PDA

View Full Version : The REAL Assassin's Creed (Historical facts about the AC1 creed)

FL4PPYflap
07-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Hey guys,

So I just wanted to share something I found interesting. You guys remember Altair and the Creed during the Crusades?

Well the Creed was based off of the Hashashin Order (A.K.A Hashshashins, Hashishins, Hassassins, or Hashashiyyins).
We get the modern word "Assassin" from this Arabic word.
The Creed was formed around 1092 by Persians and Syrians. They set up their headquarters in Alamut, which was destroyed. The Assassins later fled to Masyaf.

Have you ever noticed how sometimes, in the video game, Al Mualim says "Assassiyoon?"
I first thought he was just pronouncing the word "Assassin" in a weird way, but it turns out that in the time of the "Real Life Assassins", there was an Assassins leader named Hassan-i Sabbah. He liked to call his student Assassins "Asasiyun", an Arabic word meaning "those who are faithful to Asas"
"Asas" is the foundation of the Creed (Nothing is true, Everything is permitted)

Assassins and their means of killing were mentioned in Marco Polo's writings.

Al-Mualim was based off one of the Real Life Assassin leaders, Rashid ad-Din Sinan. "Al-Mualim" means "the mentor"

Robert de Sable was actually a real person in history, and was the Grand Master of the Templar order.
In the game he died in 1191 while in real life he died in 1193.

Salah Al'din was based of the real life Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb, or Saladin. In the game, King Richard and Saladin were in conflict while irl they respected each other and were allies. He was the chief enemy of the Assassins.

The Assassins were also behind the death of Conrad of Montferrat.

Here are the links to some of the articles I got the info from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashid_ad-Din_Sinan

Well, that's all I got. Hope you guys enjoyed it ;).

(Btw sorry I kinda just threw all the info in there without it being organized.)

WolfTemplar94
07-02-2012, 07:00 AM
I was able to waste a good half an hour reading different wikipedia pages. Thanks! :)

Jexx21
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Most long-term members of the AC forums already knew about all of this :P

Also, almost every single assassination target in the Assassin's Creed games were real people, and a lot of your allies were real people as well.

MT4K
07-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Like Jexx said. Most long term fans of the franchise pretty much already knew all this.

Still it is good information for anybody who didn't, and considering there are no doubt lots of new people around which is only going to increase closer to release and after. It will give them some background to the games' connections to real life :).

Slayer_WTF
07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

Dejan507
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
In the game, King Richard and Saladin were in conflict while irl they respected each other and were allies.

Uhm.. are you sure about that? I'm no history expert, but as far as I know Richard led the crusades to occupy Jerusalim which was under Saladins control.
Then when he couldn't win the city back, he and Saladin came to an uneasy agreement and Richard left.. That don't seem like allies to me. Respected? Sure I guess real men respect their enemies but they were in a war..

blazefp
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
"Asas" means "wings" in portuguese. So basically, does Nothing is true, everything is permitted mean wings?

SaintPerkele
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Uhm.. are you sure about that? I'm no history expert, but as far as I know Richard led the crusades to occupy Jerusalim which was under Saladins control.
Then when he couldn't win the city back, he and Saladin came to an uneasy agreement and Richard left.. That don't seem like allies to me. Respected? Sure I guess real men respect their enemies but they were in a war..
Indeed. They were not allies at all but rather the leaders of two armies at war with each other. However, they both had indeed high respect for each other and eventually both decided that a truce would be the best choice.

FL4PPYflap
07-03-2012, 04:06 AM
"Asas" means "wings" in portuguese. So basically, does Nothing is true, everything is permitted mean wings?

Umm... I'm pretty sure Portuguese isn't the same thing as Arabic. So...

FL4PPYflap
07-03-2012, 04:10 AM
Like Jexx said. Most long term fans of the franchise pretty much already knew all this.

Still it is good information for anybody who didn't, and considering there are no doubt lots of new people around which is only going to increase closer to release and after. It will give them some background to the games' connections to real life :).

Crap. I didn't know that haha. Well, hopefully there are some people who didn't know this that will be drawn to this thread. Yeah, I've been playing the AC games ever since the first one and I've had a Uplay account since AC2, I just never made a forums account until like last month or something like that.

FL4PPYflap
07-03-2012, 04:28 AM
Indeed. They were not allies at all but rather the leaders of two armies at war with each other. However, they both had indeed high respect for each other and eventually both decided that a truce would be the best choice.

