PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ubisoft (AC-wise) give benefits to Playstation users?

BATISTABUS
06-27-2012, 06:52 AM
We all know Ubisoft and Sony have some kind of Assassin's Creed deal that gives Playstation (3 and PSP/Vita) users extra content (and games...). This type of content ranges from pre-order bonuses (those who pre-ordered Revelations received a full download of the first AC game), to exclusive missions, to multiplayer betas.

Business is business, and fans don't directly have any say in the matter. Still, I would like to know the details of this deal. According to vgchartz.com, the Xbox 360 version of Revelations outsold the PS3 version 3.53 million to 3.45 million (PC sold .33 million). Is Ubisoft just trying to match sales on both consoles? Did this deal go along with Ubisoft's movie deal made with Sony? Is Sony just paying Ubisoft a lot of money? Are the details of this agreement even available to the public?

On the surface, this deal doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Shouldn't they be rewarding their loyal Xbox fans? Wouldn't it make sense to give the beta to the console with more players and more online users? If they want to increase sales, shouldn't they focus on the PC gamers? The month-long delays certainly don't help. Are PC sales just so comparatively low that they honestly don't care about those fans?

The purpose of this thread isn't to complain (although the deal does upset me as an Xbox 360 owner), but rather to see if there are any real answers. I'm not trying to start a console war, so please don't respond with "Because PS3's better!" If this deal is a result of the movie agreement, I think that would make the most sense and be the most comforting to fans (as Ubisoft apparently got crazy creative control over the project http://www.vulture.com/2011/11/assassins_creed_movie_sony_ubi.html ).

GunnarGunderson
06-27-2012, 06:57 AM
For the same reason that the 360 gets Call of Duty expansions months ahead, it's just incentive for people to take sides

Azula2005
06-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Just pay 10$ when a dlc is out.

roostersrule2
06-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Just pay 10$ when a dlc is out.How when there's no DLC for us?

Sushiglutton
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
I guess Sony are giving Ubi a discount (the platform takes a percentage of every game sold, normally 25% I believe). Has nothing to do with Ubi liking one group of fans over the other. And Ubi don't care about even sales. It's Sony who think it's smart to have exclusive parts of games to promote their platform. The third party exclusive is dead. Now instead what MS/Sony are trying to do is to make their version of third party games more appealing by "buying" (like I said it's more of a discount) content/features for their platform. MS has the "Better with Kinect" slogan for games like Mass Effect etc. Sony had Joker in Arkham Asylum, Kratos in Mortal Kombat and so on.

This competition is ultimately good for the consumer as it means that money is tranferred from Sony/MS to the developers and that manifests in more content. I can understannd the irrational feeling that it's not fair that everyone is not getting the same. But that is really the wrong way to look at it.

BATISTABUS
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
So you're saying there's no deal at all, and Sony's just paying for extra content for their users? That's not how Sony made it seem at their E3 press conference.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2012, 07:36 AM
So you're saying there's no deal at all, and Sony's just paying for extra content for their users? That's not how Sony made it seem at their E3 press conference.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that? I mean obv there's a deal alomg the lines of Ubi making extra content for Playstation and Sony compensate them in some way.

Aphex_Tim
06-27-2012, 07:41 AM
The third party exclusive is dead.

Uncharted.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Uncharted.

No, Sony actually owns Naughty Dog.

alientraveller
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Assassin's Creed was originally PS3 exclusive, and ACR was able to fit AC1 onto the disc because it's Blu-ray.

roostersrule2
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Assassin's Creed was originally PS3 exclusive, and ACR was able to fit AC1 onto the disc because it's Blu-ray.They could fit the whole series on 1 disc it doesn't mean you have to do it.

mockers00
06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Because PSN users rock and Playstation rather make deals with Assassins Creed and Xbox rather make deals with Black ops 2 aka Playstation is smarter. Remember there from Japan.

an-assassin
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Just pay 10$ when a dlc is out.

The bonus for brotherhood wasnt made available as dlc. The bonus for revelations wasnt either for obvius reasons. You are thinking ajour the special edition bonuses. They Will be released as dlc.

dxsxhxcx
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
This competition is ultimately good for the consumer as it means that money is tranferred from Sony/MS to the developers and that manifests in more content. I can understannd the irrational feeling that it's not fair that everyone is not getting the same. But that is really the wrong way to look at it.

IMO encourage this kind of behaviour from their part is wrong, someday because we left them confortable about this they'll think that there's nothing wrong in make exclusive missions for "x" platform that could have some relevance to the plot (even if minimal) just to make their version of the game more appealing to the player, (they already charged the players for a DLC that had one of the most important revelations people wanted to know in ACR), you want to give EXTRA exclusive content for each platform like skins, multiplayer maps, weapons/etc then fine, but SP content (related to the plot) should be the same for everyone, no matter its relevance to the plot or the platform you play, if this trend continues someday people will be playing different games with the same name just because they own "x" platform..

and I don't see how this competition could be good for the consumer, maybe for PS3 owners since they are the only people that'll benefit from the PS3 version sales (or Sony will give half of the profits of what they'll get with this exclusive content to Microsoft? I don't think so), but what about Xbox and PC consumers (in this case)?!

Sushiglutton
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
and I don't see how this competition could be good for the consumer, maybe for PS3 owners since they are the only people that'll benefit from the PS3 version sales (or Sony will give half of the profits of what they'll get with this exclusive content to Microsoft? I don't think so), but what about Xbox and PC consumers (in this case)?!

The consumer benefits when a larger percentage of the money they spend on games goes towards game content. In this case Sony "pays" Ubi to make extra content for playstation. PC and Xbox don't lose a thing. They wouldn't have gotten the extra content had Sony not paid Ubi. The reason people get upset is just irrational jealousy ("someone else gets something that I don't get :(" ). If you should blame anyone it's Microsofrt because they are too cheap towards their consumers to buy extra content. They want to keep all the margin for themselves.

dxsxhxcx
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
The consumer benefits when a larger percentage of the money they spend on games goes towards game content. In this case Sony "pays" Ubi to make extra content for playstation. PC and Xbox don't lose a thing. They wouldn't have gotten the extra content had Sony not paid Ubi. The reason people get upset is just irrational jealousy ("someone else gets something that I don't get :(" ). If you should blame anyone it's Microsofrt because they are too cheap towards their consumers to buy extra content. They want to keep all the margin for themselves.

If that`s really the case then you`re right... but I don`t think we should call it jealousy, I bet many PS3 owners would be upset if the the same happened to them, everyone just wants to enjoy the maximum the game they love can provide...

still a pity that the companies can't (or don't want to) find another way (that doesn't revolve around SP story) to make their games more appealing, but since it's about business we are talking about maybe this is too much to expect from them...

freddie_1897
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
this whole thread is pointless.

i hope all you XBOX users are enjoying the Dawnguard DLC at the moment. No console is better in terms of games. we get uncharted, you get halo. fairs fair. arguing is just going to get us no where

Biomedical-Fire
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
As someone pointed out earlier, AC was originally an PS3 exclusive, so this is probably why the PS3 gets exclusive stuff. As far as the PSP thing is concrened, I think that MS would probably get treated fairly too if there was an Xbox portable gaming machine to put the AC franchise on. I will say this though, I think that there should be an 360 MP beta as well, because I hate that the bugs can't be worked out for us until after the game is released when a majority of them can be worked out if there was a beta for the 360 crowd.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Console manufactures pay publishers to get extra/timed/exclusive content. Sony does it with AC, Microsoft does it with COD. It's just how it is.