PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku Article on AC3 "Can Americans not handle the sight of their ancestors killed?"

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Written by Stephen Totilo http://kotaku.com/5918810/can-americans-not-handle-the-sight-of-their-ancestors-being-killed-in-assassins-creed

How can you say your game isn't Team America but not be able to show a single scene of Connor, a supposed non-partisan in the American Revolution, from killing a single non-redcoat?Shouldn't we believe our eyes when we see a game that looks like it's all about killing the British, who fought against the people who would become the first Americans?
"As a team, we read that same coverage and we agree." Hutchinson said. "Yes, that's all you've seen. But the decision's gone to communicate on that angle. But we guarantee you that's not the game and we're going to be like...
He paused.
"That'll go away once you play the game. The only real evidence is: 'have the controller, have a copy of the game.'"

It has more than a whiff of condescension from the Ubisoft marketing team. It certainly feels like Ubisoft has simply decided we can't handle it. Is it because Ubi is French and the game is mainly being made in Canada? We Americans can't handle the sight of the hero of a potentially multi-million-selling blockbuster game killing our Founding Fathers? We can't tolerate that non-Americans are working on such a project?
Really?

Looks like someone is pulling the strings at the top to ensure the American market is not alienated by their marketing for AC3.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
You're still stuck up with this?

playassassins1
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Trolololololol!

obliviondoll
06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
So it's basically "everyone's babbling about this, so we here at Kotaku will find some way to turn the pointless conversation into an article!"

Yep. Very productive.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 09:29 PM
You're still stuck up with this?

Looks like Kotaku agree with me. Maybe I was mistaken posting the thread on the AC forum because there seems to be too much blinkering to Ubisofts marketing.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Looks like Kotaku agree with me. Maybe I was mistaken posting the thread on the AC forum because there seems to be too much blinkering to Ubisofts marketing. I'm neither American, nor British, and I really don't care if they made a game about killing my ancestors 300 years ago.

tarrero
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Bah!!!!

Not this again, on AC1 we killed english crusaders and no one complained. I am from Spain, and if ubisoft ever depicts us as "the bad guys", it may occur on Libetarion, I will be ok with it....

Kaiskune
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
while I agree with what your saying...flogging a dead horse will not get it to move any faster

what has been put forward as been addressed (supposedly) by the developing team. we can only wait and see what happens

sticks165
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
its a game, get over it.

Evenesque
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Just

Stop

TheHumanTowel
06-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I find this actually pretty comforting. It's obviously just the Ubisoft marketing team not having the balls to give a true representation of what the game is like. I'd imagine the devs are quite frustrated which explains why their constantly reassuring us it's not pro-american.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I find this actually pretty comforting. It's obviously just the Ubisoft marketing team not having the balls to give a true representation of what the game is like. I'd imagine the devs are quite frustrated which explains why their constantly reassuring us it's not pro-american.

Why is this comforting? that they wouldn't risk alienating one group over another because they get more money?

twenty_glyphs
06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Looks like someone is pulling the strings at the top to ensure the American market is not alienated by their marketing for AC3.

Yep, this article that draws a few conclusions from some developer interviews and is meant to drum up controversy and page views to help their advertising revenue is definitely proof that someone at the top is pulling the strings. Even if that's the case, shouldn't you be happy to see "proof" that it's just the marketing that's not showing the full story? Is it not enough that the game actually features bad guys on both sides of the Revolution, but you now want the marketing to cater to you as well? You won't be happy until us poor, sensitive Americans are "alienated" by the game's marketing as well? L. O. L.

TheHumanTowel
06-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Why is this comforting? that they wouldn't risk alienating one group over another because they get more money?
Because I couldn't care less how the game is marketed as long as in the actual game they deliver on a neutral experience. Not excusing Ubiosoft's marketing team though, what a bunch of idiots.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Because I couldn't care less how the game is marketed as long as in the actual game they deliver on a neutral experience. Not excusing Ubiosoft's marketing team though, what a bunch of idiots.

You know the marketing is skewed and unfair, why don't you have a problem with it? Ubisoft's marketing has shown they don't even care about the British fans they even released the British soldier slaughter trailer on the Jubilee.

Azurefeatherfly
06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
In my personal opinion, I do not think it is about marketing or catering to a specific audience, I think Ubisoft is afraid of what the American press and media will do with "footage of Connor killing Patriots".

An prime example is the horrendous coverage of what FOXNEWS did to Mass Effect with misleading information such as "full nudity" and calling Xbox 360 the "Sexbox".

I can already imagine CNN, FOX, ABC, and CBS all jumping on top of this to create controversy and it could be disastrous. If Ubisoft does show anything, they would need to carefully walk a fine line on this issue.

I do not think American Press and Media are mature enough to handle this.

EDIT:

For those who do not know or are curious, here is the horrible coverage of Mass Effect by Foxnews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

TheHumanTowel
06-15-2012, 10:27 PM
You know the marketing is skewed and unfair, why don't you have a problem with it? Ubisoft's marketing has shown they don't even care about the British fans they even released the British soldier slaughter trailer on the Jubilee.
Why should I care? All I want is for the game to be good. I wouldn't go as far to say they don't care about British fans it's just a cowardly decision by the Ubisoft marketing team trying to avoid any controversy in America. It's pretty patronising to Americans but I don't think there's any malice towards England in it.

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 10:38 PM
For those who do not know or are curious, here is the horrible coverage of Mass Effect by Foxnews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

disgusting people...

tarrero
06-15-2012, 10:44 PM

So you actually like and care for the monarchy?
Geez, that says A LOT!!!!

This is just a game, and remember the redcoats were probably the strongest military force at the time, and so the BRITISH EMPIRE, if there was some conflict during XVIII they were involved....
And I am NOT American by the way, I am from Spain....

