PDA

View Full Version : Building your own Computer and IL2

BERNDT79
08-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello All,

I have just been checking out a couple sites for buying components to build your own computer such as tigerdirect or newegg and it just seems really intimidating to me. Is there a site that explains what you all need to build your own to play IL2 well? Plus know what is compatible with what?
It sounds really cool to be able to build your own, and for pretty cheap too for the stuff it seems everyone puts in to theirs. I'm just feeling really lost right now with cases, motherboards, cpus, cooling, video cards, hard drives, ahhhhhhhhh. Someday i will reign supreme though and run my ultimate gaming machine!

"_VR_C_Berndt"

_Vultures Row_

BERNDT79
08-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello All,

I have just been checking out a couple sites for buying components to build your own computer such as tigerdirect or newegg and it just seems really intimidating to me. Is there a site that explains what you all need to build your own to play IL2 well? Plus know what is compatible with what?
It sounds really cool to be able to build your own, and for pretty cheap too for the stuff it seems everyone puts in to theirs. I'm just feeling really lost right now with cases, motherboards, cpus, cooling, video cards, hard drives, ahhhhhhhhh. Someday i will reign supreme though and run my ultimate gaming machine!

"_VR_C_Berndt"

_Vultures Row_

Rab03
08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Daunting task.
Compatibility issues-another daunting task.

One interesting place to start is http://jg51.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
Strutz appears to be experienced ghame rig builder.

Check as many sites/forums as you can. Select specific hardware/hardware combinations and search them on the web (you can include word 'problem' in the search).

Good luck! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

See my skins at
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/JohnnyRab-SIG.jpg (http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&authoridfilter=Rab&ts=1069857387&comefrom=credits)

[This message was edited by Rab03 on Fri August 06 2004 at 08:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Rab03 on Fri August 06 2004 at 08:58 AM.]

Lunix
08-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Bookmark a few enthusiast sites like hardocp and stuff and read the articles. Read the forums. To stay up to date on the various tech and which brands are respected.

Toms hardware guide has published a few articles on building your own PC that may be slithgly dated now.

Before purchasing something important like a motherboard check the forums. Try to ignore the quantity of gripes but look for issues that are recurrant or said to be recurrant. Sometimes you can find compatability issues. Like Abit's IS7 motherboards have issues with CH5 ram.

Oh and ask too in the forums for advice or read other peoples threads on advice. Some advice is good and some is bad so get as much as you can.

http://members.shaw.ca/corn/il2sig3.jpg

LilHorse
08-06-2004, 09:59 AM
I've been contemplating this as well. Though for me it's less daunting (not that I'm an expert or anything). But since I have a technical backround and have lately had to install various bits and pieces in my computer it's beginning to seem less intimidating. As you mentioned the cost savings are incredible. A guy I work with has reciently built a pretty hotrod comp for between $500 and $600. Of course, that's his thing (computers) both at work and home.

I guess it's just something that you have to "get your head into" for a while. And if you know anybody who's hip to building computers, don't be afraid to ask for advice. They'd probably be enthusiastic to help you.

Skullin
08-06-2004, 10:09 AM
I"ve built and rebuilt a few now, and let me give you some advice...

1st of all, spend extra on the best components you can get. (this will put off upgrades for longer, which in the end are more expensive).

2ndly, Start with the Mobo and work your way out, not the other way around. There's really only 1 big decision that you have to make; Pentium or AMD. I like AMD because they are generally cheaper and more overclockable, but they also run hotter so you'll need a giant cooler on the processor. (my machine sounds like an Airplane w/o IL-2 even running http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

Only things you really have to be careful with are putting in the Mobo (don't slip with the screwdriver!!), and make sure you get the cooler on the chip perfectly using some very good thermo-paste stuff (forget name of the best one, silver something...)

