan will not be disappointed if he has to kill bluecoats because the AC story will explain why.
And the British shouldn't feel offended by the Pro-American marketing either.

It's a business.
Well said.

De Filosoof
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Gotta love capitalism.

Jamison_J_B
07-05-2012, 02:03 AM
capitalism isn't the problem, it's piss poor decision making that's the problem. You can have a capitalist economy and still make a profit by not doing screwy stuff. Most just take the easy way though.

De Filosoof
07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Look around you (with your eyes open ofcourse).

Maximizing profit is almost always getting rewarded, no matter the cost.

Potato54321
07-05-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm sure the game will sell well because it looks fantastic. Their current marketing tactic is alienating people on the fence who do care about stuff like that.

menacefox
07-05-2012, 02:40 AM
I am not agreeing with Ubisoft's business stance - but I can understand it.

It just seems as if Ubisoft invested a lot more money giving Americans what seem to be "pro-American" trailers than thinking of a better collector's edition for NA.

And sure, some British may feel offended now by these meaningless trailers.
However, I have a feeling the AC3 story will prove that the British (and people from other countries) will get the last laugh though.

I'm 98% sure, the story won't be one-sided like the trailers indicate - but also the British (and other Europeans) will also be enjoying a better collector's edition. Just wait for it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 04:08 AM
All we can judge from is marketing materail, from it's vibe, you would confuse Connor as a Patriot if you have no prior knowledge, take away the name AC, just put it and tell new comers too come in, nobody with any experience or knowledge on the series, ask them questions about who they think Connor is, I am sure 9/10 will say he is a Patriot.

Locopells
07-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, yeah, take just the box art for example. Connor under an old US flag, whacking a redcoat into the ground. What would anyone think?

That's bad, particularly when compared with the other games:

AC1 - Altair
AC2 - Ezio
ACB - Ezio, with multiplayer characters in background.
ACR - Ezio, with Altair in background.

Putting aside the rest of the marketing, and whatever the reasons for the focus, the front cover has never shown the Assassin in action, given any hint of the Assassin's location (with the exception of clothing style) or supposed allegiance, before now.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Well, yeah, take just the box art for example. Connor under an old US flag, whacking a redcoat into the ground. What would anyone think?

That's bad, particularly when compared with the other games:

AC1 - Altair
AC2 - Ezio
ACB - Ezio, with multiplayer characters in background.
ACR - Ezio, with Altair in background.

Putting aside the rest of the marketing, and whatever the reasons for the focus, the front cover has never shown the Assassin in action, given any hint of the Assassin's location (with the exception of clothing style) or supposed allegiance, before now.
He's not under an old American flag. You can see both the colonials and the British, each on one of his sides in the background while he's assassinating a British officer it seems with his tomahawk. The flag you're talking about is clearly part of the American side and there is no reason to assume from the picture it in particular has anything to do with Connor. The fact that the Americans and British are fighting in the background is actually a good reflection of his neutrality.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Just wondering, but why is it a British dude on the cover? they could have had a ''flip cover'' like Mass Effect 3 where if you fipped it, you get a girl Shepard, maybe have one like that were you can see Connor killing a American.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Just wondering, but why is it a British dude on the cover? they could have had a ''flip cover'' like Mass Effect 3 where if you fipped it, you get a girl Shepard, maybe have one like that were you can see Connor killing a American.
Probably because it's either supposed to reflect this one specific event in the game or because that's simply what they chose to do because they really didn't care much either way.

To be honest. I think it's not so much that the Assassins will be picking sides with the Americans, but that the Templars will be picking sides with the British.

Locopells
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
He's not under an old American flag. You can see both the colonials and the British, each on one of his sides in the background while he's assassinating a British officer it seems with his tomahawk. The flag you're talking about is clearly part of the American side and there is no reason to assume from the picture it in particular has anything to do with Connor. The fact that the Americans and British are fighting in the background is actually a good reflection of his neutrality.

My bad, they've changed the cover since I last looked at Amazon. Back they were using the first bit of art that was released, where he was right under the flag and there was no background. Sorry.

That said, he's still in action, which has never been done before. Interpret it however you want though!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Makes sense, but my problem is with Connor stance, if his stance is neutral, but just happens most are with the British due them being a massive empire, I would be ok with it. Since I will be killing Americans post game anyways.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 02:21 PM
My bad, they've changed the cover since I last looked at Amazon. Back they were using the first bit of art that was released, where he was right under the flag and there was no background. Sorry.

