PDA

View Full Version : loomer979 interview with Corey May @ E3

Turul.
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
loomer979 got a nice interview with Corey May (lead writer for AC3) at E3.

check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxm4zWZVG9Y&feature=g-all-u

ProletariatPleb
06-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Ahhhhh dam you! I was gonna post it, lol.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Ahhhhh dam you! I was gonna post it, lol.

heheheh

NOLA_Assassin
06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Sucks he didn't get to say that much:/

Met4lM4ster
06-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Nothing really new, but it's nice to know they're looking to continue the Assassin/Templar moral ambiguity conflictions.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Nothing really new, but it's nice to know they're looking to continue the Assassin/Templar moral ambiguity conflictions.

i never really realized how black and white its gotten

glad they're spicing it up a bit

notafanboy
06-17-2012, 08:35 PM
too bad they aren´t letting him out more

FirestarLuva
06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Awesome new information about Connor! So he'll have anger management issues? Great add to the story if you ask me. :)

Met4lM4ster
06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
i never really realized how black and white its gotten

glad they're spicing it up a bit
Yeah, in AC1 you really got the impression that the Templars had noble goals, but of course their means to those goals directly conflicted with the Assassins. Altair himself realized this as the game progressed. That kind of ambiguity faded a little with the sequels. Glad to know they're bringing it back. Clear-cut black and white tends to make stories bland and cliched.

SixKeys
06-17-2012, 09:22 PM
It kinda made me laugh how he answered almost every single question with "no comment". I understand the secrecy, it's just kind of a shame that the one time someone from the community is able to talk directly to the lead writer, he can't really say anything. I did appreciate the insight into Connor's character, very interesting.

eagleforlife1
06-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I know that this is massive nitpicking but anybody that has studied psychology will know that what Corey said at the end: that everything he does he does it for us isn't true. Everything we do we do for ourselves. We do for our own personal gratification or healing. Our actions will at times make other people happy but when we perform them it is for ourselves.

SixKeys
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I know that this is massive nitpicking but anybody that has studied psychology will know that what Corey said at the end: that everything he does he does it for us isn't true. Everything we do we do for ourselves. We do for our own personal gratification or healing. Our actions will at times make other people happy but when we perform them it is for ourselves.

Umm, sure, but I don't think he really meant it to be analyzed that deeply. If the series didn't have fans, Corey wouldn't have a job, so naturally he tries to deliver the best product that we, the fans, would find pleasing.

kriegerdesgottes
06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Umm, sure, but I don't think he really meant it to be analyzed that deeply. If the series didn't have fans, Corey wouldn't have a job, so naturally he tries to deliver the best product that we, the fans, would find pleasing.

Agreed and this franchise is also kind of his baby. Just like it was for Patrice Desilets so one can imagine he puts his hearts and soul into it and when people love it and support it I'm sure that makes him very happy so I would say he really does do it for the fans because he wants the fans to love this thing that he has had a huge part in creating.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Second thing about Ratonhnhaké:ton/big spoiler/big surprise = he's Charles Lee's son and has a twin brother/sister and there's some kind of a convoluted twist related to the fact that he has a twin sibling (probably something about bloodline/memories relevant in Desmond's arc). Sorry Corey, we already know, Wikipedia spoiled everything ;P

Awesome new information about Connor! So he'll have anger management issues? Great add to the story if you ask me. :)
Not if it turns out it's because his family got killed when his village was attacked. That would be been just copy+paste of Ezio which is the last thing Ratonhnhaké:ton needs as the new protagonist. But I can kinda see it coming already...

eagleforlife1
06-17-2012, 09:56 PM

I know. I was just pointing out that he brings the franchise to the fans because it benefits him. I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't care about his fanbase. Just brought it up for the sake of it I suppose.

rob.davies2014
06-17-2012, 10:37 PM
I know. I was just pointing out that he brings the franchise to the fans because it benefits him. I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't care about his fanbase. Just brought it up for the sake of it I suppose.

You could reduce it to reciprocal altruism but as any artist knows, there's a joy in sharing your work with other people.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM

im sure that's part of it. but i'm sure he's glad everyone is able to enjoy something he created. and is happy for them, and wants to live up to their expectations.

dont have to be so cynical mate

AnthonyA85
06-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Second thing about Ratonhnhaké:ton/big spoiler/big surprise = he's Charles Lee's son and has a twin brother/sister and there's some kind of a convoluted twist related to the fact that he has a twin sibling (probably something about bloodline/memories relevant in Desmond's arc). Sorry Corey, we already know, Wikipedia spoiled everything

Source?

