PDA

View Full Version : Boston is 50 percent larger than rome

Tomaeagle
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
well the title says it all

Link: http://attackofthefanboy.com/e3/minutes-colonial-boston-assassins-creed-iii/

it may be a mistake on the part of the writer but if it is, we've got one mama of a game hereto explore:D

Azula2005
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Oh god, no way? That's wrong..

Might as well make the map all of America.

WolfTemplar94
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Hopefully it's more interesting than Rome though. I got bored of Rome's style after a while. The rumoured size is making me glad fast-travel is back :)

Aphex_Tim
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
I've read that the Frontier is the major setting and is 50% larger than Rome.
I think they kinda misunderstood it.

JCearlyyears
06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
By Rome, do they mean the entire map of Brotherhood?

Tomaeagle
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM

i'm not sure, he may have meant just the size of the city area, but i'm not sure

De Filosoof
06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Boston 80% as big as Rome.
New York 80% as big as Rome.
The frontier 150% as big as Rome.

JumpInTheFire13
06-23-2012, 08:25 PM
So 2 Constantinoples and 1 and a half Romes. That's a big game.

De Filosoof
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Indeed ;). Boston didn't look as big as Constantinople in the demo though...

JCearlyyears
06-23-2012, 08:28 PM
How big is it compared to AC1 and 2?

MetalCreed
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
How big is it compared to AC1 and 2?
I think Florence and Venice are smaller than Boston and New York.

MT4K
06-23-2012, 09:02 PM

There's also the Naval free-roam but i'm not sure if they actually said how big that would be yet or not. If they did then i cannot remember.

TheHumanTowel
06-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah I remember hearing that too. i think you're right.

kriegerdesgottes
06-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I think it might have been a mistake. There is no way that Boston was bigger than Rome in the late 18th century. That doesn't even make sense.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-23-2012, 09:21 PM
+ the Carribeans which will probably be mostly water + some islands to visit

I think it might have been a mistake. There is no way that Boston was bigger than Rome in the late 18th century. That doesn't even make sense.Wasn't bigger even than 16th century Rome. Agree that this would be weird

JCearlyyears
06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
But what if Boston was that much bigger than Rome? It would be amazing. It already is amazing. It would be amazinger.

Assassin_M
06-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Mistake for sure..

Im not buying it..
and people shouldn't buy it, because come release date everyone will be like "Ubisoft are liars, they said larger than Rome and now its smaller, BAD UBISOFT" and crap like such..

JCearlyyears
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Mistake for sure..

Im not buying it..
and people shouldn't buy it, because come release date everyone will be like "Ubisoft are liars, they said larger than Rome and now its smaller, BAD UBISOFT" and crap like such..

You are right. I don't believe it, I think they would need MUCH more time to be able to make that much.

Assassin_M
06-23-2012, 09:30 PM
You are right. I don't believe it, I think they would need MUCH more time to be able to make that much.
Not to mention the space and processing power they`ll need..
I mean what they bring already pushes the Console`s limits, but that is just preposterous..

RatonhnhakeFan
06-23-2012, 09:49 PM
This is New York in 1776:
http://www.clements.umich.edu/exhibits/online/spies/c-map-newyork.jpg

Those American cities were really not big during revolution

rileypoole1234
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Either it's way bigger than I though or they meant the Frontier.

tarrero
06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Mistake for sure..

Im not buying it..

This!!!!!! pretty much what happened with the PAX east incident.

What I would believe though, is that Boston is half of Rome, which is bigger than Florence map.

SixKeys
06-23-2012, 09:58 PM
This!!!!!! pretty much what happened with the PAX east incident.

What I would believe though, is that Boston is half of Rome, which is bigger than Florence map.

Actually I think Rome was three times the size of Florence, so if that comparison were true, it'd be 1/3.

My thoughts: it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it. ;) Meaning I hope there'll be enough interesting things to see and lots of missions in each area, otherwise you'll just end up with a lot of pretty scenery with nothing to do, like Constantinople in ACR.

Assassin_M
06-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Im calling it now..

BS and I agree with SixKeys so DARN much..

tarrero
06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Actually I think Rome was three times the size of Florence, so if that comparison were true, it'd be 1/3.