Yeah I got that part wrong. The Battle of Arsuf is where Altair kills Robert de Sable and Saladin's forces are defeated by Richard's army. This was in 1191, however Robert dies in 1193 irl. In 1192, Richard and Saladin signed an agreement that I wouldn't call uneasy, but out of respect for each other. When Richard's horse was killed, Saladin sent two more horses for him. Richard proposed that Jerusalem would remain Muslim territory but at the same time open to English Cristian pilgrims. Richard also wanted their families to intertwine through marriage: Saladin's brother would marry Richard's sister, and these two were to be rulers of the territory. I think this was to say:The war between us is over, we are no longer enemies. Saladin died in 1193 before he could reply to Richard's proposal.

blazefp
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Umm... I'm pretty sure Portuguese isn't the same thing as Arabic. So...

I know but then is just an interesting coincidence xD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I feel extremely accomplished when I saw this back in 2007. I am Syrian, so my ancestors may have started the Assassin order 8D
With that being said, the ingame counter part is not surprizingly close too the real life counter part, minus the fact that I am sure the IRL Assassin's could not do stuff that the in game Assassin's can do.
Did you know AC begun when Patrice was looking around for something about a PoP game, then he became fascinated with the Hashashin so started AC?

And oh, Hashashin means high in arabic, high as in on drugs. Most people thought they were high because they did killings in public, high profile.
Which always explains how in AC, all of the kills are in front of people an so on.

Medo3G
07-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Have you ever noticed how sometimes, in the video game, Al Mualim says "Assassiyoon?"
I first thought he was just pronouncing the word "Assassin" in a weird way, but it turns out that in the time of the "Real Life Assassins", there was an Assassins leader named Hassan-i Sabbah. He liked to call his student Assassins "Asasiyun", an Arabic word meaning "those who are faithful to Asas"
"Asas" is the foundation of the Creed (Nothing is true, Everything is permitted)
You made me feel dumb for not noticing that, and I speak Arabic.
I knew a lot of the info before from history classes and research when the game came out, but thanks for your efforts :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
And oh, when one of the guards in the Battle of Arsuf screams ''Hashash!'' he basically screams ''It is one of the high's!'' again, high meaning well...high. I had too pause the game because it made me lol, out of the blues ''He is high!''

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 06:00 AM
I feel extremely accomplished when I saw this back in 2007. I am Syrian, so my ancestors may have started the Assassin order 8D
With that being said, the ingame counter part is not surprizingly close too the real life counter part, minus the fact that I am sure the IRL Assassin's could not do stuff that the in game Assassin's can do.
Did you know AC begun when Patrice was looking around for something about a PoP game, then he became fascinated with the Hashashin so started AC?

And oh, Hashashin means high in arabic, high as in on drugs. Most people thought they were high because they did killings in public, high profile.
Which always explains how in AC, all of the kills are in front of people an so on.

Interesting...for some reason, when I play a game that seems almost totally fictional, it is so intriguing to learn that most of the game was historically real and that there were actually real Assassins.

Yeah, it's gotta being cool being Syrian and then playing as a Syrian assassin. I'm Irish so if they make a game with an Irish assassin (which probably won't happen) that would be so cool for me!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 06:02 AM
It just bugged me how he had a American accent -___-
So finally when I strike luck and get too play as a awesome character from my country ''Hurr durr lets accent him with american!1!!1''
Why Ubisoft? why not give Ezio the american accent instead? lol.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 06:22 AM
It just bugged me how he had a American accent -___-
So finally when I strike luck and get too play as a awesome character from my country ''Hurr durr lets accent him with american!1!!1''
Why Ubisoft? why not give Ezio the american accent instead? lol.

Yeah I think that was a stupid idea. Everybody (except for Altair) had authentic voices. They had good voice actors. Altair's voice actor was utterly horrible. I heard somewhere that if you interacted with Lucy at one point in the game, she say's that Altair's voice was like that because the Animus altered with it in some way.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 06:25 AM
His voice was literally like some dude came back, he was bored too death, they told him ''Hey, just read stuff off of this script'' and he read it off, record
???
Profit.
And what I hated is all the others had AUTHENTIC voices. All of them were accented.
Anyways, not too drift off topic: Did you guys know that IRL, the the Mongols basically attacked Masyaf as shown in Revelations? but they explained how the Assassin's survived in AC by having Altair too basically spread them all across and having them attack a empty castle...