RatonhnhakeFan
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Source?
you missed a ";P" at the end which mean my post is rather playful though I do fully expect that he's Lee's son. Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lee_%28general%29#North_America The same year of birth, exactly the same ethnic background as Ratonhnhaké:ton, AND we've already seen Lee and Ratonhnhaké:ton together in a scene. I mean, if it turns out to be true, then it was one of the most obvious things ever

JCearlyyears
06-18-2012, 12:17 AM

That is untrue. I don't want to derail this thread but I felt the need to disprove this. Anyone who does everything for their self is selfish. Your view is pessimistic and makes it seem as if no one would ever do anything just to help someone else human, or not. I'm a vegan and did it entirely to help animals, no other reason.

SixKeys
06-18-2012, 12:33 AM
That is untrue. I don't want to derail this thread but I felt the need to disprove this. Anyone who does everything for their self is selfish. Your view is pessimistic and makes it seem as if no one would ever do anything just to help someone else human, or not. I'm a vegan and did it entirely to help animals, no other reason.

You're also doing it because it makes you feel good to know you're helping animals. That is what Eagleforlife meant. It's not pessimistic, it's biology. Even the most noble, altruistic things we do are only partially for other people's benefit. A mother who throws herself infront of a car to save her child is doing it because the thought of living without her baby would be far more painful than the thought of physically getting hurt or even dying.

JCearlyyears
06-18-2012, 12:51 AM
I actually don't feel good about saving animals. I don't really feel anything about it, I know it's the right thing to do though so I do it, and even if I did feel anything about it, it's more secondary and wouldn't be the primary reason for it.

MT4K
06-18-2012, 12:54 AM
You're also doing it because it makes you feel good to know you're helping animals. That is what Eagleforlife meant. It's not pessimistic, it's biology. Even the most noble, altruistic things we do are only partially for other people's benefit. A mother who throws herself infront of a car to save her child is doing it because the thought of living without her baby would be far more painful than the thought of physically getting hurt or even dying.

What if a stranger jumps in front of the car to save somebody elses baby? Surely that would constitute as completely selfless?

SixKeys
06-18-2012, 01:07 AM
What if a stranger jumps in front of the car to save somebody elses baby? Surely that would constitute as completely selfless?

Again, the person who does something like that is doing so because the thought of NOT doing anything would be more painful for him/her than the thought of letting the baby die. It doesn't matter if it's their own baby or not, what matters is their motivation to do something. If they didn't get any satisfaction at all from knowing they might help save somebody, they wouldn't do it.

agitatedchimp
06-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Woah talk about off topic :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would LOVE Corey to do that idea of having multiple assassins and time periods i understand its not possible yet but in a few years please! that would be amazing!!

LionHeart XXII
06-18-2012, 01:24 AM
I too am Majoring in Psych right now, and where as both sides of the continuing argurment over morality have merit, for the sake of the forums, lets shelf that particular topic and move onto what the OP originally posted. That was an interesting interview.

JCearlyyears
06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
You can't know that those are their reasons. I'd say that's pessimistic to think that everybody is so selfish that they would never do anything just to help someone. Let's drop it.

Gespenst1246
06-18-2012, 01:33 AM
i like how you add more to your argument THEN say lets drop it
P.S. awsome sig!

JCearlyyears
06-18-2012, 01:53 AM
i like how you add more to your argument THEN say lets drop it
P.S. awsome sig!

Haha yeah, I edited it after I posted it to add the let's drop it because it would be awkward if someone asked me to stop and I disregarded them which would be rude(I started typing it before their post was posted so I didn't know they told us to drop it). Thanks, my sig took quite some time to make and I had no prior experience. On topic, Corey saying he couldn't say anything about Desmond in my opinion is a good thing because it will be left mostly untold until the game comes out which I think is good. The interview pretty much told us that they don't want to spoil the story.