Yeah, but what I meant, is that it was a typo mistake, instead of 50% bigger it is that boston is 50% Rome, and the Frontier is 150% Rome.

oliacr
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
good news - if its true

Sushiglutton
06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't believe that either. But I'm not worried about the size, it has never been a problem for the series. The focus should be on the core mechanics that have been weak in comparison. But Im optimistic because Alex seems to have made the right analysis :)!

naran6142
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I love the units of measure were using

2 Constantinoples and a Rome :p

beatledude210
06-23-2012, 11:13 PM
These have probably popped up on the forums before, but I thought it might shed some light on the sizes of New York and Boston.

New York ca. 1776
http://www.firedbydesign.com/fbdimg/2010/05/Episode-2-New-York-1776.jpg

Boston ca. 1723

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/2885434112_Boston_ca1723.jpg/800px-2885434112_Boston_ca1723.jpg

LightRey
06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
This is New York in 1776:
http://www.clements.umich.edu/exhibits/online/spies/c-map-newyork.jpg

Those American cities were really not big during revolution
They said they were making them bigger than they actually were though.

AnthonyA85
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM

THIS!!! So **** much!

It's been confirmed a few times that they had to increase the size of Boston and New York in AC3 purely for the sake of gameplay. I can't exactly remember which interviews or aticles stated this (one of the gameinformer articles i think), and during the navel demo at e3, they confirmed that we'd be able to visit most if not all of the eastern sea board, exactly how much, i'm not sure.

I'm not sure how much larger they are compared to their RL counterparts, but they're definitely bigger, since they're 20% smaller than rome, and the Frontier is 150% larger than rome.

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I think you mean 50 percent larger than Rome for the frontier. 150 percent larger would be...

an-assassin
06-24-2012, 02:48 PM
if this is true, the world will be TOO big, if you ask me. I dont want to walk for 15 minutes through lots of useless, but pretty, cities. You can get too much of the good.

playassassins1
06-24-2012, 02:53 PM
if this is true, the world will be TOO big, if you ask me. I dont want to walk for 15 minutes through lots of useless, but pretty, cities. You can get too much of the good.

I agree, but who said the cities were going to be useless?

BBALive
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
They got the Frontier and Boston mixed up.

They said that the cities were both about 80% of the size of Constantinople.

BBALive
06-24-2012, 03:31 PM
THIS!!! So **** much!

It's been confirmed a few times that they had to increase the size of Boston and New York in AC3 purely for the sake of gameplay. I can't exactly remember which interviews or aticles stated this (one of the gameinformer articles i think), and during the navel demo at e3, they confirmed that we'd be able to visit most if not all of the eastern sea board, exactly how much, i'm not sure.

I'm not sure how much larger they are compared to their RL counterparts, but they're definitely bigger, since they're 20% smaller than rome, and the Frontier is 150% larger than rome.

The Frontier is 50% larger.

They specifically said 1.5 times bigger, which is equal to 50% bigger.

kriegerdesgottes
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM

I believe this is true but I'm really not happy about that. I love the accuracy of recreating the cities. That is one of my top favorite things about AC. I don't want them to deviate from reality to make the cities bigger than they actually were.

Tomaeagle
06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
either way we get huge game

SixKeys
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
The Frontier is 50% larger.

They specifically said 1.5 times bigger, which is equal to 50% bigger.

Nitpicking, but they said 1.5 the size of Rome, not 1.5 times bigger. Otherwise it'd be 2 and a half Romes.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
either way we get huge game
:o

BATISTABUS
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd like to know how this map compares to that of Red Dead Redemption...

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I kinda hated the map in RDR because all the town/ settlements were so small. The frontier was big though.

BATISTABUS
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
I kinda hated the map in RDR because all the town/ settlements were so small. The frontier was big though.
Well, yeah. The focus of RDR wasn't really traversing the cities. For AC3, I expect a similar map size. The cities will be much larger, and the wilderness will be smaller proportionally.

Krayus Korianis
06-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, yeah. The focus of RDR wasn't really traversing the cities. For AC3, I expect a similar map size. The cities will be much larger, and the wilderness will be smaller proportionally.

Yea, but honestly... There's a lot of space between Amsterdam and Boston. A LOT of space.

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
They have the WHOLE space between?! That's crazy! There's a LOT of space!

Krayus Korianis
06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
They have the WHOLE space between?! That's crazy! There's a LOT of space!