Altair, trolling at the age of 92.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 06:37 AM
His voice was literally like some dude came back, he was bored too death, they told him ''Hey, just read stuff off of this script'' and he read it off, record
???
Profit.
And what I hated is all the others had AUTHENTIC voices. All of them were accented.
Anyways, not too drift off topic: Did you guys know that IRL, the the Mongols basically attacked Masyaf as shown in Revelations? but they explained how the Assassin's survived in AC by having Altair too basically spread them all across and having them attack a empty castle...

Altair, trolling at the age of 92.

Altair was great. It was sad to see how he was very close friends with Abbas and then their relationship got so distorted when Abbas's father died.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Funny you reminded me about Abass, yesterday I was walking through the Supermarket *Buying chocolate and milk xD* The dude at the casheer was called Abass. I saw his name on a tag he had and one of the guys shouted ''Sofian, come here'' gradually I was in a big WTH moment.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Funny you reminded me about Abass, yesterday I was walking through the Supermarket *Buying chocolate and milk xD* The dude at the casheer was called Abass. I saw his name on a tag he had and one of the guys shouted ''Sofian, come here'' gradually I was in a big WTH moment.

Hah dude that's so cool! :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Rahish Ad Din Sinan as quite interesting, considering he is a real life dude aswell *Leader of the Syrian sect*
I liked how accurate the Assassin's were. Most games with some historical component would be something FAR from the actual history.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Hey actually, I got story for you too.

So like a month ago I went to go visit some college friends in California, and I visited a music store called Guitar Center to buy some stuff for my drum set. I was wearing an Assassin's Creed shirt I bought and think the cashier noticed it. His name was Leandros. So I asked him whether I should buy Zildjian cymbals or Sabian ones. He goes, "Buy the Zildjians or throw yourself into the canyon!"

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:14 AM
.....Leandros, ya know, that bald guy, the dude with the cape? the guy which is basically a cut scene boss fight?
LOL. Should have recorded that. Last time I went too Syria I had a AC hoody, and I went too Masyaf, I went too the very top, rememmber that thing you jumped off? that was there, no hay of course tho, I was incredibly tempted too jump....
But too be fair, I want be alive when ACIII comes out.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
.....Leandros, ya know, that bald guy, the dude with the cape? the guy which is basically a cut scene boss fight?
LOL. Should have recorded that. Last time I went too Syria I had a AC hoody, and I went too Masyaf, I went too the very top, rememmber that thing you jumped off? that was there, no hay of course tho, I was incredibly tempted too jump....
But too be fair, I want be alive when ACIII comes out.

Man, I'm so jealous. I want to go to Masyaf!
I just realized we've been replying to each other on different threads for like an hour now xD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Works for me, I am trying too fix my sleep by staying all day long and then hitting the bed early, what's a better way the Ubisoft forums? :D

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Works for me, I am trying too fix my sleep by staying all day long and then hitting the bed early, what's a better way the Ubisoft forums? :D

Your absolutely right! I love these forums :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:26 AM
293 posts and still going, if you look at Lonelysoldiers siggy, there is text under the picture, pretty lol worthy.
And some people doubted the accuracy of the hidden blade, actually, on some Assassinations, they would put the dagger in they're sleeve, then take it out too stab the target they had too kill. While that may or may not be where the idea of the hidden blade come from, pretty sweet.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:28 AM
293 posts and still going, if you look at Lonelysoldiers siggy, there is text under the picture, pretty lol worthy.
And some people doubted the accuracy of the hidden blade, actually, on some Assassinations, they would put the dagger in they're sleeve, then take it out too stab the target they had too kill. While that may or may not be where the idea of the hidden blade come from, pretty sweet.

Dang, 293?! Bloody potatoes, I only have like 50!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:31 AM
298 now. In one day.
Somebody give me an award xD
So far tho, all of the games have been accurate, how accurate will AC III be?
I guess under this British vs American heat it will be tough. I hope they touch on slaves tho, dont wussy out on that but show all of the British negatives.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:37 AM
298 now. In one day.
Somebody give me an award xD
So far tho, all of the games have been accurate, how accurate will AC III be?
I guess under this British vs American heat it will be tough. I hope they touch on slaves tho, dont wussy out on that but show all of the British negatives.