PD fox news is just awful, I remember some of its staff calling The World Cup a communist, and therefore evil event.....

Turul.
06-15-2012, 10:51 PM
so sick of the namby pamby ********.

nearly every game has had a "bad guy" faction

AC2 had italian conspirators as bad guys
AC brotherhood had the borgia's/papal army
Revelations had Byzantines as the bad guys

and this time around the british are probably the main "bad guy" faction, considering they were tyrannical.
its pretty obvious that connor is going to be all buddy buddy with george washington so it would be hard to sell a game that
promotes a story that would contradict that.

and theyve ****ing stated it a thousand times. CONNOR'S MAIN ENEMY ARE THE TEMPLARS.

everyone *****ing about this whole thing needs to suck it up, grow and pair, and realize that ubisoft doesnt hate british people.

god so many ignorant *****s on the internet

playassassins1
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
so sick of the namby pamby ********.

nearly every game has had a "bad guy" faction

AC2 had italian conspirators as bad guys
AC brotherhood had the borgia's/papal army
Revelations had Byzantines as the bad guys

and this time around the british are probably the main "bad guy" faction, considering they were tyrannical.
its pretty obvious that connor is going to be all buddy buddy with george washington so it would be hard to sell a game that
promotes a story that would contradict that.

and theyve ****ing stated it a thousand times. CONNOR'S MAIN ENEMY ARE THE TEMPLARS.

everyone *****ing about this whole thing needs to suck it up, grow and pair, and realize that ubisoft doesnt hate british people.

god so many ignorant *****s on the internet

Dude, save your lecture... the guy won't stop...

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm Italian, I should be allowed to be MAD AS HELL at Ubisoft for making me kill my own people in AC2. But I'm not, because frankly it doesn't even matter. Even if the British were the enemies, why do you care? Ever played a WWII game? What about a modern warfare MIddle East game? How about your standard Russians vs the world game? There's always going to be an enemy, don't get mad when it's your people's turn to play that role. Mama Mia!

freddie_1897
06-15-2012, 11:10 PM
He doesn't have a problem with it because he's not an oversensitive nationalist who thinks their country is the best in the world and is too stubborn to face reality over a video game.

There, I spoke my mind.

Jexx21
06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
The article is written by an American.

He's saying that the American public can handle it.

brick177
06-15-2012, 11:57 PM
And unlike many games, this conflict ACTUALLY happened. Besides, there were way more Imperials than Rebels, so the Crown has some to spare.

xChupa
06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
In my personal opinion, I do not think it is about marketing or catering to a specific audience, I think Ubisoft is afraid of what the American press and media will do with "footage of Connor killing Patriots".

An prime example is the horrendous coverage of what FOXNEWS did to Mass Effect with misleading information such as "full nudity" and calling Xbox 360 the "Sexbox".

I can already imagine CNN, FOX, ABC, and CBS all jumping on top of this to create controversy and it could be disastrous. If Ubisoft does show anything, they would need to carefully walk a fine line on this issue.

EDIT:

Y'know, at first I was wondering why they weren't showing any "Americans" being killed also, but now this actually makes a lot of sense to me.

American media likes to turn nothing into something. They'll do anything to get a controversial story going. If the marketing for this game showed any sort of graphic violence towards Americans then surely desperate news stations like FOX would get all involved.
Having that kind of controversy pre-release would be horrible for their sales.
I don't know anything about British media (feel free to inform me) but I'm assuming they aren't making a huge deal out of AC3 over there right now. Reason I assume that is because if it were all over the media in Britain then surely Ubisoft would change up it's marketing tactics.

Then again, there are also games like GTA4 that are set in (a fictional) America where you can murder as many civilians as you want. But also then again, those civilians aren't actually enemies like they would be in Assassin's Creed so maybe that'd make a difference.

Regardless, saint_shield, you need to shut the eff up and stop crying.
Seriously, if you're so patriotic that you can't even handle virtual polygons representing your country being killed, then you have some problems and should probably just stop playing video games in general.

Besides, Ubisoft has said it's merely the marketing that is being portrayed this way, and that the actual game will be neutral. Isn't that all that should matter? Who the hell cares about marketing? AC3 marketing making you mad? Fair enough, stop watching trailers.

Their reasons for only showing Redcoats being killed isn't exactly clear. Perhaps they don't want to create controversy with American media, perhaps they don't want to anger the masses of the their customers, or perhaps they just think Redcoats make for good targets in trailers due to their contrast with environments.
No matter their reasoning, it shouldn't matter. At all. It's marketing, not the game. Now stop crying god dammit.

CSKarasu
06-16-2012, 12:16 AM
The article is written by an American.

He's saying that the American public can handle it.

No, no they can't, it is the reason why the media is skewed, because they would rather upset the British than the Americans. Ubisoft just aren't brave enough to air the ad because it might alienate some of their core market and then have accusations of anti-American thrown at them.

brick177
06-16-2012, 12:18 AM
As an American, when I saw this photo, I was scared a prominent colonial was going to be a target in this game. I'm glad my fears have been put to rest. Connor is obviously trying to hug this great American hero.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/5/59768/2142126-Wwfnk.jpg

tarrero
06-16-2012, 12:24 AM
That image is not what it seems, if you look for the scans of some that magazine, you will notice that connor is not running straight to Charles lee.
However, I have a strong feeling that Lee might have a HUGE role on this game....

