PDA

View Full Version : (*new*) Undocumented Post~Patch AI CAP Feature in FMB

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 04:15 AM
I never saw this amazing item documented with The Patch, yet it could vastly change the way missions are built. Remember in FB 1.0 when the AI aircrafts' last waypoint was NORMFLY and the AI would all glide to crash landing or immediately try to find an airfield? Well somebody changed that in a stunning way in Patch 1.1b or Patch 1.11 and didn't say anything about it. (I am using Patch 1.11)

Playing with the external views tonight, I found that when AI aircraft last waypoint is NORMFLY, the AI circle around that last and final waypoint until out of fuel before landing at a nearest airfield--but while circling they are active! Circling fighters (with ammo left of course) will repeatedly attack enemy aircraft that come into range (7 km).

The nice thing is that no longer do you have to set hundreds of waypoints to get aircraft to remain on active combat air patrol over a small area. This also allows fighter cover to protect ground units without having to worry about timing flights to meet (..nearmiss..?).

The "nonset" type of ground attack aircraft (like Ju~87G--some aircraft require a SET for ground attack) without a SET ground target will attack any enemy ground unit moving within 0.7 km even if there were no ground targets within that range earlier.

*** This takes a little thinking:: This depends on where the (fast) aircraft are on their circular orbit--orbit is at least a few km in diameter and the non~SET ground attack detection range is only 0.7km. But when the ground attack aircraft move to the point nearest the (slowly) approaching tanks or whatever, they will maneuver to attack. (non moving active ground units like artillery are not relevant here...only moving vehicles, tanks, and I suspect trains too).

After the fighter or bomber attack they will try to return to the circling altitude given by the last waypoint. However, the circling aircraft, after engaging a lower enemy, will climb back to their last waypoint altitude but if they don't make the altitude by the time they reach the waypoint they will circle at the altitude reached. Also, the aircraft seem to slowly lose altitude until just above the ground but they will remain cirling until out of fuel and they *will* remain combat ready until out of ammo (I would think) or out of fuel and land at nearest airfield (or nearest friendly field)

Also, for at least some missions, the missions are short enough that the spiral down and ammo out hopefully (?) won't result in too much empty aircraft flying circles at ground level, at least if you put the last waypoint altitude high enough. But its not much worse than empty ammo aircraft flying repeated waypoints trying to fly air patrol like the previous method.

One bad thing is that when out of ammo, the circling planes of course refuse to engage in combat. Approaching fighters will attack the circle but because the circling aircraft are circling, the attacking fighters do waste ammo on them as they can't do decent deflection shooting against slowly turning targets.

-------

Yesterday I was playing around with He~111 and set it on autopilot just to enjoy the view from the top gunner of the sunset sky with our formation contrails and it was then that I first noticed the odd behavior. After the last waypoint (NORMFLY), my autopilot Heinkel kept flying round and round the sky....this was NEW! So tonight I did some experimenting and confirmed this "new" feature--for me anyway.

So why didn't they tell us?

I know I know::
-- Oleg was to announce it at the Party Congress on Monday.
-- You know how Oleg loves surprises.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Message Edited on 10/18/0303:21AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 04:15 AM
I never saw this amazing item documented with The Patch, yet it could vastly change the way missions are built. Remember in FB 1.0 when the AI aircrafts' last waypoint was NORMFLY and the AI would all glide to crash landing or immediately try to find an airfield? Well somebody changed that in a stunning way in Patch 1.1b or Patch 1.11 and didn't say anything about it. (I am using Patch 1.11)

Playing with the external views tonight, I found that when AI aircraft last waypoint is NORMFLY, the AI circle around that last and final waypoint until out of fuel before landing at a nearest airfield--but while circling they are active! Circling fighters (with ammo left of course) will repeatedly attack enemy aircraft that come into range (7 km).

The nice thing is that no longer do you have to set hundreds of waypoints to get aircraft to remain on active combat air patrol over a small area. This also allows fighter cover to protect ground units without having to worry about timing flights to meet (..nearmiss..?).

The "nonset" type of ground attack aircraft (like Ju~87G--some aircraft require a SET for ground attack) without a SET ground target will attack any enemy ground unit moving within 0.7 km even if there were no ground targets within that range earlier.

*** This takes a little thinking:: This depends on where the (fast) aircraft are on their circular orbit--orbit is at least a few km in diameter and the non~SET ground attack detection range is only 0.7km. But when the ground attack aircraft move to the point nearest the (slowly) approaching tanks or whatever, they will maneuver to attack. (non moving active ground units like artillery are not relevant here...only moving vehicles, tanks, and I suspect trains too).

After the fighter or bomber attack they will try to return to the circling altitude given by the last waypoint. However, the circling aircraft, after engaging a lower enemy, will climb back to their last waypoint altitude but if they don't make the altitude by the time they reach the waypoint they will circle at the altitude reached. Also, the aircraft seem to slowly lose altitude until just above the ground but they will remain cirling until out of fuel and they *will* remain combat ready until out of ammo (I would think) or out of fuel and land at nearest airfield (or nearest friendly field)

Also, for at least some missions, the missions are short enough that the spiral down and ammo out hopefully (?) won't result in too much empty aircraft flying circles at ground level, at least if you put the last waypoint altitude high enough. But its not much worse than empty ammo aircraft flying repeated waypoints trying to fly air patrol like the previous method.

One bad thing is that when out of ammo, the circling planes of course refuse to engage in combat. Approaching fighters will attack the circle but because the circling aircraft are circling, the attacking fighters do waste ammo on them as they can't do decent deflection shooting against slowly turning targets.

-------

Yesterday I was playing around with He~111 and set it on autopilot just to enjoy the view from the top gunner of the sunset sky with our formation contrails and it was then that I first noticed the odd behavior. After the last waypoint (NORMFLY), my autopilot Heinkel kept flying round and round the sky....this was NEW! So tonight I did some experimenting and confirmed this "new" feature--for me anyway.

So why didn't they tell us?

I know I know::
-- Oleg was to announce it at the Party Congress on Monday.
-- You know how Oleg loves surprises.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Message Edited on 10/18/0303:21AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 04:20 AM
The AI flying in circles is nothing new, and certainly not a feature.

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 04:23 AM
But the AI being combat ready is new, at least for some. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Thx for usefull info/findings. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

If you just wrote a load of fluff about nothing your thread would be still at the top. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Mark