Get yourself a cool looking case with a window, a neon cathode light, cool looking IDE cables and you won't be sorry !

good luck, and congrats on being smart and building your own rig. I can't believe anyone still buys prebuilt ripoffs from companies like Dell. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

DDad
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Building your own computer is not that daunting a task- in fact, suspect that once you've done it, you won't ever go back to "store-bought"
As far as components- ah, theres the rub. A lot depends on what else you want to use the computer for, how long do you plan to keep it,how much do you want to spend (kind of like the old drag racing maxim "Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?") etc

Personally- I'd look for the following minimum:
AMD 2ghz processor
Any board with a NFORCE 2 chip
512 mb DDR Ram
80-120 gb HD

Buckaroo12
08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I built my first computer over Christmas this year, The actual construction isn't too bad, just resist the urge (sometimes overpowering) to make pieces fit with a hammer! Selecting componenets is the hardest part. I went into it blind and took the advice of the guy from the computer store. I now have a system that is ok, but in hindsight I wish I had done my own research and bought the stuff that would work best for me.

A good sight for motherboards is http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/ They have forums for all boards with the Nforce chipsets and a load of information. Another good one is SharkyExtreme. They have reviews, prices, and component forums.

I'll give you a starting review with what I bought, and what I would change if I had to do it over.
Processor: AMD Barton AthalonXP 2600+. This was the best processor I could afford. Default Clockspeed is ~1900mhz, I've had it up to 2.5 and could probably go higher (but I'm new to overclocking and slightly terrified of it!) The only thing I would've changed with my processor is the AMD heatsink and fan. These didn't do a very good job for me so I got a thermaltake silent boost fan and heatsink and slapped it on with some arctic silver and that seems to be doing the trick.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga7n400l. This is not a bad board, it seems to be very stable and is forgivving while you experiment with overclocking. That being said, Gigabyte has horrendous customer support, the boards have some wierd temperature issues (Gigabyte claims it reads the accurate Diode temperature but the consensus on the forums is that it reads anywhere from 5-10 degrees celsius over what the temperatures are), the board runs the chip hot (considering I have no idea what my REAL temperatures are this really bothers me), This board is also really really fussy about what kind of RAM you put into it and where it goes(the website claims you can put up to 3 gigs in, but i've only managed to get up to 1.2 gigs, the rest is sitting on my desk because I can't seem to make it work). In hindsight, it's not a terrible board, I'm sure there are worse out there, but I wish I had forked over a few more bucks for a nice ASUS.

Hard Drive: Maxtor 80 gig HD. Works fine, lots of space. You can get fancy with RAID setups and the works, I don't know enough about those to venture a comment.

Graphics Card: ATI 9600se. This I got as a christmas present. Doesn't quite give me the performance I wanted but it'll hold me over until I can fork out for something really nice. (Personally, I'm waiting for the X800 to fully come into the market so I can pick up a 9800 pro for cheap on e-bay!)

Case: An el Cheapo. This is the biggest regret I have, it's ugly has poor ventilation and no room to work with anything. I now know, spending a few extra bucks on a case is worth it.

I hope this helps a little. It's important that you do your research and not just rush into it, when looking at components keep in mind the things that you will want to upgrade in the near future and make sure that your components will be compatible. I would suggest that the things NOT to cheap out on would be your motherboard and your case. Everything else you can upgrade without ripping the whole system apart. For example if you want to put an Athalon XP 3200+ speed chip in your computer, it might be worth it to find a 64bit chip that has the same performance and get a 64 bit motherboard. This way you can upgrade your processor in a year or two (as opposed to buying the best chip your motherboard can support and having to upgrade both in a couple of years)

Like I said, once you have the components construction is relatively easy. Installing the heatsink was the only "tricky" part for me! and there are a ton of good "How-To" sites on the web! Have fun!

F16_Fatboy
08-06-2004, 10:30 AM
I built my first compuyer a 386 with instructions from Thoms Harware. Here is a newer "how to do"http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20040529/index.html

As for what runs good with IL2 try http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004_38.html

Good luck

FLSTF

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v125/F16_fatboy/Album1/sig_fatboy.jpg

Nikodemus-LH
08-06-2004, 10:40 AM
its actually quite easy .i have build all my computers myself.
motherboard manual explains (about) everything u need to know .