LionHeart XXII
06-18-2012, 02:10 AM
yeah, i think for the most part, desmonds story is alway left untouched in the month leading up to an upcoming AC game for that very reason, to leave it a mystery. Therefor im not too terribly surprised that he wouldn't answer anything reguarding desmond. I mean, seriously, i didn't even know about desmond when i plugged in AC1 on release day and i was so confused

twenty_glyphs
06-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Good interview despite Corey's inability to talk about a lot of things. It's nice just to have someone from the fan community get to chat with him and see his reactions instead of always having professional journalists asking the questions. I like how they have told us just enough about Connor to get us interested in him, but haven't said much at all about his actual story. I want to experience as much as possible fresh when it finally comes out.

The fact that there are so many things they can't really talk about at all really makes me think the ending to the trilogy will be epic and wrap up a ton of plot threads that have been dangling for years. I just hope that doesn't set up a disappointment with how the end actually turns out. They're not even allowed to say if this will be the end of Desmond's story, which really makes me wonder where the series will go after AC3. I will not be surprised at all if AC3 ends on a cliffhanger. It just better be a cliffhanger about some new plot point after a lot of other things have been resolved.

Evenesque
06-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Good interview despite Corey's inability to talk about a lot of things. It's nice just to have someone from the fan community get to chat with him and see his reactions instead of always having professional journalists asking the questions. I like how they have told us just enough about Connor to get us interested in him, but haven't said much at all about his actual story. I want to experience as much as possible fresh when it finally comes out.

The fact that there are so many things they can't really talk about at all really makes me think the ending to the trilogy will be epic and wrap up a ton of plot threads that have been dangling for years. I just hope that doesn't set up a disappointment with how the end actually turns out. They're not even allowed to say if this will be the end of Desmond's story, which really makes me wonder where the series will go after AC3. I will not be surprised at all if AC3 ends on a cliffhanger. It just better be a cliffhanger about some new plot point after a lot of other things have been resolved.

I think Ubi is dancing around verifying a "conclusion of desmond's story," because to them, the universe established in that sliver of AC reality will eventually have extreme rammifications from what happens to him in these current games, so to them, his story might end, but his legacy will be woven very tightly into the games after this. That's why I think they're so reluctant to give us a yes or no.

loomer979
06-18-2012, 05:06 AM
It kinda made me laugh how he answered almost every single question with "no comment". I understand the secrecy, it's just kind of a shame that the one time someone from the community is able to talk directly to the lead writer, he can't really say anything. I did appreciate the insight into Connor's character, very interesting.

Actually I'm hoping to grab Corey for a podcast (either the official AC one or the one I co-host) sometime after AC3 comes out, and Corey seemed cool with the idea when I mentioned it to him at E3. I'm sure there will be lots of interesting things to talk about then, and if it's the podcast I co-host I'd probably want to solicit community questions for him too (similar to what I did for Jeffrey and Alex). Obviously no guarantees on any of this but it's something I really want to make happen.

Biomedical-Fire
06-18-2012, 05:08 AM
That was a very good interview with Corey, too bad though that he had to tap dance around most of the questions and leave a lot of ambiguity. However what he was able to talk about has made me feel even better about this game. Can't wait for this October!

naran6142
06-18-2012, 05:49 AM

ya i thought the same thing... if he cant even confirm that AC3 is the last of Desmond then there might actually be a modern game

Sukramo
06-18-2012, 06:34 AM
there might actually be a modern game

Hope, hope, hope!

BATISTABUS
06-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Because he wasn't able to talk about most of these topics, that at least means they were a discussion at one point.

Deltasparkz
06-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm glad he talked about Rosa, I posted something about it and people were saying it was a pointless thread

Turul.
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Actually I'm hoping to grab Corey for a podcast (either the official AC one or the one I co-host) sometime after AC3 comes out, and Corey seemed cool with the idea when I mentioned it to him at E3. I'm sure there will be lots of interesting things to talk about then, and if it's the podcast I co-host I'd probably want to solicit community questions for him too (similar to what I did for Jeffrey and Alex). Obviously no guarantees on any of this but it's something I really want to make happen.

that would be awesome!

