PDA

View Full Version : Horses

Sushiglutton
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
So horses are back again. I thought they were ok in Brotherhood, even though I didn't use them that much. I liked how you could whistle for them and them jump to them. And the assassination move where you jumped to another horse and killed the rider was also cool (like in the colloseum tomb). Now here are some things I'd like:

- Horses should be a bit faster. There should be like a sense of speed and power when you ride them.
- Horses in Brotherhood twitched just before starting galloping which was a bit annoying. I'd like a smoother transition this time. Same thing when they jumped.
- Better animations. Ezio is animated brilliantly, so the difference compared to the horses was pretty big.
- Just as there are constructed free-running tracks that starts with a white cloth in the cities, there should be the same for horses in the fronitier. A few bushes, a stream and a fence perhaps.
- Be able to lean on one side like in the picture below. You can use this to pick up weapons/objects, or to take cover vs firing lines (I noticed Connor actually did this in the CGI trailer).
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4075/4859095996_ab75c716de.jpg

- Dragging enemies behnid you using the ropedart.
- Ride backwards so you can take out pursuers.
- Equal amount of British and American horses!... Jk jk :p

Anyone else want more and better horse features?

EscoBlades
06-17-2012, 06:42 PM
In b4 someone inevitably brings up the horse mechanics from RDR (which were truly awful)

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
In b4 someone inevitably brings up the horse mechanics from RDR (which were truly awful)

Ok? Never had an issue with them. And I hope horses are very rare. Would be a real shame for Ubi to put so much time into the trees and landscape only to have people clipping along across the map on a horse.

rileypoole1234
06-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Gonna be honest, I liked to horse mechanics. I liked the feeling of controlling Marston on the horse, and not just controlling the horse.

I liked the horses in AC1 the best though, so if the controls were exactly the same, I would be fine. I think using the bow on the horse would be cool. It would give it a real Native American feel. (If they actually had horses, that is)

Assassin_M
06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Red Dead Redemption
PERIOD !! inspite of Esco xD

JumpInTheFire13
06-17-2012, 06:58 PM
What was wrong with the horses in RDR? I thought they were a lot more authentic than the ones in AC.

pacmanate
06-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I loved Red Deads horses.

Anyway, the horses in AC games all SUCK BALLS. They are absolutely horrible.

EscoBlades
06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
What was wrong with the horses in RDR? I thought they were a lot more authentic than the ones in AC.

The controls felt sloppy, not "tight" at all, especially for something like riding a horse, which a lot of the time, required a good deal of precision.

The number of times my horse decided to ride off a cliff just because of the awkward turning circle, or slow response to directional commands meant i missed a turn on a time critical objective.

Of course (and i forgot to add), this is all my opinion. But that game was a lot more frustrating as a result of that issue.

Edit: The AC horse controls weren't great either, but were much better for me than the RDR ones

JumpInTheFire13
06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the horses in RDR, and really, this is true for almost any Rockstar game, is having to repeatedly tap X or A to make them run.

rileypoole1234
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
The controls felt sloppy, not "tight" at all, especially for something like riding a horse, which a lot of the time, required a good deal of precision.

The number of times my horse decided to ride off a cliff just because of the awkward turning circle, or slow response to directional commands meant i missed a turn on a time critical objective.

Of course (and i forgot to add), this is all my opinion. But that game was a lot more frustrating as a result of that issue.

Edit: The AC horse controls weren't great either, but were much better for me than the RDR ones

The one thing that I hated about RDR's horses is that every time I called my horse it would run up to me, and then continue to run until I chased it down and hopped on.

Sushiglutton
06-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Never noticed those problems tbh. But I guess it's hard to distiguish the animatins (which are clearly superior in RDR) with the actual gameplay. But to me horses felt a lot smoother in RDR. Also much better feeling of speed.

Sushiglutton
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
The one thing that I hated about RDR's horses is that every time I called my horse it would run up to me, and then continue to run until I chased it down and hopped on.

I ususally spam the mount button and most of the time that woirks. But yeah horses are pretty braindead at times. Like when they drown themselves in rivers.

Met4lM4ster
06-17-2012, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Sushiglutton;8394176]

THIS! Possibly the best addition that could be made to this game. Many fond memories of dragging scum across the land in RDR. :cool:

TheHumanTowel
06-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I know this a matter of opinion but that is literally wrong. o_0 Red dead has far better horse mechanics than AC.

FirestarLuva
06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Sushiglutton;8394176]

THIS! Possibly the best addition that could be made to this game. Many fond memories of dragging scum across the land in RDR. :cool:

AnthonyA85
06-17-2012, 08:01 PM

This happens to me every time i call a horse at the start of the Mal Practice Memory in Brotherhood (which is one of the reasons i gave up trying to do that memory), i'd call the horse, and it'd run right past me and circle half way round the ***** house before i caught it, loosing valuable seconds in the process.