One thing DO NOT buy a cheap power supply.
a good 350-400W if enough to allmost all computers unless you have lots of hard disks /dvd drives etcc..

some good PSUs are Fortron,nexus,Zalman.hec & be quiet.
those are allso quiet.(fortron is my 1st choicehttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Build your own and you'll never go back. I've built 7 or 8 pc's myself now and the best advice I can give you is pick the BEST motherboard you can get for your platform (i.e. Intel or AMD).

The old school of thought that "AMD overclocks better than Intel" is just that these days...old school. For example, if you want an Intel system, the Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo is top dog right now and has a bundled software package that makes overclocking maybe a little too easy. It has Serial ATA HD support, on-board active cooling solutions and other little goodies too numerous to mention.

To summarize, here's my methodology for assembling a new system:

1. Decide on a platform and pick the best mobo you can.

2. get at least a mid-tower case from a reputable manufacturer. It's worth it (A full tower is even better and you'll agree once you put your first one together) Companies like Antec, Coolermaster and Thermaltake are good for starters.

3. Power supply should be a minimum of 440w and preferably higher for upgradability later on.

4. Get at least 1 gig of RAM and get it all at the same time. High-end ram is nice but certainly not necessary.

5. Get 2 hard drives if you can. One will be for your OS and the other one can be for games and everything else. This helps Windows run better typically and makes a HD format of your games drive an easy affair. They don't need to be the same size.

6. Last but definitely not least...RTFM!!! Seriously, read all the manuals BEFORE putting anything together. It makes the whole process easier if you have even a slight visual of what you need to do.

p.s. Ask questions.

The intimidation and anxiety you may have right now will be soon forgotten once you throw power to your creation and it runs well.

TB

Our FB server info: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

Dawg-of-death
08-06-2004, 11:44 AM
A couple of good links for you.
http://www.hardforum.com/index.php?
and...............
http://www.pricewatch.com/
Also what evre MO BO you pick will probly have a forum with realy good info. http://forum.abit-usa.com/

Building your own is the wayto go.......

S~

Bad-MF(Mongrel Fighter) AKA .......Dawg-of-death

horseback
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Building a good cpu for Il-2 has been an ongoing project for me over the last two years (I'm on the edge of doing my 6th). If you're on a budget, the best way I found to do it is to acquire key components as they come on sale, and stash away your heavy cash for motherboard, processor, and RAM. This has the added advantage of giving you time to research and pick what best meets your needs, and determining a fair price range.

These should be purchased last, because they have to work together, and can't be tested in your old unit, like the video card, sound card, floppy, CD/R (I've tried using a DVD/CD/R combo drive with a plain CD drive, too-it's good), hard & DVD drives. If they don't work together, you'll be able to return or exchange them more easily if you bought them within a few days of putting them together and trying them.

As for a case, find one with intake/outvent fan positions, put fans on 'em, and use dust filters on the intakes. The newer video cards need a lot of power, so 450 W is not out of line.

Finally, get an ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) wrist band to use when you handle & install your components. We use them at my job religiously, and card assembly failure rates have gone down precipitously. They work, and it will save you much grief.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

ddsflyer
08-06-2004, 12:33 PM
You can do it! I've built about 20 including this one. I assembled, tested and loaded windows in one evening. I would have spent $1000 more from a custom builder to get what I have now PLUS I understand everything so much better. There are dozens of people who would be willing to help you in these and other forums.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PT
1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

BERNDT79
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Wow, thanks to everyone for your overwhelming support, its very good to know there are people out here that care to write such detailed and long responses to help me out. Thanks! Now i just need a secret way to buy all this stuff.....

"_VR_C_Berndt"

_Vultures Row_

FI-Aflak
08-06-2004, 05:30 PM
I've built 4 computers, and will building a 5th next week, so I'm decently experienced.