CSKarasu
06-16-2012, 12:31 AM
This is the top featured comment of the article:

Whether or not Americans can handle it is pretty irrelevant as Developers, publishers and Marketing companies have decided for you that you can't.I struggle to think of a single game where Americans are the bad guys PERIOD. Every game I can name where Americans are the bad guys, they're also the good guys too...Hell I remember the Chinese developed/ing a game where the Americans were the cut-and-dry bad guys, and the press saw it as dangerous or offensive and not just the right ring press either. Even games which don't specifically say "America" manage to fall into this trope, Killzone is a great example of this (The North American Accented "ISA" whipping the British accented "Helghast" Nazi's...ironically)
Stop and think about it for a second, there are plenty of games where countries or nationalities are penned as the bad guys with no "Good faction" to save face. Middle Eastern countries, The Russians, The British, The Germans...How often, if EVER, has the American people been put in that situation in a video game? Hell, in modern media in general (TV, Film, games)?
American's should be embarrassed that industries you've helped build view you as snobbish, spoilt children that can't handle being cast as the bad guys, you should be calling out to see Americans take on a different role and expand beyond "The Hero" trope. Not condescendingly telling others to get over a problem you've literally never had to deal with, like a rich kid telling a poor kid to just "Stop whining about money! Get over yourself!"
Also, on the subject of us whiny british - We're not whining because we're the bad guys, we're penned as the bad guys quite often (usually as the head bad guy). We're whining here because we keep being told "It's not all about Killing those tyrannical British, nor being Jingoistic", but all they show us is Star Spangled Banners and hacking up redcoats.

It was even promoted by Stephen Totilo. I just have to applaud this guy, he knows what's up.

brick177
06-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I think it's funny that this stand is taken on a game based around historical events. If it was pure fiction, people would have a point (like GTA having a bunch of British and Nico Bellic being American), but this is a conflict that actually happened. Command & Conquer, worth complaining about. AC3, not so much.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
You`re one of the biggest hypocrites I`v seen in my life, You speak like you`re some Patriot for your beloved country, like you`re protecting it from some evil agenda aimed at it by a Video game that previously portrayed the killing and "senseless" slaughter of Arabs, French, Byzantines, Ottomans, English, Germans and the list goes on, but did you ever come here and save us from the evil agenda.. this..this Crusade against world countries and nations ?? You claim to be a huge AC fan, and im sure you are, and you know what im talking about, but did you EVER come here and stand up for any of these people being slaughtered ? or being portrayed as evil ??

Many previous trailers showed the killing of many ethnicities and portrayed THEM as evil, why didn't you stand up for that ?? I sit on a man's back, choking him, and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible, except getting off his back. That is Hypocrisy..

what you are doing right now, except the bit when someone is sitting on your back.. how the HELL would you feel ? JUST THE FREAKIN` SAME !! You come out here talking trash and trying to delude yourself that you have some valid argument ? and when presented with facts and very strong come backs, you just stick to your belief thinking that you`ll go to heaven or be given a Medal..

You lost this argument and any credibility It may have had a long time ago when You did not show disdain at how Ubisoft portrays another Country as evil.. and I know I may piss some people off, but Britain was a Tyrannical nation back then. The Britain of now is very different, but that doesnt change the fact that Britain Oppressed people at some point. Now get your balls out of your purse, and for GOD`S SAKE YOU`RE PLAYING THE GAME NOT THE TRAILER, MAN !!
We do not give a crap what you think, Its your opinion FINE !! but, you made your point the first time..

Do I meet your credentials, your lordship ?

Turul.
06-16-2012, 12:53 AM
I've come to the conclusion that the OP....is a troll.

i really can't believe there is some one this ignorant and believe Ubisoft is an anit-british company and is currently running a anti-british marketing campaign.

so, I am going to assume, he is but a lonely troll.

CSKarasu
06-16-2012, 12:57 AM
I've come to the conclusion that the OP....is a troll.

i really can't believe there is some one this ignorant and believe Ubisoft is an anit-british company and is currently running a anti-british marketing campaign.

so, I am going to assume, he is but a lonely troll.

What I find funny is any argument that is irrefutable people start to shout troll because they have no valid response.

I've said the marketing is skewed and this article backs it up, if you wan't to believe a company can do then wrong then feel free to believe that but don't call troll when you do not have an intelligent response to the argument presented.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 12:58 AM
What I find funny is any argument that is irrefutable people start to shout troll because they have no valid response.

I've said the marketing is skewed and this article backs it up, if you wan't to believe a company can do then wrong then feel free to believe that but don't call troll when you do not have an intelligent response to the argument presented.
Respond to my post then, you ****ing Hypocrite

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:02 AM
But the argument is that UbiSoft is pandering to American patriotism and based on UbiSoft's track record, that doesn't make sense. So, jumping to the conclusion that they are pandering is premature without more information.

notafanboy
06-16-2012, 01:02 AM
What I find funny is any argument that is irrefutable people start to shout troll because they have no valid response..

they have, if you just take a second to actually read it. We´ve already established that the marketing is a bit fuzzy, so why are you here still ?

CSKarasu
06-16-2012, 01:03 AM
they have, if you just take a second to actually read it. We´ve already established that the marketing is a bit fuzzy, so why are you here still ?

Then you should be helping me to get Ubisoft to take notice and apologise to British fans...

