PDA

View Full Version : Living City *Ideas for the Dev's*

ZombieJe5u5
06-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I have seen what the game play demo has shown us and let me start out by saying I am impressed and excited. The hacking and fighting and stealth vs action game play is something Ubisoft is great at. The most interesting thing is the Idea of a living city. As seen during the car accident where NPC's were interacting with each other and the Player in appropriate ways regarding the current situation. Weather or not the screen was scripted if they are shooting for that level of detail in the final game it will be amazing.

Ok, so now for my ideas. We did not see how the traffic and pedestrians behave normally during game play so this may already be in the game, but with most open world games like GTA and Saints Row the one thing that has always destroyed the immersion into the city was the NPC drivers and pedestrians always strictly following the "Rules of the Road". They stop at yellow and red lights, only cross the street when it is clear etc... Now as a Chicagoan I know that no one in our fine city is like that.

I would love to see some of these features make it into the game.
Most other titles were limited by the restrictions on processing power but with all that Ubi is shooting for here this should be possible.
- Drivers that speed up when it is yellow to try and beat the light
- Drivers that will try and beat the light even when it just turned red
- Cabs, **** cabs *shakes fist*, that swerve in and out of traffic to get by faster, all cabs...
- Rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon
- Pushy drivers who will take the shoulder and try to ride up than merge lanes
- Drivers that will blare their horn the second the light turns green
- Drivers that creep up on the stop line when it gets close to turning green
- Drivers that start going when they think it is going green, stop, than it goes green and they floor it
- Drivers that run stop signs full speed, rolling stop, etc
- Drivers waiting behind a stopped car that is turning, swerving around them to get moving again
- Drivers who will turn from the wrong lane
- Pedestrians who J-Walk
- Pedestrians who run to catch a light, even if it holds up traffic
- Pedestrian lines crossing streets completely stopping all turning traffic
- Pedestrians who walk slow, normal or running while crossing
- Pedestrians who react to cars blaring their horn at them to move (potently causing a fight or something)
- Delivery vehicles stopping in one lane of traffic to make a delivery causing congestion
- Delivery men (UPS, Etc...) having wind or something knock their packages off a cart and into the road causing problems
- Bike messengers or riders - may be hard if bikes were not in the game already but they annoy the crap out of me LOL
- Motorcycle riders who swerve in and out of traffic
- Emergency vehicles responding to things that are not you etc...

Without some of these features the city would not feel like Chicago to me LOL

anyone want to add to this feel free also lets discuss other things we want to see in the world that will make it feel more *Alive*

Mrxknown_JG
06-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Some of that stuff is in GTAIV. Saint's Row was a more arcade-like experience, but a great co-op one with less restrictions.

Anyway, I just want to see the pedestrians react in realistic ways. It could have been scripted, but that guy's wife/girlfriend that got shot after crash and the player pulling him out was nice.

The good Samaritan that ran up to one of the cars to check on their condition was great. It just as easy could have been someone trying to take their money, run away in fear, or call the 911.

Want I want most is that what the player does isn't easy to track back to him. Like if I did a traffic accident, the cops aren't going to assume I'm the cause because I'm the player.

So far, it looks good. But I just hope that wasn't scripted events. I'd like a more open approach to the missions. Maybe instead, I got across the street, waiting for the target to get out of the car and shot him. Of course, there needed to be a cutscene between them, but if that wasn't needed, then the long-range approach would have been sweet.

Vercun1
06-14-2012, 06:28 AM
If a game can immerse me in a place that I can actually believe is alive and real then its more than done its job.

cowboy3339
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
i agree with the above posts whole heartily but the one thing that i think this list needs for sure is the ability to enter businesses while just roaming around (assuming that the game stays open world) ie. going into places like bars or going to a bank and trying to get into an office etc. on your own to perhaps steal info on a side quest
as well if this is a possibility to add to everything add the ability to talk your way out of trouble in low tech situations ie. running into an employee in restricted areas etc. and have the AI change reactions to the situation

just my thoughts

Mrxknown_JG
06-14-2012, 06:09 PM
i agree with the above posts whole heartily but the one thing that i think this list needs for sure is the ability to enter businesses while just roaming around (assuming that the game stays open world) ie. going into places like bars or going to a bank and trying to get into an office etc. on your own to perhaps steal info on a side quest
as well if this is a possibility to add to everything add the ability to talk your way out of trouble in low tech situations ie. running into an employee in restricted areas etc. and have the AI change reactions to the situation

just my thoughts

This isn't an RPG, so I don't think there's a talk mechanic, but trying to hack business accounts sounds fun. Does anyone else think Ocean's Eleven?

Aversim
06-17-2012, 12:35 AM
As long as I can make an atm start spitting cash all over the pavement I'll be very happy. It would also be nice if a target went into a restaurant and you could change their order to something they are allergic to. Ultimate stealth.

ZombieJe5u5
06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
As long as I can make an atm start spitting cash all over the pavement I'll be very happy. It would also be nice if a target went into a restaurant and you could change their order to something they are allergic to. Ultimate stealth.