Its pretty easy, I use newegg for all my parts (great service, and their prices are beatable . . .but not easily).

List of things you need:
Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Vid Card
Case
Power Supply
Hard drive (s)
Optical Drives (CD-ROM, CR-RW, DVD, DVD+/-RW, &c).
Soundcard, but some motherboards have decenty onboard sound.
floppy drive, but nobody uses floppies anymore.

Thats about it.

Building is easy, selecting parts isn't.

Athlons are the cost effective way to go, and these days an Athlon64 2800+ rig costs about the same as an AthlonXP 3200+ rig (i'm building the ath64 2800+ for me next week! fun!).

Anywho, once you select your processor, you need a motherboard to use it. Stay away from no name el cheapo brands on this one, its one of the most important peices of your computer as far as stability goes. Soyo, Asus, Epox, Abit all have decent track records. Maybe read some reviews over at www.anandtech.com (http://www.anandtech.com). Choose one that has the features you want at a good price.

Now, for RAM. Most mobos these days use DDR RAM, but check the one you select before you order the goods. Again, RAM is very important to stability and speed of your system, more is better, and better is better. You get what you pay for, more or less. Stay away from no-name brands, go for the big boys like Corsair and . .. I can't remember any others.

Now, Vid Card. Very important for 3D games. Best performance/dollar right now would be a Radeon 9800 pro or XT, top dog is nVidia's 6800GT, Ati's Radeon X800XT is also up there. Careful, though, some of the top end graphics cards need PCI Express slots, and only a few motherboards have those. Most gfx cards use AGP slots, which are pretty universal.

Now, Power Supply. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THIS!!!! It is tempting to buy a cheap PSU that has a big wattage count. Don't do it, your system will be unstable and you will shorten the lifespan of all components attached to the cheap PSU. Buy something decent. There are lots of choices, Antec makes good units, for example. Do some reading about the other brands before you select one. Wattage, I'd say go 350-400 watts, you might not need all of it, but it makes your system more expandable, you can add more Hard Drives later, or extra optical drives, &c.

Case. Not that important. Head over to newegg and pick one that you think looks nice. Read the reviews to make sure it doesn't suck, but usually a decent case can be had for 20 bucks. I'm buying a Chenming entry level server case for my next computer, big, upgradable, 56 dollars. Good stuff.

Optical drives. Pretty simple. CD burners, etc. Pick what you want, pick one out. Lite-on's are good, as are the big names like Plextor, Sony, Yamaha, etc. You get what you pay for, I bought a really cheap one once and it sounded like a chainsaw and quit on my after a few months. Pioneer also makes good drives.

Hard Drive. Important as far as not loosing all your stuff goes. Seagate has a great reputation, WD makes big, fast drives for pretty cheap, I've uised about 5 or 6 of them with no problems at all. Maxtor is also well respected. IBM, I don't know about, they had a famous line of HDD's back in the day called deskstars or something like that. They were so reliable, that they earned the nickname "Deathstars." Do some reading.

Assembly:

make sure you ground yourself to get rid of static, touch a doorknob periodically or something.

Choose a clean, non conductive surface. Get your case, take all the **** out of it, make sure its all in order.

Now unpack your motherboard. make sure it isn't damaged. Set her down somewhere safe.

Unpack your processor, make sure she isn't damaged. Go ahead and seat the processor on the motherboard. Its easy, and there will be printed instructions. Now look at your heatsink (included on retail procs, seperate heatsink/fan needed for OEM procs). If there is a small rubbery pad on the bottom, go ahead and seat it, if not, you will need to apply some thermal grease to it. Try to find something silver based, sometimes it will be included. Apply some grease to the bottom of the heatsink, then use a credit card to spread it paper thin over the area that will be in contact with the proc. About seating the heatsink: this can be hard, just follow the instructions, don't be afraid to use lots of force, and be careful. Remember to plug the fan's wires onto the pins marked CPU_FAN on your motherboard.