CSKarasu
06-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Respond to my post then, you ****ing Hypocrite

It's a block of text with no paragraphs and no formatting, it's pretty much the rule of the internet wall of texts are a no-no. I'm not being paid to decipher block of texts, format it properly.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Then you should be helping me to get Ubisoft to take notice and apologise to British fans...
Apologize for what ?? You sick Hypocrite ?? You have no proof to back your argument and you are refusing to respond to my posts, you`re gone.... you lost..
Marketing is skewed, sure we all agreed to that, but we do not care what you want to do... Apologize to British fans ?? No one gives a crap, you represent Britain ? I`d say thats being a Mouse in a Cat`s conference..

notafanboy
06-16-2012, 01:07 AM

everybody was british back then so i don´t see your point.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 01:08 AM
You`re one of the biggest hypocrites I`v seen in my life, You speak like you`re some Patriot for your beloved country, like you`re protecting it from some evil agenda aimed at it by a Video game that previously portrayed the killing and "senseless" slaughter of Arabs, French, Byzantines, Ottomans, English, Germans and the list goes on, but did you ever come here and save us from the evil agenda.. this..this Crusade against world countries and nations ?? You claim to be a huge AC fan, and im sure you are, and you know what im talking about, but did you EVER come here and stand up for any of these people being slaughtered ? or being portrayed as evil ??

Many previous trailers showed the killing of many ethnicities and portrayed THEM as evil, why didn't you stand up for that ?? I sit on a man's back, choking him, and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible, except getting off his back. That is Hypocrisy..

what you are doing right now, except the bit when someone is sitting on your back.. how the HELL would you feel ? JUST THE FREAKIN` SAME !! You come out here talking trash and trying to delude yourself that you have some valid argument ? and when presented with facts and very strong come backs, you just stick to your belief thinking that you`ll go to heaven or be given a Medal..

You lost this argument and any credibility It may have had a long time ago when You did not show disdain at how Ubisoft portrays another Country as evil.. and I know I may piss some people off, but Britain was a Tyrannical nation back then. The Britain of now is very different, but that doesnt change the fact that Britain Oppressed people at some point. Now get your balls out of your purse, and for GOD`S SAKE YOU`RE PLAYING THE GAME NOT THE TRAILER, MAN !!
We do not give a crap what you think, Its your opinion FINE !! but, you made your point the first time..

Do I meet your credentials, your lordship ?

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Apologize? For showing CGI and in-game footage that represents a small portion of the game? If you object to the violence, that is nothing new. If you object to soldiers dying, that's what happens in war and video games about war.

MT4K
06-16-2012, 01:23 AM
From one British guy to another saint_shield. please just let it go. at least for now.... Wait until the game comes out. Wait till you played it. if you aren't going to buy it. watch walkthroughs and video son youtube people will no doubt post.

If the game really does focus entirely on killing only redcoats. Then by all means. come back here and complain. Heck i'm sure lots of people will even join you should the game actually happen to be like the marketing is showing.

but i am asking you kindly to at least wait till the game is released and people know for sure what it is actually like.

Yes the marketing is being pretty biased, but the devs have said it isn;'t representing the true game... so if you want to complain about something. complain about potentially false advertisement going on, because if what the devs have said is true then it isn;t about only redcoats being killed. it's about the marketing team falsely representing what the game is about.

Even then though it would still be silly to complain because if you called false advertisement on silly things like this then you could technically call false advertisement on almost everything shown on tv nowadays.

It really is just business and as a british person myself i can honestly tell you that i would market the game the exact same way because America is a bloody big market and having the opportunity to play to their national pride is just a cash in waiting to happen.

It isn't about being biased or being anti british. it's about making money by trying to grab as many people from the biggest market as possible.

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:31 AM
And, most of the "marketing" has been CGI. The actual in-game stuff have been much more AC-like.

RzaRecta357
06-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm late to the party and didn't even read any posts. I need to start coming to the forums more again. Anyway, Did anyone else think to themselves... Well, who's the evil american then? Since Alex himself has said it's not giving away story..it's giving away twists.

Boom. Evil Americano.

Or for all we know natives will jump out of bushes and that's the twist he's talking about but I'm still thinking evil high up patriot.

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking you spend the first half of the game fighting colonists just because the Revolutionary war doesn't even start until the second half of the game.

RzaRecta357
06-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Makes total sense. They are gonna *****er his tribe or something which pushes him over the edge to become an assassin or something.

Man, I wonder what the point of him is. To Desmond I mean.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Here`s how I believe it`ll happen..
(My theory is that Animus 3.0 will allow you to see past conception)

Connor and the Assassins finally destroy the Templars and the colonists tell Connor "Welcome to a free America" then one day when Connor is in his home with his wife and Kid/kids BOOM Colonists betray him..

tarrero
06-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Spoilers regarding an important American Figure:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 He was british and had twins with an unknown mohawk woman.
2 Connor is a mohawk born from a native mother and british father.
3. On the April game informer issue, there is an uncofirmed image featuring a man with great resemblance to Charles lee´s artwork grabbing what it seems to be a young connor.
4. Connors village is going to be destroyed
5.He received a court martial veredict and had a grudge against Washington.
6. The game will span from 1753 to 1783
7 He died in Philadelphia, 1782
8 Philadelphia is set to be featured in the game, but on a more linear fashion, pretty much like AC2 Rome...

brick177
06-16-2012, 02:19 AM
In fact, I bet Washington discovers Connor's skill while fighting against him in the French and Indian war, eventually convinces him to join the rebellion, and then afterwards betrays him in some way. Washington is not exactly excited in that video after he watches Connor kill the Templar commander.

masterfenix2009
06-16-2012, 02:19 AM

Connor and the Assassins finally destroy the Templars and the colonists tell Connor "Welcome to a free America" then one day when Connor is in his home with his wife and Kid/kids BOOM Colonists betray him..
What is your theory based on? The past conception part.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 02:22 AM
What is your theory based on? The past conception part.
You`ll call me an idiot...
but it is based on nothing but the "Upgrade" part..

Azurefeatherfly
06-16-2012, 02:45 AM

This feels very much like the ending of Red Dead Redemption. Whether or not it is a good would totally depend on how it is executed.

