PDA

View Full Version : Why are people getting angry at smoke bomb?

FreshGroundFX
06-29-2012, 01:36 AM
I just finished playing a 2 on 3 Manhunt and I was on the team of 2 and we won the game. One of the guys on the other team was soo angry. He's like "omfg, why so much smoke bomb, this game is no longer fun, it's just people with their bullsh**".

??? If you are losing to other people's strategies then change your strategy... what am I supposed to do to make the game fun for you, let you kill me?

Like what....?

MrKnox122
06-29-2012, 02:11 AM
It depends how it been using..if you use it as Offense ability people will get mad if you abuse it like some other people. If you use it once for Forces that's accept but still bad move. Lately in ACR of the one and only patch Smoke Bomb got patch so much it became over powered. The height got raise and the side got raise as well. It deploy faster then you kill depends on lags. Stuff like that can make people mad I am one of those people. I dislike smoke bomb I think that doesn't take no skill. You could use it if helps you but it my opinion.

Stowdace
06-29-2012, 05:02 AM
If Smoke Bomb is used as a defensive tool to stun or escape from your pursuer(s), that's fine. It means you are using the ability as intended.

However, in Wanted for example, offensive Smoke Bomb is rampant and cheapens the overall experience of the game. It can be used to:
-Find a target in a blend group
-Secure a easy Poison/Focus kill
-Snare targets so they can't escape
-Counter target's Smoke Bomb

The worst part is, that is ALL players use it for. Out of the 10+ Wanted matches I've played today, I have only seen defensive Smoke Bomb TWICE!
In short, noobs need offensive Smoke Bomb to compensate for lack of skill. Good thing for that nerf in AC3 ;)

Anykeyer
06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Dont get me wrong. I would like SB to be nerfed or OSB is no longer usefull (AC3 is already on that track). But using OSB takes skill. Yes, its annoying. Especially in DM where it looks like no once has skill to poison without OSB. Its also boring for lack of variety.
But to get hidden+focus from OSB you need to be actually stealthy before you throw OSB. Because otherwise target will hit stun button and even in best scenario you will lose focus because of dodge animation. And it will take some skill to perfectly time your kill to get a hidden after dodging. OSB can also be used to get some grab kills on roofs or near rails you will not get otherwise (sometimes even with knifes). And this use also takes skill and timing.

Vengeance2D
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
In my case I HAVE TO use Smoke Bomb... my Ping is Very High (from Bangladesh), so without Smoke Bomb, chances are I will get Stunned or Killed every single time.

MrKnox122
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
this is ACR rules

"Today you will have the honor of playing one of the greatest games ever invented. A game of skill, agility, cunning. A game with one simple rule. Dodge."

Archybad
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
It's an ability that secures you two stuns or an easy focus/hidden/acro in Brotherhood, and in Revelations it gets you three stuns or an easy focus/hidden. It does this with one of the shortest cooldowns in the game and is therefore overpowered. You can also use smoke to push npcs to see if they're your targets, and use it to prevent yourself from being stunned/killed while you kill/stun. It was less bothersome in Brotherhood because even though it was overpowered there, you could at least avoid it by timing your attack well. Revelations removed the delay and subsequently timing the sprint in is almost impossible, and then they made it so you can no longer quickly run up walls into acrobatic positions to avoid it. AC:R smoke is ridiculously OP. AC:B smoke is quite OP but at least has a few counters.

pioneerprogres
06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't know why they patched smoke bomb to make it more powerful than it already was, but the fact is they did it. And since it's so powerful, and so many people use it, and you have these ridiculous stun prompts, you just about have to use it, offensively or defensively. I never used it much in ACB, but it's pretty much a staple of ACR. Like it's been said, all you can do is adapt and change your strategy accordingly.

obliviondoll
06-29-2012, 02:47 PM
ACB had mildly OP Smoke, which needed a slight increase in cooldown, and had a weird inability to function properly on sloped surfaces.

Pre-patch ACR Smoke had the same glitchy behaviour on slopes as ACB, but also had issues with an increased activation delay. This made it unreliable and difficult to use because of inconsistencies rather than it being a skill-based ability. In terms of cooldown, which ACTUALLY needed attention from the ACB version, no change had been made.