Seat the RAM. This is easy.

Now look at your motherboard and your case. choose the screw holes you need to use in the case, and put standoffs in them. Usually, standoffs are little copper screws, but they have a threaded hole on the other end . . . they exist to prevent the back of the motherboard from touching the case . . if that were to happen all sorts of contacts would be bridged which shouldn't be, and you'll write off about 50% of your money. Put the mobo on the standoffs, and screw her in. Go ahead and install your video card and powersupply. Connect the wires from the switch and indicator lights on your case to the appropriate places on the motherboard (they will either be labeled, or in the manual for the motherboard.) Connect your power supply and a monitor, keyboard. Turn it on to make sure it boots before you do anything else . . . its easier to isolate a problem this way.

Once that works, turn it off and unplug it. Go ahead and put your Hard drives, optical drives, sound card, etc. in the case and connect the appropriate wires, make sure you connect your case fans too (you will need an intake and an exhaust for an athlon based system, at least.) Close her up, put your windows CD in the drive, turn it on, tell your BIOS to boot from the CD, install windows. Then do your drivers, etc. and your set.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-06-2004, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by _VR_C_Berndt:
Now i just need a secret way to buy all this stuff.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a number of bodily fluids you can sell for quick cash. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

Our FB server info: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

TX-EcoDragon
08-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Lotsa great info here. . .I just want to say, use Newegg. . .

Tiger has good prices, but they lack in many other important areas particularly anyhting to do with customer service. Call them and ask them any question and you will see what I mean. NewEgg also has good prices, and good everything else too. . . inculuding great return service if something goes buggy on you.

S!
TX-EcoDragon
Black 1
TX Squadron XO
http://www.txsquadron.com

Stop by our OC3 (and now OC192)servers on HL at: 69.56.198.2

Member-Team Raven
http://www.waynehandley.com

Northern California Aerobatic Club
http://www.iac38.org/

First Slot Pilot Aircraft #4 of the Virtual Haute-Voltige Team
http://www.vhvt.com/

Learn to fly, learn aerobatics, learn to fly a tailwheel at LVK.
http://www.attitudeaviation.com/

http://www.txsquadron.com/uploaded/TX-EcoDragon/ravenvert.jpg

bun-bun195333
08-06-2004, 07:28 PM
This place is excellent for components that work together - just look at the Buyer Guides

Sharkey (http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/3373781)

Pricewatch for finding the cheapest deals

Pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com/)

Resellerratings for checking customer feedback for dealers

Resellerratings (http://www.resellerratings.com)

Building a computer is easy - flying the P-47 is hard.

http://home.comcast.net/~argylestransom/Pics/A10Bun.jpg (http://www.sluggy.com/)

Skullin
08-06-2004, 07:54 PM
One more place to shop... the only place i shop anymore, and i used to be a new-egger myself...

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp

Great service, never had a problem, and their prices are really good.

IVJG51_Swine
08-06-2004, 07:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One interesting place to start is http://jg51.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
Strutz appears to be experienced ghame rig builder.

Check as many sites/forums as you can. Select specific hardware/hardware combinations and search them on the web (you can include word 'problem' in the search).

Good luck! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sturtz has built 3 gaming machines for me and has done an outstanding job on all of them. Plus he is a super nice guy so you have great customer service. Thanks Kurt.

www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

Full Real Online War: http://www.forgottenskies.com/

Odranoel1
08-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Advice below ONLY valid for FB use(I only play FB!) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Based upon benchmarks at www.firingsquad.com, (http://www.firingsquad.com,) you'd get significantly better value from AMD 64 CPUs.
It seems FB makes good use of dual channel memory so I recommend Socket 939.
Also, S939 supports more RAM while keeping aggressive timings (2 channels each driving 1 stick). I suggest 2 x 512.
Problem: there are no inexpensive Socket 939 CPUs at present. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif If u cant afford a 3500+, I suggest a 3200+ with 1 MB cache - good overclocking candidate IMO and the bigger cache makes up for some of the lost bandwidth. Just make sure you buy memory certified to run (fast) with your motherboard.