Personally, I want to see each of these ancestral assassins all have a peaceful ending. I felt really sad when Ezio said that "the life of an Assassin is pain, you suffer it, you inflict it, and you watch it happen", I do believe that Assassins should have peace when their job is done.

I am not trying to discredit your theory in anyway, but personally I would like these assassins to have joy on their faces before they pass on.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 02:48 AM
This feels very much like the ending of Red Dead Redemption. Whether or not it is a good would totally depend on how it is executed.

Personally, I want to see each of these ancestral assassins all have a peaceful ending. I felt really sad when Ezio said that "the life of an Assassin is pain, you suffer it, you inflict it, and you watch it happen", I do believe that Assassins should have peace when their job is done.

I am not trying to discredit your theory in anyway, but personally I would like these assassins to have joy on their faces before they pass on.
I completely understand what you`re saying, and Ezio`s words truly had me feel sorry for him, whereas in the games he was shown to be an emotionless, cold-blooded killer, the film actually showed that he regretted these actions to a very great extent that it actually pained him to watch, deliver and inflict..

brick177
06-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Governor Dinwiddie rewarded Washington in 1755 with a commission as "Colonel of the Virginia Regiment and Commander in Chief of all forces now raised in the defense of His Majesty's Colony" and gave him the task of defending Virginia's frontier. Washington was ordered to "act defensively or offensively" as he thought best.[34] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington#cite_note-34) In command of a thousand soldiers, Washington was a disciplinarian who emphasized training. He led his men in brutal campaigns against the Indians in the west; in 10 months units of his regiment fought 20 battles, and lost a third of its men.

I bet he discovers Connor during one of these battles with the natives...

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2012, 04:24 AM
We all know American media...as if AC doesn't have enough FOX's ****ty coverage over pope hunting in ACII/B, if they show it killing Patriots, everyone is gonna Q_Q FOX will be all over it.
Another reason could be that the Templars on the Patriot side might be important characters, so it could be spoiler-ish.

Jexx21
06-16-2012, 05:58 AM
I don't think Washington will be the American to betray Connor, because I think that would be too obvious.

Jamison_J_B
06-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Speaking as a United States citizen, I could care less about seeing founding fathers or blue coats killed. Back in March I suggested that Benjamin Franklin is a templar (given his participation in the Hellfire Club, and other questionable facts). I also will not get upset when certain aspects about the United States past come up in this game, as long as it is historically accurate.

The only time I get upset is when people blatantly start "I hate Americans because xxxxxxxx". Basically, it's like saying that every single ​american is the same and all of them, regardless of the acutal person they are, are evil little bastards. Anyway, I say bring on footage of Connor killing a colonist at Gamescom next month.

Evenesque
06-16-2012, 06:39 AM
In fact, I bet Washington discovers Connor's skill while fighting against him in the French and Indian war, eventually convinces him to join the rebellion, and then afterwards betrays him in some way. Washington is not exactly excited in that video after he watches Connor kill the Templar commander.

Washington was known to be a very nervous leader who questioned himself quite often.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
While I don't really see this as the big issue that people are trying to claim it is, I don't believe the statement that showing Connor kill a Colonist is a "plot twist".

I'm sure that some Colonists are plot twists, I don't doubt that, but Connor walking up to a random Colonist soldier and giving him a neck full of Tomahawk is a plot twist? Nah, I don't think so. All that would do is properly show that Connor isn't biased in his capacity to kill.

Now quite obviously, I am not American, so Ubisoft's marketing isn't based on treating me like an infant and making sure I don't throw my rattle out of the pram. I couldn't give a **** what FOX News (if you could call it that) believe in their self-absorbed crusade for "controversial" stories.

Let's face it, we're all big boys and girls. I don't see how showing Connor killing a random Continental guard is going to change that.

TheHumanTowel
06-16-2012, 09:50 AM
But the argument is that UbiSoft is pandering to American patriotism and based on UbiSoft's track record, that doesn't make sense. So, jumping to the conclusion that they are pandering is premature without more information.
I think the article makes it pretty clear they are pandering to the Americans. The comments by the devs in the article show that there's a gap between the game that's being marketed and the actual game and the difference is that the Ubiosoft marketing team are afraid to show Connor kill a colonist because it might cause controversy. The American media probably would jump all over it but it's still despicable to mislead people like this.

EzioAssassin51
06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok...

#1 Saint_Shield probably wrote this himself :p
#2 I'll bet you anything this guy who wrote this is a complete hypocrite. Who wants to bet he would go spastic if Ubisoft did in fact show Conor only killing Americans? He says 'don't ubisoft think we can handle it' when he probably would still complain and say 'how could they do this? How could they market it like this?'

(Sorry if this has been said before haven't read through the whole thread yet... Speaking of which ANOTHER FREAKING THREAD ABOUT THIS CRAP???????)

Locopells
06-16-2012, 01:33 PM
The point is that, for whatever reason, they don't want to give away the Bluecoat targets yet, I guess they're more instantly recognisable then the mysterious Silas, plus if they have apparently Assassin supporting roles earlier in the game, then they don't want to do spoilers. And getting to these targets is likely to be the only time you need to kill Bluecoats. The Brits are still the main authority at the time, QED the main 'guard' population will be Redcoats, until the war is over. Will be interesting to see what free roam looks like then. Plus this:

Hutchinson said that there is at least some justification for only showing Connor kill redcoats. "You need a recognizable group when you're doing tiny demos or trailers," he told me during an interview in May. "And we made the decision, early on, that when you're going to show 90 seconds of footage and you're killing someone who is not representative of anything, for the general audience, this is incredibly confusing. If you're telling a story that, 'Oh it's about the Revolution and then you suddenly you run past George Washington and hatchet a guy [who fights for Washington] in the head, are people to takeawayfrom that you're against the Americans? We felt that it was just too noisy to try and communicate that."