That said, he's still in action, which has never been done before. Interpret it however you want though!
That's the cover of the metal box thingy, but in that one he's not killing anyone, just standing sortof epicly on a rock with the colonial flag in the background, which to me is more a reflection of what's going on around him than his allegiance.

As for the fact that on the cover he's "in action", I like it. Especially with the Americans and British fighting each other in the background I think it well reflects how the war is the environment of the game, part of the scenery you could almost say.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I think what they meant was instead of being in those hordes, he went for the Templar.

LightRey
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I think what they meant was instead of being in those hordes, he went for the Templar.
Basically yeah. He's surrounded by the war, but not taking part in it, just doing his job as an Assassin.

SkyVan999
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
How would it be awkward for people living in Britain, since Britain today doesn't have a strict national identity?

Is a black guy living in Britain meant to feel awkward? How about an Arab or an Indian? What about a Chinese guy from Britain?

All of them are British by definition, and there's a lot of them, but none of their ancestors are the people fighting the rebels...so how can you expect them to feel awkward?

I swear some Americans think Britain is still the nation is was in 1776, have you looked at the British Olympic Team? Most of the people on it are black...are they supposed to feel awkward about the trailer?

Locopells
07-15-2012, 02:22 AM
That's more an ethnic thing. Quite a lot of the immigrants I know are more patriotic towards their adopted county then the WASPS next door. Particularly if they are second gen.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:03 AM
That's more an ethnic thing. Quite a lot of the immigrants I know are more patriotic towards their adopted county then the WASPS next door. Particularly if they are second gen.

Resurrection of threads, I see?
More Americans and non-Americans/Non-British are complaining than the British xP
Not because it's America, but a one sided story is boring :nonchalance:

Locopells
07-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry guys, I just bookmarked my last posts when I left, read through all the new stuff when I got back, and replied - I didn't realise how cold they'd gone in the mean time!

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
To be honest... I can't stand the whining from british people about it.

No one whined in ACII series that you kill italians, turkish people or even attempt to kill the **** pope himself... Cuz you know the main story still was not against italians or catholics but against templars... All the normal soldiers were just unimportant people who still were killed by Ezio for the greater sake.

And how many FPS we have where you give head shots to soldiers of different countries left and right.

This is a historic game so of course it has to be told how the Americans have fought the British... but I bet you will kill americans in the game as well.

I'm from Germany and seriously... If we would cry loud about a game where the Nazi's (I hate Nazi's) like in Medal of Honor people would have been serioulsly shocked.

It's just a **** game. Nothing more

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
''Just a game'' is not a excuse when the game screams historical accuracy.
ACII-You were Italian.
AC:R-You were up against the Byzantines.
The Pope is widely recognized by Catholics as a corrupt bastardo.
They claim neutrality, yet we see none. This whole ''But we killed X and X and X!'' In ACII and AC:B, you are an Italian, and there was no real conflict there.
In AC:R, you killed Byzantine Templars, key being Templars. Not the entire nation.
The marketing shows the British as flat out demons.

Felix-Vivo
07-15-2012, 11:00 AM

No one whined in ACII series that you kill italians, turkish people or even attempt to kill the **** pope himself... Cuz you know the main story still was not against italians or catholics but against templars... All the normal soldiers were just unimportant people who still were killed by Ezio for the greater sake.

And how many FPS we have where you give head shots to soldiers of different countries left and right.

This is a historic game so of course it has to be told how the Americans have fought the British... but I bet you will kill americans in the game as well.

I'm from Germany and seriously... If we would cry loud about a game where the Nazi's (I hate Nazi's) like in Medal of Honor people would have been serioulsly shocked.

I hate to add any more to this, but the previous games weren't advertised as, "Hunt down Italian soldiers." It was more the chance to slip between the pages of history. In this, they are making Redcoat-killing a selling point to those not previously acquainted with the franchise.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
One of the ads LITERALLY said: ''Hunt down Redcoats while helping your fellow Americans'' or something along those lines.

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I hate to add any more to this, but the previous games weren't advertised as, "Hunt down Italian soldiers." It was more the chance to slip between the pages of history. In this, they are making Redcoat-killing a selling point to those not previously acquainted with the franchise.

That's utterly ********. The red coats are nothing more than the fodder italian, turkish soldiers you have to kill after all. Connor is going against templars and if the red coats in the way, he has to kill them. Simply as that. It is how the history was. And as I said... i bet he will kill some americans for the own plot as well.

Seriously not even the Vatican cried out loud than in ACII we gave the pope some punches in his face.