When they patched ACR, they tried to "fix" it by giving it insanely large vertical effect (1/3 of the buff they actually gave it would have been sufficient). In addition to over-buffing that aspect, they made Smoke take effect INSTANTLY (as in, before the animation even starts), making it literally the fastest-acting ability in ACR (it beats Mute). As a result of this, and the continued lack of increase to the ability's cooldown period, it's now ridiculously overpowered instead of merely borderline overpowered.

AC3 is (finally) increasing the cooldown, but E3 footage and interviews have made it clear that the devs don't intend to tweak the vertical effect at all (which is stupid). If there's a beta which proves otherwise, I'll be happy. If there's a beta which proves me right, I'll be more confident in my intention to buy a used copy of the game and pretend there's no multiplayer.

But basically, the reason people complain about Smoke is that it's blatantly and inarguably better than any other ability in ACR when all factors are taken into consideration. A major part of the problem is the cooldown, so HOPEFULLY the extension to this is enough to balance things out, but I think a slight debuff to the current verticality will probably also be necessary.

cjdavies
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM
The worst part is, that is ALL players use it for. Out of the 10+ Wanted matches I've played today, I have only seen defensive Smoke Bomb TWICE!
In short, noobs need offensive Smoke Bomb to compensate for lack of skill. Good thing for that nerf in AC3 ;)

This happens all the time when I play Deathmatch with Level 50's, I'm starting to prefer playing with lower levels!!

Smokebomb is themost powerful ability in the game imo and with the shortest cooldown.

My set is Disguise/Poison and most of the time I have no problem poisoning my target, it may only be discreet or silent but still I got the poison. It is possible to get focus and posion, when they are grounded - down to luck.

luckyto
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Depends on your lobby. I never use OSB in Deathmatch anymore, or any mode really. No need for it. And I win or podium almost every match. It's just that so many people suck that they have to use it. I guess if I sucked I'd use it to, I know I used it a lot when I was a noob.

The patch was issued to address one of the main complaints: lag and stairs. In a way, it made it easier for morons to use it and made Mute worthless. But, at least smoke is reliable now, and pre-patch it was not reliable. With the height, they overshot it.

With smoke, they have at least increased the cooldown, that will reduce it. I personally wish they would take the ability to get a focus out as well, that would reduce a LOT of the cheap tactics associated with smoke.

DovahBear
06-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Because almost every one uses it now and its getting annoying.

UrbanSaint
06-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Because Smoke Bomb is so overpowered you are practically putting yourself at a disadvantage if you DON'T have it.

Ezio_ilMentore
06-30-2012, 12:18 AM
This is Brotherhood or Revelations?

Serrachio
06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
You know, when I watched a video of people playing the AC3 MP demo at E3, and one person ran up to a grounded pursuer and Smoke Bombed them while they were kneeling on the ground, it made me feel angry slightly.

I guess I was just disappointed with the way that Smoke Bomb, with the instant effect and all it's many advantages, it's now used less efficiently than before.

They need to take Smoke back to pre-patch ACR and then add the cooldown. I wouldn't hate a toned down vertical effect that OD has mentioned, but making one ability into the token "does everything and more" card is poor design choice.

I would also like an improved duration to Mute, though you could still only get one stun with it, and that it should be made more viable against running pursuers. I wouldn't mind taking out the identification aspect of it though. Disabling a player is more than enough time to strike. You shouldn't be able to walk in blindly to a blend crowd, activate Mute and then instantly kill your defenseless target.

Charge could do without the slowdown effect at the end, since you can't really steer with it all that well. This would bring back the aspect where if you miss your pursuer, you could still attempt an escape.

Anyway, I'm rambling on, so I'll stop at these points.

mockers00
06-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Lol

1. It's overused, I think this is the main reason why people hate it

2. It's the most OP and powerful ability in the game

3. It's boring and since it's overused the smoke bomb just becomes this boring ability that annoys people.

Done.

Stowdace
06-30-2012, 05:55 AM
I would also like an improved duration to Mute, though you could still only get one stun with it, and that it should be made more viable against running pursuers. I wouldn't mind taking out the identification aspect of it though. Disabling a player is more than enough time to strike. You shouldn't be able to walk in blindly to a blend crowd, activate Mute and then instantly kill your defenseless target.
Woah there, Serrachio! I'd rather have them fix Mute so it'd be more functional first before they make changes to it. You know, instead of failing 2/3 of the time like it does now.