Yeah, maybe you can rescue slaves that have have some talent and recruit them into your brotherhood if Ubisoft puts that whole feature back in. I don't think that will be likely though, as Connor seems like a lone-wolf type of assassins even though he seems like he has been taking sides with the colonists.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:39 AM
You do see recruits, but how you will recruit them is something I dont know. But I would hate it if only negatives are shown on the British.
I am not American nor British, but just saying, I hate biased games, specially the historical type.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:42 AM
You do see recruits, but how you will recruit them is something I dont know. But I would hate it if only negatives are shown on the British.
I am not American nor British, but just saying, I hate biased games, specially the historical type.

Yeah I agree, I really don't want this game to be the whole "America **** yeah! I'm an American!" And that last trailer was just terrible.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I can understand if it was 4th of July only, but ALL the trailers are like that. All of them.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I can understand if it was 4th of July only, but ALL the trailers are like that. All of them.

Yes, the marketing is so contradictory to what Ubisoft has said about the game not being biased.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
They're marketing is ran by monkeys *One of the Ghost Recon advertises is just....let's say who thought of that should jump off a roof* so I feel sad for the devs.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM
They're marketing is ran by monkeys *One of the Ghost Recon advertises is just....let's say who thought of that should jump off a roof* so I feel sad for the devs.

Hopefully the next Assassins Creed game won't have epic fail marketers.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Maybe if the next game is not set in America, no problems will arise. Sad too see that anything set in America will have tough marketing times.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Maybe if the next game is not set in America, no problems will arise. Sad too see that anything set in America will have tough marketing times.

I wonder if they will make a series with Connor like they did with Ezio.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
I severely doubt that. This should conclude the Desmond story, if they milk us 3 others games, sorry, nope, I can watch the ending on YT.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
They should conclude the Desmond story.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Have Benjamin Franklin pimp slap Vidic too death.
Sorry, just had too say that.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Have Benjamin Franklin pimp slap Vidic too death.
Sorry, just had too say that.

LOL that cracked me up xD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:16 AM
...I need too write for Ubisoft.
I also want too see them point at the fact, that the founding fathers were kind of well... They smoked Marijuana, if my sources are right.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 08:21 AM
...I need too write for Ubisoft.
I also want too see them point at the fact, that the founding fathers were kind of well... They smoked Marijuana, if my sources are right.

They were pretty "high" profile, ya know?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I see what you did there :P
I would like too see the negatives on both, show the awful things on the British side, but show that the Colonies weren't perfect either.

FL4PPYflap
07-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I see what you did there :P
I would like too see the negatives on both, show the awful things on the British side, but show that the Colonies weren't perfect either.

Yep, definitely. There were bad and good on BOTH sides.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-04-2012, 08:30 AM
And nobody give me this ''But Assassins = freedom, and Colonials = freedom''
If the Americans were ran by Templars, dont you think basically after the British are gone, the Templars within the Americans would turn the state of things back too the war they fought for? basically rendering the entire thing useless?

FL4PPYflap
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
And nobody give me this ''But Assassins = freedom, and Colonials = freedom''
If the Americans were ran by Templars, dont you think basically after the British are gone, the Templars within the Americans would turn the state of things back too the war they fought for? basically rendering the entire thing useless?

Exactly. Assassins need to be neutral, and they strive to complete their own mission. If they by any means can complete their mission with the help of the colonists, they will. But however, the Assassin remains neutral and his "freedom" is very different from the colonists' "freedom". "They speak of liberty and justice, but for who?" "I will fight the enemy in the name of liberty REGARDLESS OF THE ENEMY'S ALLEGIANCE."
I don't think Connor will be working with the redcoats, but I think he will be killing some colonists.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
And too add, Freedom back then did not have equality, one of the Assassin's main goals.

FL4PPYflap
07-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I wonder if there will be native american guards in some of the camps throughout the frontier.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Yep. They said you will face other Natives. I like that, as tribes did fight each other.

JCearlyyears
07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
What if someone thought all native americans were in the same tribe?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

JCearlyyears
07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Hahahaha. It's a good thing I don't think all native americans are in the same tribe.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 11:58 PM
That link is something you should keep. The amount of uses are unbelivable. 5 times usage in a hour only.

FL4PPYflap
07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Hahahaha. It's a good thing I don't think all native americans are in the same tribe.

lol