I'm glad though that they do seem to be recognizing that there is a disparity between the Devs and the Marketing guys:

"There's definitely a decision on the communication side to align you in the communications with America," Hutchinson said, presumably referring to decisions made in marketing or elsewhere outside of his development team.

Through multiple meetings with Hutchinson and Pelland over the last couple of months, it's been clear to me that the duo respects the reaction of skeptical gamers and recognizes the dissonance between what is being said and what is being shown.

I just wish people would realise this whenever we get yet another thread on the topic (and yes I am also sick of hearing about it).

NinjaOnFire
06-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Of course marketing would want to show more Brits being killed in the Trailers, mainly due to America being a much larger portion of their target audience.

Locopells
06-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Of course marketing would want to show more Brits being killed in the Trailers, mainly due to America being a much larger portion of their target audience.

Duh.

Seriously though, you're right, I just wish they'd realised the s**t storm it was likely to kick up with the older fans who know that AC isn't about that and that ACIII won't be. That said, see the first quote in my last post. This being the case, they really needed to have said it beforehand.

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Duh.

Seriously though, you're right, I just wish they'd realised the s**t storm it was likely to kick up with the older fans who know that AC isn't about that and that ACIII won't be. That said, see the first quote in my last post. This being the case, they really needed to have said it beforehand.

I agree, especially with the CGI trailers (I'm guessing marketing creates those), which can't be representative of the game, since the devs have already stated that if you rush head long into a line of British regulars in battle, you are going to die real fast. Emphasizing the need to be sneaky and strategic.

BBALive
06-16-2012, 02:05 PM
So they finally cleared up the mess surrounding this whole subject. Hopefully people can stop bringing this up time and time again. Then again, a trailer, or a screenshot of Connor killing some bluecoats will really put the nail in the coffin. But like they said, showing the 'American' targets may spoil the plot.

I assumed it was a marketing decision all along, feels good that it was finally confirmed.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Well, seeing as Ubisoft are fond of the cinematic technique "Flash everything before your eyes with one second of footage for each frame", what's stopping them from making a Bluecoat kill montage?

Locopells
06-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't work, if they're trying to hide stuff, someone will pause and screenshot every bit, then pull it apart.

However I'm surprised they can't do a few generic screenshots, to keep people quiet...

TheHumanTowel
06-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Ok...

#1 Saint_Shield probably wrote this himself :p
#2 I'll bet you anything this guy who wrote this is a complete hypocrite. Who wants to bet he would go spastic if Ubisoft did in fact show Conor only killing Americans? He says 'don't ubisoft think we can handle it' when he probably would still complain and say 'how could they do this? How could they market it like this?'

(Sorry if this has been said before haven't read through the whole thread yet... Speaking of which ANOTHER FREAKING THREAD ABOUT THIS CRAP???????)
He obviously wouldn't complain if he's written an article calling for Ubisoft to show Connor killing bluecoats. Take your baseless speculation elsewhere.

De Filosoof
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM

EDIT:

It's either this or a simple money issue (or both ofcourse).

Let's just wait till the game comes out.
Maybe they will never put any controversial stuff in their games again because of this complaining, is that what you guys want?
It would mean the death of assassin's creed.

Locopells
06-16-2012, 02:18 PM

That's one and the same thing.

EzioAssassin51
06-16-2012, 03:03 PM
He obviously wouldn't complain if he's written an article calling for Ubisoft to show Connor killing bluecoats. Take your baseless speculation elsewhere.

How is that baseless speculation? It's probably true, as most people have stated, that Americans would complain all the same if the situation was reversed! He writes an article complaining because Ubisoft market in an 'unacceptable' way, which would still be the case if Americans were being killed.

pacmanate
06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
At least this show Kotaku have the same opinion as everyone else and show Ubisofts one sided marketing.

brick177
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
How is that baseless speculation? It's probably true, as most people have stated, that Americans would complain all the same if the situation was reversed! He writes an article complaining because Ubisoft market in an 'unacceptable' way, which would still be the case if Americans were being killed.

While "Americans" might complain if the role was reversed, I'd like to think Americans that enjoy the AC series wouldn't complain. Just like I'd like to continue to think that fans of the series in general wouldn't complain because they should know better what the game is actually going to be like.

Just like, Catholics probably complained that Papal Guards were being slaughtered by Ezio, but as a Catholic playing the game, I couldn't care less, because it's about the story.

EzioAssassin51
06-16-2012, 03:39 PM
While "Americans" might complain if the role was reversed, I'd like to think Americans that enjoy the AC series wouldn't complain. Just like I'd like to continue to think that fans of the series in general wouldn't complain because they should know better what the game is actually going to be like.

Just like, Catholics probably complained that Papal Guards were being slaughtered by Ezio, but as a Catholic playing the game, I couldn't care less, because it's about the story.

I know that's true, but you will always get those few people, who claim to be big fans of the series now no longer buying it for some reason, like this one. And as I said, if the roles were reversed we'd probably be having the same discussions as we are now!

I never really heard any catholics complaining but that's just me (for the record, I'm both italian and catholic and I loved AC2 and B, even when killing the pope, lol :p)

rileypoole1234
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I bloody hate Kotaku

swiftkinfe
06-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I have ancestors who fought in the revolution hell one was a captain and I wouldn't care 1 bit if he was so much as a Templar and to be honest I just would find it cool if Connor just bumps into one of them. I just don't understand it's a video game. No one complains about Call of duty, Mass Effect ( something about a destroyed tower in a trailer), AC1 or 2, Prototype (you kill American military) and Homefront as thats a country invasion.

brick177
06-16-2012, 03:51 PM
I know that's true, but you will always get those few people, who claim to be big fans of the series now no longer buying it for some reason, like this one. And as I said, if the roles were reversed we'd probably be having the same discussions as we are now!