Get the fastest GPU you can afford. Keep in mind BoB is around the corner http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/heart.gif and it would be really silly to need an expensive upgrade next winter...

S. and yes : go for it - it is really fun and very gratifying

SUPERAEREO
08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
I see that many of the good people here have already shared websites and resources, so I would just like to put in a word of encouragement: I had almost never touched the interior of a PC before (well, only once to add a memory stick and the second time to change a video card), but when it had become evident that my old Compaq (PIII 800MHz.) was really struggling I had no other alternative but to build a new rig.

Well, with the help of a couple of manuals and answers to my questions kindly provided by the tecchies in various forums, within a couple of months of hunting down good components in the sales I found myself with a perfectly working gaming PC. Not the fastest or the most performing, sure, and if I was to build it now I'd probably chose more modern parts than I did 6 months ago, but it works well, it cost me less than a branded machine and, above all, is almost infinitely upgradeable. I don't really think I'll buy a ready made PC ever again if I can build it myself instead.

One thing I would advise you to do would be to buy a good and up-to-date manual on building a PC. A cheap one is fine as long as it is not old.
It will come useful for when you have a doubt on some wiring and it's 11:30 on a Monday night and you have no-one around you can ask.
Other than that websites like tomshardware.com are invaluable to keep abreast of new products coming into the market and gaining know-how, and the people here in the technical help forum are simply priceless.

Good luck and good work!

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down." - Chuck Yaeger

"Ja, Hunde, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" - Friedrich der Große

"Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes" - *neid

Bearcat99
08-11-2004, 10:23 AM
It isnt as hard as it seems. I highly recommend it. The stuff you will learn from doing that will set you on your way to becoming IT independent. The tech forum will be a source of good advice. Speaking of the tech forum.. I am moving this thread over there...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/bookstore/tuskegeebondposter.jpg (http://www.tuskegeeairmen.org)[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles (http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat)[/list]
UDQMG (http://www.uberdemon.com/index2.html) | HYPERLOBBY (http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/) | Sturmovik Essentials (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959) | MUDMOVERS (http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmovers/index.htm)

IMMERSION BABY!!

Bearcat99
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
If I could just figure out how.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/bookstore/tuskegeebondposter.jpg (http://www.tuskegeeairmen.org)[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles (http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat)[/list]
UDQMG (http://www.uberdemon.com/index2.html) | HYPERLOBBY (http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/) | Sturmovik Essentials (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959) | MUDMOVERS (http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmovers/index.htm)

IMMERSION BABY!!

crazyivan1970
08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Admin-&gt;Manage-&gt;copy-&gt;lock http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/band.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

mortoma
08-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I've built a number of computers but my last 4 or 5, ( since 1999 ) have been based on Asus motherboards, both for Pentiums and AMDs. I have never had any trouble with Asus mobos!! There are other good brands but I have had such good results with Asus, I don't know if I could build a computer with anything else in it. One thing I did was not only to buy a wrist strap, but I also took an old electrical cord and broke off both the flat prongs, leaving only the round ground prong. Then I stripped the green ( ground ) wire on the other end and connect that to my computer's case, then attach the wrist strap at the same spot. Then I plug in the ground prong in an electrical outlet. No static worries, not even on dry, cold days in the fall or winter. Another thing I recommend is to go over everything about the mobo really well ( jumpers, LED lights, switches, dip switches, etc. ) about ten times. Power it up the first time with only the video card installed and leave sound cards and unnecessary stuff out at first and go in and set up the Bios very carefully. Put in the hard drive and then install Windows. Put in the other cards such as the sound card after you install Windows. Then spend a day or two installing the other cards, updating mobo drivers and all the other drivers and tweaking Windows. Then, and only then, will you be ready to install FB. You should get a driver disk for you mobo drivers, like the chip set and PCI bridge drivers with your motherboard.

ploughman
08-12-2004, 06:49 AM
QUOTE] 6. Last but definitely not least...RTFM!!! Seriously, read all the manuals BEFORE putting anything together. It makes the whole process easier if you have even a slight visual of what you need to do. [/QUOTE]

Is this guy serious? If I read a manual before I put something technical together I'd have to start shopping for bras and wearing lipstick. You should ONLY read the manual AFTER you've put something together and ONLY after you've gone totally postal on the bits that aren't supposed to be left over (but nevertheless are) with a 16oz claw hammer. Jeez.