Seriously WHY is no one of the people crying out loud if they shoot the head out of some enemy soldier in Call of Duty and Co and there it is just for the lulz

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:06 AM
MW2 did receive controversy when you slaughtered and entire air port.
The level was fun tho, lulz.
Because the Pope was hated BY CATHOLICS. He was corrupt, nobody liked him, which is you get to beat him.

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
MW2 did receive controversy when you slaughtered and entire air port.
The level was fun tho, lulz.
Because the Pope was hated BY CATHOLICS. He was corrupt, nobody liked him, which is you get to beat him.

You still don't get the point do you?

There is no different for me cuz it is a **** game. Nothing more. Should they change the history just that no one would cry... Meeh you made the british fodder soldiers who most likely are corrupted by Templars look evil?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Then why not display un-bias?
Why not display the evils of the Colonists? where they Angels?
Nope.

Felix-Vivo
07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
That's utterly ********. The red coats are nothing more than the fodder italian, turkish soldiers you have to kill after all. Connor is going against templars and if the red coats in the way, he has to kill them. Simply as that. It is how the history was. And as I said... i bet he will kill some americans for the own plot as well.

Seriously not even the Vatican cried out loud than in ACII we gave the pope some punches in his face.

Seriously WHY is no one of the people crying out loud if they shoot the head out of some enemy soldier in Call of Duty and Co and there it is just for the lulz

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0on2rBSNs1qihb0ko4_1280.jpg

You see that middle paragraph? 'Hunt down British Redcoats'. Hunting them down doesn't make them sound like fodder. I know they will be, but this is where the marketing pisses people off, because using Redcoat Hunting as a selling point is not the most neutral way of advertising the game.

kriegerdesgottes
07-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Totally agree. I realize some will say oh but in ACII it was an Italian killing Italians but it doesn't matter. Like you pointed out, Nazis get shot in games constantly along with numerous nationalities and people and no one whines and cries because it's history. Heck Russians and Germans were always the bad guys in American movies throughout the 80s and no one cried. British people see a game that is depicting history the way it actually happened and they cry about being depicted in a bad way. Guess what British people did awful terrible things in history as did we Americans and every other country in the world. Deal with it. If Germans have to constantly be reminded of the nazi stuff in media and I know a lot of British people are quick to point out America's terrible flaws like slavery, and the mistreatment of people as if Britain wasn't also guilty of those things in its history. I guarantee you will kill Colonials in ACIII. Yes it appears that Connor has to take sides frequently with the colonials. Big deal. That doesn't mean he fights exclusively for them.

On top of all that now that I'm just being honest about the stupidity of all this complaining, England ALWAYS gets all the cool exclusive stuff. How many CEs for AC games were exclusive ONLY through Play.com. I want to say at least two or three. How many AC figures and toys were sold ONLY to British customers and almost never here in NA. several. For some reason Ubisoft has always given British people in particular, even more so than other Europeans, special privileges while we Americans have NEVER gotten one CE that was as good as yours. While you were all having your cool little ACIII events in London and wherever on the 4th of July OUR FREAKING INDEPENDENCE DAY! we got NOTHING. and you still have the nerve to come in here and whine because you think Ubisoft is being biased in their marketing towards Americans.

I'm not even saying that they aren't being biased in their marketing for this game but my point is freaking get over it. Your country is not immune to being the bad guy every now and then. Enjoy your awesome freedom editions while I once again get stuck with an overpriced garbage CE that I refuse to buy and since I have no other option I'll end up buying the general game AGAIN.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
That is exactly the one I am talking about.
Now tell me ''Oh, it is completely un-biased and history!''
Our problems is not with them depicting the British doing terrible things, but displaying the Americans as angels.
Where is the historical accuracy they preach? maybe that would fly in a overly Patriotic school, but this is not one.
Actually, the Fourth of July thing is a double sides coin. Could be viewed also as something of a ''Trololol'' as they are displaying all of that British killing in England.

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Then why not display un-bias?
Why not display the evils of the Colonists? where they Angels?
Nope.

Where are they biased? As I said... I bet with you Connor will go against some of them as well.

Simply point is. This game has the theme of this historic fight... Live with it that you kill some british soldiers for the greater sake of hunting down templars and to get freedom for America or not.

... For me personally there is no difference between the other games... The only point I give to you is, that there are overdoing it with the marketing. But seriously... It is clear seeing as America is one of the biggest markets and love this story. Money rules everything. Simple as that... Do you think they care about some people who are crying out loud against this? Most likely not... But it has nothing to do that they HATE english people.