Sick_one12
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
you missed a ";P" at the end which mean my post is rather playful though I do fully expect that he's Lee's son. Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lee_(general)#North_America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lee_%28general%29#North_America) The same year of birth, exactly the same ethnic background as Ratonhnhaké:ton, AND we've already seen Lee and Ratonhnhaké:ton together in a scene. I mean, if it turns out to be true, then it was one of the most obvious things ever

i wouldnt mind if this turns out to be true:DWhat bothers me though is he fact that now I know about this,which means if this is a big plottwist it would be ruined:p

so well.....now....i hope its not true:p;)

RatonhnhakeFan
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
i wouldnt mind if this turns out to be true:DWhat bothers me though is he fact that now I know about this,which means if this is a big plottwist it would be ruined:p

so well.....now....i hope its not true:p;)But you will have the satisfaction that you cracked the twist! :p

Sick_one12
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
But you will have the satisfaction that you cracked the twist! :p

well that credit would go to you;)

RatonhnhakeFan
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
well that credit would go to you;)

I didn't come up with this, saw it mentioned in multiple places already, credit would go to whoever first checked Charles Lee's Wikipedia page and connected the dots ;P

Back to speculation though, if this is NOT the twist/surprise Corey talked about, than I wonder what else could it be. The only other potential twist/surprise thing that comes to my mind is that maybe Ratonhnhaké:ton is not Desmond's direct ancestor.

BBALive
06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Second thing about Ratonhnhaké:ton/big spoiler/big surprise = he's Charles Lee's son and has a twin brother/sister and there's some kind of a convoluted twist related to the fact that he has a twin sibling (probably something about bloodline/memories relevant in Desmond's arc). Sorry Corey, we already know, Wikipedia spoiled everything ;P

Not if it turns out it's because his family got killed when his village was attacked. That would be been just copy+paste of Ezio which is the last thing Ratonhnhaké:ton needs as the new protagonist. But I can kinda see it coming already...

The "Charles Lee = Connor's father" theory has been thrown around a lot. It's a very solid theory, and I personally believe that it is correct. It will be settled when the game is released, I guess.

Calvarok
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
I seriously don't think he'll be his father. Charles Lee was shown with Connor when he was 17, not as a baby. This means it's more likely that Lee was one of the colonists who attacked his village. they want Connor to be an outsider. If his father is high-ranking, or so obviously alligned, that kinda diminishes that cred.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I seriously don't think he'll be his father. Charles Lee was shown with Connor when he was 17, not as a baby. This means it's more likely that Lee was one of the colonists who attacked his village. they want Connor to be an outsider. If his father is high-ranking, or so obviously alligned, that kinda diminishes that cred.
That cred already got diminished the moment they made Ratonhnhaké:ton be half-British. Also, if this is true, then showing a pic of Lee with him as a baby it would kind of confirm the entire thing.

Calvarok
06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
That cred already got diminished the moment they made Ratonhnhaké:ton be half-British. Also, if this is true, then showing a pic of Lee with him as a baby it would kind of confirm the entire thing.

Making him half british makes him technically an outsider among his people, which actually increases cred in my books. From what we know he has a difference of opinion with his tribe, which leads him to join the assassins instead of stickin with them.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Making him half british makes him technically an outsider among his people, which actually increases cred in my books. From what we know he has a difference of opinion with his tribe, which leads him to join the assassins instead of stickin with them.
But you said "if he's father is high-ranking officer then he's not really an outsider anymore". How? Since when kids have to automatically agree with their parents and belong to the same organizations/factions as they do? Not to mention that if Lee is his father, then he basically grew up without a father since Lee was outside America from 63 to 73, when Ratonhnhaké:ton would be 7/8-17/18 years old. So why would he automatically be alligned with his father's faction he has no connection with?

BBALive
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Even that matches up though. Charles Lee left his wife and children in 1757 (Connor would have been 2 years old) and took part in the Louisburg Expedition.

Assuming Connor was 17/18 in that screenshot, the year would have been 1773, the very year that Charles Lee returned to America from his various expeditions and battles.

kosmoscreed
06-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Poor Corey, he can't say a thing.

Calvarok
06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
But you said "if he's father is high-ranking officer then he's not really an outsider anymore". How? Since when kids have to automatically agree with their parents and belong to the same organizations/factions as they do? Not to mention that if Lee is his father, then he basically grew up without a father since Lee was outside America from 63 to 73, when Ratonhnhaké:ton would be 7/8-17/18 years old. So why would he automatically be alligned with his father's faction he has no connection with?
It would mean he DOES have a connection to a powerful man. Ubisoft has been very careful to make sure that the assassin and his family is entirely fictional for all previous assassins, because it doesn't bind them to the recorded history in regards to the player character. I just find it unlikely that they'll do that with someone so very high-profile.

EzioAssassin51
06-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I personally would love if they took a few year break and made a game with like 3 or so assassins like Corey suggested