I never really heard any catholics complaining but that's just me (for the record, I'm both italian and catholic and I loved AC2 and B, even when killing the pope, lol :p)

I'm Italian as well, just thought I'd get more traction on the christian reference, because Italians are always the bad guys... :(

Which, I'm ok with. Anytime someone gives me crap, I'll just say, "I know a guy..."

EscoBlades
06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Its a video game.

Also, its Kraptaku.

Just saying (really tired of this now)

Inorganic9_2
06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Is it entirely impossible for everyone to grasp the debate here? It's not that we British "can't handle seeing our ancestors killed", it's that the lack of balance in the marketing is pointing towards us all being subjected to American hyper-patriotic rubbish throughout the entire game.

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Its a video game.

Also, its Kraptaku.

^This. One thing I learned from Esco, Kotaku is never a "reliable source", learned from another thread.

brick177
06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah, and I think most Americans would say "my ancestors emigrated from some other country to the US, so saying that we're all sensitive to a bunch of British Rebels fighting against the British Crown is a bit of a generalization".

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Guys, He`s gone !!
Lets just leave this hideous thread to die..

Captain Tomatoz
06-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I find it funny that he complains about the trailer releasing during the jubilee. But I bet he didn't complain about the Zombi U trailer that came out at the same time. :D Some people are just to touchy.

BBALive
06-16-2012, 05:17 PM
As an American, when I saw this photo, I was scared a prominent colonial was going to be a target in this game. I'm glad my fears have been put to rest. Connor is obviously trying to hug this great American hero.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/5/59768/2142126-Wwfnk.jpg

Charles Lee was edited onto that image.

ConorMcA
06-16-2012, 05:26 PM
At the end of the day, the marketing division are a completely different division from the team that actually work on the game. I believe Alex when he says we will see Patriots fall at the hands of Connor, it's just that as others have mentioned, marketing is playing it safe and trying to avoid potential knee-jerk reactions from a huge chunk of their demographic, the USA.

Many trailers try to tap into the base instincts of those watching it, which is presumbly why we have all the redcoat slaughtering and stars n' stripes flying, so that people who have no idea what Assassin's Creed is will become interested in it. This is presumably why some trailers for AC Revelations were essentially Dubstep kill montages - to entice the "hur durr violence" members of the planet to buy the game.

Ubisoft doesn't have time to say "Well see, the reason that you see the killing of patriots here is because some of them are members of a secret order known as the Templars, who seek to control the world through-". Show Connor killing redcoats. Bam. People who have never heard of AC get what he's doing.

infamous_ezio
06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
It's ridiculous how people are still debating over this...
but yet again, it doesn't surprise me... their's no real cure for stupidity, just the chance of looking like a fool when the game does come out.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Its a video game.

Also, its Kraptaku.

And what? Just because it's an opinion piece, it somehow excuses Ubisoft's flawed marketing mentality?

Because that's all it's about. People want Ubisoft to stop being scared of making an American cry, and to be equal in the representation of the conflict, since Templars aren't on one side and aren't supposed to be the "bad guys" like they've been considered before.

We might be gamers, but we're not stupid. Game culture has always been stereotyped in the media, and we don't need to considered childish and gullible by the game developers themselves. So, unless Alex Hutchinson and other developers don't want to appear like they're waxing poetic when it comes to the "shades of grey" attitude to the game, their marketing needs to stop being so black and white.

I mean, this guy's supposed to be the Creative Director for Assassin's Creed 3, surely he has some authority over the marketing department when it comes to the representation of the game in advertisement.

TheHumanTowel
06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry do you know the author of the article personally? Because otherwise you have absolutely no evidence to say he's a hypocrite. He's written an article calling for Ubisoft to show Connor killing colonists, why on earth would we assume he doesn't actually want to see Connor killing colonists? You've literally pulled that out of nowhere based on your own predjudice against Americans.

naran6142
06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Ubisoft is a UK company right, I dont see why they would be biased to the States all of the sudden

Ac3 is the last game in the current story, its not like just bcuz the game is set in the American Revolution mean means more Americans are going to buy it, theyll buy it cuz they liked to other AC games

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Ubisoft is a UK company right, I dont see why they would be biased to the States all of the sudden

Ac3 is the last game in the current story, its not like just bcuz the game is set in the American Revolution mean means more Americans are going to buy it, theyll buy it cuz they liked to other AC games

Ubisoft is a French company, and the main development studio that creates Assassin's Creed are in Montreal, Canada, amongst the other studios situated through the world that also help to make the games.

Jexx21
06-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I think that the cinematic E3 trailer is accurate in it's depiction of the game. Now, not in the sense that we'll always be killing red coats, but instead in the sense that Connor is a badass who can take down his target. Also, he wasn't really rushing headlong into battle, he was hiding whenever the next volley of bullets came around. It shows that Connor isn't completely sure of the colonist rebels, as he doesn't know what kind of liberty and freedom that they are really fighting for.

The slaughter of the British troops is because at the current battle the Templar is a British Official. If we go after Templars on the Rebel side, then we'll probably have to take down American troops aswell.

You know, you can always choose to not kill any of the guards you fight. Redcoat or Bluecoat, you don't have to kill them unless they are a Templar. This is pretty much the only Assassin's Creed game where that will be possible (while hand to hand combat left them alive in the past game, it looks like you're killing them anyway).