If they someday make one of the 1st WW (Not 2nd WW) where I have to kill german soldiers who were commanded by templars... I wouldn't care

Felix-Vivo
07-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Where are they biased?

In the marketing. See above.

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Too add something... What shoud I to if they really to a game about the 2nd world war where I have to kill german normal Nazi soldiers which were corrupted by the evil Templar Hitler or just joined the army to not be shot by them?

Should I cry if they make Anti-German marketing. No... I would say hell yeah I shot him into da head... Cuz history was like this

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Where are they biased? As I said... I bet with you Connor will go against some of them as well.

Simply point is. This game has the theme of this historic fight... Live with it that you kill some british soldiers for the greater sake of hunting down templars and to get freedom for America or not.

... For me personally there is no difference between the other games... The only point I give to you is, that there are overdoing it with the marketing. But seriously... It is clear seeing as America is one of the biggest markets and love this story. Money rules everything. Simple as that... Do you think they care about some people who are crying out loud against this? Most likely not... But it has nothing to do that they HATE english people.

If they someday make one of the 1st WW (Not 2nd WW) where I have to kill german soldiers who were commanded by templars... I wouldn't care

They are dooming themselves by displaying overly Patriotic marketing, What happens if a Patriot buys the game and discovered you are not a Colonist and you kill Americans? exactly.
PS: No WW games, please...for the love of god no...

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
They are dooming themselves by displaying overly Patriotic marketing, What happens if a Patriot buys the game and discovered you are not a Colonist and you kill Americans? exactly.

99,9 % of the people give a **** about it... Believe me.

kriegerdesgottes
07-15-2012, 11:23 AM

What? I have several ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War against Britain and I'm as American as a person gets and I am fairly patriotic but I will kill whoever is evil in the game. American or british. I bet we even will end up killing some Hessian (German) soldiers and I bet you the Germans won't cry about it all day.

EDIT:
Also if you really think this game is going to come out and not highlight and mention some of the flaws with the colonies like slavery in particular then you are insane. I guarantee you they will show the founding fathers as who they were. Some of whom were out for power, glory, and their own interests. They have already said this. They also said they plan on showing Ben Franklin's love for loose women. I doubt you will hear a bunch of Americans come crying about it. It is history.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
What? I have several ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War against Britain and I'm as American as a person gets and I am fairly patriotic but I will kill whoever is evil in the game. American or british. I bet we even will end up killing some Hessian (German) soldiers and I bet you the Germans won't cry about it all day.

Overly Patriotic, trust me, some people would go rage and cry over seeing a couple of Americans killed, same deal with the British. Except here it is total biasment.

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:19 PM
As a British person, I wasn't really that offended by the Independance Day and Rise trailers, particularly because I know that Ubisoft don't care for sharing neutrality in their marketing for this game.

The only thing I would comment on is two things:

1. In the Independance Day trailer, there is an animation fault with the scene where the cannonball strikes. The way the Colonists are displayed when they fall back is unrealistic. For that to occur, their spines must have snapped or something, because their legs do not move with the torso in an accurate manner.
2. In the Rise trailer, the child says "I don't want to learn the history of a country I'll never see" which strikes me as rather ignorant. Is my country's history not worth learning? That might be a little silly to get annoyed by, but I wouldn't bring anything up about it if he said "I don't want to be forced to learn the history of a country I'll never see." I feel that would display a better link to the motivations of the Assassin Order, given their ideology that humanity should retain their free will.

But yeah, I get that going all "pro-American" is a capitalistic choice, but for the non-American fans (and by some comments, also some Americans too) it just displays how games designers don't have to care about their fans to make a game. After all, you don't need to play games to make one, which I something I've learned.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Most devs suck at their game .___.
Honestly, this is not the devs fault. More or less the marketing team is stupid.
If anything? It may be artistic revenge.
Or just the same old capitalistic marketing.

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Honestly, this is not the devs fault. More or less the marketing team is stupid.
If anything? I call artistic revenge.

Let's see you make a game. Otherwise, please shut up. Especially with the "artistic revenge" comments, because those are just stupid.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
It is possible, who knows, it just seems odd that when your dev teams dislikes the marketing and you dont listen.
No seriously, alot of devs actually such at playing their games :p I noticed that in the Boston demo aswell.

ProletariatPleb
07-15-2012, 01:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WyzBd.jpg

All the time..that "artistic revenge" comes up.