I know right? Can't wait >.<

FL4PPYflap
06-24-2012, 11:53 PM
The map size in Revelations was pretty disappointing so I'm glad AC3 will be big!

mockers00
06-25-2012, 12:23 AM

That's awesome hopefully the city is not to reptivie looking but it seems to be different, just seeing how they have that dock area and stuff. 3+ years maybe not tho? but they had to rebuild the whole system anyway but they do have diffrent people working on diffrent thing's at one time.

MT4K
06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Not forgetting that both cities and the frontier each have a summer and winter variant which will look and probably play slightly differently from each other (like gettikng stuck in deep snow and being more inclined to stick to the trees)

SixKeys
06-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Not forgetting that both cities and the frontier each have a summer and winter variant which will look and probably play slightly differently from each other (like gettikng stuck in deep snow and being more inclined to stick to the trees)

Would be kind of cool if the landscape would change in other ways from season to season. Like those fallen tree trunks Connor can use to climb higher, it'd be interesting if they were random. One would be there in the winter but by the time summer came, that same tree would have been chopped up into firewood by some farmer, so you would have to find alternate routes.

mockers00
06-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Would be kind of cool if the landscape would change in other ways from season to season. Like those fallen tree trunks Connor can use to climb higher, it'd be interesting if they were random. One would be there in the winter but by the time summer came, that same tree would have been chopped up into firewood by some farmer, so you would have to find alternate routes.

I am not sure if thing's change like that, but with the frontier being so dam big and the frontier looking like a real forest and tree's everywhere. I am not sure if we will even be able to recognized certain areas unless their distinct area's were camps or little villages are around. The frontier itself from what I have seen, seems really diverse with falllin tree trunks and random rock setting's, creeks, rivers and etc.

The forest looked very realistic, not many games have done forest gameplay but out of anything just not how it looks visually but placement and accuracy and realism it looks like A REAL FREAKIN FOREST and by saying it looks like a real forest I would never remember how the forest looks only by certin visually distinct landscapes in the forest but overll I would forget how things would look, the landscapes it's quiete amazing if you ask me quiete amazing indeed.

CSKarasu
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Big deal the expanse is big. Assassin's Creed is supposed to be about ancient cityscapes and parkour. If people got bored by cityscapes they are going to get bored even quicker by huge expanses of land, if there was a quick travel option most players would see the surrounding area even less.

Assassin_M
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
big deal the expanse is big. assassin's creed is supposed to be about ancient cityscapes and parkour. If people got bored by cityscapes they are going to get bored even quicker by huge expanses of land, if there was a quick travel option most players would see the surrounding area even less.

wrong !!

MT4K
06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
wrong !!

This... as a dev once said in an interview "It's not about climbing buildings, it's about climbing" So anything is fair game in that regard :) be it buildings in a city, trees in a forest, or mountains.

telcontar7
06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Nitpicking, but they said 1.5 the size of Rome, not 1.5 times bigger. Otherwise it'd be 2 and a half Romes.
That's the same thing.
If it had been 2 and a half Romes, they would've said that it was 2.5 times bigger or 2.5 the size of Rome.

FL4PPYflap
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
It would kinda be cool if throughout the game, the cities would develop as the story progressed. Like maybe people could be building new buildings in the city and at the end of the game the building would be finished. Just an idea.

SixKeys
06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
It would kinda be cool if throughout the game, the cities would develop as the story progressed. Like maybe people could be building new buildings in the city and at the end of the game the building would be finished. Just an idea.

They did say that we would get to see cities change in some ways. For example Connor will see New York before, during and after the Great Fire in 1776.

Ellems
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm excited!

Ellems
06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
That's the same thing.
If it had been 2 and a half Romes, they would've said that it was 2.5 times bigger or 2.5 the size of Rome.

Correct! 1.5 xx 1 = 1.5 lol

Ellems
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM

Unless there was an easy way to fast-travel between areas of course

Moultonborough
06-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Unless there was an easy way to fast-travel between areas of course

There will be a fast travel of some sort. Though they have yet to say how it will work.

Acrimonious_Nin
06-26-2012, 01:36 AM
I am going to assume that they are underground tunnel networks. Being that Mines were common then. I will posit that mines will be the method of the new Fast travel mechanic. Maybe like a small mine or something :D