Since i've never played RDR (don't have a PS3) i can't comment on that game's horse mechanics, but i will say this:

I hope we get back the ability to gallop.

AC1: We could gallop.
AC2: We could gallop.
ACB: We could only canter, which was about 50% slower than a full gallop, while i understand why it was taken out (the narrow streets of Rome), i hope we get it back for the Frontier, and i hope that we can take horses into Boston and New York. I can't imagine why we wouldn't be able to, since the streets in AC3 are apparently a lot wider than they were in Rome and Constantinople.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Ok? Never had an issue with them. And I hope horses are very rare. Would be a real shame for Ubi to put so much time into the trees and landscape only to have people clipping along across the map on a horse.

the snow during the winter time will definitely hinder horse riding

notafanboy
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM

thats like saying you like bat**** and biscuits, it may be your opinion... but it is just...wrong.

eagleforlife1
06-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Red Dead Redemption
PERIOD !! inspite of Esco xD

Have to say I agree.

eagleforlife1
06-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I know this a matter of opinion but that is literally wrong. o_0 Red dead has far better horse mechanics than AC.

^

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Yea...motion captured horses have bad horse mechanics? What?

rileypoole1234
06-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Yea...motion captured horses have bad horse mechanics? What?

Motion capturing something has nothing to do with mechanics, it's all about animation.

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 09:07 PM

I don't want to be that guy, but that just sounds like you were terrible at it. It's not hard and I've never had any of those problems, and I've logged 58 hours in just single player.

Also, what's the point of this inb4 nonsense? Is it a vague attempt at trying to stop something before it starts? Because if that's the case, you've succeeded in doing the exact opposite and derailing the thread completely.

OT, we saw a horse being used in the frontier demo. I'd be really surprised if that was done just for the demo, but I'd also be really surprised if horses weren't rare. The game isn't ginormous, it's big. Horses would make it feels smaller and defeat the purpose of tree-running if they're too prevalent.

JumpInTheFire13
06-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Since i've never played RDR (don't have a PS3) i can't comment on that game's horse mechanics, but i will say this:

RDR is a multiplatform game.

ShadowRage41
06-18-2012, 12:11 AM
]Gonna be honest, I liked to horse mechanics. I[/B] liked the feeling of controlling Marston on the horse, and not just controlling the horse.

I liked the horses in AC1 the best though, so if the controls were exactly the same, I would be fine. I think using the bow on the horse would be cool. It would give it a real Native American feel. (If they actually had horses, that is)

Yeah I have no idea why he felt that way. The horse AI ect was exceptional in RDR. because horses played such an integral part of the world. they made sure the mechanics and the AI was really good for the horses. and the horses responded well when running at a cliffs edge. the would slow up like they were telling us jjust because you are dumb enough to try it. does not mean I want to. much like a real horse. I believe horses should play a major role in AC III in the frontier. as for every mission or side mission. I can imagine there will be plenty of stealth action on foot. still that should not diminsh the importance of the horse in colonial America. Just my 2 cents..

MetalCreed
06-18-2012, 01:03 AM
I have to admit, that gameplay of the horse in the frontier video blowed.
I was also disappointed that they didn't improve on the hose physics/ animation or the horse models. I was expecting something as good as the horse gameplay in Red Dead Redemption.

EscoBlades
06-18-2012, 01:19 AM
I don't want to be that guy, but that just sounds like you were terrible at it. It's not hard and I've never had any of those problems, and I've logged 58 hours in just single player.

Also, what's the point of this inb4 nonsense? Is it a vague attempt at trying to stop something before it starts? Because if that's the case, you've succeeded in doing the exact opposite and derailing the thread completely.

OT, we saw a horse being used in the frontier demo. I'd be really surprised if that was done just for the demo, but I'd also be really surprised if horses weren't rare. The game isn't ginormous, it's big. Horses would make it feels smaller and defeat the purpose of tree-running if they're too prevalent.

It was my failed attempt at being humourous, while delivering my point of view on the inevitable comparisons that would have been made to RDR (as have already been done with other game mechanics present in AC3 so far)

And no, i wasn't terrible at RDR. There are quite a few posts, vids and message boards that share my point of view on the horse mechanics all over the internet. A simple google search will yield results. I accept it for what it is...an opinion. It was to promote discourse and discussion. Sorry you didn't like it.

Evenesque
06-18-2012, 03:41 AM
I would be perfectly happy if there were zero horses in the game.