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
It is possible, who knows, it just seems odd that when your dev teams dislikes the marketing and you dont listen.
No seriously, alot of devs actually such at playing their games :p I noticed that in the Boston demo aswell.

I do listen, but how does the Developers not like how the Marketing department's portrayal of the game they've created and known consist of "artistic revenge".

You come out with crap and then when someone calls you out on it, you say "well it's possible... etc."

Just because it's possible, it doesn't make it a valid argument.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
That pic is just.....priceless XD
Saved onto my hard drive.
It is a possibility, along with just the plain old capitalistic idea.
EDIT: Serrachio, you dont listen is not directed too you, but towards the marketing team.
Think about it, in a way: Ubisoft is a french company, no? the devs are Canadian, they are clearly dis-pleased with the marketing, yet the marketing team goes on and on with it, it may be just the case of artistic revenge.

ProletariatPleb
07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I made it especially for you. Now please can we make valid statements?

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

And? It might be a possibility, but it's not likely.

Stop coming up with stupid comments. You'll save your dignity from taking a beating.

playassassins1
07-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Its not as easy as you think it is dude. Its a pretty big responsibility when you have to keep control over maybe, 10 studios. Developing a game like this isn't that easy, you have to think about so much things. And if you do one thing wrong, the whole game will be ****ed

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Just like the capitalist idea. Everything is a possibility, and I am listing them down. There is no set in stone reason behind it.
EDIT: I just remembered, there was a article on Kotaku that said that the reason the marketing is biased, is that they think Americans cant stand seeing their ancestors killed...
Umm...what?

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:36 PM
EDIT: Serrachio, you dont listen is not directed too you, but towards the marketing team.
Think about it, in a way: Ubisoft is a french company, no? the devs are Canadian, they are clearly dis-pleased with the marketing, yet the marketing team goes on and on with it, it may be just the case of artistic revenge.

Ubisoft's marketing is mostly Canadian/French too.

How is them being displeased with the Marketing department "artistic revenge"?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Ubisoft's marketing is mostly Canadian/French too.

How is them being displeased with the Marketing department "artistic revenge"?

Well, since Ubisoft is French, and the French/English dont have the best history together, it could be.
Again, just listing possibilities. We dont work for Ubisoft, nothing set in stone.

Serrachio
07-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Well, since Ubisoft is French, and the French/English dont have the best history together, it could be.
Again, just listing possibilities. We dont work for Ubisoft, nothing set in stone.

Back then, everyone was British.

They could easily make the Colonists out to be demonic as well.

So stop with the "artistic revenge" comments. They are ******ed.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Back then, not now. Now when you say Bluecoat, everybody knows you mean American.
I still find the idea that Americans cant stand seeing Bluecoats killed honestly, in itself, insulting to Americans.

ProletariatPleb
07-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Back then, not now. Now when you say Bluecoat, everybody knows you mean American.
I still find the idea that Americans cant stand seeing Bluecoats killed honestly, in itself, insulting to Americans.
Nobody says bluecoat...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I do .___.

TheHumanTowel
07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Ubisoft is French-Canadian. And even if they were French I think fighting in two world wars together and joining the European union has pretty much ended that rivalry. The Lead Writer of AC3 is American as well, Alex Hutchinson is Australian and I think the marketing team wants to sell the game more than push anti-english propaganda. I think "artistic revenge" is a very remote possibility.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 01:52 PM
The dev team is against this complete biased marketing, but the marketing team just goes ''Well ignore the people who made the game! HURR DURR!''
I wonder what will the lean be on the next trailer.

KiShiDo
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
At least Connor is half british.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
....And? how does that change anything?

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Ya how does that change anything huh????

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Actually, should he not be biased too the British? historically, Mohawk fought for them.

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
^ yup

Calvarok
07-15-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm Canadian. I have no problem with experiencing a period of history when America was born. I think it makes sense to promote it with winks to the actual country its about, expecially if it's a major customer-base. I remember that AC2 had a contest to go to Italy surroiunding it, and Brotherhood was built around "Take back rome".

It doesn't matter if you're actually italian or actually care about rome in real life. In Assassin's creed, and indeed any video game, you step into the shoes of someone who has different motivations or passions than you do. That's a given. I have no problem with the fourth of july trailer, or indeed the rise trailer. It's kinda crappy when a huge invading force comes into your country and tries to kill you. Every country in the world has had that happen at some point in their history. Everyone should be able to identify with that and take something away from it. It's not a political statement, honestly. both of those trailers were a straight look at what it means to be at war with a stronger power. Many men dead, and those who aren't struggling to carry on and prevail.