71RAF_Wildman
08-12-2004, 07:34 AM
yay a thread i need..

Heres what im looking at to make:

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III V1000D Super Tower

Processer: im thinking the AMD 64 bit..dont know much about it tho..still unsure here..

Mobo: no clue what so ever..

Sound Card: Audigy 2

Hard Drives: im lookin to get the biggest i can find. Got a 18mb right now..no room what so ever.

Optical Drives: DVD/CD-RW and a burner

Graphics card: im thinking a ATI 9800

RAM: bout 1 gig..

Anyone got any suggestions for motherboard or processer? dont care about price.. itll jus take longer to put together. Anything i should change to what im looking to use or any thing i should watch out for? or anythign at all i need to know...before i start buying everything....Would appricate the help and advice http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Squadron Leader Wildman
Commanding Officer
#71 RAF Eagle Squadron

"A good fighter pilot, like a good boxer, should have a knockout punch.... You will find one attack you prefer to all others work on it till you can do it to perfection...then use it whenever possible."
Captain Reade Tilley
http://blacksheepwebdesign.net/364thFG/364thFGWeb/wildmansig.jpg

LuckyBoy1
08-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Yeah, don't overlook the importance of a big, well cooled case with airflow that makes sense. I just built the following system...

Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=130

Prescott 2.8 GHz CPU (notorious for running hot as h@ll)

Zalman CPU heatsink and fan that I highly recommend...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=0

1 Gig of Corsair Value select RAM on two sticks...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=1

Some heat spreader type stuff to cool the RAM and make higher overclocking possible...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=907104795

I put all this stuff in a new case...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-105&depa=1

I scrapped out my 400 watt Antec power supply from the old computer and used my existing 36 GB Western Digital Raptor hard drive along with my Santa cruz sound card and other optical andd floppy drives. Total cost with some supplies figured in was, let's see, about...

$735.00 U.S.

I haven't even maxed the overclocking out and get a 3DMark score of 6855. Not bad for the money I spent!

Now with an actual index & more fiber! It is newer & and even more improved! It's Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users!...

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/luckyboy/LuckyboysGuide2.htm

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

westcoastphil
08-12-2004, 08:35 AM
If you're building an Athalon 64+ system, make sure you get a power supply with at least 20 Amps on the +12 volt rail. 64+ are power hungry.

As far as a recomendation for a 64+ system? I'm using a 3000+ with a Chaintech VNF-250 mobo. The mobo has some quirks and maybe I shouldn't have bought it but at 90 bucks it was a pretty good deal. Pluse it was one of the few Nforce3 chipset mobos out there at the time. I recommend a Nforce3 chipset mobo, as these have true AGP/PCI lock if you're going to be overclocking. Personally, I'd stay away from Via chipsets as they've been known to be very buggy, but then again my VNF-250 ain't no angel.

http://members.cox.net/riknbkr330/vox_girl_stand.jpg
Westcoastphil = Voxman

China Flanker 1
08-12-2004, 09:54 AM
i see

http://www.chinapro.com/888/dngs.gif

mortoma
08-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Asus has some fine motherboards for Athlon 64s, so at least go to www.asus.com (http://www.asus.com) to check out what they have. I'd also recommend spending some $$ and getting Corsair memeory chips. Never scrimp on memory cards, you get what you pay for there!!! Go to www.corsairmicro.com (http://www.corsairmicro.com) to check out there line of recommended memory for Athlon 64s.