Serrachio
06-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Woah there, Serrachio! I'd rather have them fix Mute so it'd be more functional first before they make changes to it. You know, instead of failing 2/3 of the time like it does now.

Which is why I mentioned it should be more viable to counter running pursuers. Most of the time, players are killing their targets through Mute because they rush in and are able to kill before the ability expands outwards.

It cuts people to a jog now, but by the time they're that close to you, a slight jog isn't going to make a difference. Increasing the duration slightly and making it more effective at catching High Profile players would allow it to work more often.

BELDAM
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Lol

1. It's overused, I think this is the main reason why people hate it

2. It's the most OP and powerful ability in the game

3. It's boring and since it's overused the smoke bomb just becomes this boring ability that annoys people.

Done.

Aggreed!

But I confess, I use it offensively, more so than defensively because there are too many glitches, other players use it excessively and the lag pisses me off no end!
(CONNECTION: GOOD. NAT: OPEN with all green bars - Go figure!)

Many a time have I approached a target INCOGNITO with FOCUS, pressed X to get half way through the kill animation, only to have it interrupted by a defensive smoke bomb (DSB) enabling them to get a stun. But lately when I started using OSB to counter this kind of ****, some people felt justified in abusing me for it. Then again, I’d be pissed off too if I got poisoned for 2,300 points in a single kill and I was unable to do anything about it.

Also, if a pursuer is caught in your DSB, please explain to me, anyone, how they are able do dodge your stun attempt and kill you in the end?

If people really want to test their metal and prove that they have some skill, they should try playing SIMPLE DEATHMATCH and endeavour to get scores between 5,500 to 6,500 points and beyond. Otherwise, they are simply “Ability Addicted Amateurs”.

IMO!

cjdavies
06-30-2012, 02:02 PM
[Also, if a pursuer is caught in your DSB, please explain to me, anyone, how they are able do dodge your stun attempt and kill you in the end?

Is that Resistence perk does, reduces the amount of times you are stunned?

I have now changed my perk to Relience is it, to lower the amount of time an ability is used against me, and it has worked sometimes, like last night I got OSB'ed, my purser was trying to get the focus I assume and I stunned them and then I just taunted them :D I do get great satisfaction that I can poison someone with the smokebomb.

BELDAM
06-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Is that Resistence perk does, reduces the amount of times you are stunned? I rying to get the focusdon't use it but guess that's what it's for.

I have now changed my perk to Relience is it, to lower the amount of time an ability is used against me, and it has worked sometimes, like last night I got OSB'ed, my purser was trying to get the focus I assume and I stunned them and then I just taunted them :D I do get great satisfaction that I can poison someone with the smokebomb.

I disagree.

RESISTANCE reduces the amount of time you are stunned. It does not make you stun proof or stop you from being stunned!

RESILIENCE reduces the amount of time you are affected by an ability. It does not make you ability proof or stop abilities from affecting you!

I use a 4 second SBs. If you get caught in it, you should be out of action for at least 2 seconds, even with RESILIENCE as one of your perks. This still gives me enough time to stun you. Somehow, they still manage to dodge the stun and get the kill. As far as I am concerned, this is a glitch and total BULLSH1T. Ubisoft need to pull the thumbs out of their asses and fix these things.

I’ve also had repeated instances where I have identified a pursuer in high profile, locked him, deployed the smoke bomb as he closes for the kill (still in high profile, mind you) with no effect. They ran straight through the SB as if it wasn’t even then there! TOTAL UTTER CRAP!

And people wonder why I get upset! :mad:

cjdavies
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I disagree.

RESISTANCE reduces the amount of time you are stunned. It does not make you stun proof or stop you from being stunned!

RESILIENCE reduces the amount of time you are affected by an ability. It does not make you ability proof or stop abilities from affecting you!

I use a 4 second SBs. If you get caught in it, you should be out of action for at least 2 seconds, even with RESILIENCE as one of your perks. This still gives me enough time to stun you. Somehow, they still manage to dodge the stun and get the kill. As far as I am concerned, this is a glitch and total BULLSH1T. Ubisoft need to pull the thumbs out of their asses and fix these things.

Ah it's the other way around, I couldn't view it earlier multiplayer was down.

This is what pisses me off, I have that set as perk to avoid being OSB'ed as I'm pissed off with it and I still get killled when spamming B to stun most of the time.

luckyto
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
HAHA.. that's what you get for OSB. May you get stunned more.