But at the same time, the World Gameplay Premiere trailer is crap. I like what Connor is saying, but the imagery that the marketing team put along with it is crap and doesn't show what the devs say the true spirit of the game is. "I will fight the enemy, regardless of their allegiance" would of been a perfect place to show off the killing of a Continental army-man, yet they show a bear. What the hell, a bear? And then "The future of our land depends on those who are truly free" with the backdrop of the American Flag when he says 'truly free'. That last sentence sounds something more like Connor would tell Washington, or when talking to the Assassins, not on the backdrop of the flag.

That trailer was completely pro-American. The E3 cinematic trailer wasn't, however.

kudos17
06-16-2012, 07:00 PM
What I think is funny is that everyone who plays Assassin's Creed doesn't care. We are all neutral, cause we all know the real enemy is the Templars, not America or Britain.

What the marketing team is trying to avoid are stupid politics like FOX news and such blowing things out of proportion, like they've done before. Personally, I'm okay with that, I don't want a bunch of non-gamers getting angry at AC3's "Anti-American" views.

The stupid thing about that is, to not anger Americans, the British have to take the fall. Because possible American money > possible British money apparently. Very dumb...

Dymez_510
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Speaking as an American, I really don't a ****. I'm taking each and every opportunity to kill all of those historical figures when I get the chance. And most Americans don't care, either. There's just some people who look for something to raise hell on because they have nothing else to do. At some point, you gotta say "oh well." Like Rockstar did when they made Red Dead Redemption, and now putting animals in Grand Theft Auto 5.

Locopells
06-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I know what you mean. I can see the need, but it's still irritating. But hey, at the end of the day it's just a game. At least Ubi are now admitting there is a difference between what they're saying and what the Marketing team are doing.

Wait, there's animals in Grand Theft Auto 5?

there76
06-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Nobody complained when British dudes were killing American at the end of Modern Warfare 2.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I know what you mean. I can see the need, but it's still irritating. But hey, at the end of the day it's just a game. At least Ubi are now admitting there is a difference between what they're saying and what the Marketing team are doing.

Wait, there's animals in Grand Theft Auto 5?

There shouldn't be a difference though. They should show advertising without a biased perspective.

It seems like with Ubisoft cowering from the potential of bad publicity, they've stirred up bad publicity all the same. I find it slightly ironic that games companies today don't cave in to pressure when they deliver what's essentially false promises to their audience and face the scorn of their playerbase, but God forbid that FOX News can inflate an aspect of the game to be somewhat controversial and then they curl up into the corner to lick their wounds and don't bite back.

If I'd have known better, it sounds like games companies and publishers don't give a **** about the bond of trust between them and their consumers, but when it comes to the prospect of a knock on their sales, they're eager enough to lie down and have their pride wounded.

Locopells
06-16-2012, 07:43 PM
What should be and what is are worlds apart my friend.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 07:48 PM
What should be and what is are worlds apart my friend.

Well it's about time that the gap is narrowed.

EscoBlades
06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Until you work in marketing, and/ or have any experience dealing with the marketing of a GLOBAL product across numerous regions, you have no frame of reference whatsoever.

Until then its a video game. Pixels. Polygons. Code. It really isn't that big a deal. GET. OVER. IT.

There's so much else to talk about and all we seem to have every week is yet another of these threads, that end up going the same way and getting locked. Tedious.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Until you work in marketing, and/ or have any experience dealing with the marketing of a GLOBAL product across numerous regions, you have no frame of reference whatsoever.

Until then its a video game. Pixels. Polygons. Code. It really isn't that big a deal. GET. OVER. IT.

There's so much else to talk about and all we seem to have every week is yet another of these threads, that end up going the same way and getting locked. Tedious.

Well, if it's such a minor issue, then it shouldn't be so hard to resolve.

EscoBlades
06-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Well, if it's such a minor issue, then it shouldn't be so hard to resolve.

They aren't obliged to, and there's no need to if we are being honest. Gamers don't need to be spoon fed everything.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 08:20 PM
They aren't obliged to, and there's no need to if we are being honest. Gamers don't need to be spoon fed everything.

It isn't about being spoon-fed. It's about Ubisoft saying one thing and showing another.

If they can't be consistent across their company, it doesn't reflect well upon them.

EscoBlades
06-16-2012, 08:22 PM
It isn't about being spoon-fed. It's about Ubisoft saying one thing and showing another.

If they can't be consistent across their company, it doesn't reflect well upon them.

At the risk of spoiling the game well before release or revealing plot twists? I'll take my chances with finding out when i have the game in hand thanks.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 08:28 PM
At the risk of spoiling the game well before release or revealing plot twists? I'll take my chances with finding out when i have the game in hand thanks.

Do they need to spoil the game to show that Connor can kill a Continental soldier? Or is there an easy alternative in just having Connor kill a Continental patrol without having any story strings attached?

Evenesque
06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Do they need to spoil the game to show that Connor can kill a Continental soldier? Or is there an easy alternative in just having Connor kill a Continental patrol without having any story strings attached?

Might not be that easy. We've no idea why marketing isn't matching up with Corey May's intent.

EscoBlades
06-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Might not be that easy. We've no idea why marketing isn't matching up with Corey May's intent.

Pretty much spot on, and what i was trying to convey via my previous message about marketing experience.

Black_Widow9
06-17-2012, 01:16 AM
The thing is is that what we are shown in the trailers is all from the past. No country is the same as it was years ago in agenda or sentiment and we all have descendants from all over the place.

We understand and apologize if you are upset about what you've been shown but no offense was intended.

The fact remains that Connor is killing soldiers and templars not British people...

Black_Widow9
06-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm going to close this since it has turned into another duplicate Topic of the same subject rehashed. Please post about this here-
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/682947-Assassin-s-Creed-3-dev-promises-We-ve-got-nothing-against-the-British