Hacking an ATM while on foot running from the cops, causes a mob to form blocking their way as they try to grab the cash, or the cops stop and grab too LOL

Edit* As a side idea, Hacking a cars GPS to lead an unwary target to a secluded area, a Phone hack that causes everyone to get tones of spam texts creating a larger diversion than just signal loss.

obliviondoll
06-22-2012, 06:51 AM
I voted for the "real and alive, but give me cool toys"

It's more about making the world feel "alive" than "real" as such. People need to react in ways that you can believe people will react, otherwise the toys will have less impact. But too much realism can also be a bad thing, so it needs to be balanced. And from what I've seen, this looks like they're getting the balance more right than most.

xChupa
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I want the world to feel real with realistic pedestrians and whatnot, but what I want most is a city that is fun to mess around in.

For comparison, I'll use Assassin's Creed as an example. AC is one of my favorite series and the games are a blast from start to finish, but that's it really. Once you beat the game it's still fun to go back and play again, but just roaming the city isn't really all that fun simply because there isn't really all that much to do.
A game like GTA IV (or San Andreas; didn't play the others) on the other hand is immensely fun to mess around in. You can mass murder civilians, go stunting in cars/on motorcycles, steal a helicopter and skydive into pools, steal a cop car and search for most wanted criminals, ect. All the little 'mini games' you can do add a ton of fun things to do once you've beat the game.

In Watch Dogs, I hope you can do many of these things you can do in GTA IV such as: kill civilians without any punishment other than being wanted (AC doesn't let you kill more than 2 or 3 civilians), rob banks, enter most buildings at any time, ect.

I know this isn't an RPG so this may be a bit unreasonable but I LOVED how in Elder Scroll games you could sneak into anyone's house at any time and go on a sort of stealth mission. I love stealth and I'd love if in this game you could break into stores or homes at night and steal things.

Maybe I'm drifting a bit too far from what the game is actually about lol...

jaracaca
06-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Big Map, Hope there'll be Large Rural areas. Rough roads

Realistic Car physics. (Minimum Like GTA iv cars)

view of the cockpit.

Car Windshield Functional Wipers

There must be “Repair” of Wheels, Engine, bumper, Radiator, shock-absorber, and etc. some Yellow light – Red light would show how dangerous is damage.

obliviondoll
06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
(AC doesn't let you kill more than 2 or 3 civilians)

The first game let you kill without consequences after you won the game.

GIONAScm2
06-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Ummm not really the best poll options. Most of them just contradicted eachother...

I voted as real as possible, btw.

JBanton
09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Big Map, Hope there'll be Large Rural areas. Rough roads

Realistic Car physics. (Minimum Like GTA iv cars)

view of the cockpit.

Car Windshield Functional Wipers

There must be “Repair” of Wheels, Engine, bumper, Radiator, shock-absorber, and etc. some Yellow light – Red light would show how dangerous is damage.

I like these ideas, I was impressed at how the red European sports coupe had exhaust backfire and a lack of body-roll. :)

I have seen a good bit of detail on interiors of the standard sedan, (http://watchdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Standard_Sedan) hatchback (http://watchdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Hatchback) and the Coupe. (http://watchdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Coup%C3%A9) I'll be very happy if they can maintain this level of detail and relevance to the real world in terms of vehicle design. :)

aparkes333
10-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I think early on they decided is this a realism game or an arcade game and where do we bridge the gap between them, trust me they will take whichever is the most fun.

ede292
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
For me, the most important things for immersion into city life are pedestrians who j-walk and "pushy drivers who will take the shoulder and try to ride up than merge lanes."

p0dd4172
03-31-2013, 11:43 PM
games like gta have huge playing area's with many many buildings, but you can only use the ones that are mission based or a shopping outlet.
will all buildings in watchdogs have purpose or even a minor role.
can all buildings be used for maybe theft, murder or even just to be a nuisance.
frighten residents in their home to extort money and return at a later date.
yes i know it sounds a massive task for a huge game like watchdogs, but you would set a new benchmark for others to follow improve upon.
i also agree with other comments about drivers and pedestrians

Tully__
04-01-2013, 01:40 AM
games like gta have huge playing area's with many many buildings, but you can only use the ones that are mission based or a shopping outlet.
will all buildings in watchdogs have purpose or even a minor role.
can all buildings be used for maybe theft, murder or even just to be a nuisance.
frighten residents in their home to extort money and return at a later date.
yes i know it sounds a massive task for a huge game like watchdogs, but you would set a new benchmark for others to follow improve upon.
i also agree with other comments about drivers and pedestrians

As nice as this would be, there are more limitations than the development cost. The more buildings you make accessible in an open world game, the more system resources (memory, CPU speed etc..) you need to have the game run smoothly regardless of whether it's a console or PC game. The development team have to choose a balance between making more of the map player accessible and keeping the amount of stuff down to a level where the system it's running on can still cope with acceptable performance. The bigger the map, the fewer buildings and features can be made accessible.

SoulAsylumFan
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Speaking of little details of cars, I'd like to see a spedometer, something that GTA has always lacked which I didn't like. It was mentioned that you'll be able to reach speeds of over 180 mph; let me see how fast I can really go with a speedometer.

Various radio stations with news broadcast in car about what's happening (and/or custom soundtrack option).

DubstepPenguin
11-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Speaking of little details of cars, I'd like to see a spedometer, something that GTA has always lacked which I didn't like. It was mentioned that you'll be able to reach speeds of over 180 mph; let me see how fast I can really go with a speedometer.

Various radio stations with news broadcast in car about what's happening (and/or custom soundtrack option).

I'd love to see everything in this post as well.

blogger360
11-24-2013, 05:32 AM
i would like it if there is an investment system like in gta 5